Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,429 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34597 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

Just the way we gave you your own name. Igbo= people living in the bush.
i is true o. I read it somewhere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 5:16pm On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

What's this emotional outburst all about?

You admit they migrated from Yorubaland and you are hyperventilating how they are not Yoruba again?

Are you normal at all?

I am an Anioma. I even have siblings, big sister, married into olukumni community therefore, I know my own people.

We do not have yoruba in aniomaland. You people need to have shame!!

7 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:16pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

What does "Yoruba" mean in your yoruba tongue?

Oyoroba!

What does igbo means in igbo tongue? Because in Yoruba tongue, igbo means bush. This is what your tribe means in Yoruba tongue. But we have you the name because we see you as people living in the bush.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:22pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Say what you know please, I'm not into rants.
Go ask people of Oyigbo(orinally Obigbo) and Ibusa(orinally Igbouzo) what the original name means, remember the first example is in Rivers state and the latter is in Delta state.
You are very much into rants and ignoraant speech.

Igbo means slave or bush dweller and was ascribed to Igbos by Igalas

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rlauncher(m): 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2018
igbodefender:
Olukumi has their present homeland deep in Delta part of Igbo Land. Name any other place in Africa where it is spoken indigenously apart from Anaocha Local Government in the Igbo part of Delta State.

The other people that speak it are the descendants of the Olucumis that were taken to America during the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

Olucumi is an ancient Igbo Language.

Land-grabbing instinct detected.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:
You are very much into rants and ignoraant speech.

Igbo means slave or bush dweller and was ascribed to Igbos by Igalas
Any intelligent mind would be happy I taught you something they've never bothered knowing, instead of you to be happy and thanking me, you are busy spoiling for an e-fight.
Just know that Igbo has a meaning in the Igbo language.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:30pm On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Oyo and Oba is not the same thing as oyoroba

The etymology of Yoruba is derived from these two words oyo and oba which when combined mean nothing in your olukumi tongue but is a deragoratory term used to describe your people after their defeat at the hands of jihadist invaders.

Not only did they sack your border town of ilorin, your capital in Oyo Ile, killed your General(s), Oba and Princess but also forced all of you to congregrate in the biggest IDP camp ever created -Ibadan.

You see the same Hausa/Fulani are credited in creating Ibadan, because it is from their jihad that you Yorubas all ran and converged in what is today Ibadan - the only city to be founded as a refugee camp!
What is the name of the general killed in oyo Mr ipob historian.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:32pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Any intelligent mind would be happy I taught you something they've never bothered knowing, instead of you to be happy and thanking me, you are busy spoiling for an e-fight.

Languages borrow words.

study . It is called etymology

The Word language in English has its origin in the Latin lingual which means tongue.

Igbo is a recent addition to the lexicon but the etymology is from outside.

You cannot deny the phenomenon of outside influence on Igbo language especially those with Non Igbo neighbours

We know for a faact that people never referred to themselves as Igbo people before colonization. Certaiinly true for Aros,Ngwa and many others including Ikwerre with some mutual linguistic intelligibility.

By the way it originally was OYIGBO to start with

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:32pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
lol u know get sense at all the op said the meaning of Yoruba comes from the combination of oyo and oba in Hausa way of speaking which means it still means oyo and king or basically oyo king in Hausa way of pronouncing it so how is it a mockery to Yoruba my osu friend?
You are replying a demented man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 5:33pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nonaira1:

I am an Anioma. I even have siblings, big sister, married into olukumni community therefore, I know my own people.

We do not have yoruba in aniomaland. You people need to have shame!!

You are the shameless fool. You said they migrated from Yorubaland and you are still confused as to whether they are Yorubas!

Can igbos in Lagos ever become Yoruba?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 5:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:

But you sure know that there's nothing like igbo 50 years ago. It was eboe, before turning to ibo and later igbo presently.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:36pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Languages borrow words study . It is called etymology

The Word language in English has its origin in the Latin lingual which means tongue.

