Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,976 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors (9869 Views)

First Bank Debtors. Starcomms Owing N40b / Forbes 2019: Dangote, Mike Adenuga Top List Of Africa Billionaires (full List) / Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Most Indebted States In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Neminc: 6:50am On Mar 16, 2018
Lagos State, with the reputation of having the biggest economy in Nigeria, is also the highest debtor to foreign creditors among subnational governments in the country, statistics obtained from the Debt Management Office have shown.

A document titled: ‘States and Federal Governments’ External Debt Stock as at 31st December, 2017’, also showed Kaduna and Edo states made up the top three indebted states in the country, going by their external borrowings.

With a foreign debt of $1.47bn, Lagos is the only state with external debt of over $1bn, as its proportion of the total $4.12bn owed by the states to external creditors is 35.68 per cent.

Kaduna State, owes a total of $238.28m, while Edo owes $232.2m. This means that Kaduna holds 5.78 per cent of the country’s subnational external debt, while Edo holds 5.63 per cent of the subnational external loan commitments.

Other top debtors among the states include Cross River, with external debt of $167.92m; Enugu, $133.11m; Bauchi, $109.83m; and Ogun, $107.45m.

Some of the least indebted states of the federation are Borno, $22.59m; Taraba, $26.56m; Yobe, $29.56m; Plateau, $30.07m; Kogi, $33.03m; Jigawa, $33.5m; Federal Capital Territory, $33.72m; Zamfara, $34.83m; and Benue, $35.5m.

As of December 31, 2017, Nigeria’s foreign debt stood at $18.91bn. Out of this amount, the Federal Government owes a total of $14.8bn.

This means that the Federal Government accounts for 78.27 per cent of the country’s external debt commitments, while the state governments account for the balance.

The Federal Government has been very active recently in external borrowing in a bid to achieve 40 to 60 per cent foreign to local borrowing ratio.

The plan, according to the DMO, is to ensure that the Federal Government does not crowd out the private sector from the local debt market.

It has also been borrowing from the external debt market to refinance maturing local debts in a bid to take advantage of lower interest rates obtainable from foreign sources.

However, domestic debts still dominate the country’s debt portfolio, with local sources accounting for about 73 per cent, while foreign make up the balance of 27 per cent of the debt portfolio.

http://punchng.com/lagos-kaduna-edo-top-list-of-foreign-debtors/

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by itchie: 7:50am On Mar 16, 2018
Lagos governments has mortgaged the future of the coming generations just so that one frog eyed, brown teeth, bald headed vulture's bank account will continue growing fat

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Paperwhite(m): 9:07am On Mar 16, 2018
Recall these are the APC states being governed by the so called "progressive governors"
Meanwhile Buhari their mentor have since been blazing the trail.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Mazeltovscotty(m): 9:19am On Mar 16, 2018
American debt profile is as big as its econony.
Only a few people with basic economic and financial knowledge would understand this.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by three: 9:33am On Mar 16, 2018
No surprise here!

This is what happens when you entrench political capitalists into goverment.

Lagos: Wants everyone in Lagos and their children and grandchildren to work for him.

Kaduna: sees nothing wrong in enriching and profiting from public funds (it will interest you to note that Jabi Mall was developed in partnership with Financiers on the strength of land asset leverage - of which land was provided by the minister - so what exactly did the promoter contribute besides making money off Nigeria's commonwealth because of highly placed friends). This is besides allocating 8 plots of FCT land to family members.

Edo: One wonders where all the money (security vote and Federal Allocation) goes espescially when one hears a former governor allegedly owns an airline.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:48am On Mar 16, 2018
Mazeltovscotty:
[s]American debt profile is as big as its econony.
Only a few people with basic economic and financial knowledge would understand this. [/s]
Comparing world's no 1 economy to your backward states it's the height of stupi..dity, just few months of low oil price 26 states in Nigeria were crying for bailout, many couldn't pay ordinary workers salaries not to talk of infstructures till today and you are comparing yourself with US, I can see how financial knowledgeable you are Ot.on..do grin grin

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Anambra1stSon(m): 9:49am On Mar 16, 2018
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Mazeltovscotty(m): 10:15am On Mar 16, 2018
post=65881820:

Comparing world's no 1 economy to your backward states it's the height of stupi..dity, just few months low oil price 26 states in Nigeria were crying for bailout, many couldn't pay ordinary workers salaries not to talk of infstructures till today and you are comparing yourself with US, I can see how financial knowledgeable you are Ot.on..do grin grin
it is too early to jump start a lovely day like this with.... - stooping so low to conversing with a simpleton of the highest genus. It's simply disparaging and an insult to the sensibility of economists in this forum. Notwithstanding, my point is.... I am not comparing America with Nigeria, I'm only trying to enlighten simple-minded people like you - that being indebted is not a negative economic pointer, neither is it positive; but we have so many advanced economies like America whose debt profile is as huge as their economy, yet yeilding fruitful economic returns. Like I said, only people who are well rooted in economic and financial activities will understand this.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by sorry1(m): 11:19am On Mar 16, 2018
Afonjas and borrow pose are like water and akara angry

