Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? (8103 Views)

Your Mechanic Is Cooking A Lie To Tell You / 5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by thebigkendo(m): 11:50pm On Mar 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I see two issues.

1) Shrinking middle income: Folks do not want to pay a commensurate fee for services. Do they think Buhari is going to come and deliver money into their accounts? It's these commerce in between people that stimulate the economy.

2) Labor pool: because there is no standard, anyone can hang up a site under an iroko tree and call himself an engineer. So, of course, they can afford to charge N20 for an oil change since there's zero overhead.

It will take an act of God for Nigeria to reset.

Back in my youth, taxi driving was actually a noble profession as is most non "alakowe" work, but now every riff-raff that can't get a job is an engineer.

Then we wonder how seriously good cars and brands get to Nigeria and they become a bucket of bolts. I bought a 4Runner a while back now and one day I was looking around the engine bay and I noticed that the previous owner has removed the brake booster with all the accompanying ABS pump. Who does that? I'll tell you, it's a Kazeem and not Elizade.

In Kazeems voice 'Oga e no get use", during my last oil change, my Kazeem wanted to fill up(with water) the coolant expansion tank to max mark, I tried to educate him that the ideal level when engine is cool was between the min and max, Kazeem no gree oh. Warning me about overheating and pointing to my thermostat grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by InvertedHammer: 12:14am On Mar 24, 2018
When a Nigerian mechanic goes under your car, expect him to come out with a part and educate you on how stupid oyibo people are to have put it in the first place. Going under your car with a plier is a no no.

It is always better to warn him first with "oga no bring anything come out from there o!"

/

8 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by LeJeun3: 5:40am On Mar 24, 2018
temmym4:

Jesus! Did you import him from another country shocked

i guess the OP asked for how much your mechanic charges you, not what the replacement parts caused

@OP
Oil and filter change - 500 naira most times, 1000 when am in good mood.

sad shocked shocked

I don't want to say my mind....

temmym4:

Bros. Relax first.
You paid 10,500 for to change an engine oil that costs 16500 seperately.

Your mechanic charges you 2,500 each wheels he replaces its Brakepads. So u use about 10,000 to replace brakepads that costs 35000

In other words, you actually used 72,000 naira to change oil and brake pads.

Waoh. I envy you bro.

God bless Your mechanic. He will soon buy a new car or finish his building project grin

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by makavele: 7:08am On Mar 24, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I see two issues.

1) Shrinking middle income: Folks do not want to pay a commensurate fee for services. Do they think Buhari is going to come and deliver money into their accounts? It's these commerce in between people that stimulate the economy.

2) Labor pool: because there is no standard, anyone can hang up a site under an iroko tree and call himself an engineer. So, of course, they can afford to charge N20 for an oil change since there's zero overhead.

It will take an act of God for Nigeria to reset.

Back in my youth, taxi driving was actually a noble profession as is most non "alakowe" work, but now every riff-raff that can't get a job is an engineer.

Then we wonder how seriously good cars and brands get to Nigeria and they become a bucket of bolts. I bought a 4Runner a while back now and one day I was looking around the engine bay and I noticed that the previous owner has removed the brake booster with all the accompanying ABS pump. Who does that? I'll tell you, it's a Kazeem and not Elizade.

Spot on . . .
Nigerian maintenance culture = zero
You expect a mechanic to change your 2 pairs of brake pads for N500 and expect not to die the following week via "brake failure accident" . .
Some would even leave the brake fluid hose hanging instead of supporting it while removing the caliper . .
which in turn might stretch (or tear it) unknowingly . . next thing = obituary poster

3 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by temmym4(m): 12:54pm On Mar 26, 2018
makavele:

Spot on . . .
Nigerian maintenance culture = zero
You expect a mechanic to change your 2 pairs of brake pads for N500 and expect not to die the following week via "brake failure accident" . .
Some would even leave the brake fluid hose hanging instead of supporting it while removing the caliper . .
which in turn might stretch (or tear it) unknowingly . . next thing = obituary poster

Say all u want bro. But that doesn't change the fact that your using almost 25k service charge (apart from the parts and oil purchased) just to change oil and brake pads is outrageous and wasteful. You think everyone are polithiefcians, looting all the resources and can decide to spend whatever they like? Hell No! Some of us work very hard to own stuffs.

