Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,087 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo (1170 Views)

Ex-pdp Chair Faults Akpabio’s Zoning Formula / Jonathan’s Camp Kicks Over 2019 PDP Zoning / New Power Sharing Arrangement: Pdp’s Zoning Knocks Off South-west Zone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by mekusxxx: 12:43am On May 05, 2010
2011: Don’t truncate PDP zoning formula –Nwobodo
01 May, 2010 02:17:00 MUHAMMAD KABIR, Kano
Font size:

Former governor of old Anambra state, Chief Jim Nwobodo has warned that any attempt to scuttle the zoning formula in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will only cause tension and uncertainty in the nation’s polity.

Also, Chief Nwobodo decried the actions of certain people in the party who are hell-bent on removing from office the party’s national chairman, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, insisting that even his removal will hardly solve the chains of problems affecting the party.

Answering questions from journalists in Kano when he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late former governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abubakar Rimi, who was also his bosom friend, Chief Nwobodo said for peace and tranquility to reign in the country, there was need to continue with the existing zoning formula in the PDP.

He added that anyone trying to go against it will just end up creating tension, unnecessary bad blood and uncertainty in the country.

Emphasizing that though the zoning method is a PDP affair, Chief Nwobodo explained that it did not mean that other Nigerians have no right to contest every office of their choice.

For kicking against the zoning method, Rimi was strongly condemned, Chief Nwobodo said, explaining that because Rimi was a peace loving man, he at a time, accepted his fate and allowed peace to reign.

"Therefore, truncating this arrangement is a great disservice to Nigerians because it will only cause uncertainty among them," he cautioned.

He recalled that in 1999, despite the fact that PDP zoned the presidency to the south, the late Rimi still went ahead to contest, thereby rejecting the zoning formula, adding that his contesting in the election did not bear any fruit because "we forced him out of the contest; and I could remember that was when I had a disagreement with my bosom friend."

The arrangement was strictly followed, leading to former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s victory for his second tenure in office, according to Chief Nwobodo, who quickly added, "therefore any attempt to truncate this arrangement will be tantamount to causing disaffection in the nation’s polity and it will not go down well with everybody."

He said: "For peace and love to continue to exist, I want the zoning exercise to remain, and about the other parties; anybody who wants to contest should do that."

On Ogbulafor, who some groups in the party are calling for his head, Chief Nwobodo said, though the party’s national chairman has been rejected by some people, he is not solely responsible for the image problem the party is having now. He noted that dialogue, rather than removal of Ogbulafor, will resolve the problem so that "the party can forge ahead."

On the other hand, shedding tears openly at the residence of Rimi, Chief Nwobodo remembered how they operated their progressive ideologies, emphasizing that "for only I was not in the country when Rimi died, I would have been the chief host of his sympathizers because this is not only a friend but a family member who so much cared for me." He added: "We have all lost a rare gem whose attitudes and concern was all for the talakas."

He, however, rejected the notion that Rimi’s death has brought about the complete demise of the progressive ideology, insisting that all other progressive elements that were actively in the quest for having a "just government, have been spread in other political parties and I want to believe that their ideologies are still intact."
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by mekusxxx: 12:44am On May 05, 2010
Nwobodo makes another politically sane contribution in this Obasanjo-induced imbroglio.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by jumobi1(m): 1:10am On May 05, 2010
Honestly, this zoning thing might make sense but I rather we break up. If elections are free and fair, the candidate that has tribal/religious affiliation with more people would win. That candidate would not necessarily be the best candidate. When this happens with three presidents, we would cry that "our people never get a chance". Nigerians are not educated enough and too ethnocentric to vote for the best regardless of where HE comes from.
We really have to break up or hope in 20 years, our people would be less ethnocentric and more enlightened.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by Osama10(m): 1:12am On May 05, 2010
I have always said it break the f%%king country up.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by mekusxxx: 1:13am On May 05, 2010
Breaking up is an attractive option. But before then, power must rotate to all the zones. This is commonsensical in an ethnically-polarized country such as ours.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by jumobi1(m): 1:26am On May 05, 2010
mekusxxx:

Breaking up is an attractive option. But before then, power must rotate to all the zones. This is commonsensical in an ethnically-polarized country such as ours.

But doesn't zoning hinder progress? Ex, last year, we had a Yoruba president. This year PDP has to nominate a Hausa president because of zoning. What if there is a yoruba guy in PDP that we all know is a way better candidate. We won't give him a chance to better Nigeria because a Nigerian was in power last term? That's almost ignorant. Nigeria = Catch 22.

Don't say he should switch parties because Nigeria is essentially a 1 party democracy.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by mekusxxx: 1:32am On May 05, 2010
Jumobi:

There are good candidates in all regions of Nigeria. No group, how much less Yoruba (using your example) can arrogate anything to itself. So rotate the shit or risk a break up.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by bkbabe97: 1:35am On May 05, 2010
Ah, this Chief Jim Nwobodo dude is Ibo too, right? No surprise there! The morons!!!
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by ndcide(m): 1:54am On May 05, 2010
even with the zoning formula , my community is still being marginalized! i strongly think the zoning should go round all LGAs with only a single term per person.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by sjeezy8: 1:44pm On May 05, 2010
This sounds like whining. . . . Even Minority tribes arent whining this much. This is incredibly crazy . . . .

and a defeatist attitude at best. I cant believe how some igbos think its a shame. Ijaws people dont even have this mentality all they want is federalism. this is alarming sad and funny at d same time shocked

The presidency isnt even SHIOT . An Hausa can be president time and time again who f***n cares, as long as theres federalism that we can develop ourselves it shouldnt be that serious.

If every citizen thought like you idiots then there would be over abillion countries in the world. People wouldnt migrate to US or UK. ahah As if  having a president from your ethnicity is life or death wtf Go and ask Jews in America if they had a president! What of Mexican?! Even black sef just get president.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by gidson12(m): 4:34pm On May 05, 2010
whichever way they want to take it, zoning whatever, this nation has waited long enough for a credible leader that would make a change
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by redsun(m): 5:12pm On May 05, 2010
A view of another thief to appease his thieving compatriots.If nigeria is really a country,why the zoning?
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by naso2(m): 5:16pm On May 05, 2010
Hmmmmmmm. Nwobodo still dey? I don almost forget the guy completely.
Re: 2011: Don’t Truncate Pdp Zoning Formula –nwobodo by metalgong5(m): 11:22pm On May 05, 2010
sjeezy8:

This sounds like whining. . . . Even Minority tribes arent whining this much. This is incredibly crazy . . . .

and a defeatist attitude at best. I cant believe how some igbos think its a shame. Ijaws people dont even have this mentality all they want is federalism. this is alarming sad and funny at d same time shocked

The presidency isnt even SHIOT . An Hausa can be president time and time again who f***n cares, as long as theres federalism that we can develop ourselves it shouldnt be that serious.

If every citizen thought like you idiots then there would be over abillion countries in the world. People wouldnt migrate to US or UK. ahah As if  having a president from your ethnicity is life or death wtf Go and ask Jews in America if they had a president! What of Mexican?! Even black sef just get president.

Always talking trash.

(1) (Reply)

Saraki Is Not From Kwara By Alhaji Abdulganiyu Folorunsho Abdulrazak / Alex Otti Is Diamond Bank's New Chief / Finally, Nnpc Admits: ‘we Are Broke’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.