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by IgboticGirl(f): 11:20am On Mar 16, 2018
Not bad as far as it is used for tangible project

i wchich Anambra can borow
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Queenserah26(f): 11:21am On Mar 16, 2018
Quite revealing
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by DEIFIED(m): 11:21am On Mar 16, 2018
Edo state need the hand of God

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by EXLOVER(m): 11:21am On Mar 16, 2018
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by chloedogie(m): 11:22am On Mar 16, 2018
itchie:
Lagos governments has mortgaged the future of the coming generations just so that one frog eyed, brown teeth, bald headed vulture's bank account will continue growing fat

Google the debt of United states of America as at this morning and quote me in replying my friend. You will faint when you see the figures. That is the country everyone is dying to enter including Britons. You think they just pick up loans and squander it? Picking up loans is not an offence, what you do with it determines if it is or not and accountability. Osun state has loans to service as well as Lagos state. Can you compare both states?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by tstx(m): 11:26am On Mar 16, 2018
Ehya
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Reference(m): 11:26am On Mar 16, 2018
Ha. But folks were saying that the debt was sustainable and that the state economy was robust enough to handle it. At that time I was like... how can the state isolate itself from the greater Nigerian economy. Now its proven that the way out of debt is to tax the citizens to kingdom come. Generator tax.... Internet tax, walking on government pavement tax....all loading....even execessive use of the vehicle horn surcharge and swearing and cursing tax can conveniently raise billions of dollars and Lagosians are good at those. Mega city things.... or French revolution... which way Lagosians.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by TheKingIsHere: 11:26am On Mar 16, 2018
Mazeltovscotty:
Only a few people with basic economic and financial knowledge would understand this.

Are you comparing a state in America with our dead states with useless governors?

Na wa for una o

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by chloedogie(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2018
ibabz:

You are such a fool! Go and read your history very well. So America borrowed money to build roads and boreholes? Nigeria can never move forward with people like you.

And Nigeria will go farther without people like you. The young man or woman just aired his opinion and the best you could do is to call him a fool? So how can Nigeria move forward with people like you that can't even objectively debate a simple economic topic without resulting into curses and insults. Grow up and be human a bit.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by farouk0403(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2018
That doesn't justify that the states are bankrupt

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by mybestlove(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2018
This Lagos sef. First in everything.

First in internally generated revenue

First in foreign debt

First in high taxation

First in fraudulent government

First in everything

Haba ambode and tibubu

10 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Hemanwel(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2018
I knew Edo state would be on the list cos it's still fresh in our minds, the memory of how Oshiomhole borrowed money to marry Iara.

As for Lagos state, there's a huge IGR, federal allocation, 13% oil derivative and to now hear that the state still borrows. Where are the monies going faa??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by ConcNiggress56(f): 11:29am On Mar 16, 2018
ugi
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by emeejinsm: 11:30am On Mar 16, 2018
Some how for Lagos oo , the biggest economy and the biggest borrower

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 16, 2018
grin
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Reference(m): 11:33am On Mar 16, 2018
Mazeltovscotty:

That is because of productivity. Is it the same as that of Lagos. Are Lagosians more productive that Americans or the rest of Nigeria for that matter. Then why the search under every rock for the latest tax idea. Something just doesn't add up. By the time Lagosians are taxed as much as Europeans or Americans and they cannot see London or Newyork then....
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by ibabz(m): 11:36am On Mar 16, 2018
chloedogie:

And Nigeria will go farther without people like you. The young man or woman just aired his opinion and the best you could do is to call him a fool? So how can Nigeria move forward with people like you that can't even objectively debate a simple economic topic without resulting into curses and insults. Grow up and be human a bit.

I checked the definition of fool - "a person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person." Please tell me if didn't sound like one. I can't waste my time with dunderhead.
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Mazeltovscotty(m): 11:48am On Mar 16, 2018
Reference:

That is because of productivity. Is it the same as that of Lagos. Are Lagosians more productive that Americans or the rest of Nigeria for that matter. Then why the search under every rock for the latest tax idea. Something just doesn't add up. By the time Lagosians are taxed as much as Europeans or Americans and they cannot see London or Newyork then....
economic productivity under a rigid tax system like lagos is another thing to analyse. I respect your opinion bt let us not shift our focus here. Majority of Nairalanders are too simple-minded to have understood that an indebted state or nation does not necessary mean poor economic output/performance let alone understanding my first comment on this topic. Anambra state's debt profile might be way too smaller than that of lagos state but that doesn't mean Anambra state is economically viable than lagos state. You will see so many people blaming APC for this and that.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by kolaaderin: 11:51am On Mar 16, 2018
Where is the over $55 billon debt the wailers were masturbating over in this below thread

https://www.nairaland.com/4375071/buhari-plunges-nigeria-into-n10#65471649
Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Igba123: 11:53am On Mar 16, 2018
Lagos I can understand but kaduna and Edo, I don't understand. Somebody pls make me understand why they should owe this much.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Kaduna, Edo Top List Of Foreign Debtors by Mazeltovscotty(m): 11:54am On Mar 16, 2018
chloedogie:

stop replying that slowpoke. He is a threat to civilisation.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are There Venture-Capitalists In Nigeria? / Which Of The Nigeria Cards Have You Used Successfully Abroad? (URGENT)! / Obasanjo Made Telecoms Business Thrive, Says Dangote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.