Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,521 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34598 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by seunowa(f): 11:35am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:

Sharap.

That was the name your ancestors went by.

The Ekiti Yorubas were never conquered unlike you slaves.

How then will you know your history when the name you call yourself was given to you by a Hausa man?
Ur problem is dat u av cognitive deficiency..i could av taken my time to explain some fact to u..

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by nextdoor84(m): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
u contradict urself if my ancestor goes by olukunmi why is a clan still called ekiti shouldn’t I go by the olukunmi. U are a big dumbass. The olukunmi are a Yoruba clan that still goes by the name in the heart of anioma land in delta state

Please which part of ekiti are the olukumis located...really wanna know!!
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:38am On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

The more common description in Benin used to be Nago or Anago or Ana probably it has changed with the influence of Nigeria.

These terms were used to describe now Yoruba peoples by the Spanish and Portuguese in their earlier records centuries ago

It is important to emphasize the difference between language and identity

Austrians ,Swiss,Italy Lichtenstein and Luxembourg is home to Deutsch speakers but they do not identify as German just as not all speakers of Arabic are not Arabs

Generally the Yoruba language was known as Anago
go on YouTube and listen to zeynab song she is nago and u will realize her Yoruba dialect sounds little hard to understand if u don’t listen very well coz she is from the center of Benin �� but if u speak to a Porto Novo person u can understand the Yoruba clearly this are the people I said refer to themselves as just Yoruba nothing more.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 16, 2018
nextdoor84:

i think u did not understand my post read the comment I posted my comment under to understand. The olukumi are in delta as far as am concerned regarding Nigeria not ekiti

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 16, 2018
ayzTIGER:
My man don't take this too serious. Inugo
shut up
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
i will not continue this topic with u coz it seems u are more dumber than the other ibo in this thread. At least the others are worth trolling but u take the cake as being the most ridiculous lol

Let me guess, you are quoting Wikipedia. Lol. Why angry because I tell you the truth? grin Now look at the last sentence in the screenshot you pasted. It says Olucumi/ Olukwumi/ Lucumi is spoken by the Oshimmili people of Delta State. Those Oshimmili people are Igbos.

Stop arguing pointlessly.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PFRB: 11:52am On Mar 16, 2018
Ekiti is an Igbo word meaning center. Ondo is an Igbo word meaning Yes,sorry in literal translation but it means feel at at peace. You guys should do some research.

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
shut up

grin No joy. No joy at all. grin

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 16, 2018
nextdoor84:

Yes, which part?
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
am telling u there is nago and anago this are Yoruba people in the center of Benin republic the Ana are in Togo but a certain Yoruba clan in Porto novo ajashe are just known as Yoruba nothing else no sub like ijebu or ekiti just Yoruba thats their identity i know what am talking about although Porto novo is near Nigeria that could be an explanation but they identify as Yoruba only

There is no need to create an unnecessary argument.

The Oyo people were the first to be known as Anago or Nago. Other "Yoruba" speakers came to be known by that temrinology especially in the zone of the Oyo Empire.The word itself is an Oyo word

This is well documented by the Portuguese and Spanish centuries ago.
You seem to be suggesting that migration stopped with the creation of Nigeria. You will be surprised to find out how many Yorubas living in Porto Novo are of Nigerian origin . Not Just Benin but Togo

FYI there was an incident of Nigerians must go in Ghana in the 60s right in the middle of the civil war most of them were Yoruba and that is why the 1981 retaliation went down well in Nigeria though today many don't know it was a retaliation

Emmanuel Adebayor is a good example.He is of Nigerian origin
That is all I have to say on the past .

Regardin listening well or not.