An average Nigerian will own a used Camry (Not brand new) bought around a million, you expect them to spend half of that amount on the same car within a year just for a service charge to change pads and engine oil?
Who does that?

Am sure you pay 2000 naira each just to gauge each tires with an educated Vulcanizer.

Who says Educated Auto engineers don't make mistakes, are they God?

Maybe the so called Educated Auto technician should pull themselves together and review their charges so people can patronise them instead of hiding under being a professional and billing exorbitantly. This is Naija, not the US.

Truthfully, not all professional Mechanical engineers does that anyway. We v got some very reasonable ones.

makavele:

Does changing only your breakpads with over 20k + service charges guarantee your own life on wheels?!

so it is the service charge of 500 naira paid to the mechanic who changed the pads that will cause the "Brake failure accident".

If you use 75k to do change oil and breakpads, i wonder how much you ll spend in putting a fault to order.
Automatically if u are a regular traveller and u do a monthly routine service. U would have spent 750,000 apart from fixing other issues within a period of 10months
If u dont have nothing else to do with money, bros donate to the needy around you. It will do u some good later in future.

Funny thing is, u will be surprised to find out most Criticisers here are the ones who visit Kazeems mostly. Some don't even know the road to a mechanical engineer's office or workshop.
Lies everywhere. That is what is killing Nigeria!

Not all Kazeems are incompetent. some just dont have the opportunity to attend tertiary institutions.

I visit Kazeem when i need to fix minor issues especially issues i can relate with, i even make sure i look up the issue online then wait and hears what he has to say.
sometimes he is busy and i wait patiently monitoring him doing mine or other cars, he might scan for codes, the name might feel strange to him since he he didn't go to school to study mechanical engineering, he searches via google image, gets the picture and works it out.

when it comes to major issue that i know will eventually turn a Kazeem into a guesser, i seek the help of the internet firstly then visit an experience engineer. Since i dont usually have major issues. I think proper supervision with my mechanic does it for me.

10 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by makavele: 3:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
temmym4:

Say all u want bro. But that doesn't change the fact that your using almost 25k service charge (apart from the parts and oil purchased) just to change oil and brake pads is outrageous and wasteful. You think everyone are polithiefcians, looting all the resources and can decide to spend whatever they like? Hell No! Some of us work very hard to own stuffs.

An average Nigerian will own a used Camry (Not brand new) bought around a million, you expect them to spend half of that amount on the same car within a year just for a service charge to change pads and engine oil?
Who does that?

Am sure you pay 2000 naira each just to gauge each tires with an educated Vulcanizer.

Who says Educated Auto engineers don't make mistakes, are they God?

Maybe the so called Educated Auto technician should pull themselves together and review their charges so people can patronise them instead of hiding under being a professional and billing exorbitantly. This is Naija, not the US.

Truthfully, not all professional Mechanical engineers does that anyway. We v got some very reasonable ones.

Does changing only your breakpads with over 20k + service charges guarantee your own life on wheels?!

so it is the service charge of 500 naira paid to the mechanic who changed the pads that will cause the "Brake failure accident".

If you use 75k to do change oil and breakpads, i wonder how much you ll spend in putting a fault to order.
Automatically if u are a regular traveller and u do a monthly routine service. U would have spent 750,000 apart from fixing other issues within a period of 10months
If u dont have nothing else to do with money, bros donate to the needy around you. It will do u some good later in future.

Funny thing is, u will be surprised to find out most Criticisers here are the ones who visit Kazeems mostly. Some don't even know the road to a mechanical engineer's office or workshop.
Lies everywhere. That is what is killing Nigeria!

Not all Kazeems are incompetent. some just dont have the opportunity to attend tertiary institutions.

