Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m (26187 Views)

Enugu's Chioma Ebue Wins Second Best Teacher For JSS In Nigeria / Henry Olaoluwa Asubiojo Emerges Best Teacher In Nigeria, Commended By Fayemi / University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by NewshelmNg: 10:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
Andria Zafirakou, who teaches at Alperton Community School, has won the prestigious Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.

The award, which recognises a teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession, has a prize of $1 million . And the 39-year has guided youngsters from one of the poorest areas of the country and helped pupils from a variety of backgrounds.

Andria Zafirakou, who teaches at Alperton Community School, has won the prestigious Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.

The award, which recognises a teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession, has a prize of $1 million . And the 39-year has guided youngsters from one of the poorest areas of the country and helped pupils from a variety of backgrounds.

This included learning basic greetings in many of the 35 languages spoken at the school, including Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil and Portuguese, to help parents feel welcome and included.

Ms Zafirakou, the first British teacher to be awarded the prize, paid tribute to the power of the arts after being named the winner.

She said: ‘I was shocked. I was completely overwhelmed. I didn’t realise it was me.’

Asked what she will do with the prize money, she said:

‘I’m going to be patient, I’m going to reflect, but as you know I think it would be really fantastic if I could think about how the arts could be celebrated even further within our school community.’

AP

http://newshelm.ng/photos-worlds-best-teacherandria-zafirakou-wins-1m/

cc lalasticlala mynd44

10 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Cekpo34(m): 10:06pm On Mar 19, 2018
shocked "world's best teacher"? World? I'm sure my grandma was a better teacher sef grin

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by DBright123(m): 11:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
how do they arrive at her been the best? What criteria and parameter were used?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by DeKen: 12:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Good motivation. I bet a teacher from Kaduna will grasp this price next year. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by swagguElite(m): 4:39am On Mar 20, 2018
Wow! ....$1million ...she deserves it _c'mon winning such an amount @39years is well deserved! Imagine all the work, love n effort engaged in her daily interactions with those kids

Sometimes a good heart with time woud get crushed if not rewarded accordingly! ... Our education bank should also get deposits of awards like this to encourage those out there who are striving to do their Job well without letting the half-payment of salary deter them!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by lenghtinny(m): 5:14am On Mar 20, 2018
These are the kind of rewards I love to see....

Not the one that you get 45m for doing nonsense and ingredients angry

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 20, 2018
cry
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by python1: 7:12am On Mar 20, 2018
That is some whooping 360m.

But how did they arrive at the conclusion that he is the world's best teacher? Did they take samples from Nigeria?

I know mental slaves will scream at the top of their voices asking why I mentioned Nigerian teachers, there are Nigerians teaching in most advanced obodo oyibo and are doing better than their oyibo counterparts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by obojememe: 7:12am On Mar 20, 2018
God bless my mom

12 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by bewla(m): 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
r
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by chus22: 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Is naija there ¿
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by wwwtortoise(m): 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
grin

The only world best I know is Cristiano Ronaldo.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by OwnNAIJA: 7:14am On Mar 20, 2018
Mothers are the best teachers?
Yay or Nay?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by sammy4life1(m): 7:15am On Mar 20, 2018
If na Naija now u for deh hear things like No be woman undecided she used what she had to get it..... She had slept with the judges etc. But ThankGod its not naija. Congratulations madam shocked

4 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by FanYogo1(f): 7:16am On Mar 20, 2018
sammy4life1:
If na Naija now u for deh hear things like No be woman undecided she used what she has to get it..... She has slept with the judges etc. But ThankGod its not naija. Congratulations madam shocked

Nigerians hate to see themselves succeed. They prefer the "poor and humble" rather than "comfortable to wealthy".

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by inoki247: 7:16am On Mar 20, 2018
Wey teacher plenty for kaduna ask El rural...
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by kingsol1759(m): 7:18am On Mar 20, 2018
it is obvious you will not find our youths here to make sensible comments. if it was about ffk,reno,bbn,buhari you will be seeing comments here and there . the thing is we need to wake up as youths lets use the power of social media to our advantage not just grab your keypads and type rubbish .

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Pavore9: 7:20am On Mar 20, 2018
sammy4life1:
If na Naija now u for deh hear things like No be woman undecided she used what she has to get it..... She has slept with the judges etc. But ThankGod its not naija. Congratulations madam shocked

Sadly in Nigeria, many are yet to be comfortable with the idea that a female can achieve without having to sleep around.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Sirmuel1(m): 7:20am On Mar 20, 2018
lenghtinny:

grin grin cheesy
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by RexTramadol1: 7:21am On Mar 20, 2018
Only $1m

Make I waka pass.
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Uyi168: 7:22am On Mar 20, 2018
sammy4life1:
Must u always paint ur country in bad light?
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by sammy4life1(m): 7:23am On Mar 20, 2018
RexTramadol1:
Only $1m

Make I waka pass.

Abeg convert am to ur Nigeria money and see how much
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by talk2percy(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
World best teacher kwa? How dey take vote am and when? My primary school teacher nko wey all of us give best teacher that year?
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by sammy4life1(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
lenghtinny:

Please can you remind me..... Just hope its not our BBNaija u are referring to grin grin grin grin grin
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Muzikluva(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2018
Congratulations to her but calling her "world's best teacher" is just absurd. On what basis was she chosen as the world best? What parameters were used? What kind of survey was carried out? There are more and even better devoted teachers all over the world so calling someone world's best out of the blues is just a fallacy.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by sammy4life1(m): 7:26am On Mar 20, 2018
Uyi168:
Must u always paint ur country in bad light?
Not always .... Nigeria has its good side but truth be said u might just be the one to have said she used woman power if it happened in Nigeria undecided
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by adzer: 7:28am On Mar 20, 2018
What about those teaching the almajeris in Kano, Katsina etc? White is meant for the white. Congrats madam!
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 20, 2018
DeKen:
Good motivation. I bet a teacher from Kaduna will grap this price next year. grin

e be like say na Kaduna teacher teach you English language as you no fit GRAP ordinary spelling

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by CodecJay(m): 7:30am On Mar 20, 2018
How did they know she is the world's best teacher?

Read:
The Photo Of This Dog With The Face of a Human Being Will Freak You Out

http://borednigerian.com/photo-dog-human-like-face-will-freak/
Re: PHOTOS: World’s Best Teacher,andria Zafirakou, Wins $1m by Ramon92: 7:35am On Mar 20, 2018
O ga O.. So as Chemist my chemistry teacher try reach all those years, even going beyond his duties as a teacher, Dem still no recognise am..

SHS Akure..

(1) (2) (Reply)

ICPC Arraigns VC Of Richmond Open University With Secondary School Certificate / Abasiodiong Jackson Graduates With 1st Class From University Of Huddersfield UK / University Of Ibadan Bans The Use Of "Hotplates" As Strike Looms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.