Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,031 members, 7,953,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:39 AM

Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School (37803 Views)

Meet Dehlia Umunna, Harvard Law School’s First Nigerian Professor(photos) / Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School / The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by thunderbabs: 4:25pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT

She is first and foremost a NIGERIAN.

What is it with this tribalistic-disease our politicians have given us?!

It's so irritating reading ALL the comments all around me.

I AM A NIGERIAN!
SHE IS A NIGERIAN!!
WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!

Igbos no go gree ooo. They re biafrans first, managing Nigeria
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by omooba969(m): 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2018
Yunjeezy:
NA we we
Five fingers in the air for my tribe, making us proud since day one.
IGBO AMAKA
IGBO NWERE MMADU
IGBOTIC

Abeg translate IGBO NWERE MMADU ? grin
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
HungerBAD:

What is the meaning of Igbo Amaka sef?

Ezii (grin)
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Yunjeezy(m): 4:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
omooba969:

Abeg translate IGBO NWERE MMADU ? grin

How much u go pay
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by kelvinesq(m): 4:53pm On Mar 29, 2018
grin grin grin grin
positivelord:

So its Nigerian Prof now...if its drug related crime will say that
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Sinof(m): 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2018
Great Woman! Reminds Me Of Annalise Keating From 'How To Get Away With Murder.' Proudly 9ja

1 Like

Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by LZAA: 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2018
imhotep:
Sai babarians are busy supporting herdsmen upandan.
Lzaa onyeoga

Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Nobody: 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT

I AM A NIGERIAN!
SHE IS A NIGERIAN!!
WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!
She's now a Nigerian? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by degamemaster(m): 5:06pm On Mar 29, 2018
HungerBAD:

True that.
Now, repeat after me; IGBO AMAKA!
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Newmanluckyman(m): 5:07pm On Mar 29, 2018
...a great development. Igbo people :great tribe, great spirit, great people.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by omooba969(m): 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
Yunjeezy:

How much u go pay

Chaigrin Igbo & business...gringringrin

Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Yunjeezy(m): 5:23pm On Mar 29, 2018
omooba969:

Chaigrin Igbo & business...gringringrin
Lolz Actually, NWERE=have MMADU=person,human being But literally, it means (source of encouragement,virtue)
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Edge1(m): 5:40pm On Mar 29, 2018
seguno2:

The only sensible comment so far.
Blacks excited over something that they have contributed little or nothing to.
Is Harvard university in SE or even in Nigeria
Does this news make SE governors like Okorocha to clear the arrears of salaries and pensions owed for several months and years?
When shall we be wise?

Shut up there, have I ever seen you drop this comment when the useless regarded tibalists (afonjas to be precise) say all sorts of rubbish to the Igbos?

Nonsense.

I repeat, Nonsense
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by omooba969(m): 5:40pm On Mar 29, 2018
Yunjeezy:

Lolz
Actually, NWERE=have
MMADU=person,human being
But literally, it means (source of encouragement,virtue)

So more like "Igbo get people"? smiley
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Dwin046(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
she is an igbo and am igbo. .it could have been more happier if shit hole like Nigeria is one
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by AFONJAPIG(m): 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2018
one Ediot from west will come and tell me Igbo's are not the brightest Star in Africa
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by judgedredd22(m): 6:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
sunky97:
Dehlia Umunna was appointed Clinical Professor of Law at Harvard Law School (HLS), thus becoming the first Nigerian to achieve the feat.

Umunna-DehliaDehlia Umunna is a 43-year-old Nigerian woman, who knows her onions and is well seasoned in her chosen legal profession as she is one of Harvard Law School’s best.