I visit Kazeem when i need to fix minor issues especially issues i can relate with, i even make sure i look up the issue online then wait and hears what he has to say.
sometimes he is busy and i wait patiently monitoring him doing mine or other cars, he might scan for codes, the name might feel strange to him since he he didn't go to school to study mechanical engineering, he searches via google image, gets the picture and works it out.

when it comes to major issue that i know will eventually turn a Kazeem into a guesser, i seek the help of the internet firstly then visit an experience engineer. Since i dont usually have major issues. I think proper supervision with my mechanic does it for me.

I have come to understand, with Nigerians, when they cannot achieve something, they try to bring you down.
I am not responsible for your financial misfortune . . if I decide to pay a mechanic 4,000 GBP to change my pads; how is it your headache, fam? I was asked a question and I answered, kapish !!!
Gazzuzz charges about 10,000 for A/C diagnosis; a regular mechanic will charge maybe 2,000 while another would jump straight at changing parts without diagnosis . . . there is a reason he charges 10,000 . . and there is a reason why we pay . . .not because we have money to waste ( poor man's thinking ). The difference is in the taste; the taste . . . you know the rest

5 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 27, 2018
makavele:

I have come to understand, with Nigerians, when they cannot achieve something, they try to bring you down.
I am not responsible for your financial misfortune . . if I decide to pay a mechanic 4,000 GBP to change my pads; how is it your headache, fam? I was asked a question and I answered, kapish !!!
Gazzuzz charges about 10,000 for A/C diagnosis; a regular mechanic will charge maybe 2,000 while another would jump straight at changing parts without diagnosis . . . there is a reason he charges 10,000 . . and there is a reason why we pay . . .not because we have money to waste ( poor man's thinking ). The difference is in the taste; the taste . . . you know the rest

I am in total agreement with you.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by fishing: 9:37am On Mar 27, 2018
makavele:

Please ignore this people.

Some Nigerians detest paying for quality service.

They don't even understand what the previous users of these vehicles spend on maintenance abroad.

If they were doing oil change for GBP1.00 or USD2.00 am sure there will be nothing like Tokunbo vehicles.

They prefer the one Kazeem will place mortar under car sump to change oil.�
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by makavele: 9:43am On Mar 27, 2018
Mortar; lol grin grin grin or the kazeem that would

put 9 inches block under the vehicle in lieu of a proper jack (stand)
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by temmym4(m): 10:22am On Mar 27, 2018
makavele:

You are very rude and insulting. That shouldnt have been. But i pardon you though, i know your type

From your posts, one can easily tell, you have got a very high degree of PRIDE! infact you stink of it. At the end, when they check people like you out, you don't weigh a thing.
Those who actually own the wealth don't make disturbing noises.

You dont even know me, we have never met. how are u so sure i v got a financial misfortune and that you are any way a step higher than me.

At this stage of my life if i start going into that kind of rants with someone we never met in physical, then i am a f.o.o.l

Why do you keep tagging GAZZUZZ unto your posts anytime i quote you. lol.
Why not leave him out of your rants.
Must you put how much he charges for AC here.?

As a matter of fact 2 of my recent tires were bought from him and it was purchased at a very reasonable price.

Just as i posted earlier, not every Auto Engineer is unreasonable. I have worked with a notable brother here, Though he quitted Nairaland now ( His posts still exists here though). Old nairalanders active in Cartalk session will know him. He was very good and his charges were reasonable even when i was expecting him to cost a fortune when i met him, no major fix ever since he fixed the car to the point of bringing it down to the country and till i sold the car.

AC is entirely up to u. I "replaced" my wife's car AC for more than 40k (compressor,dryer, tinner, gas flush) and that includes workmanship of 9k. They didnt press button and billed that, they "changed parts" .

Now tell me, how does "changing oil as maintenance routine" relates to "FIXING AC"

Actually i dont have a problem with you servicing your car with your arms, lungs and whatever you so wishes. It's not my headache, it's yours.. But the issue i have with people like you is trying to impose your beliefs on others and condemning them.

