Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,186 members, 7,825,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc (27683 Views)

Official MMA Thread (UFC/PFL) / Top 10 Nigerians Fighters In Mixed Martial Art And Boxing World Title Shot 2019 / Mixed Martial Art 215 Shevchanko Vs Nunes Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2018
Good day ,

I've been meaning to start a thread for mixed martial arts fans on this forum .

Also more importantly to embrace new comers and potential fans to this sport .

I've only seen a few people here but everyone is welcome.

I will modify my posts to educate and inform old , new or casual fans on what's going on .

There's more to the sport than Connor McGregor .

Well to me the biggest event coming up in 2 weeks time is UFC 223 ... which features 2 very very interesting fights .

Tony Ferguson ( interim lightweight champ ) vs khabib nurmagomedov .

Cool things about this two fighters :

Khabib is Russian ...he's undefeated and holds a record of 25 - 0 . He has never even lost a round in his entire career let alone a fight . ( He is one of the reasons why Connor McGregor doesn't want to fight at the moment in my opinion ) .

As for Tony Ferguson well he has this crazy unpredictable style of fighting ...he has a submission move which is just unbelievable called the imanri roll ...besides that there's his custom d'arce choke amongst others . Tony Ferguson is on a 10 -0 fight streak record .

The cool thing is both of these fighters are good on the ground and possess a wide range of grappling techniques .

The second fight is Rose namajunas vs Joanna Jędrzejczyk: for the women's straw weight title .

This is actually a rematch as in the previous fight rose the Challenger , against all odds beat Joanna . This feat would be akin to Newcastle beating arsenal back then . ( You get the point ) .

So that's that for now . I guess I will start by giving some random news from the world of MMA .

Also to the WWE fans I implore you get involved with MMA ...it's very very interesting .

Thank you .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by QueenSuccubus(f): 2:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
cool

I only watch One Championship which is Asia's UFC..
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 26, 2018
How I got into MMA ...

From a start I've always been a wrestling fan right from the 80s my dad initiated us from the start .

I was one of those cats who would fight you to prove wrestling was real and not take.

Until one day I unfortunately saw Jesse Ventura's biography film . And he exposed and confirmed that wrestling was fake and staged nonetheless I was invested in wrestling .

Till one day I noticed that channels tv right after cartoons and just before the news would show some guys fighting violently knocking each other out .

This promotion was called PRIDE .

That was my first dose of MMA ...I saw guys like Mirko cro cop . Alastair overeem ...Fedor etc beat the crap out of each other with such brutality and skill that I became hooked .

I noticed and recalled that ken shamrock from WWE had moved from MMA to WWE and then back again .

For a time channels tv stopped showing PRIDE .

the only other ways I came into contact with MMA were adverts in maxim magazines of UFC events featuring Chuck liddel vs Tito Ortiz .

I reverted back to WWE . Just causally paying attention to MMA .

Until I heard of an Irish fighter who knocked out Jose aldo in record time to win the UFC feather weight belt .

And just like that boom ...I was back again .

I encourage you to share your own stories too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 26, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
cool

I only watch One Championship which is Asia's UFC..

You were the last person I ever thought would comment here ...I'm shocked .

My mouth is open ...I don't believe it .
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 26, 2018
Take of the tape UFC 223 main event

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 26, 2018
Khabib and c . Ronaldo

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 26, 2018
UFC 223

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 26, 2018
Our Nigerian brother kamaru Usman who is scheduled to fight Santiago ponzibbibio soon .

Kamaru is presently undefeated in ufc .

There are other Nigerian mixed martial artists too ...

Isreal adesanya is another up coming prospect too .

He has a funny entrance ritual where he pretends to pee against the gate of the octagon much to the distaste of UFC brass .

But the fans love him .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Thegamingorca(m): 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2018
This is cool
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 26, 2018
Thegamingorca:
This is cool

Thanks brother stick around best is yet to come .
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 26, 2018
Frankie " the Answer " Edgar's heartbreaking loss to upcoming feather weight , Brian " t- city " Ortega .

Frankie is one of the few people who fans thought could beat McGregor .

McGregor even went out his way to console him on Instagram after the loss .

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2018
Kevin lee employing the rear naked choke ...

A submission move that is just as deadly as it sounds .

Most stubborn fighters won't tap out .

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 26, 2018
George St . Pierre .

Arguably one of the greats of the sport .

He has a karate background and got beat by a few wrestlers/ grapplers ...so he changed his style and started what is referred to as lay and prey .

He will take you down ...hold you down and beat you till he gets a submission or the buzzer sounds .

Notable fights ...st. Pierre vs Matt Sera .

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 26, 2018
St. Pierre vs Micheal bisping .

Bisping is just the worst middle weight bad mouth ever .