Igbo is a recent addition to the lexicon but the etymology is from outside.

You cannot deny the phenomenon of outside influence on Igbo language especially those with Non Igbo neighbours

We know for a faact that people never referred to themselves as Igbo people before colonization. Certaiinly true for Aros,Ngwa and many others including Ikwerre with some mutual linguistic intelligibility.

By the way it originally was OYIGBO to start with
Give me links and not hear say.
Ibusa and Oyigbo I gave as examples, the indigenes still pronounce those places with their original names even if it is written and spelt in the revised version after the war. Say what you know mr

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 5:37pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
i is true o. I read it somewhere.

That the truth bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:37pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Give me links and not hear say.
Ibusa and Oyigbo I gave as examples, the indigenes still pronounce those places with their original names even if it is written in the revised version after the war. Say what you know mr
You are the one that needs to provide links to back your absurd assertions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 16, 2018
rlauncher:

Land-grabbing instinct detected.

Lol.
Na truth. The Olucumi are on our side of the pond. They are us and we are them. And last time I checked, Delta North was Igbo.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:41pm On Mar 16, 2018
9jakool:

Hello, I see that you've crawled out of your little rat hole. Let me make some things clear so your little rat brain can stop looking for trouble.

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin.

Number 2: The word Yoruba existed long before Ilorin was ever sacked. The first documentation of "Yoruba" was not even by a Hausa but by a Songhai scholar in the 1500s. Ilorin was annexed some centuries later.

Number 3: There is no such thing as "Hausa/Fulani" dialect. Hausa and Fulfulde are completely separate languages on their own right.

Number 4: "Yoruba" is not a derogatory term in the so called "Hausa/Fulani" dialect nor was it ever used as a mockery term. It was simply a name for an ethnic group SW of the Niger River.

Number 5: There is nothing like "Oyoroba." You made that up in your rat brain. The term that Hausas use is "Yorubawa" which is just how they say Yoruba in their language.

Now that you've been educated, you can now crawl back to the hole you came from.
In ipob historian book, oyoruba exist. So many things existed in those pig history book. Na so one of the ipob said they are the first settlers in Ile Ife. That Yoruba people chased them away and they had to run to their present eastern part grin. Igbodefender, come and see o.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:41pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

You are the one that needs to provide links to back your absurd assertions
At least I've shown you three locations in Igboland with Igbo in their names and two other names of people, you can verify from them. I'm sure other Igbos on this platform can provide more but that can not be said of you.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:42pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
At least I've shown you three locations in Igboland with Igbo in their names and two other names of people, you can verify from them. I'm sure other Igbos on this platform can provide more but that can not be said of you.

Ijebu Igbo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:43pm On Mar 16, 2018
It means bush and Igbo people are either bush dwellers or slaves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:45pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

Ijebu Igbo
Lol, meaning that part of Yorubaland is populated by the Igbo people so don't drag it with Ndigbo next time.
Meanwhile, I need just one name of place or person in Yorubaland with Yoruba as a prefix or suffix to the name.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
how far my osu friend whats the meaning of osu
Chai, no start that one this afternoon o hehehehehe grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:
It means bush and Igbo people are either bush dwellers or slaves
So Ijebu Igbo means slaves or bush dwellers, now I'm getting the drift.
Na you talk am o
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

You are the shameless fool. You said they migrated from Yorubaland and you are still confused as to whether they are Yorubas!

He is right.

They migrated from today's Yoruba land as in, they were the original inhabitants of Ile Ife. Some Olucumi also remain as indigenous people of Ile Ife today. That is the Obatala/Oluyare/ Igare people.

Most Anioma are descended from this stock of Igbo. That is why they claim to have come from somewhere in the West.