I actually feel it s actually unwise thinking, because a mechanic charged 500 or 1k for changing Brake pads, it s a death sentence, while the one that charged you 10k guarantees life.

Brother, Learn how to be humble, embrace humility cos pride kills, even faster than AIDS sometimes.

Keep your beliefs to yourself, when you feel you need to educate others, make it minimal, without insults too.

Lastly, don't assume what you dont know about others just because they gave their own opinions. Humility doesn't signify Poor and Pride doesnt mean you are Rich.
Be mature. God bless u.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by makavele: 6:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
temmym4:

You are very rude and insulting. That shouldnt have been. But i pardon you though, i know your type

From your posts, one can easily tell, you have got a very high degree of PRIDE! infact you stink of it. At the end, when they check people like you out, you don't weigh a thing.
Those who actually own the wealth don't make disturbing noises.

You dont even know me, we have never met. how are u so sure i v got a financial misfortune and that you are any way a step higher than me.

At this stage of my life if i start going into that kind of rants with someone we never met in physical, then i am a f.o.o.l

Why do you keep tagging GAZZUZZ unto your posts anytime i quote you. lol.
Why not leave him out of your rants.
Must you put how much he charges for AC here.?

As a matter of fact 2 of my recent tires were bought from him and it was purchased at a very reasonable price.

Just as i posted earlier, not every Auto Engineer is unreasonable. I have worked with a notable brother here, Though he quitted Nairaland now ( His posts still exists here though). Old nairalanders active in Cartalk session will know him. He was very good and his charges were reasonable even when i was expecting him to cost a fortune when i met him, no major fix ever since he fixed the car to the point of bringing it down to the country and till i sold the car.

AC is entirely up to u. I "replaced" my wife's car AC for more than 40k (compressor,dryer, tinner, gas flush) and that includes workmanship of 9k. They didnt press button and billed that, they "changed parts" .

Now tell me, how does "changing oil as maintenance routine" relates to "FIXING AC"

Actually i dont have a problem with you servicing your car with your arms, lungs and whatever you so wishes. It's not my headache, it's yours.. But the issue i have with people like you is trying to impose your beliefs on others and condemning them.

I actually feel it s actually unwise thinking, because a mechanic charged 500 or 1k for changing Brake pads, it s a death sentence, while the one that charged you 10k guarantees life.

Brother, Learn how to be humble, embrace humility cos pride kills, even faster than AIDS sometimes.

Keep your beliefs to yourself, when you feel you need to educate others, make it minimal, without insults too.

Lastly, don't assume what you dont know about others just because they gave their own opinions. Humility doesn't signify Poor and Pride doesnt mean you are Rich.
Be mature. God bless u.

You are spilling trash . . . Have you ever lived outside the country and fixed a vehicle . . If yes; you would understood why a mechanic would charge you $100 per hour for a fix . . Thats about NGN 37000 round figure per hour . . . God help you and he uses 3-4 hours for the fix . . that amounts to 37000 x 4 (round figure) . . figure that out . . .
You are just ranting up and down with no significant purpose or sense . . It would have made sense if you asked me the brand of vehicle i was changing pad for 2k5 per wheel . . . You don't expect to change the pads of McLaren 650s at 500 naira total sum . . .
Now I did not say it was a McLaren that was maintained at that amount; i just gave you a clue . . .
Gazzuzz is a worthy mechanic and that's why I keep mentioning him . . . He has tried a lot for CARTALK just like Sienna and Ikenna did back then . . . And yes, I mentioned he charges about 10,000 for diagnosis . . cos he himself has said it severally on the forum.
So I am not divulging any private information there . . . And I said "about 10,000" . . which means it could be north or south of 10,000 depending on the "depth" of diagnosis. He saw the post and didn't bulge . . so how is it your problem; sir ?
people like EgunMogaji have seen my post and put it to good use . . . Why so much negative energy bro?
Finally, I do not need to know or meet you in person . . . neither is life a competition. . . But when I see people drinking "panadol" for another man's headache . . .it reeks of "gross financial misfortune".
Peace !!!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
makavele:

