Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Abortion Should Be Made Legal - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abortion Should Be Made Legal (2386 Views)

What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Is Abortion Right In This Instance? / Who Will God Punish For Abortion? The Doctors, The Government Or The Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by naijacutee(f): 3:49pm On Mar 17, 2007
trini_girl:

You'll find that issues of common sense, right and wrong and law are relative. A mother doesnt make the choice to abort her child out of "common sense", it's usually a very painful decision in most cases, but it the end it seems like the "right" thing to do whether or not the "law" supports the procedure.
Yes, a mother doesn't make a decision to abort her child out of "common sense". She makes the decision not because she's right but because she is desperate. However, common sense and the "thing" called conscience still tell her that she is a murderer. (No matter what the law says.)

trini_girl:
As humans, even though we may think we know right from wrong, our own moral compass usually deceives us into only doing what seems right for ourselves at the present moment in time. Aborting a child may seem to be the right thing to do at that time, under that particular circumstance.

As healthy-minded humans, we do know right from wrong. We may not always live by what we know, but we cannot deny that in the very core of our being, we know when we should be doing something and when we shouldn't. We may disobey our conscience because we choose to, or because it seems like the only way out of complications, we may even try to justify our reasons for disobeying our conscience but the bottom line is that we all know in our hearts that killing a human like ourselves is wrong. Whether we choose to admit it or not is another case.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by Ndipe(m): 11:07pm On Mar 17, 2007
@Trinigirl, how can you compare my reasoning which is accepted universally that abortion is murder with another person's stance that battering one's wife is acceptable?
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by spoilt(f): 12:56am On Mar 18, 2007
no it shouldn't.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by KAG: 2:43am On Mar 18, 2007
[QUOTE]Abortion Should Be Made Legal[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by ruona: 10:53am On Mar 27, 2007
i belive that it should be made legal.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by busygirl(f): 11:39am On Mar 28, 2007
Abortion is simply MURDER, now tell me, how can murder be made legal? IMPOSSIBLE! The truth is dat most girls really don't av options especially wen dey are nt ready 2 become mothers, they get stuck nd come back 2 d same option- ABORTION. So, i advice ladies b4 losin ur heads 4 pleasure rides, just think about d consequences awaitin u, coz abortion can never b made legal.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by nferyn(m): 12:12pm On Mar 28, 2007
Of course it should be made legal. Comparing abortions to murder is absolutely preposterous. Even though abortions should be avoided as much as possible, mainly because of the negative psychological and physiological effects on the woman, the only reason why it is still illegal in some countries is because of unfounded religious ideas of ensoulment.
Let's be crystal clear here: a foetus of less than 25 weeks cannot possibly be considered a person because it lacks the neurological capacity to feel pain, let alone have something like sentience. A newborn mouse is more self-aware than a foetus.

When considering late term abortions on the other hand, I am compelled to believe these should be illegal, except under very specific circumstances, e.g when the woman's life is in danger or when the foetus is severely handicapped.

There are already other threads on this subject, e.g. Abortion: A Right Or a Crime?
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by TV01(m): 1:00pm On Mar 28, 2007
Hi Nferyn,

Long time, Hope you are well.

nferyn:

Comparing abortions to murder is absolutely preposterous.

Why? The wilful destruction of a innocent human being (especially of the most vulnerable and defenseless) is murder.

Even though abortions should be avoided as much as possible
Based on your premise above, why? Surely you see it as just a lifestyle choice?

because of the negative psychological and physiological effects on the woman
Presumably any negative effects on the child are inconsequential?
This is also double speak, because;
1. Would you not say that the whole reason for wanting an abortion in the first place was to avoid negative p&p effects? and
2. You omit to mention the wholly positive effects pregnancy and childbirth.

25 weeks cannot possibly be considered a person because it lacks the neurological capacity to feel pain

Hmmm, having said that, you then siad this

When considering late term abortions on the other hand, I am compelled to believe these should be illegal, except under very specific circumstances, e.g when the woman's life is in danger or when the foetus is severely handicapped.

Here you are allowing abortion of an individual who can feel pain, but because said individual is handicapped?

There are lots of handicapped people who can feel pain. The main difference betwween them and the foetus is location (i.e. outside the womb). Presumably killing them wouldn't count as murder either?

Atheism is just a big hole unable to make coherent sense of the moral let alone the spiritual. Likewise science, which has it's place, but will always fall short.