How they left the Nri area earlier on to become the first to settle in the West? There is a book that explains that. Will get the link and post here.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
really so people from Germany doesn’t refer to themselves as German well am honored to learn from ur vast knowledge about things

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
Lol, meaning that part of Yorubaland is populated by the Igbo people so don't drag it with Ndigbo next time.
Meanwhile, I need just one name of place or person in Yorubaland with Yoruba as a prefix or suffix to the name.

You are twisting logiic name one place In America France Germany etc with such ? What you will find is that places are often named from outside as in Britannia by the Romans Al-Sud The South in Arabic (Sudan) Igbos (Slave or Bush people) by Igalas

That is how it works

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 5:49pm On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

Name whenever you've heard Zeal from Styl-plus ever called himself yoruba? Even when he was called the igbo boy in styl plus, did he ever come out to say otherwise. Ironically enough, he's from the olukumi community.

What about Dr Amankwe, another Olukumni, call himself yoruba?

What about Rose odika, Helen Anyamelune, etc ever called themselves yoruba?

Hell which of this name, all of whom are olukumnis sound yoruba to you.

Fucking HAVE SHAME!!!!

Stick to despereately attaching yourselves to iteskiri and leave Anioma alone. You don't exist in our land and we don't want una!!

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:50pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
really so people from Germany doesn’t refer to themselves as German well am honored to learn from ur vast knowledge about things
Neither do they refer to their country as Germany either . This is true for Spain Italy Russia etc

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 5:53pm On Mar 16, 2018
0monnak0da:

You are twisting logiic name one place In America France Germany etc with such ? What you will find is that places are often name from outside as in Britannia by the Romans Al-Sud The South in Arabic (Sudan) Igbos (Slave or Bush people) by Igalas

That is how it works

Have you heard of ille de France in France, Deutsheland is what Germans call their country and not Germany, you can ask them anyway but just answer my question, give me a name of person or place in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 5:55pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yyeske:
So Ijebu Igbo means slaves or bush dwellers, now I'm getting the drift.
Na you talk am o

Ijebu prefixes the names of Ijebu towns

Ijebu Igbo siimply means Ijebu farm or forest where people travelled to farm or hunt in those days before it became populated

In English you would have similar things

Like with towns suffixed with WOOD or GREEN OR COMMON OR HEATH

So in English that would be Ijebuwood

like Hollywood cool cool

Educate yourself

When you start calling a people WOOD don't you think that is serious

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 16, 2018
Strikethem:
In ipob historian book, oyoruba exist. So many things existed in those pig history book. Na so one of the ipob said they are the first settlers in Ile Ife. That Yoruba people chased them away and they had to run to their present eastern part grin. Igbodefender, come and see o.

grin It was Moremi Ajesoro, the beautiful Yoruba woman that seduced the Igbo king Obatala Oreluere and stole the secret of the Igbo warriors who were fighting and almost succeeding in reclaiming Ife. Just like in the biblical story of Samson and Delilah, Oreluere fell for Moremi's considerable charms and divulged the Igbo war secret to her. She now went and told her brothers.

Once she told the Yorubas the secret, the Igbos lost the war. Moremi Hall in Unilag is used to honour her for that feat till this day. If not for her, the Igbos would likely have recaptured Ife.

Edit: to show that Igbo and Yoruba are brothers, Oduduwa later recalled the embittered Obatala, asked him to join him in ruling Ife, and gave him his first daughter Okanbi Iyunade in marriage.

By that time Obatala Oreluere's son Prince China, who had warned him against falling for Moremi, was already in Benin- Anioma with the people you call Niger Delta Igbos today. Most Anioma was then just their farmland, but became their final settlement till this day.

Source: https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://www.amazon.com/History-Igbo-World-Ancient-Civilization-ebook/dp/B01K4AIUO8&hl=en-NG

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

President Bola Tinubu Welcomes Senate President Godswill Akpabio To The Villa / Foreign Investors Pour Into Nigeria As Economy Accelerates (Updates) / Kaduna Government Gives Conditions For El-Zakzaky To Travel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.