Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,443 members, 7,836,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

FIRST TIME ABROAD - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FIRST TIME ABROAD (7724 Views)

Nigerians That Overstays Their Limited Time Abroad / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) / Share Ur Experience Ur First Time Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by MADAFA: 11:26am On Jul 27, 2010
dominique:

Cotonou is now abroad grin

Before nko? Is it not in another country and you will cross border for that matter.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by erico2k2(m): 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2010
lol, So U no kno say nah abroad? you no need plane to go abroad all the time, U can walk there, ride bike ie from Uk to Francee lol
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by ciscostaz: 12:38pm On Jul 28, 2010
@All

First time abroad, London.

Was in my buba and soro when the weather suddenly changed. The cold was so much that i tot i was going to die.

I wasn't impressed seeing some white guys crossing to the other side of the road as if I was a leper. SOme white guys will not also want to sit beside you self but strange sha, some were very nice.

I think i prefer my country jare.

1 Like

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by pslm23(f): 1:18pm On Jul 28, 2010
First time abroad, Switzerland (destination was the Swizz Alps)! I took a vacation there in the middle of summer (June-July) and i went along with my co-worker from the Swiss Embassy in Abuja. If she hadn't been there with me, I for suffer becos of the language barrier. They speak German, French and some other gibberish that I couldn't understand.

Anyhoo, that country is beautiful with a capital B! If i had a choice and then hit the lottery big time, I will take up final residence in Switzerland. We went to an outdoor cafe that overlooked some mountains and I must confess that I started trying to act all "oyibo" grin ordering an espresso coffee and some funny sounding food from the menu and then sitting there eating it and pretending that I was enjoying it but cussing myself out for being a damn fool. The coffee was so thick and strong that i was pratically bouncing off walls for the rest of the day all hyper and high on caffeine. Then we went hiking, me that I've never hiked in my life, this lady took me up some hill that looked like a freaking mountain and inside my mind, i was just praying to God to bring me back safely and with no broken bones. The view from up that hill/mountain was breath-taking. If you are a lover of nature, the Swiss Alps is where you should visit. Best time to go there is between May, June and July
Bottomline, Switzerland is a beautiful place to vacation in. God must have washed his hands real good when he created that country

1 Like

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 1:52am On Aug 05, 2010
pslm23:

Bottomline, Switzerland is a beautiful place to vacation in. God must have washed his hands real good when he created that country

IT'S OUR AFRICAN ESPECIALLY NIGERIAN SWEAT MONEY IN ACTION.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by canuck(m): 11:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
pslm23:

Switzerland is a beautiful place to vacation in. God must have washed his hands real good when he created that country

And which country did God create with dirty hands? grin   grin   grin

Okija_juju:

My First time outside Naija was Ghana!! . . .

My First time outside Africa was Paris. . .

I remember my first time in London. . .

I remember my first time in Rome. . .

I remember Zurich. . .

I remember St. Magrathen (I hope I spelt it right), Austria. . .

I remember New York. . .

I remember Canada like it was yesterday. . .

Nna, nice write-up!  cool

Siena:

My first time abroad was when myself, my sister and our parents came to Nigeria to settle. . .

Wow, good stuff, remembering the name of the vessel, cabin # and other details - My experience at 6 years old is one giant blur! If you're not a recognized genius in your field, something is definitely amiss!  cheesy
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 05, 2010
my first time abroad was to nigeria in december 2000!!! i was just 7 years old then!! i was so excited about going into the plane and eating areoplane food lol. there was bad times as my ears kept on popping during the filght which was quite annoying. anyways i soon as i landed in lagos i crowded by people as there was a greeting party for us which was nice!!! anyways i got to see many things in nigeria i have never seen b4 like pure water, abacha, mr biggs, seeing people using motorbikes as transport in nigeria.
when i went to my fathers village in anambra it was very sandy and hot and seem to be very dark as the NEPA was it was called then took the light!! so we had to use laterns for our vision around. during the christams period i had met people i had never seen before and seeing chicken being killed for the first time(was not a nice thing to see). and seeing masquerades dancing and chasing after people with their canes.
another that i enjoyed was the movies production as i was watching movies almost everyday as they were exciting to watch.
when january came it was time to go back to england and see the rest of my family. after that time i have been to nigeria 3 times and also schooled in nigeria for two years too as that was quite a experience too. im going with my family to nigeria in december 2010 for christmas so that would be a lot of fun.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 06, 2010
Boston, Mass. It was cold, rainy and at night. All i remember thinking was that this was one HUGE country that at least had light!
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Ijeleigbo(m): 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2010
adaobi123:

my first time abroad was to nigeria in december 2000!!! i was just 7 years old then!! i was so excited about going into the plane and eating areoplane food lol. there was bad times as my ears kept on popping during the filght which was quite annoying. anyways i soon as i landed in lagos i crowded by people as there was a greeting party for us which was nice!!! anyways i got to see many things in nigeria i have never seen b4 like pure water, abacha, mr biggs, seeing people using motorbikes as transport in nigeria.
when i went to my fathers village in anambra it was very sandy and hot and seem to be very dark as the NEPA was it was called then took the light!! so we had to use laterns for our vision around. during the christams period i had met people i had never seen before and seeing chicken being killed for the first time(was not a nice thing to see). and seeing masquerades dancing and chasing after people with their canes.
another that i enjoyed was the movies production as i was watching movies almost everyday as they were exciting to watch.
when january came it was time to go back to england and see the rest of my family. after that time i have been to nigeria 3 times and also schooled in nigeria for two years too as that was quite a experience too. im going with my family to nigeria in december 2010 for christmas so that would be a lot of fun.
Hey Ada, i'm actually frm Anambra and live there. I'd love 2 be ur friend and meet u this December. You can send me ur mail ad at ijeleigbo@gmail.com hope 2 hear frm u soon.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by sexylogan(m): 5:40pm On Aug 07, 2010
wink
my first experience abroad was when i travelled to india last year. i wont include my actual first which was to london

wen i was just 1 andhalf years old becuz i cant remember a thing.so i was in india last year, ie. in bangalore which

is the 4th largest city in india with a population of about 8 million or so.

we went to india via dubai aboard fly emirates. u no naija people nah, always

goin to shop in dubai so the plane was filled with nigerians. the air hostesses wer

sweet and all breath-takingly beautiful.the flight from dubai however, wasnt the same becuz my dad and i and one

other man wer the only AFRICANS on the flight. imagine a commercial boeing 747 jet filled to capacity and everyone
around u is indian!
mennnn it was scary but it was even worse in india.

people wud just keep staring at us as if we wer the first
blacks they had ever seen.

there's a bit of poverty in india but the standard of living is way, way above nigeria's own.

it took me some days to get used to it. the cars are new, light is constant,

and they obey traffic laws, maintain law and order. bangalore is like yankee but
instead of whites, u hav indians.

the food was sumthin else sha, but thanx to dominoes pizza and burger king! grin grin grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by sexylogan(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2010
pslm23:

I must confess that I started trying to act all "oyibo" grin ordering an espresso coffee and some funny sounding food from the menu and then sitting there eating it and pretending that I was enjoying it but cussing myself out for being a damn fool. The coffee was so thick and strong that i was pratically bouncing off walls for the rest of the day

grin grin grin grin grin
LMAO!!!!
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by honeric01(m): 6:04pm On Aug 07, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin, what about those that trekked to Togo? are we allowed?
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Ikedonn(m): 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2010
My first time abroad, Cambodia my first destination and then Thailand my last destination
I Flew from Nigeria and make a trasit stop in bangkok airport,Thailand.When i got to Bangkok airport my onward ticket to cambodia has expired.I was confused,then i called my friend in Bangkok and told him that am stranded in the airport,he told me to go and reconfirm my ticket at the counter.I was scared being that am just new in abroad,everybody was minding his or her business in the airport.I got charmed by the beauty of the white people i saw in the airport.That night i arrrived in Bangkok airport,a lady that works in the airport she was in uniform told me that i should not move around in the airport or the immigration will get me deported if am caught,i was scared.She asked me to join some people sitting down waiting to catch their flights the next morning ,that by the subsequent day i will go to the counter to get information concerning my onward ticket to cambodia.So that night,i saw a black guys and a black woman sitting near me,i was so happy that atleast i can talk to a fellow black people like me.The black guy told me he goes to singapore to buy cars and ship to Nigeria.By then ,another black guy joined us and i noticed that they know themselves the way they talked that night,so i felt more relax in the airport.Then the following day ,i moved immediately to reconfirm my ticket.The thai lady at the counter was so nice to me and with help of other foreigners that speaks, i was able to get my onward ticket .They were all asking me "where are you going "?i told them am going to phnom penh that's cambodia capital.I was happy to locate the entrace gate to my flight,there i met a cambodia man,we sat together in the flight,he was happy because am going to his coountry.We chatted,and finally we landed at phnon pehn airport,Cambodia.Cambodia immigration police rushed me to issue me visa and take my photo.Some of the immigration officers were calling ,come let me help,come let me help you,i was confused .I don't know whom to give my passport to,finally i went into one of their offices.The officer told me that,their visa is 40 Us$ and then i will pay them for their services,including the photo fee.Would you believe that Cambodia immigration takes bribe that Naija Police?they are so corrupt to the core,they even told me if i don't pay them their bribe money that they will deport me back to Naija.To cut the story short,i was later allowed to enter cambodia.I saw cambodians ,they were very poor people,infact poor country than Naija.