Have a good day

God bless
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by nferyn(m): 2:29pm On Mar 28, 2007
TV01:

Hi Nferyn,

Long time, Hope you are well.
Hi TV, it's been a while indeed that we had an online conversation. Hope everything's Ok at your end as well.

TV01:

Comparing abortions to murder is absolutely preposterous.
Why? The wilful destruction of a innocent human being (especially of the most vulnerable and defenseless) is murder.
You define your crime into existence. I disagree about the statement that a fetus is an innocent human being, so your definition doesn't apply.

TV01:

Even though abortions should be avoided as much as possible
Based on your premise above, why? Surely you see it as just a lifestyle choice?
Abortions are medical procedures that have negative physiological and psychological consequences for the woman. That's why they should be avoided as much as possible.

TV01:

because of the negative psychological and physiological effects on the woman
Presumably any negative effects on the child are inconsequential?
Once more you define a problem into existence based on the religious concept of ensoulment. Early term abortions are not [/u]the killing of a person, but merely the extraction of human cells with the [u]potential of becoming a person.

TV01:

This is also double speak, because;
1. Would you not say that the whole reason for wanting an abortion in the first place was to avoid negative p&p effects? and
2. You omit to mention the wholly positive effects pregnancy and childbirth.
Yes and the negative effects should be weighed against the positive effect. It's up to the woman to determine which effects take precedence.

TV01:

Hmmm, having said that, you then siad this
Here you are allowing abortion of an individual who can feel pain, but because said individual is handicapped?
It's a weighing of different rights and consequences against each other.
What is more important life or the quality of life? By allowing a severely handicapped baby to be born, you will condemn both mother and baby to a life of suffering, pain and missed opportunities. There are no absolute rights, all rights are relative to their context. The only reason why so many religious people consistently value life over the quality of life, is because of an unfounded belief in the existence of a soul.
By the way, I fail to see where there's any doublespeak here.

TV01:

There are lots of handicapped people who can feel pain. The main difference betwween them and the foetus is location (i.e. outside the womb). Presumably killing them wouldn't count as murder either?
We're no longer talking about a potential life here, but about an actual person, besides the context and consequences really determines what choice you need to make. The only effect of killing an already born handicapped person is negative, quite different from the abortion case.

TV01:

Atheism is just a big hole unable to make coherent sense of the moral let alone the spiritual.
And when did you stop beating your wife exactly? Strawmen and unsupported statements do not an argument make.
If you want to discuss atheistic morality, please open up a new thread. Secular humanist morality is far superior over religious morality, because religious morality is based on a whimsical interpretation of what is supposed to be the intentions of God. This essay explains the source of my morality in way I'm unable to do, as my linguistic skills in English are too limited
When I get a coherent explanation of what the spiritual actually is, I might be able to answer your claim about the spiritual, currently, the spiritual [/i]only equates the [i]ineffable.

TV01:

Likewise science, which has it's place, but will always fall short.
Of what?

TV01:

Have a good day
Likewise

TV01:

God bless
wink
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by TV01(m): 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2007
Hi Nferyn,

Okay, no problem. You don't hold top a notion of ensoulment, I am happy to put it to one side for the moment.

However, you must realise that you it reads somewhat blurred when you make statements like this;
Early term abortions are not the killing of a person, but merely the extraction of human cells with the potential of becoming a person.

So when does the potential become actual?

when the foetus is severely handicapped
How severe a handicap warrants termination and who is to say?

If it's about quality of life, living on less than a $1 a day in modern Nigeria, is really handicapping disabled or not, would you suggest their quality of life warrants termination?

Also you talk of weighing up rights and consequences. Whose rights exactly? By saying;
Yes and the negative effects should be weighed against the positive effect. It's up to the woman to determine which effects take precedence.
You are just trotting out the old "Womans right to choose" line which is not really a question of rights and consequences of all involved.

The only effect of killing an already born handicapped person is negative, quite different from the abortion case.

Please explain how?

God bless
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by nferyn(m): 11:53am On Mar 29, 2007
TV01:

Hi Nferyn,

Okay, no problem. You don't hold top a notion of ensoulment, I am happy to put it to one side for the moment.

However, you must realise that you it reads somewhat blurred when you make statements like this;
Early term abortions are not the killing of a person, but merely the extraction of human cells with the potential of becoming a person.
So when does the potential become actual?
When sentience kicks in. This is around 29 weeks.

