Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

FIRST TIME ABROAD - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FIRST TIME ABROAD (7700 Views)

Nigerians That Overstays Their Limited Time Abroad / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) / Share Ur Experience Ur First Time Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 1:59pm On May 05, 2010
HOW'S YOUR FIRST EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE YOUR COUNTRY?grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Spyker: 5:18pm On May 05, 2010
First experience was in Anthalya in Turkey, it was winter and i wore a silk trouser (what we call material). It was really cold and i near froze. Well, the rest is history. My two weeks in that country was hell. My bed was cold like ice block, tea easily gets cold.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 1:43pm On May 06, 2010
WE GOT LOST FOR THREE DAYS IN NORWAY FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE AND COMPREHEND THEIR MAPS. FOODS WAS ANOTHER PROBLEM AS WE ATE ONLY SANDWICH BUT IF YOU BUY SOUP FROM THE FAST FOOD YOU GET FREE WHITE RICE, SO THAT BECAME OUR NORMAL ROUTINE. THE WINTER WAS ANOTHER THING WITH TEMPERATURE BELOW 5 DAILY, YOU WILL EXPECT NORWEGIANS TO BE MAKING BABIES BUT THEY DON'T, SUNRISE IS 12PM AND SETS BY 1PM. WE CLOSE FROM WORK BY 4PM, WHICH IS ALREADY DARK OUTSIDE HEADING STRAIGHT FOR OUR SOUP AND FREE RICE JOINT.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by omega25red(m): 2:16pm On May 06, 2010
my first time abroad was like in 1986 honestly i was just excited about getting on a plane for the first time being 6yrs old and all so i really didn't have to struggle because i was with my parents.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 3:40am On May 07, 2010
@OMEGA,

LUCKY YOU FOR MUM AND DAD WERE IN CHARGE.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by emekachuck: 5:11pm On May 07, 2010
My first time experience was amazine. I when to the Netherlands beautiful country
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by frankkky: 5:44pm On May 07, 2010
@poster agar i find your story hard to belive cos in norway english is their second language so for you to to say u lost your way cos u couldnt speak their language, hmmmm
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by cau: 1:18am On May 08, 2010
@ frankkky
I strongly support you, almost every Norwegian speaks English
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by wip4: 10:28am On May 08, 2010
I am not supportin the poster wen he said he has lang barrier but it it very very possible. Since english is not the official lang in Norway alot of pple might not speak it. even in Nigeria i have found myself in a town in Zamfara state , MARU (a town inside MARU LG)to be precise where english is the major probs and for weeks many pple cant communicate cos they only speak their lang.

it is possible for the poster to travel to one city also in norway where they do not speak english. so you guys supposed to ask him where in Norway not saying you dont beliv him is possible. to buttress my point i have travelled to Lånke and Hegra in Norway 85% cant speak english even 15% that speaks was just a sorry case.

so cau and frankkky where do you guys live in Norway?? then go to these places and speak wif dem and come back and write here if is true or not. which part of norway are you guys ? i will be travellin again to norway for this summer
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by mgbogo: 8:54pm On May 08, 2010
My
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by oyewolejos(m): 3:22am On May 09, 2010
Pants down at JFK Airport in New York aftermath of the Xmas day Bombing attempt.
After the search everybody were looking at me as if i have a bomb in my underwear but as a 9ja guy i no send.Claimed my luggage and board a plane to Los Angeles. grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 12:05pm On May 15, 2010
oyewolejos:

Pants down at JFK Airport in New York aftermath of the Xmas day Bombing attempt.
After the search everybody were looking at me as if i have a bomb in my underwear but as a 9ja guy i no send.Claimed my luggage and board a plane to Los Angeles. grin

PEOPLE WERE ONLY LOOKING AT YOUR NO LONG TIHING AND NOT YOU BUT YOU TRY ANYWAY GOING THROUGH THAT.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 15, 2010
First time outside Naija was in cotonu as a motor dealer. It was nice seeing exotic rides in parks

