Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,769 members, 7,824,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD (4205 Views)

Honda 03 EOD For Grab N1.7million / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Embark’s Truck Completes 2400mi Trip From LosAngeles To Florida Without A Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2018
This is the story of how I spent 5 days on the road between Benin and Abuja because of one car. Pls the purpose of this thread is to detail things I went through so someone else can learn something from my ordeal should they find themselves in a similar situation.
First let me say I have never been a fan of the Honda Accord and I have my reasons. I only agreed to travel with this one as it was the only option. I attended a wedding in Benin last week with the car. Left Abuja early Thursday. Before then the car was having minor overheating issues for which I visited the mechs a day prior to check that and other things. They checked and couldn't find anything wrong with the cooling system. I embarked.The temperature rose only once on the way and after letting it cool for about 30mins we continued and made Benin in record time I must say. EOD V6 can run sha.
Got to Benin and did all the running around within Benin Friday and Saturday without any issues. Just once the brake was making sound as I was entering the hotel. I'll not comment on my personal thoughts about Benin.
I will continue...

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Marpol
Ishilove

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2018
Sunday morning we embarked on the return trip and that's where it started. As I was making a U turn in front of our inlaws's house it happened. Every EOD driver's worst fear- I heard a loud ku! sound and before I could finish turning the front tire had pulled off, on a Sunday. Luckily we got a mech and luckily he was also able to buy the nut that pulled. Then he tied it with a metal wire after bolting the nut in place. I didn't know much about ball joints to be honest as this was my first experience with a Honda. Before now I've travelled extensively with 2 other cars- 03 and 06 Corolla and there had always been rest of mind. Also used a babyboy and another 4 cylinder EOD but never travelled with them. Anyways we finally left Benin. Now was around 1pm. All was well until about 2km after the JW headquarters as I attempted to clear for the car's occupants to relieve themselves it pulled again. In the middle of nowhere under the hot sun. Worse my phone had no reception. I had to start begging any passing thing in any direction to take me to anywhere around where I could find a mechanic. Remember this was a Sunday. This was one of the adverse effects of travelling on a Sunday. The merits were the roads were free.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:25pm On Mar 16, 2018
Finally I found one old Hausa man with an old bike who agreed to stop and carry me. We rode almost another kilometre before finding the nearest settlement. But there was no mechanic around. But I found one really helpful Hausa guy (I maintain that Northerners are some of the nicest Nigerians. It's just a handful of idiots among them who cause all the damage and take all the headlines. Story for another day). This guy first allowed me use his phone to make calls, then offered to follow me to check the problem. He was a mechanic but only repaired trailers. We got there and he used a wire to tie the joint after fixing the nut that had fallen off and which by now had washed and said we should manage it to his side. We couldn't find any other nut of that size. I disagreed and he insisted that it would hold. We moved cos that portion of the road was lonely, broken and dangerous. Less than 500 metres later it now pulled on the road. But atleast this time there was a small village there with shelter and people selling stuff by the roadside. I had to call my brother from Benin to come with his car and bring a competent mechanic with a complete ball joint. We waited and he finally arrived like one hour later. By now it was getting close to 5pm.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2018
Mech came and had bought the wrong size of ball joint. But he did use a strong nut to hold the joint so we could get the car back to Benin atleast. I paid the Hausa guy off and thanked him for his help. We managed the car back to Benin with all the noise it was making. Spent the night in Benin not knowing that was just the beginning of our problems with that EOD
I'll continue later

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Blakjewelry(m): 8:26pm On Mar 16, 2018
Wey pictures na, abi travel yourself by yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Caustics: 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2018
were you robbed. sorry
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Readonee35L(m): 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
People Keep endangering their lifes everyday blaming the poor Honda. Not doing the required maintenance on the suspension.
Motor leg go they sound ( Kpom) una go still carry am travel.

You are lucky you didnt get killed.

8 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by aieromon(m): 9:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
Honda reggae blues...

OP,your thread won't be complete without pictures.

You no learn photography for school ni? Even if na 1MP camera,we go manage am.