TV01:

when the foetus is severely handicapped
How severe a handicap warrants termination and who is to say?
That depends on the specific legal framework. In Belgium, the woman decides, but only after consultation and advise from an ethical committee from the hospital in question. They usually don't decide when it's acceptable to abort, but rather when it's unethical to carry the fetus to term.

TV01:

If it's about quality of life, living on less than a $1 a day in modern Nigeria, is really handicapping disabled or not, would you suggest their quality of life warrants termination?
Already living human beings have full sentience, aspirations, hopes and dreams and are in the full capacity themselves to decide whether or not their life is worth living. That's nobody else's choice but theirs, a fetus is not exactly in the same position.
Now, it would be a good thing if those so obsessed with protecting life (e.g. the Schiavo case in the US) would spend only 10% of the resources and efforts they invest in that protection [/i]on bettering the quality of life of those already living. They've got their priorities all mixed up.

TV01:

Also you talk of weighing up rights and consequences. Whose rights exactly? By saying;
You are just trotting out the old "Womans right to choose" line which is not really a question of rights and consequences of all involved.
The ultimate arbiter is the woman, as nobody can force her to compromise the integrity of her body, so yes, I'm towing the [i]old
"Woman's right to choose line", but only in a specific set of circumstances for late term abortions. Before sentience kicks in, it's nobody's business but hers.

TV01:

The only effect of killing an already born handicapped person is negative, quite different from the abortion case.
Please explain how?
Do I need to spell this out? What positive consequences could killing an already born handicapped person possibly have? In the case of abortion, the consequences are clear: having a child at a moment or under circumstances that are less than ideal, does have an immediate negative effect on the quality of life, physical integrity and opportunities of the woman
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by ruona: 12:03pm On Apr 17, 2007
well its a womans body and i am of the opinion that she decides if she wants a baby growing in it or not.
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by 4Play(m): 12:53pm On Apr 17, 2007
nferyn:

So when does the potentia[/b]l become actual?

When sentience kicks in. This is around 29 weeks.

Until 29 weeks,its merely a [b]potential
? The irony is that the biggest obstacle to this "potential" materialising is the abortionist

nferyn:

Already living human beings have full sentience, aspirations, hopes and dreams and are in the full capacity themselves to decide whether or not their life is worth living. That's nobody else's choice but theirs, a fetus is not exactly in the same position.

That is why we must terminate it!We know if we left it alone,there is a 99.9% chance it will acquire all the above(aspirations,hopes,dreams,sentience,e.t.c)so we are fully justified in artificially intervening so as to stop what,if the natural process was not interfered with,would most likely lead to a fully formed human.

nferyn:

Now, it would be a good thing if those so obsessed with protecting life (e.g. the Schiavo case in the US) would spend only 10% of the resources and efforts they invest in that protection [/i]on bettering the quality of life of those already living. They've got their priorities all mixed up.

One could make the same facile comment about pro-terminators.If they spent 10% of their resources and efforts on the living instead of promoting  the necrotisation of foetuses,things would be better.
nferyn:

The ultimate arbiter is the woman, as nobody can force her to compromise the integrity of her body, so yes, I'm towing the [i]old
"Woman's right to choose line", but only in a specific set of circumstances for late term abortions. Before sentience kicks in, it's nobody's business but hers.
This is mantric piffle.Since its simply "the integrity of her body",why not terminate at whatever term?  The "integrity of her body" does not include,the prescence in the womb,of an entity which but for human intervention,will most likely materialise into human life

nferyn:

Do I need to spell this out? What positive consequences could killing an already born handicapped person possibly have? In the case of abortion, the consequences are clear: having a child at a moment or under circumstances that are less than ideal, does have an immediate negative effect on the quality of life, physical integrity and opportunities of the woman

You could do better.A negative effect on the "quality of life,physical integrity and opportunities of a woman" could hardly be sufficient justification for terminating a domestic pet not to talk of a "potential" human.
Isn't well documented that abortion itself can have the above negative consequences for a woman anyway?

The reality is that since abortion was legalised in the U.K(1964),it has doubled in numbers since the 70s.The argument in the U.K by pro-abortionists was that abortions will be reduced,or at least stabilised, not increased.Vindication!
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by nferyn(m): 8:15am On Apr 18, 2007
4 Play:

Until 29 weeks,its merely a potential ? The irony is that the biggest obstacle to this "potential" materialising is the abortionist
No it isn't because early term, the biggest 'terminator' is nature (or God if you wish). There are far more natural abortions that occur than there are induced abortions.