The guy will abuse you and father and talk and talk .

His best skill is running away from fighters that can win him .

But make no mistake his tough and he is from Manchester , UK .

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 26, 2018
Holly Holmes celebrating her win over Rhonda Rousey ...I'm not sure tho could be mistaken .

Rhonda would eventually go to the WWE ...I'm happy for her .

However I think her MMA coach ...did her wrong by pushing her to fight Amanda Nunes ....

And even tried to get Rhonda to fight Cris cyborg ...which would be like buhari fighting Tyson in his prime . Iron Mike Tyson ohhh ...

1 Like

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 26, 2018
Anderson Silva vs Micheal bisping .

Silva is arguably one of the greatest of all times ...however he has been suspended for doping twice if I'm not mistaken .

This fight is crazy because in this round bisping in order to get out of trouble would spit out his mouth guard when the fight was too hot . I'm guessing he did this to get the referee to stop the fight and order him to put his mouth guard back in his mouth . Giving bisping a chance to reset and rest .

However this one time bisping pointed to the ref that his mouth guard had fallen out and Silva went in with a flying double knee which knocked him out .

End of the fight right ...but no .

Silva being the cocky bastard that he is turned around and raised his hands in triumph believing that bisping had been knocked out .

Only for the referee to call out to him that bisping had gotten back up and the fight was not over .

Just as silva went in for the kill the buzzer sounded .

Micheal bisping would later turn the tables and win the remain rounds of the fight .

However this fight went to a decision and. Guess who won bisping albeit controversially . Some believe Silva won ...

This was just one of the two controversial decisions in bispings career .

1 Like

Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nihilstjnr: 11:51am On Mar 29, 2018
omo what's happening here?

I dey reason start BJJ training for fitness.

Anybody wey dey do am for here? What can I expect as a complete noob?
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by quinSonia(f): 2:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
tobianthony op I guess you are a fan of QPARK..that guy is hilarious

sorry for derailing back to the MMA what of Dave Batista heard he went also for MMA and that Brock lesnar guy..rhounda rousey wouldn't last long in an MMA match abi she think say na WWE...lol
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nihilstjnr: 2:31pm On Mar 29, 2018
quinSonia:

sorry for derailing back to the MMA what of Dave Batista heard he went also for MMA and that Brock lesnar guy..rhounda rousey wouldn't last long in an MMA match abi she think say na WWE...lol

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by A40(m): 3:11pm On Mar 29, 2018
tobianthony:
George St . Pierre .

Arguably one of the greats of the sport .

He has a karate background and got beat by a few wrestlers/ grapplers ...so he changed his style and started what is referred to as lay and prey .

He will take you down ...hold you down and beat you till he gets a submission or the buzzer sounds .

Notable fights ...st. Pierre vs Matt Sera .
St Pierre was a real G. Whatever issues he is dealing with I hope he sorts it soon
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by A40(m): 4:08pm On Mar 29, 2018
tobianthony:

tobianthony:

The best overall talker was definitely the American Gangster Chael Sonnen.

quinSonia:

Please tell me you are joking
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by A40(m): 4:21pm On Mar 29, 2018
tobianthony:
Anderson Silva vs Micheal bisping .

Silva is arguably one of the greatest of all times ...however he has been suspended for doping twice if I'm not mistaken .

This fight is crazy because in this round bisping in order to get out of trouble would spit out his mouth guard when the fight was too hot . I'm guessing he did this to get the referee to stop the fight and order him to put his mouth guard back in his mouth . Giving bisping a chance to reset and rest .

However this one time bisping pointed to the ref that his mouth guard had fallen out and Silva went in with a flying double knee which knocked him out .

End of the fight right ...but no .

Silva being the cocky bastard that he is turned around and raised his hands in triumph believing that bisping had been knocked out .

Only for the referee to call out to him that bisping had gotten back up and the fight was not over .

Just as silva went in for the kill the buzzer sounded .

Micheal bisping would later turn the tables and win the remain rounds of the fight .

However this fight went to a decision and. Guess who won bisping albeit controversially . Some believe Silva won ...

This was just one of the two controversial decisions in bispings career .

Do you remember the Da Silva x Weidmann fight where Da Silva broke a leg after Weidmann checked his kick with his own leg? Mental!!

From UFC to Bellator if we start with all the great middleweights and Light Heavyweights we won't leave here today I tell you
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 10:03am On Mar 30, 2018
Nice one bro!