8 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
Monday morning we fixed the correct ball joint and set out around 10am. Just after Ekpoma I noticed the car temperature rising. Stopped for a while to let it cool and moved again. 5 minutes later temperature had soared to red. Quickly parked for like 45 mins then checked radiator to find out water had nearly dried. Water I checked that morning. Refilled radiator and moved again, getting to Ewu just after Uromi junction at a road diversion there temperature rose high again and this time I couldn't find any suitable space to park well. By the time I saw a pocket of space and was about clearing the engine had tripped off and I managed to park. Checked radiator it was literally empty. Refilled and waited then tried starting ignition and this time it wasn't starting again. Tried severally, people around even came to help. Someone later came and said he was a mech. He checked everything and said the top gasket had failed. Meaning the engine would have to be opened to change it and it wasn't something that could be done that day. Kai. This was around 2-3pm. I had my mum, sister and younger brothers with me and our destination was Abuja. What to do. Immediate concern was how to even get the car to a safe spot from that place since it wasn't starting again. Then what to do about my family with me. We had little cash left after wedding expenses and the nearest family we knew there were either in Benin, Anambra or Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 9:17pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:
Sunday morning we embarked on the return trip and that's where it started. As I was doing a U turn in front of our inlaws's house it happened. Every EOD driver's worst fear- I heard a loud ku! sound and before I could finish turning the front tire had pulled off, on a Sunday. Luckily we got a mech and luckily he was also able to buy the nut that pulled. Then he tied it with a wire. I wasn't convinced but I accepted. Then we left Benin. Now was around 1pm. All was well until about 2km after the JW headquarters as I attempted to clear for the car's occupants to relieve themselves it pulled again. In the middle of nowhere under the hot sun. Worse my phone had no reception. I had to start begging any passing thing in any direction to take me to anywhere around where I could find a mechanic. Remember this was a Sunday. This was one of the adverse effects of travelling on a Sunday. The merits were the roads were free.

You are most likely the carefree(less) type.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 9:18pm On Mar 16, 2018
Readonee35L:
People Keep endangering their lifes everyday blaming the poor Honda. Not doing the required maintenance on the suspension.
Motor leg go they sound ( Kpom) una go still carry am travel.

You are lucky you didnt get killed.

For the record the moment the joint pulled was the very first time I heard any noise from that area. If this has happened to you you'll agree that it very rarely gives any warning. The car's only issue prior to the journey was minor overheating as I said
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 9:23pm On Mar 16, 2018
luvinhubby:

You are most likely the carefree(less) type.

There's actually a hole in the bolt where you insert a metal wire after fixing the nut. I think the problem was that the nut he bought was not threaded properly that was why it pulled
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 9:28pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:

In the middle of nowhere, with a family in the car, you'll accept any fix that can at least get the car out of that spot to the nearest place where there are humans. And he fixed the fallen nut before attempting to bolt it with a metal wire

You said in front of your in laws house and only God knows the part of the suspension system that was tied with a wire for a Benin - Abuja journey.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by chibjohn(m): 9:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
There is nothing minor about overheating. I think you are bad at maintaining cars. Don't blame the poor Honda. How can you travel that distance with a car that is overheating and expect it to perform fine? That you traveled that far with an overheating car without fixing it first says so much about your car maintenance culture.

12 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by thebigkendo(m): 9:38pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:
This is the story of how I spent 5 days on the road between Benin and Abuja because of one car.
First let me say I have never been a fan of the Honda Accord and I have my reasons. I only agreed to travel with this one as it was the only option. I attended a wedding in Benin last week with the car. Left Abuja early Thursday. Before then the car was having minor overheating issues. The temperature rose only once on the way and after letting it cool for about 30mins we continued and made Benin in record time I must say. EOD V6 can run sha.
Got to Benin and did all the running around within Benin Friday and Saturday without any issues. Just once the brake was making sound as I was entering the hotel. I'll not comment on my personal thoughts about Benin.

First of all Why human being go travel with car weh get overheating issue??

Very soon Honda vs Toyota and Japanese vs German war go start

Demeanors report for duty
Banky3w, chukel, Diportivo, erico2k2 GAZZUZZ Kingreign LeJeun3 Mayor2013 nurey obekediamondfuto Princetom1 timifakay Ipfreely cosplay

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by erico2k2(m): 9:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:

For the record the moment the joint pulled was the very first time I heard any noise from that area. If this has happened to you you'll agree that it very rarely gives any warning. The car's only issue prior to the journey was minor overheating as I said
I dont agree with you, the vast majority of Nigerians are carefree, thier maintaiance culture ends with Oil change,Spark plug change and Oil filter,if you have checked your suspensions on your last service you would have known its due for change.if you car is over 10 years and its still with its original drive shaft and lower plus upper control arms, change tham all.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by erico2k2(m): 9:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:

There's actually a hole in the bolt where you insert a metal wire after fixing the nut. I think the problem was that the nut he bought was not threaded properly that was why it pulled
There is no seperate nut for that ball joint, it comes with its own nut called a castle Nut.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Cosplay: 9:55pm On Mar 16, 2018
thebigkendo:

First of all Why human being go travel with car weh get overheating issue??