You are spilling trash . . . Have you ever lived outside the country and fixed a vehicle . . If yes; you would understood why a mechanic would charge you $100 per hour for a fix . . Thats about NGN 37000 round figure per hour . . . God help you and he uses 3-4 hours for the fix . . that amounts to 37000 x 4 (round figure) . . figure that out . . .
You are just ranting up and down with no significant purpose or sense . . It would have made sense if you asked me the brand of vehicle i was changing pad for 2k5 per wheel . . . You don't expect to change the pads of McLaren 650s at 500 naira total sum . . .
Now I did not say it was a McLaren that was maintained at that amount; i just gave you a clue . . .
Gazzuzz is a worthy mechanic and that's why I keep mentioning him . . . He has tried a lot for CARTALK just like Sienna and Ikenna did back then . . . And yes, I mentioned he charges about 10,000 for diagnosis . . cos he himself has said it severally on the forum.
So I am not divulging any private information there . . . And I said "about 10,000" . . which means it could be north or south of 10,000 depending on the "depth" of diagnosis. He saw the post and didn't bulge . . so how is it your problem; sir ?
people like EgunMogaji have seen my post and put it to good use . . . Why so much negative energy bro?
Finally, I do not need to know or meet you in person . . . neither is life a competition. . . But when I see people drinking "panadol" for another man's headache . . .it reeks of "gross financial misfortune".
Peace !!!

Just to confirm, your posts have indeed been valuable to me.

It’s refreshing to see that there are still motorists out there that not only take pride in maintain their vehicle but also willing to pay a commensurate bill.

The Baba Latis may never reach financial freedom if they keep getting hosed by greedy clients.

I had my car worked on by someone in Ibadan. I forgot how much I paid but was at least double what he asked for because as an Autoist I knew what he had to do. Do you know that this man was working while wearing a colostomy bag? I donated in addition to his medical bill that day too. I also bring him tools whenever I come home. I brought him a torque wrench last time. The last time he used a torque wrench was back when he worked for RT Briscoe. Imagine that.

In any thing we do in life we have to fear God.

Please don’t stop doing what you are doing. Buhari won’t solve all the issues in Nigeria, it is us, the average citizens that will.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by makavele: 7:10pm On Mar 27, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Just to confirm, your posts have indeed been valuable to me.

It’s refreshing to see that there are still motorists out there that not only take pride in maintain their vehicle but also willing to pay a commensurate bill.

The Baba Latis may never reach financial freedom if they keep getting hosed by greedy clients.

I had my car worked on by someone in Ibadan. I forgot how much I paid but was at least double what he asked for because as an Autoist I knew what he had to do. Do you know that this man was working while wearing a colostomy bag? I donated in addition to his medical bill that day too. I also bring him tools whenever I come home. I brought him a torque wrench last time. The last time he used a torque wrench was back when he worked for RT Briscoe. Imagine that.

In any thing we do in life we have to fear God.

Please don’t stop doing what you are doing. Buhari won’t solve all the issues in Nigeria, it is us, the average citizens that will.

Thank you sir . . If there's anything I regret being a Nigerian for: then it would be the "PULL-HIM-DOWN" syndrome of your next-door neighbor . . . I believe in quality work; and I am a strict perfectionist . . . the only time I can manage "a fix" is when I am on a lean budget or I have an alternative vehicle to use. It annoys me when Baba Lati lol and his crew would fix a car' and you need to visit the car-wash
to remove the battalion of grease and engine oil on your car-seats . . . when all they had to do was change a "faulty brake lamp"
What do you expect . . I paid him just 500 or 1000. You won't expect me to pay you #10,000 and you still stain the whole vehicle with engine oil . . No way! As a matter of fact, I know one or 2 people here would would even give your car a free car wash after a fix . .
RT Briscoe . . lol . . . My Dad use to work there; we have this huge RT Briscoe sticker to remind us everyday lol grin grin grin of when the Old man was still balling . . .