I have always wanted to start a thread on MMA and Boxing!
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 10:06am On Mar 30, 2018
A40:
St Pierre was a real G. Whatever issues he is dealing with I hope he sorts it soon

Hahahaha

GSP is going crazy grin grin

Dude is suffering from over training, too much sparing and excessive hit to the head. His stories on UFOs, alien and co are a clear sign of the problem he is facing. Take nothing away from the dude though he is the greatest welterweight of all time. Plus he is super dedicated to the sport of MMA.
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 10:11am On Mar 30, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

I started in January but had to stop after 3 weeks due to my busy schedule. BJJ is fun bro! I would advise you register with a nogi dojo or training centre. If you can find a 10th planet BJJ dojo, go for it.

BJJ is excellent for fitness training, my first day I rolled with a 17 years old boy who is a purple belt and I ran out of breadth in 5 mins grin
I was shocked! I workout 2-3 times a week and weigh 90kg. The dude was about 65kg and he destroyed me on the mat.

I plan to do some Judo and also Kickboxing in the future.
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 10:19am On Mar 30, 2018
tobianthony:
Our Nigerian brother kamaru Usman who is scheduled to fight Santiago ponzibbibio soon .

Kamaru is presently undefeated in ufc .

There are other Nigerian mixed martial artists too ...

Isreal adesanya is another up coming prospect too .

He has a funny entrance ritual where he pretends to pee against the gate of the octagon much to the distaste of UFC brass .

But the fans love him .

Other fighters of Nigerian descent in the UFC are

Jimi Manuwa, born in the US but grew up in London, UK.

Azunna Ayanwu born in the US.

Israel Adesanya spent about 10 years in Nigeria before his family immigrated to New Zealand. He is a decorated and excellent kickboxer. His striking is crisp and deadly. I hope he can work and improve his takedown defence. He is also very long for the middleweight division. He has an 80 inches reach.

Usman Kamaru left Nigeria as a baby but he is so into Naija related stuffs. He is predominantly a wrestler but his striking is also improving. I hope he gets a good run at the welterweight division.
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 10:26am On Mar 30, 2018
tobianthony:

Bisping running away

Are you for real

Please do not disrespect the Count! Dude was fighting killers when the sport was filled with cheats and PED users. He fought TRT Vitor and almost lost sight in one of his eyes after Vitor head kicked him into another dimension.

Bro Bisping fought Vitor, Hendo, Rockhold and Anderson. How can you say he runs away from competition. I won't blame him for wanting a to avenge his loss to Henderson and also going for a money fight against GSP.

If you were him would you fight Yoel Romero... LMaO??
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by A40(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2018
olabode89:

Hahahaha

GSP is going crazy grin grin

Dude is suffering from over training, too much sparing and excessive hit to the head. His stories on UFOs, alien and co are a clear sign of the problem he is facing. Take nothing away from the dude though he is the greatest welterweight of all time. Plus he is super dedicated to the sport of MMA.
Aren't they all facing one demon or the other? It's a really crazy sport.

I want to know whose idea it was to put Daniel Cormier vs Miocic. Left for me I would rather Ngannou got another shot. He's the only one that didn't get destroyed like Cormier likely would.

Btw is King Mo from Bellator Nigerian? I gbadun him two fights with Rampage Jackson
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by olabode89(m): 1:16pm On Mar 30, 2018
A40:
Aren't they all facing one demon or the other? It's a really crazy sport.

I want to know whose idea it was to put Daniel Cormier vs Miocic. Left for me I would rather Ngannou got another shot. He's the only one that didn't get destroyed like Cormier likely would.

Btw is King Mo from Bellator Nigerian? I gbadun him two fights with Rampage Jackson

Bro! Don't underestimate DC. He use to be a heavyweight and he defeated guys like Josh Barnett. DC has also got good wrestling and dirty boxing.

Mohammed Lawal aka King Mo is of Naija descent but he was born and raised in US.
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 30, 2018
quinSonia:

Actually I do like qpark ...don't know how you know that .

Yeah Dave Batista's foray into MMA did not go very well ...he said he didn't like getting punched in the face and said Bleep it . It's not for everyone .

As for Rhonda it's been a long time coming ...I think she's better of in the wwe .

Couple of weeks ago ...UFC president Dana white posted a picture of himself and Brock Lesnar ... speculation is that Brock is going to sign with the UFC . I guess at WrestleMania we will know for sure .
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 30, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

Haaa ...my dude good one ... I guess you leave abroad . You can expect to be able to defend yourself . It's a very good art . Just watch videos on YouTube .
Re: Mixed Martial Arts Fan Thread: UFC, Bellator Etc by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2018
A40:

Yeah he had health issues and vacated the middle weight belt as many analysts predicted ...no need to spoil his legacy .

The much fabled fight between him and Ben askren ...I wonder if it will ever happen tho ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Camavinga Or Ndidi: Which Player Should Manchester United Sign? / Obasanjo, Ambode And Oshoala At The Aiteo CAF Awards (Photos) / Villarreal Award Samuel Chukwueze As Best Breakout Player

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.