1 Like

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 10:23am On May 16, 2010
HOLLAND - A WRONG PLACE TO GROW UP.
CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREAT TRAVELLING HUBS FOR STOP-OVER AND CONNECTING FLIGHTS SINCE THE EARLY 60s, 70s AND 80s. A MODERN CITY OF EVERY IMAGINATION, TO BE CONT'D
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 1:51pm On May 20, 2010
smiley smiley
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by lisa999: 4:03pm On May 20, 2010
my first time abroad was fabulous,my bros girlfriend came to pick me up at the airport and she treated me like a princess
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by MADAFA: 9:33am On May 24, 2010
My first time abroad was in cotonou some few years back to pick my first ride it was a shivering experience that never allowed me savour the good part of the trip. Ina eh, after suffering those sleepless nights on campus jerking like craze i eventually got work after plenty waka about, newspaper browsing, parleying with dhl, ups, fedex, ems pple just to get access to send free applications i finally made it to one work and within two years i don save up 400k - the arrival of big boy. So the first thought was getting a car at least to ease my mind for those past sufferings, so friends introduced to one dealer like that since he has helped them in getting one from cotonou. Being my first big bucks and trust no one i decided i will follow the dealer holding my money myself. We agreed to meet at Seme border, so i wore native caftan so i can concile the mighty bucks without drawing attention, na so i reach Seme, manage to trace my guy and off we went. My initial happiness, the dreams of owning a car started to elude me when suddenly the dealer flagged down okada, we mounted and it turned into one narrow bush part travelling to no end in mute silence. Immediately, i exclaimed i'm finished my 400k don go where on earth is this guy taking me upon all the referals i got through friends to him no wonder friends said i should give him the money and he will deliver the car but my first savings no be gari oh, now i began to regret this trip in a foreign land. All sort of thoughts came to my head and suddenly for the first time in my life i realised money was nothing but life matters and the dream of owning a car was gradually fading away with every kilometre travelled my heart rate increases with sweat pouring from my skin like river. This journey lasted about an hour but to me it was eternity and the worst trip ever in my life.

Like joke we eventually arrived a open area and behold we are back on the express road with cars staring at me left right and centre, immediately i tap my guy it's ok i have seen a car whether it was ok or not i beckon him to drop and we settled on Audi 80 infact at the point of exchanging the naira it was so soaked that it caused another stir before collection. That day became sweet after all and i promised never to try that anymore na only shit i no shit for body but e bi like say i piss small sha. Upon my promise never to return that way again i got wiser and got another referal from a friend to a custom officer there and henceforth it was sweet smooth sail as we will just drive direct from Badagry to the parks, usually as we speed along the memory of my first big boy will just flash past my mind and the comfort of my custom guy's car will just console me.

Anyway it was a sweet bitter experience at least na for abroad dis one happen. chikena, yau wa.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2010
cool
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by dominique(f): 1:06pm On Jun 23, 2010
Cotonou is now abroad grin

1 Like

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 23, 2010
My first time abroad was when myself, my sister and our parents came to Nigeria to settle.

Back then, most trips were by sea, we took off from Liverpool, I can still remember the vessel name - MV (Motor Vessel) Aureol. I was 6 then, while my sister was 8. I have a very good memory, as I still remember our cabin, C-71 (cabin 71 on deck C).

The first thing that struck me when we docked at Apapa, lagos was the heat, it seemed to come in waves. It was also the first time myself and my sister saw ceiling fans and lizards. I remember thinking the lizards looked like cute baby crocodiles.  smiley

Those were the days, we've since returned to Britain, but we have fond memories of Nigeria.  cool

MV Aureol was operated at the time by EDL (Elder Dempster Lines) of Liverpool. I did research the vessel back in 2006, as I was curious to know what had happened to her. She was broken up in 2001, after making her last voyage from Eleusina, Greece to the port of Alang, India. I did speak to EDL's new operators, and was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from the first mate, now an old man. He purchased some of the fittings from MV Aureol, the bar sits in his farmhouse till this day.

I've attached some pictures of MV Aureol, a bit of digression here, and my apologies. Was just feeling a twinge of nostalgia.