Very soon Honda vs Toyota and Japanese vs German war go start

Demeanors report for duty
Banky3w, chukel, Diportivo, erico2k2 GAZZUZZ Kingreign LeJeun3 Mayor2013 nurey obekediamondfuto Princetom1 timifakay Ipfreely cosplay

Here Sir. Ready to augment this conflagration cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 10:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
Cosplay:

Here Sir. Ready to augment this conflagration cheesy

Here they come, thank goodness it is a Friday night. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Cosplay: 10:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:
This is the story of how I spent 5 days on the road between Benin and Abuja because of one car.
First let me say I have never been a fan of the Honda Accord and I have my reasons. I only agreed to travel with this one as it was the only option. I attended a wedding in Benin last week with the car. Left Abuja early Thursday. Before then the car was having minor overheating issues. The temperature rose only once on the way and after letting it cool for about 30mins we continued and made Benin in record time I must say. EOD V6 can run sha.

Bros.. I understand managing car Ac not functioning... but pulled joints? Overheating? Wetin you dey manage there?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Cosplay: 10:07pm On Mar 16, 2018
If you’ve come here looking for sympathy... you will find very little.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 10:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Cosplay:
If you’ve come here looking for sympathy... you will find very little.

Lol from who? To what end? Not in the least bro
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by dcole73: 10:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
@OP,

Na the Honda Accord I pity , not you.

Kai, I feel for that car. cry cry
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 10:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
Those asking why I would travel with a car with issues maybe you failed to see where I said it was the last option. Secondly the same car had done two long trips just a week prior to this without issues. A day to the trip I was at the mechanic to service and check for anything out of place. The overheating, which didn't even occur atall before the trip, was the main thing I asked them to check. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car's cooling system. I even almost wanted to change the fan to a 6 wire but they said no that the fan was functioning well. That was how careful I was to prevent any likely occurrence on the road. If you've use cars on Nigerian roads long distance you'll agree that it's not always about how many checks you did before the journey. Those are important though. But you'll find out even a brand new car with all the checks can develop faults on the road and sometimes without warning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:00pm On Mar 16, 2018
I opened this thread to chronicle things I went through and maybe someone else can learn a thing or two from my ordeal should they find themselves in similar situations.

6 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:10pm On Mar 16, 2018
Found a tow van. Oga said 12k just to tow the car off the road. I thanked him and left. Then found a hotel nearby and checked my family in. Went back and got men around who helped us push the car away from the roadside to a more convenient spot. Quick note- There's this myth that once an auto tranny breaks down it cannot be pushed off the road. Well that's just what it is- myth. Got the head of security in the area who agreed to watch the car overnight for something in return. Made final arrangements for the mechanic who would start work on the engine early next morning. Took the battery out and gave to a battery charger in the area. Retired to the hotel.
Next morning after we had pushed the car to the mechanic's place he started opening the top to get to the gasket, only for us to discover it was actually the timing belt that had cut, plus a leaking water pump which explains the water in the radiator leaking out. I was happy it won't need the top.to be opened anymore. Went to Uromi from Ewu and bought the pump and belt. 10k. Came back. Phillip toiled away and by 6.30pm thereabout he had finally coupled everything. We started the ignition and it came to life, but the engine wasn't firing well nor producing enough power.

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by mejai(m): 11:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
OP kwantinue d tori.... day 3?

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by LeJeun3: 11:14pm On Mar 16, 2018

I don show, the mention things isn't working well o.....

OP, continue your story of how you suffered the poor Honda.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 11:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:
Found a tow van. Oga said 12k just to tow the car off the road. I thanked him and left. Then found a hotel nearby and checked my family in. Went back and got men around who helped us push the car away from the roadside to a more convenient spot. Got the head of security in the area who agreed to watch the car overnight for something in return. Made final arrangements for the mechanic who would start work on the engine early next morning. Took the battery out and gave to a battery charger in the area. Retired to the hotel.

All this while no commercial vehicle heading to Abuja could be found to ferry your loved ones to Abuja while you attend to a car that ghas an engine issue?

You post, we read.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 11:17pm On Mar 16, 2018
LeJeun3:

I don show, the mention things isn't working well o.....

OP, continue your story of how you suffered the poor Honda.

Show the poor guy some luv, at least with your first comment.

Na advice i give oo.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:22pm On Mar 16, 2018
luvinhubby:

All this while no commercial vehicle heading to Abuja could be found to ferry your loved ones to Abuja while you attend to a car that ghas an engine issue?

You post, we read.

Thank you for following @luvinhubby. But from your posts do you really read the story or just here to look for loopholes? Did you see where I said that by now it was getting to 3pm. And we're in Ewu Edo state, not even gotten to Auchi. To get transport to Auchi from there is almost like a 30mins wait. Then by the time you get to Auchi by 4-5pm what car will be going to Abuja by that time of day?

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by LeJeun3: 11:23pm On Mar 16, 2018
luvinhubby:

Show the poor guy some luv, at least with your first comment.

Na advice i give oo.

let me sit back and read then! Thank you Sir

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beware Of Car Dealers / Which Local Govt Is Tripple "A" Pls? / Front-end Rattling Noise Emanating From The Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.