Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma (4088 Views)

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY / The Atheist's Prayer / Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by superhumanist(m): 3:36am On Apr 14, 2018
winner01:
Thanks for the same, repeated bed time story.

Those who have helped humanity in the area of knowledge have been mostly religious.

I'm a scientist too, and I'm firmly spiritual

Atheism is an age old worldview, its had all the time to grow. Hopelessness and emptyness doesn't sell well with humanity.

If you think my God is not different from Brahma, you do well. You'll notice I don't argue the existence of God with anyone here, I simply give my points on carefully selected subjects.

Your sentence in bold is meaningless. Everyone has helped humanity in the area of knowledge both religious and non-religious.

And please, stop saying that atheism is hopeless and empty. One can easily point to your christianity and say that it is hopeless as any single person has 90% chance of ending up in hell according to your doctrine.
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by winner01(m): 5:17pm On May 04, 2018
superhumanist:

Your sentence in bold is meaningless. Everyone has helped humanity in the area of knowledge both religious and non-religious.

And please, stop saying that atheism is hopeless and empty. One can easily point to your christianity and say that it is hopeless as any single person has 90% chance of ending up in hell according to your doctrine.
Lol. So now its everyone? But when its violence, its only religious people?

Lol.
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by winner01(m): 12:08pm On May 06, 2018
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by winner01(m): 6:46pm On Jun 03, 2018
TayserMahiri:

You dont sound like a scientist at all. I cannot believe that one. What field. Care to tell us? You sound like a religious braggart who cant understand how on earth anyone cant understand him.
Why do you think I'll be willing to prove to you who I really am or what I do?

TayserMahiri:

About atheism not growing is because it is not a religion. You wont find an atheist 'preaching' to you because there is nothing to preach. An atheist will simply tell you you are deluded and stop wasting his/her time with shenanigans. Not preaching.
Well, atheism is getting much more cult like and in fact religious. Atheists swarm this section, a religion section, not to tell theists to stop wasting their time, but to push their ideology, mock and ridicule religious people and their beliefs. If that is not synonymous to preaching, I don't know what is.

TayserMahiri:

Atheism being the denial of deities means that your question on why it is unpopular is like asking why is the lack of love for football not popular. Otherwise if atheism was a religion with teachings and so forth it would be doing very well especially because there is no constant threats of eternal suffering in hell.
Lol, you are probably another one of the regular Nigerian atheist, blissfully ignorant too. You may need to look beyong Nigeria here. Tell me, why would you set up an atheist church, atheist organization, atheist concerts and shows, atheist rally amongst other atheistic activities?

Atheism has been around for centuries, there are obvious reasons why its remained unpopular.

TayserMahiri:

I can bet with you that in 5000 years from now the world will be very much atheist. Because ppl will be more informed, and perhaps with less problems, good technology, you can live 1000s of yrs and suddenly eternal life becomes useless, some travelling to other star systems etc
Voitaire also made the prediction in his time, he predicted that religious population would be suppressed in 100 years, yet 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society used his house as a printing press. Who knows, maybe one of your scientist kids will use your house for house fellowship. grin
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 03, 2018
winner01:
Why do you think I'll be willing to prove to you who I really am or what I do?

You dont need to prove. Just know you dont sound like one.

Well, atheism is getting much more cult like and in fact religious. Atheists swarm this section, a religion section, not to tell theists to stop wasting their time, but to push their ideology, mock and ridicule religious people and their beliefs. If that is not synonymous to preaching, I don't know what is.

Maybe part of telling theists to stop wasting time ends up sounding like pushing an ideology. Mostly, atheists just want you to understand their view of things, and most of the times you theists get really worked up and offended because what atheists tell you is so obviously true and undeniable but still unpalatable and incompatible with what you'd wish to be true.

Lol, you are probably another one of the regular Nigerian atheist, blissfully ignorant too. You may need to look beyong Nigeria here. Tell me, why would you set up an atheist church, atheist organization, atheist concerts and shows, atheist rally amongst other atheistic activities?

Atheism has been around for centuries, there are obvious reasons why its remained unpopular.

Im not even Nigerian. Atheists, like all human beings are free to gather anywhere (even if it involves building a church as you say) to share whatever they would want to share. In any case they are often threatened and maltreated by theists and need strong social support groups, support that theists would rather not offer.