That depends on Your grounding in the language. What may see strange to you is commonplacee to another
I did not and will not comment on what is happening today in Benin but bear in mind that not everyone here is a child.
I remember, I did not read or hear, when Benin was called Dahomey so I have personal acquaintance with changes as they have occurred over time

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 3:18pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Oyo and Oba is not the same thing as oyoroba

The etymology of Yoruba is derived from these two words oyo and oba which when combined mean nothing in your olukumi tongue but is a deragoratory term used to describe your people after their defeat at the hands of jihadist invaders.

Not only did they sack your border town of ilorin, your capital in Oyo Ile, killed your General(s), Oba and Princess but also forced all of you to congregrate in the biggest IDP camp ever created -Ibadan.

You see the same Hausa/Fulani are credited in creating Ibadan, because it is from their jihad that you Yorubas all ran and converged in what is today Ibadan - the only city to be founded as a refugee camp!

The OP just heard some bullsh*t non-history from some ignorant and irrelevant idiots and came here hastily to publish it. When will you Igbo guys free yourselves from Yoruba hatred!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 3:25pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:
Thetruthsayer10, isnt about time you renamed yourself back to your original ancestry name?

Look at all present day "Yoruba" traditional associations, not one single one of them has the word "Yoruba" as part of their description?

Liberate yourself.

Why don't you people just mind your own business. We don't care what you people think about us. Proud to be Yoruba. Proud to be Nigerian.

Still hurting from the loss of 2015 election! Go to Yaba left for examination.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 3:32pm On Mar 16, 2018
9jakool:

Hello, I see that you've crawled out of your little rat hole. Let me make some things clear so your little rat brain can stop looking for trouble.

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin.

Number 2: The word Yoruba existed long before Ilorin was ever sacked. The first documentation of "Yoruba" was not even by a Hausa but by a Songhai scholar in the 1500s. Ilorin was annexed some centuries later.

Number 3: There is no such thing as "Hausa/Fulani" dialect. Hausa and Fulfulde are completely separate languages on their own right.

Number 4: "Yoruba" is not a derogatory term in the so called "Hausa/Fulani" dialect nor was it ever used as a mockery term. It was simply a name for an ethnic group SW of the Niger River.

Number 5: There is nothing like "Oyoroba." You made that up in your rat brain. The term that Hausas use is "Yorubawa" which is just how they say Yoruba in their language.

Now that you've been educated, you can now crawl back to the hole you came from.

Thanks for educating the Yoruba ethnic group hating ignoramus and demented lowlife.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 3:33pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

The OP just heard some bullsh*t non-history from some ignorant and irrelevant idiots and came here hastily to publish it. When will you Igbo guys free yourselves from Yoruba hatred!

Oyoroba slave, go and search for the oldest living relic in osogbo and ask her what the real name of your tribe is.

slaves

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 3:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

Thanks for educating the Yoruba ethnic group hating ignoramus and demented lowlife.a

There is no such thing as Yoruba.

Every afonja on this thread has admitted that the term "yoruba" is an alien descriptive.

Instead of you to go and find out what your ancestors called themselves before afonja's betrayal you are here clinging to a dergotray identity.

Pathetic and sad.

The Okumin people have really fallen and their ancestors will be reeling at the insult in their graves.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 3:44pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Oyoroba slave, go and search for the oldest living relic in osogbo and ask her what the real name of your tribe is.

slaves

You this guy needs some form of deliverance from some form of demons. Igbo in Yoruba language means "BUSH".tell me when you have ever heard it anywhere of Yoruba people calling Igbos bushmen and bushwomen. We would not do that because it is wrong to do so. You are a wicked, dirty-minded soul if you can not learn to respect what ever name people of other ethnic groups apart from your own chooses to be identified by.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 3:49pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Every afonja on this thread has admitted that the term "yoruba" is an alien descriptive.

Instead of you to go and find out what your ancestors called themselves before afonja's betrayal you are here clinging to a dergotray identity.

Pathetic and sad.

The Okumin people have really fallen and their ancestors will be reeling at the insult in their graves.

What's your business with what we chose to call ourselves . How does it concern you. We are happy and proud of who we are. PROUDLY YORUBA! grin

LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 4:05pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Pathetic and sad.