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by member65: 9:54pm On Jun 23, 2010
@Siena. I'd always wondered about those cruise ships from Naija to London and vice versa. Used to have a late friend of my dad's who did a lot of his travel from Naija on cruise ships. I don't think they still do that today though or do they?
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by MissyB1(m): 10:21pm On Jun 23, 2010
Lmao!!!
How can someone register as ''____________'' ? Y'all will kill me, someday. grin grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 23, 2010
_________:

@Siena. I'd always wondered about those cruise ships from Naija to London and vice versa. Used to have a late friend of my dad's who did a lot of his travel from Naija on cruise ships. I don't think they still do that today though or do they?

@ _________: Cruise ships operate today as luxurious travel vessels. Back in the '60's till about the mid '80's, sea travel was the norm. I would imagine it would cost more than flying in present times - to put things into perspective, it took 2 weeks to get from Liverpool to Lagos, so you could just think how much it costs to keep passengers fed and watered for that period, and the wages the crew would command!
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by OmoAlata(f): 7:05am On Jun 24, 2010
My first time ABROAD was when my parents took me to Nigeria. I was around 8 years old. When I told my friends at school that I was going to Nigeria, they told me that people in Africa live in trees as there are no houses so I was shocked to see houses and cars
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by denzel2009: 9:08am On Jun 24, 2010
Can I add my friend's experience?

He came for holidays in the UK around Dec,all he had was a Jeans jacket that he bought in Mandilas Lagos Island. He got to Heathrow and was wondering why people complain about the cold, he was even contemplating removing the jacket and swaggerliciously walking around the terminal,.

He couldnt work out how the tube works so he went towards the entrance to get a taxi, he said as he approached the main entrance, he kept wondering how these Oyinbo people would switch on the air conditioner at full blast like this. He got the got the cold of his life before hopping on the taxi.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 10:14am On Jul 10, 2010
ANY PERSON IN ASIAN PENINSULA? LET'S HEAR FROM YOU.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by erico2k2(m): 4:07pm On Jul 11, 2010
9ja no fit carry last, lol so nobody cross Sahara desert go abroad here eh? or hide for ship ok lol grin grin grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by chelseabmw(m): 1:08am On Jul 12, 2010
;d ;d ;d
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 3:15am On Jul 18, 2010
SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES THIS COULD HELP NEW TRAVELLERS.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 4:00am On Jul 24, 2010
:p cool
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by shilling(f): 7:01am On Jul 24, 2010
dominique:

Cotonou is now abroad grin
Don't make me laugh. . .
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Okijajuju1(m): 7:20am On Jul 24, 2010
My First time outside Naija was Ghana!! It wasnt bad but I was surprised at their level of organisation as compared to Naija.

My First time outside Africa was Paris, I landed in december right there in the middle of Winter. The cold nearly knocked me out when I stepped off the plane in Charles de Gaulle Airport. O!! I also remember marvelling at the difference between their airport and Kotoka intl (Accra) and Murtala Muhammed (Lagos). Shame catch me.

I remember my first time in London, I was kinda dissapointed. I swear. It ranks amongst the least in terms of beauty of all I've visited.

I remember my first time in Rome. WOW!! History preserved. I spent christmas there. Right outside my hotel on the first night i was there, a man either jumped off his window or was pushed, either way, I saw a dead man. I also saw the pope (Benedict) on christmans day at the Vatican. Omo that St. Peters square large no be small.

I remember Zurich. The train ride from Paris Ladefense train station was amazing. Zurich was a small city, not much going on there.

I remember St. Magrathen (I hope I spelt it right), Austria. Too bad I couldnt really tour it cos I went there to buy lace, but I learnt that Austria was where the "Sound of music" movie was shot.

I remember New York, Kai!! What Can I say, Central Park, Harlem, Brooklyn Bridge, Madison Square, omo its all real. Everything wey you dey see for CNN and film, na so e dey. Although I must say it was the dirtiest western country I've ever Visited.

I remember Canada like it was yesterday. O!! Wait, it is actually like yesterday. I'll tell you more whenn I fully experience the place. But s far, its looking good. O!! one thing about here, this country big pass continent. Can you imagine flying for about 6hours within a country?!!  shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Retains 95,000 Quota For Nigeria Pilgrims / 7 Most Dangerous Roads In The World / Nigerian E Passport Microchips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.