Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) (3686 Views)

Ending Life Ahead Of Time: Five Planes That Barely Saw The Skies / Peace Mass Transit Limited: What It Takes To Get To The Top - Samuel Onyishi / World's Largest And Most Spectacular Royal Palaces (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
Incredible footage has revealed the moment that the world's biggest jet engine took to the skies for the first time, ahead of its planned maiden commercial flight in 2020.

The huge GE9X powerplant, which is as wide and tall as the fuselage of a Boeing 737, is being built for the latest version of the firm's long-haul 777, the 777X 'megaplane'.

General Electric has now begun flight trials of the prototype, after delays caused by technical problems stopped tests originally planned for late last year.

The GE9X was attached to the plane alongside smaller engines to allow engineers to put it through the motions of flight without risking the safety of passengers onboard.

It features a massive fan stretching 134 inches in diameter, more than 11 feet, and fits into a 14-and-a-half-foot nacelle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5509063/Watch-worlds-biggest-jet-engine-skies.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by horlahsunbo225(m): 11:26pm On Mar 17, 2018
Ftc
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Holywizard: 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2018
Do u know that I've not seen a parked plane before?

6 Likes

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Cutehector(m): 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2018
Oh mehn this is massive.. Na tripledecker plane be this ...
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by bodejohn(m): 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2018
horlahsunbo225:
Ftc

E never reach front page...learner grin
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Cutehector(m): 11:30pm On Mar 17, 2018
Oh mehn this is massive..
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:30pm On Mar 17, 2018
Dubbed the largest jet engine in the world, GE9X's front fans span 11 feet in diameter, its inlet duct measures 18 feet by 12 feet and can generate 100,000 pounds of thrust.

This massive engine is the first working prototype that was developed to power Boeing's 777X aircraft and is was first tested at the firm's boot camp for engines near Peebles, Ohio.

Testing of the engine was seen as a critical step.

It will have the largest front fan in the world, GE says, at 134 inches (11 feet) in diameter, while its inlet duct measures 18 feet (215 inches) by 12 feet (145 inches).

1 Like

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Explorers(m): 11:32pm On Mar 17, 2018
Rolls Royce has already tested its enormous Trent XWB-97 engine (pictured) in flight.

With a fan diametre of almost ten feet it can produce 97,000lb of thrust during take-off

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by emeijeh(m): 11:40pm On Mar 17, 2018
Nice fuselage
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by newyorks(m): 11:43pm On Mar 17, 2018
O boy see huge plane
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by horlahsunbo225(m): 11:43pm On Mar 17, 2018
bodejohn:

E never reach front page...learner grin
So now what are we gonna call it
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by obi4eze(m): 11:45pm On Mar 17, 2018
The odd for this thread to reach front-page is 1.00
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Cmyname(m): 12:16am On Mar 18, 2018
horlahsunbo225:
Ftc
It's 11:26 PM already, and you are still awake "ftcing."
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by horlahsunbo225(m): 12:25am On Mar 18, 2018
Cmyname:

It's 11:26 PM already, and you are still awake "ftcing."
What are you doing also?
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Cmyname(m): 12:30am On Mar 18, 2018
horlahsunbo225:
What are you doing also?
grin I mean "ftcing" at this hour is not allowed.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by bodejohn(m): 12:34am On Mar 18, 2018
horlahsunbo225:

So now what are we gonna call it

RTC

Rush To Comment...
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by henrygale(m): 5:47am On Mar 18, 2018
People and countries that knows what they r doing.
Naija, wetin we see do if not to chop money and carry keep for our generations unborn.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Nobody: 6:07am On Mar 18, 2018
Holywizard:
Do u know that I've not seen a parked plane before?
you're not alone. I hv only seen it in the sky
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 6:16am On Mar 18, 2018
henrygale:
People and countries that knows what they r doing.
Naija, wetin we see do if not to chop money and carry keep for our generations unborn.

Change should start with our leaders.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Holywizard: 6:17am On Mar 18, 2018
I'm praying that God should remember and bless my hustle.
I promised myself that once I make it I'll take a holiday trip for 2 weeks outside Nigeria
crotonite:
you're not alone. I hv only seen it in the sky
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 18, 2018
Holywizard:
I'm praying that God should remember and bless my hustle.
I promised myself that once I make it I'll take a holiday trip for 2 weeks outside Nigeria
may God grant u your heart desire.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Holywizard: 7:45am On Mar 18, 2018
Amen!
crotonite:
may God grant u your heart desire.

1 Like

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by daveP(m): 11:55am On Mar 18, 2018
In countries that do such stuff Daly, their leaders may not be saints, but they pump cash into the right areas of society. It's part of why gangsters like Pablo Escobar had loyal followers that couldn't snitch on him one bit.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by DemonHunTER: 11:33am On Mar 19, 2018
And this is not in FP yet? I hate Nairaland for real.
Mod, you can ban me.. but that's just it.
NL is now value less, just today I saw 7 BBN news on FP.. Issa shame!

3 Likes

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Xionez(m): 7:56am On Mar 24, 2018
Germany, South Korea, Russia and United States...
Who takes the lead in Engineering?!

Besides that, i refuse to become a liability to myself. Hustle hard but know more.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2018
Pilot
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by siegfried99(m): 4:20pm On Mar 24, 2018
This is very cool cool
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2018
I'm more interested in performance. van the engine fly for more than 22hrs. and does it consume lesser fuel than previous versions or the only selling point is the bigness

1 Like

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by cuks(m): 12:54am On Oct 13, 2018
Sorry if this is off topic,
Check out my 222mm homebuilt jet engine.
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffffbE-iSU8&app=desktop

1 Like

Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Anonimoux: 4:01am On Oct 16, 2018
How do homo sapiens build stuff like these
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by TrajansKong: 8:37am On Oct 16, 2018
Anonimoux:
How do homo sapiens build stuff like these

With prayer. With fire. With stone. Heavy, hot stone.
Re: 11ft In Diameter, World's Largest Jet Engine Takes To The Skies(Photos) by Anonimoux: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2018
TrajansKong:

With prayer. With fire. With stone. Heavy, hot stone.
Its so amazing

(1) (2) (Reply)

China Airlines Captain Captured Sleeping In The Cockpit While Flying Boeing 747 / I've 8m, I'm Looking For A Country I Can Travel To For Msc Program Apart From UK / Dv 2009 Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.