What did Yibbos call themselves in Ngwa? What did Arochukwu call themselves before they were enslaved by Akamkpas who installed Akamkpa kings in Aro that rule to this day?

What did Afikpo call theselves?

What do Ngwa call themselves ?

Go and study Yibbo history well before you come here to start mouthing Ignorance.

Yibbo people never called themselves Yibbo before colonization or Biafra so do not think everyone is ignorant of your history

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Oyoruba, dont you think it is high time you seek your true name?

Maybe from there you can liberate yourselves

Liberate ourselves from what!

We don't have a second class citizens mindset like you people who think you and every other people are slaves to northerners.

You Igbo people are the ones who need deliverance from mental slavery.

Nigeria is not a hopeless country you people are painting it to be. We will certainly emerge from our challenges. It is a matter of time. Believe, pray and do your own part to help the country succeed, not selling fake and adulterated cheap products on the streets of our cities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 4:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Pathetic and sad.

Tell us the meaning and etymology of Igbo ?

Does it mean slave as widely reported?

Was it ascribed by Igalas

We very much would like to know the etymology please

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2018
This thread will turn out to be a lot more panful than you expected

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 4:23pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

What's your business with what [b]we [/b]chose to call ourselves .

But Yoruba is not what you decided for yourselves

Your slave masters renamed you that name

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 4:23pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:
This thread will turn out to be a lot more panful than you expected
sharap

oyoroba

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:27pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
u contradict urself if my ancestor goes by olukunmi why is a clan still called ekiti shouldn’t I go by the olukunmi. U are a big dumbass. The olukunmi are a Yoruba clan that still goes by the name in the heart of anioma land in delta state

Do you people ever have Shame at all? Seriously Afonjas does your clan ever have shame at all? How many times do we have to tell you people THERE ARE NOT ANY YORUBA IN ANIOMA LAND!!!! Stop repeatedly trying to attach unaselves to aniocha through olukumni. We no want una!!!! The olukumni history traces them to yoruba yes but today they are not yoruba. The community in question don't claim una. Even the few celebrities from that side have never once claimed una yet you people just can't stop this patheticness. Please stivk to itsekiri you've been claiming and leave Aniocha land alone. Abeg. We don't want una!!!

6 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:39pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:

Please stop this. The Olukumi people are Igbos of the Niger Delta. Stop cursing your fellow Igbos.

In fact, stop tribalism. The South needs to unite, not all this tribalistic nonsense.

Don't mind the idiot. I highly doubt he's Igbo. Very likely an aboki trying to start shit. Like which igbo person will come here to insult olukumnis simply because he or she wants to insult yoruba. What an idiot if he indeed an igbo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 4:41pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Do you people ever have Shame at all? Seriously Afonjas does your clan ever have shame at all? How many times do we have to tell you people THERE ARE NOT ANY YORUBA IN ANIOMA LAND!!!! Stop repeatedly trying to attach unaselves to aniocha through olukumni. We no want una!!!! The olukumni history traces them to yoruba yes but today they are not yoruba. The community in question don't claim una. Even the few celebrities from that side have never once claimed una yet you people just can't stop this patheticness. Please stivk to itsekiri you've been claiming and leave Aniocha land alone. Abeg. We don't want una!!!

What's this emotional outburst all about?

You admit they migrated from Yorubaland and you are hyperventilating how they are not Yoruba again?