I lodge in a hotel about 10 us$ per night,then after some days ,i checked out and move straight to Cambodia/ thailand border. i was stamped in to Thailand,there after i took a taxi and called my friend to talk to the cabman and he spoke to him in Thai language ,that was my first day to see a taxi with a meter.The cabman man knew that my destination is very near from where he picked me up,he decided to take round all the toll ways in Bangkok,that's capital of Thailand.My friend was expecting me to arrive his place atleast in a 30 minutes time,but we got to his place about nearly 1 hour.He was very angry with the taxi man,because he knew that the cabman is a crook.He drove around all the bangkok toll ways ,because am new in Thailand and i can't speak Thai language and because he wants to double charge me.Thank God ,i got to my destination finally.Agan,there were lots of moulding images everywhere and almost in all the house ,because Thai people are buddhist.I decided i would touch any of Thai foods,because their foods are like idolatery foods,but i reconsidered my thoughts later,why because "man must eat"i pray and cover the food with the blood of Jesus Christ before eating.
I

1 Like

Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 09, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol thats way funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Ijeleigbo(m): 12:32am On Aug 10, 2010
Ada, i sent u a mail. Expectin ur reply.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Travelista(f): 12:45am On Aug 10, 2010
Don't remember my first time abroad; I was too young. I do remember a trip we took when I was about 3 or so: we took British Caledonian (gosh, I'm old) and I forgot my sweater on the plane. I remember making a huge fuss about not having it and as we were walking back to the gate to see if we could retrieve it, a stewardess came up to us and handed over my cardigan! Man, air travel as a kid used to be fun: they'd give you little knapsacks full of activity books, colored pencils, a pair of wings for your shirt, you could meet the captain in the cockpit. . .now, you're held captive while the buffalo beside you invades your personal space and breathes through her mouth. angry
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by cecegorz(m): 12:23pm On Aug 10, 2010
pslm23:

I must confess that I started trying to act all "oyibo" grin ordering an espresso coffee and some funny sounding food from the menu and then sitting there eating it and pretending that I was enjoying it but cussing myself out for being a damn fool. The coffee was so thick and strong that i was pratically bouncing off walls for the rest of the day all hyper and high on caffeine.

This is sooooooooooo hilarious, i just had a good laugh.
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by pslm23(f): 12:34pm On Aug 10, 2010
Travelista:

. . .now, you're held captive while the buffalo beside you invades your personal space and breathes through her mouth. angry

Haba! who is this buffalo? grin don't u just hate it when you have to sit next to heavy person who snores? I was unfortunate enough to sit next to someone who kept farting embarassed nasty SOB!! on a BA flight from Philly to London and he stunk to high heavens too and he was an oyibo for that matter!! shocked
I didn't have to suffer through all his "mess". the stewardess must have heard one of the thunderous explosions coming from that guy's trailer load butt, she came and asked me if i wld like to be moved and i didn't even wait for her to put a full stop in her question, I jumped up picked my stuff up and left. We had a good laugh about it on our way to my comfortable seat in buisness. wink
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by pslm23(f): 12:34pm On Aug 10, 2010
Travelista:

. . .now, you're held captive while the buffalo beside you invades your personal space and breathes through her mouth. angry
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AGARIautos: 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2010
NIGERIANS ALL OVER THE PLANET BUT HASN'T ANYONE GONE TO THE SUN YET?
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by DisGuy: 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2011
bump!!

Share you new experience!!
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by Gbenge77(m): 9:38pm On Aug 21, 2011
I was flying to Baltimore enroute Atlanta.I was wowed by Atlanta Airport.That airport too big mehn!
Re: FIRST TIME ABROAD by AlphaStyles(m): 8:16pm On Mar 05, 2017
AGARIautos:
WE GOT LOST FOR THREE DAYS IN NORWAY FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE AND COMPREHEND THEIR MAPS. FOODS WAS ANOTHER PROBLEM AS WE ATE ONLY SANDWICH BUT IF YOU BUY SOUP FROM THE FAST FOOD YOU GET FREE WHITE RICE, SO THAT BECAME OUR NORMAL ROUTINE. THE WINTER WAS ANOTHER THING WITH TEMPERATURE BELOW 5 DAILY, YOU WILL EXPECT NORWEGIANS TO BE MAKING BABIES BUT THEY DON'T, SUNRISE IS 12PM AND SETS BY 1PM. WE CLOSE FROM WORK BY 4PM, WHICH IS ALREADY DARK OUTSIDE HEADING STRAIGHT FOR OUR SOUP AND FREE RICE JOINT.
lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria At Mauritius / Lagos Plans 50 More Electric Buses, 2,000 BRT Buses / Video: Evil Nigerian Men and Wife Busted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.