1 Like

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
makavele:

Thank you sir . . If there's anything I regret being a Nigerian for: then it would be the "PULL-HIM-DOWN" syndrome of your next-door neighbor . . . I believe in quality work; and I am a strict perfectionist . . . the only time I can manage "a fix" is when I am on a lean budget or I have an alternative vehicle to use. It annoys me when Baba Lati lol and his crew would fix a car' and you need to visit the car-wash
to remove the battalion of grease and engine oil on your car-seats . . . when all they had to do was change a "faulty brake lamp"
What do you expect . . I paid him just 500 or 1000. You won't expect me to pay you #10,000 and you still stain the whole vehicle with engine oil . . No way! As a matter of fact, I know one or 2 people here would would even give your car a free car wash after a fix . .
RT Briscoe . . lol . . . My Dad use to work there; we have this huge RT Briscoe sticker to remind us everyday lol grin grin grin of when the Old man was still balling . . .

My formative years were in 70/80’s when Nigeria was still good.

Kingsway, Leventis, UTC, Solel Boneh, Ekene Dili Chukwu, etc �

Edit:

On the same topic. I bought 4 brand new Firestone tires at N50K a piece. My driver almost shit his pants because he wanted us to go find cheaper brands or “toks”. Imagine that.

On the same vehicle the previous owner swapped out the master brake cylinder for one without ABS. The level of risk in Nigeria is deplorable. Price is commensurate on difficulty of jobs or should be. This is why doctors earn more than accountants.

But I digress. Again grin

3 Likes

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by fishing: 10:10pm On Mar 27, 2018
Kazeems do not have a lot of apprentice as much as in the past.

The apprentice are now wiser and will prefer to ride okada,play Baba Ijebu or sports bet than to change a brake pad or engine oil and then you pay them a miserable NGN 500.
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by EDUECO(m): 9:11am On Mar 28, 2018
Thanks to everyone who has found it worthy to contribute to this noble topic!

The per capita income(average income)of any country has tremendous relationship or correlation to the price of goods and services offered for sale in that particular country. And that is why a mechanic can charge a prospective client $100 per hour in the USA.

A mechanic can't charge per hour in Nigeria because 99.9% of workers are not paid per hour in Nigeria.And as such a mechanic shouldn't expect me to pay N5 000 for a change of oil and filter in a Tokunbo car I bought for N1 000 000

What I'm trying to pass across is that a Nigerian mechanic should charge his or her clients based on the location of his/her business.
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by EDUECO(m): 9:21am On Mar 28, 2018
Why do mechanics cost so
much?

Average hourly rate is $80 to $100 an hour

Posted: 5:52 PM, December 08, 2015
Updated: 5:52 PM, December 08, 2015

The going average hourly rate for a mechanic
ranges from $80 to $100 an hour. After analyzing a
bill that could also include expensive parts, many
auto repair shop customers are left scratching their
heads and wondering if they are being ripped off.
The more you understand how a repair shop breaks
down and calculates their labor charges, the better
chance you have of making sure you are getting a
fair shake.

Why does a mechanic cost $100 per hour? How
much of that does the mechanic take home? How
is that figure determined?
How are labor charges determined?
The rate of $80 to $100 an hour is based off of
several national labor guides that are published
annually. The guides survey mechanics all around
the country to come up with figures and average
times to do repairs.
"Let's say you were going to go in and get a water
pump job done. They're going to say, 'OK, that job
takes two and half hours and the parts are 60
bucks,'" said Mark Larsen, a franchise training
manager for Car X. "Well, where that two and a
half hours comes from is your car and what an
average tech with a good set of tools takes to do
that job."

So, if a mechanic tells you the average time to
replace your water pump is four hours, and you are
suspicious of that, making a few phone calls to
other shops to ask them what they estimate for
time is a good, quick, easy way to double check.
But if a mechanic runs into a problem and it is
going to take longer than what was originally
expected, there could be extra labor charges if the
problem is a result of poor maintenance.