She is a member of the Massachusetts, Maryland, District of Columbia and New Jersey bar associations. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from California State University, San Bernardino, and earned her law degree from the George Washington University Law School. She also holds a Masters in Public Administration (MC) from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. She has two kids – Ifeanyi and Edozie.
http://tellmystory.com.ng/meet-dehlia-umunna-the-first-nigerian-professor-of-law-at-harvard-law-school/

nice!

our very own Annalise Keaton

she will soon be teaching theM How to Get Away with Murder - Naija Style : Season 1. grin grin grin grin
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Masterclass32: 6:30pm On Mar 29, 2018
JhyMedex:
Exactly.
Meanwhile, Congrats to the young lady. Great one.
Igbo bu dachii.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by mybestlove(m): 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT

I AM A NIGERIAN!
SHE IS A NIGERIAN!!
WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!
Point of correction.

She is Igbo, a 5%ter

Light and darkness have nothing in common.

Don't make that mistake again. No country is called Nigeria except a British warehouse under Fulani control.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by GenbIoodykiller: 7:05pm On Mar 29, 2018
HungerBAD:
Igbo women making us proud.

Proudly Igbo.

Igbo Amaka.
you're igbo?

nwoke m mechie onu there
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by fk002: 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2018
HungerBAD:

Proudly Igbo.

Igbo Amaka.

Are you turned? I know you are not a bigot but what happened??

1 Like

Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Dareal90s(m): 7:07pm On Mar 29, 2018
ottohan:
While my yoloba neighbours are busy celebrating a dullard in Lagos.. angry
Why is it that Igbo's can't pronounce "R" nd "L" properly?
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2018
HungerBAD:
Proudly Igbo.
Igbo Amaka.
She's deltan not Igbo
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Gassa007: 8:40pm On Mar 29, 2018
sunky97:
Dehlia Umunna was appointed Clinical Professor of Law at Harvard Law School (HLS), thus becoming the first Nigerian to achieve the feat.

Umunna-DehliaDehlia Umunna is a 43-year-old Nigerian woman, who knows her onions and is well seasoned in her chosen legal profession as she is one of Harvard Law School’s best.

Details of her exploits are celebrated in Harvard Law School’s official website, www.law.harvard.edu.

According to the website, she has been a lecturer at Harvard Law School (HLS) since 2007. She is also the Deputy Director and Clinical Instructor Criminal Justice Institute (CJI) of HLS, where she supervises third-year law students in their representation of adult and juvenile clients in criminal and juvenile proceedings and arguments before Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and Appeals court.

Umunna is renowned for providing classroom instruction on legal skills and the application of criminal law, procedure, rules of evidence, motions and trial practice, and constitutional protections to the development of defensce strategy. She also coaches HLS teams at the National Criminal Justice Trial Advocacy and the HLS BLSA Trial team. Both teams have won numerous national and regional awards.

Her colleague, the dean of Harvard Law School, Martha Minow has this to say; “Dehlia’s students revere her; her colleagues at HLS and nationally look to her as an exemplary advocate, teacher, and mentor. From her unprecedented win record in criminal defense trials, her deft leadership of the Criminal Justice Institute day-to-day, and her superb coaching of student moot court teams, her published scholarship, to her numerous awards in recognition of her outstanding work as a criminal defence attorney, advisor, and teacher, Dehlia is simply extraordinary, an inspiration to her students and her clients in every way. It is a true privilege to be her colleague.”

Prior to her joining Harvard Law School, Umunna spent seven years as a trial attorney with the D.C. Public Defender Service and an adjunct professor of law and Practitioner in Residence at the Washington College of Law, American University. She was also a board member of the District of Columbia Law Students in Court Clinic and was a guest lecturer for several years at the George Washington University Law School.

At Public Defender Service, she represented indigent clients in hundreds of cases that ranged in seriousness from misdemeanor charges of theft, assault, and drug possession, to felony charges of narcotics distribution; firearms possession; armed robbery; kidnapping; child sexual abuse; rape and homicide. Some of her cases received nationwide media attention. She was a felony one trial attorney, representing clients in the most serious of felonies and serving as lead counsel in many trials at Public Defender Service. She also served as a presenter in training attorneys under the Criminal Justice Act and supervised junior attorneys in trial.