4 Play:

That is why we must terminate it!We know if we left it alone,there is a 99.9% chance it will acquire all the above(aspirations,hopes,dreams,sentience,e.t.c)so we are fully justified in artificially intervening so as to stop what,if the natural process was not interfered with,would most likely lead to a fully formed human.
Your betting is way off. Many (if not most) zygotes abort naturally. But your reference to what would naturally occur isn't really relevant. If we would only allow things to happen as they naturally occur, we'd still be hunter-gatherers. All forms of human culture are unnatural. What then is your reason for determining that this unnatural practice is not acceptable and others are?

4 Play:

Now, it would be a good thing if those so obsessed with protecting life (e.g. the Schiavo case in the US) would spend only 10% of the resources and efforts they invest in that protection on bettering the quality of life of those already living. They've got their priorities all mixed up
One could make the same facile comment about pro-terminators.If they spent 10% of their resources and efforts on the living instead of promoting the necrotisation of foetuses,things would be better.
I get your point and you're right here, it was a facile comment. However, that doesn't mean it isn't true though and more to the point, it shows their preference for fetuses over the dreams, aspirations and well being of actual human beings.

4 Play:

The ultimate arbiter is the woman, as nobody can force her to compromise the integrity of her body, so yes, I'm towing the old "Woman's right to choose line", but only in a specific set of circumstances for late term abortions. Before sentience kicks in, it's nobody's business but hers.
This is mantric piffle.Since its simply "the integrity of her body",why not terminate at whatever term? The "integrity of her body" does not include,the prescence in the womb,of an entity which but for human intervention,will most likely materialise into human life
Mantric piffle, I'm learning new words every day. You're doing your utmost to expand my vocabulary, don't you wink
Actually, after reading my post again, it seems that I didn't make my point very clearly.
1. before sentience kicks in, there shouldn't even be a debate. The fetus is not a person and it's the woman's responsibility to determine what to do with the pregancy
2. after sentience kicks in, the fetus is now a person and the rights of that person should be weighed against the rights of the woman. This is the area where the debate should be focussed on and there are sensible arguments both pro and con. Here I say that in general, I value the quality of life the woman and the opportunities of the (potential) child over the mere life of the fetus. That's my personal ethical stance and reasonable people can disagree on that. In all circumstances though, the ethical implications of whether or not to abort are very much situational and definitely not absolute. In legal terms, some cut off points will need to be made though.

4 Play:

You could do better.A negative effect on the "quality of life,physical integrity and opportunities of a woman" could hardly be sufficient justification for terminating a domestic pet not to talk of a "potential" human.
That's your opinion, not mine. What grounds do you have for thinking that this is not sufficient grounds for termination? If you look at the recent case in Poland, where the failure to allow a woman to have an abortion led to her becoming blind. Do you consider that health risk insufficient grounds for abortion?

4 Play:

Isn't well documented that abortion itself can have the above negative consequences for a woman anyway?
Indeed and therefore these consequences too need to be taken into account.

4 Play:

The reality is that since abortion was legalised in the U.K(1964),it has doubled in numbers since the 70s.The argument in the U.K by pro-abortionists was that abortions will be reduced,or at least stabilised, not increased.Vindication!
I don't know the specific legal framework of the UK, so I cannot comment on that. For Belgium and the Netherlands though, where there is a comprehensive social and legal framework in which these abortions take place, the opposite is rather true. For the Netherlands, there was even a drastic decrease in numbers for native Dutch citizens, but a significant increase for new immigrants, proportionally way above the numbers of the native Dutch, especially among Muslim girls, but that's a very different discussion
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by MP007(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2007
its really hard, as much as i dont support abortion an unborn festus and also dont think its right to have a baby from a mother that was raped, abused etc.its really difficult to walkl btw the lines of ethics , its reallt thin, lord have mercy!!1
Re: Abortion Should Be Made Legal by hannydarl(f): 12:23am On Apr 21, 2007
It should be made legal i belive the fact that its made legal will not change the numbers of girls who opt for it.now that it is illegal has it stoped girls from having it? those who dont want babies will always chose to have a d&c legaly or illegaly the only difference will be that more lives will be saved if its legalised and that is why i support its legalization.Right now most people act like abortion should not be considered by anyone but wait till you, your sister,your friend or your brother's babe gets pregnant then youll apreciate the fact that you can get a good medical doctor to help if you choose to abort it. At least let those who chose to do it have qualified people to do it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People Sleep In Church / Apologies / Christianity And Things That Aren't Really Known

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.