Voitaire also made the prediction in his time, he predicted that religious population would be suppressed in 100 years, yet 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society used his house as a printing press. Who knows, maybe one of your scientist kids will use your house for house fellowship. grin

I didnt tell you religious ppl or religion will disappear. I said atheists will keep increasing in number so long as humanity advances and the understanding of nature keeps improving. Dont get me wrong, I dont even mind one of my kids becoming the Pope. I have nothing against that.
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by winner01(m): 9:48pm On Jun 03, 2018
TayserMahiri:

You dont need to prove. Just know you dont sound like one.

To you? Mr TayserMahiri grin okay grin

TayserMahiri:

Maybe part of telling theists to stop wasting time ends up sounding like pushing an ideology. Mostly, atheists just want you to understand their view of things, and most of the times you theists get really worked up and offended because what atheists tell you is so obviously true and undeniable but still unpalatable and incompatible with what you'd wish to be true.

wanna know how stupid this sounds? Me going to an atheist forum to tell them to believe in God. Actually it won't even be as stupid, I have a mandate, but you, you want me to not believe in God with you. Makes no sense.

What atheists tell me are mostly false. I really wish I knew what you talking about.

TayserMahiri:

Im not even Nigerian. Atheists, like all human beings are free to gather anywhere (even if it involves building a church as you say) to share whatever they would want to share. In any case they are often threatened and maltreated by theists and need strong social support groups, support that theists would rather not offer.

is this what you could come up with? undecided

TayserMahiri:

I didnt tell you religious ppl or religion will disappear. I said atheists will keep increasing in number so long as humanity advances and the understanding of nature keeps improving. Dont get me wrong, I dont even mind one of my kids becoming the Pope. I have nothing against that.

But research proves that atheism is in decline. undecided
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 04, 2018
winner01:
To you? Mr TayserMahiri grin okay grin

Yeah to me grin

wanna know how stupid this sounds? Me going to an atheist forum to tell them to believe in God. Actually it won't even be as stupid, I have a mandate, but you, you want me to not believe in God with you. Makes no sense.

What atheists tell me are mostly false. I really wish I knew what you talking about.

Atheists also have their own conscience-given mandate to help theists see reality and eliminate the very bad consequences of religion.
Please give an example of false that atheists tell.

is this what you could come up with? undecided

Yeah because what issue do you have with atheists building churches, organizations, concerts etc? It should be none of your business after all they respect your rallies.

But research proves that atheism is in decline. undecided

According to your source, "Although the number of atheists and agnostics continues to rise in the Western world, the current growth of a variety of religions in China in particular (where the vast majority of the non-religious live today) suggests continued future demographic growth of religion.”

Which means atheism is rising in the western world. What is happening is that the gains are being eroded by the rise of religion in the developing and smack poor parts of world. When those poor regions get to western levels of development one day in future, atheism will see global overall growth. Even in China, wait till they reach developed world standard, most of them will return back to atheism. grin
Re: Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma by winner01(m): 11:19pm On Jun 06, 2018
TayserMahiri:

Yeah to me grin

you try

TayserMahiri:

Atheists also have their own conscience-given mandate to help theists see reality and eliminate the very bad consequences of religion.
Please give an example of false that atheists tell.

Are you speaking for yourself or for all atheists?

Where is the evidence of this conscience-given mandate and how can we test it empirically?

If there are "bad consequences" of religion, does it mean there are good consequences of religion?

TayserMahiri:

Yeah because what issue do you have with atheists building churches, organizations, concerts etc? It should be none of your business after all they respect your rallies.

Fine, so its safe to say atheism is religious or has ritualistic tendencies?

TayserMahiri:

According to your source, "Although the number of atheists and agnostics continues to rise in the Western world, the current growth of a variety of religions in China in particular (where the vast majority of the non-religious live today) suggests continued future demographic growth of religion.”

Which means atheism is rising in the western world. What is happening is that the gains are being eroded by the rise of religion in the developing and smack poor parts of world. When those poor regions get to western levels of development one day in future, atheism will see global overall growth. Even in China, wait till they reach developed world standard, most of them will return back to atheism. grin
Lol, I know you didn't bother to read the article, but here's the highlight:

Atheism is in decline worldwide, with the number of atheists falling from 4.5% of the world’s population in 1970 to 2.0% in 2010 and projected to drop to 1.8% by 2020, according to a new report.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Think Scientist Can Justify The Inventions Of Weapons That Can Kill And / What Do You Love About Sunday? / The New Birth And The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit - When One Becomes A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.