From 2002 to 2007, while she was adjunct professor of law at American University, Washington College of Law, she created and taught a seminar entitled “The Lawyer’s Role in the Judicial Practice.” While at Washington College, she was also a supervising attorney and practitioner-in-residence in the Civil Practice Clinic.

She supervised second and third year students in a general civil practice clinic representing low income clients in state and federal courts and administrative agencies in the District of Columbia and Maryland. She also taught a clinical seminar on lawyering values, including interviewing, case theory, fact investigation, strategic planning, counselling, negotiation and trial skills.

She is the author of the article, “Rethinking the Neighbourhood Watch: How Lessons from the Nigerian Village Can Creatively Empower the Community to Assist Poor, Single Mothers in America,” published in the American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy and the Law.

Revealing how privileged she feels to be a part of Harvard Law School and attain the feat of Clinical Professor of Law, she said, “I am blessed and honored to join Harvard Law School’s remarkable faculty. I relish this extraordinary opportunity to continue work that I am truly passionate about, and I am grateful for the deep interest and commitment of the school to issues of criminal justice, mass incarceration, indigent defense and social justice.”

Umunna currently serves as a faculty member for the Southern Public Defender’s Training Center (SPDTC) and she is a faculty member for Gideon’s Promise, she is a frequent presenter at Public Defender trainings across the country and is the recipient of SPDTC’s 2011 “Outstanding Faculty Mentor of the year Award.”

She is a member of the Massachusetts, Maryland, District of Columbia and New Jersey bar associations. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from California State University, San Bernardino, and earned her law degree from the George Washington University Law School. She also holds a Masters in Public Administration (MC) from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. She has two kids – Ifeanyi and Edozie.
http://tellmystory.com.ng/meet-dehlia-umunna-the-first-nigerian-professor-of-law-at-harvard-law-school/
Where is that Throwback guy
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Burgerlomo: 9:03pm On Mar 29, 2018
Good job cool
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by noona(f): 9:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
I'm impressed and happy...I always love it when I see Nigerians doing big things away from home..the tribe doesn't matter to me so as long as you are doing great things..
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by linusbnn(m): 9:20pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT

I AM A NIGERIAN!
SHE IS A NIGERIAN!!
WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!

You and who?.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by CioAngels(f): 9:34pm On Mar 29, 2018
Evablizin:
Wow.

cheesy

Igbo kwenu,Igbo Amaka.
She is proudly Nigeria not Igbo.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by kernel505: 9:37pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT
I AM A NIGERIAN! SHE IS A NIGERIAN!! WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!

Igbo woman!
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by knowledgeable: 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2018
post=66258454:
#RESPECT

I AM A NIGERIAN!
SHE IS A NIGERIAN!!
WE ARE ALL NIGERIANS!!!

Not until it comes to what tribe/region/religion of who becomes the president
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by iguita: 11:58pm On Mar 29, 2018
If she is first, what of Ruth Okediji? http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/11409/Okediji Let us pass correct information. Respect though. Getting admission into Harvard is hard. Working there must be harder.
Re: Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School by Antichristus: 1:15am On Mar 30, 2018
Really proud of this Nigerian woman. Let's celebrate her without tribalising her achievement.

OP, please get your facts straight. Dehlia Umunna isn't the first to achieve this feat. As a matter of fact, Professor Ruth Okediji (http://hls.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/11409/Okediji) has been an old chip on the Harvard block longer. Yorubas don't make noise abut their achievement. As the old adage goes, "bi isu eni ba j'ina, n se ni a f'owo boo je ni."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unpaid Polytechnic Lecturer Becomes A Bus Conductor In PH, Rivers State (Video) / IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU / Teacher Uses Extraordinary Chalkboard Drawing Skills To Teach Students Anatomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.