Are you normal at all?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

Don't mind the idiot. I highly doubt he's Igbo. Very likely an aboki trying to start shit. Like which igbo person will come here to insult olukumnis simply because he or she wants to insult yoruba. What an idiot if he indeed an igbo.
grin
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 4:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

sharap

oyoroba

The Igbos were slaves of Igala people who gave them the name Oneegbo meaning slaves

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 4:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

This is just wrong .
There is no evidence that an person GAVE the name . That any person RECORDED the name allegedly is not the same as giving the name.
The name Yoruba was generally applied to Oyo people and or close Northern Yoruba groups it did not Apply to Egba,Ijebu Ekiti etc.
The evidence for this is in the Oriki of these groups and this is why we advocate teaching Yoruba to young people. A lot of these orikis are on YouTube study them.
Whether the word Yoruba was applied to Oyo people by Ijebus,Ekitis Egbas or even Edo is debatable and would probably never be unravelled but the Oyo people exclusively used to be known as Yoruba and I have met in my lifetime old people (now deceased) refer to Abaja as Ila Yoruba(Oyo tribal marks)
It is only after colonizatiion and Nigeria that everyone came to be known as Yoruba.In Benin for long they were know as Nago or Anago.
It is Nigeria that forced this Yoruba identity on everyone but historically it was the Oyos and arguably this name was applied to them by any one of their neighbours whether from the Oduduwa group or not no one knows

Igbos trying to twist our history on this thread should shut up and find something else to do.

The name Yoruba does not carry any negative connotation. It does not matter to us where it originated from. It was adopted by the people whose origins was from Ile-Ife, the ancestral home of all Yoruba language speaking people to distinguish them from other people. This happened after the fall of the Oyo Empire.

The Yoruba speaking people of the present southwest -Nigeria originally consist of several independent kingdoms or nation states ruled by a king known as Oba. The kingdoms includes Ile-Ife, Oyo, Ijebu, Ilesha, Owo,Ketu, Ede, and several others. Each kingdom had its own boundary and king. I think you could be counting up to 24 or more of them.

Eventually Oyo gained ascendancy amongst the others and dominated them militarily, politically, and economically. The Alaafin of Oyo became the de facto emperor of what was then known as Oyo Empire. The other Yoruba kingdoms became vassal states under the Alaafin paying yearly tributes to the Oyo Kingdom. At that time, the entire Yorubaland whose boundary extends from the coast of present day Ghana to Warri in present day Delta state, south of the Niger Delta was referred to as the Oyo Kingdom.

At the fall of the Oyo Empire which was actually celebrated by the other Yoruba kingdoms due to their desire for independence from Oyo colonialism, the other Yoruba kingdoms quickly reasserted their political independence from Oyo. Overtime, there arose the need for a unifying name with which to identify these people whose ancestry could be traced back to Ile-Ife. Since Oyo and Ile-Ife were formerly co-equal kingdoms , it would be inappropriate to adopt any of these names, hence the adoption of Yoruba.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:05pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
ojukwu stop acting like u know history. The name Yoruba was given by the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba in his book and was only popularized by Hausa to refer to people of oyo. Hausa did not sack Oyo Ile the nupe did and no oba of oyo was killed. I don’t know where ipob get their history facts maybe there is an alternative facts privy only to ipob that the rest of the world doesn’t know about.
Don't know that ipob now has their own version of history book? grin cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:11pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

What did Yibbos call themselves in Ngwa? What did Arochukwu call themselves before they were enslaved by Akamkpas who installed Akamkpa kings in Aro that rule to this day?

What did Afikpo call theselves?

What do Ngwa call themselves ?

Go and study Yibbo history well before you come here to start mouthing Ignorance.

Yibbo people never called themselves Yibbo before colonization or Biafra so do not think everyone is ignorant of your history
In as much as I hate tribal nairaland wahala, I'll want to set the record straight on this.
Igbo means people in the Igbo language and that is why some names of people and places all over Igboland have an Igbo prefix.
Igboukwu is in Anambra and it means great people, Igbokwe means the people agree, Igboanugo means the people have heard etc. Just the few examples I can think of for now. So the word Igbo has a meaning in the Igbo language.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Kaduna Government Gives Conditions For El-Zakzaky To Travel / Nigeria Police To Go On 2-Week Strike Over Salary, Outdated Weapons / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.