Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Holy Thursday: The Three-fold Significance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Thursday: The Three-fold Significance (340 Views)

The Holy Thursday / The Three Fold Of Life / A Three Fold Cord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Holy Thursday: The Three-fold Significance by Eze4tonyTc(m): 7:28pm On Mar 29, 2018
By Ksam
Holy/Maundy Thursday is one of the greatest days in the life of Christ and the life of the Church. The word “maundy” is a shortened form of the Latin word “ mandatum” which means mandate or command. This tells us the importance of Christ’s mandate as we will see in the write-up.
The three-fold significance of this day are: the Blessing of the Oils, the commemoration of the Institution of the Sacred Priesthood and the Institution of the Holy Eucharist.
The morning mass of the day is the mass of the Chrism (Chrism Mass) which is celebrated by a Bishop. During the mass, the Sacred Oils will be blessed and all the Priests present will renew their priestly vows and obedience to their Bishop. The evening mass is the Holy/Maundy Thursday mass. Here, we are being reminded of the Priesthood as instituted by Christ; in other words, as a call to service (as Christ washed the feet of his disciples) and as having the duty of administering the various sacraments (Christ broke the bread and told his disciples to do the same in remembrance of him), and we are reminded of the Eucharist as instituted by Christ, which is his true presence.
Blessing of the Oils
During the Chrism mass, the bishop blesses three oils; viz, the oil of Catechumens ( oleum catechumenorum ), the oil of the sick/infirm ( oleum infirmorum ) and holy chrism ( sacrum charisma ). These oils have their specific and well-defined purpose.
The Oil of Catechumens is used to anoint catechumens immediately before the sacrament of baptism. The oil of the sick/infirm is used to confer the sacrament of anointing of the sick. The oil of chrism is administered in sacraments that inprint indelible mark on the catechumen’s soul, such as baptism, confirmation and holy orders. It is also used in the dedication of a church.
Gift of the Sacred Priesthood
On the night before his passion and death on the cross, Jesus instituted and called his disciples to join in the ministry of service through the sacred priesthood. He also, directly and indirectly, mandated them to administer the sacraments to the people who believe.
Baptism: Christ said “ Unless a man is born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God ” (C.f Jn 3:5). Knowing fully well of the consequences, what did he do? He gave a command to his disciples, “ Go therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost ” (C.f Matt 28:19).
Confirmation: Christ promises to send the Holy Spirit to us: “ it is better for you that i go away, because if i do not go, the Helper will not come to you. But if i do go away, then i will send him to you.” (C.f Jn 16:7), “ and when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will be filled with power, and you will be
witnesses for me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth ” (C.f Acts 1:cool.
Holy Eucharist : Christ instituted the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist while on table with his disciples when he took the bread and said “ this is my body, which is given for you“, and also the wine, “ this cup is God’s new covenant sealed with my blood, which is poured out for you “. At the end of each, he gives his disciples a command “ do this in memory of me ” (C.f Lk 22:19-20).
Penance : Christ knew the importance of the confession of sins in the life of Christians that was why he instituted this sacrament when he breathed on his disciples and said to them, “ Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive people’s sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven. ” Hence, this sacrament involves three steps: the penitent’s contrition (otherwise called, the penitent sorrow for sins), the actual confession to a priest who acts in the person of Christ and who absolves you of your sins, and then he gives you penance or restitution for your sins.
Anointing of the Sick : When Jesus sent out the twelve disciples for the work of evangelization, he equipped them with the necessary tools and they did what he taught them, “ so they went out and preached that people should turn away from their sins. They drove out many demons, and rubbed olive oil on many sick people and healed them. ” (C.f Mk 6:12-13).
Holy Orders: Jesus commissioned his disciples to celebrate the sacraments in memory of him, “ do this in memory of me ” (C.f Lk 22:19-20), and he also called them to be his witnesses, “ and you will be
witnesses for me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth ” (C.f Acts 1:cool.
Matrimony: This sacrament is actually administered by the couples to be wedded. The priest only acts as a representative and a witness of the Church. One who is there to make sure that God’s word in Genesis 2:24 is upheld, “ that is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united with his wife, and they become one” .
Institution of the Holy Eucharist
This same day, we remember Jesus’ act of love and charity as he offers us his body and his blood to eat and drink. Remember, after feeding the 5,000 Jesus told the people who came to look for him to perform more miracle so that their stomach will sing praises to him, “ I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. ” He then goes further to say, “ Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. ” (c.f Jn 6: 25-59)
This word is being fulfilled in today’s celebration, as we commemorate Christ’s institution of the Holy Eucharist on the eve before he was crucified. While on table with his disciples he took the bread and said “ this is my body, which is given for you “, and also the wine, “ this cup is God’s new covenant sealed with my blood, which is poured out for you“. At the end of each, he gives his disciples a command “ do this in memory of me ” (C.f Lk 22:19-20). And today, we are doing it in his memory.
After the celebration, we will follow him to the garden and keep watch by way of our adoration. Are we going to sleep off spiritually and physically or are we going to stay awake with our Lord.
Source: ksinfo.com.ng/2018/03/29/holy-thursday-the-three-fold-significance/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kisses In Pre Marital Relationships. / Developing & Modernising Our Society Cannot Be Left To The Govert. Alone: Kumuyi / The Spiritual Controls The Physical (3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.