"Let's say you have an engine you haven't
maintained at all," said Larsen. "The coolant is
rusted, and I go down to change your water pump
and all the bolts are rusted, half the bolt's gone,
and the coolant is so bad. I go to take your water
pump off and two of your bolts break off, well
guess what? It's now on you and whatever extra
time it takes, that's extra."

Dealerships tend to charge more for labor, closer
to the $100 per hour range, than independents.
"Its kind of a market-driven thing. Chicago might
be higher than others. It's an average thing, based
upon what's going on," said Larsen. "It seems like
the dealers vs. the independents usually charge a
little more. They base it on the fact that their guys
are factory trained, and they've got all the special
tools that not everybody's got."

Where do labor charges go?
How much of the hourly rate goes into the
mechanics pocket can vary drastically. Some
mechanics get paid straight by the hour, some
make commission, and some get paid by how
many labor hours they charge in the week.
"When I worked as a tech, I got paid and hourly
rate, and that was based upon how much work I
put out, not how many hours I worked," said
Larsen. "If I put out 48 hours of work for the week,
then I got paid 48 hours."

To the average customer, a charge of $100 an
hour can seem very high, but you must take into
consideration the cost of running a repair shop.
"Well, you're looking at a whole lot of things," said
Larsen. "From the owner's perspective, he's paying
salary, he's paying benefits, he's paying workman's
comp, he's paying unemployment. You got all that
into it. You got the building, the lights, the tools,
the training, all that goes into it."

Also, the cost of becoming a mechanic can be
expensive. Mechanics must put themselves through
school and the common practice in the auto
industry is for mechanics to supply their own set
of tools.
"Every mechanic's got at least $25,000 in tools
that they own. They've had to pay for them
themselves," said Larsen

source:https://www.local10.com/digital-life-365/automotive-essentials/why-do-mechanics-cost-so-much
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by HottieCoach(f): 9:11pm On May 26, 2021
Quality is never an accident, it is always the result of intelligent effort
John Ruskin.

Quality speaking , We Source and Supply Quality Parts for a perfect repair.

wink wink

Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by Cokahot: 7:49am On May 27, 2021
My mechanics don't bill me big cos me I'm a free thinker. If I want to change linkage,or any lil fault I discovered or shocks etc. I give am 3k. Sometimes 4k dash. Sometimes 1500. And them no born am well to ask me cos I don't usually ask I pay with my brain aside that I do dash clothes to him and sometime iya olounje oys sell 4am ambala 300,pomo 200,shaki 100,etc. Buy am 1 bottle water and 1 cold coke. Why he no go pray for me.i hate cheating anyone. I no dey do big boy for mechanic side o. All those ones wey dey write 3k per tyre,5k per this. Na poverty go kill them las las .u go drive customer run far from your shop and of cos I don't do I will come back later for my car. I go wait thr with them. Make catalyst from factory nor lost.
Re: How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? by DMechyy: 2:46pm On Jun 01, 2021
Cokahot:
My mechanics don't bill me big cos me I'm a free thinker. If I want to change linkage,or any lil fault I discovered or shocks etc. I give am 3k. Sometimes 4k dash. Sometimes 1500. And them no born am well to ask me cos I don't usually ask I pay with my brain aside that I do dash clothes to him and sometime iya olounje oys sell 4am ambala 300,pomo 200,shaki 100,etc. Buy am 1 bottle water and 1 cold coke. Why he no go pray for me.i hate cheating anyone. I no dey do big boy for mechanic side o. All those ones wey dey write 3k per tyre,5k per this. Na poverty go kill them las las .u go drive customer run far from your shop and of cos I don't do I will come back later for my car. I go wait thr with them. Make catalyst from factory nor lost.

Chai. Them no burn your mechanic well shocked

grin Make catalyst no lost.

Valuable time you could put to great use, spent at workshop. Why won't you be dashing him money lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

P1349 Code On 2002 2azfe Toyota Camry / 2008 Honda Accord Issues / Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.