Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts (7168 Views)

How To Check If Your Seat Belts Are Properly Working / The Origin Of The 3 Point Seat Belts / Understanding All The Drive Belts In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by AutoJoshNG: 1:16am On Mar 31, 2018
Are you curious as to who invented the seat belt used in all today's vehicles? The Swedish car manufacturer Volvo had begun seeking enhancements to seat belts since mid-twentieth century. At the beginning, the company experimented with a single strap over the belly but sadly, abdominal injuries were still unavoidable in high-speed collisions. More than that, Volvo's engineers also tried a diagonal chest restraint yet, it beheaded crash-test dummies.

Afterwards, the Swedish marque turned to Nils Bohlin – a 38-year-old engineer who had developed Saab aircraft company’s pilot ejector seats. Since passengers in cars want both safety and comfort, transferring aerospace tech to automobile would be a demanding task, according to Bohlin.

However, after a year of experimentation and research, he achieved a significant breakthrough - the most effective safety device ever – "the 3-Point Seat Belt" which includes one strap across the hips and another across the chest, each tied up at the same point. This kind of seat belt was so straightforward that driver and occupants were able to fasten with one hand. Volvo then made the new seat belt design patent open in the interest of safety and made it available to other car manufacturers for free.

About 60 years on after its invention in 1959, we cannot count exactly how many lives Nils' 3-Point Seat Belts have saved but we are certain it runs into millions of lives. 

Have you ever been saved by the 3-point seat belt of your car? Tell us in the comment section. 

https://autojosh.com/the-origin-of-3-point-seat-belts/

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by sirusX(m): 1:23am On Mar 31, 2018
Nice to know the history of it all

I always wondered why race car drivers use different though

7 Likes

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by OneCorner: 3:15am On Mar 31, 2018
weh done!!!
all diz car makers just enter our trap.
they are purposely using diz 3point seat belt cuz they know we igbos hate anything "3"
we wee boycott all of dem and make dem prostrate b4 us cool
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by tkonmoney: 7:01am On Mar 31, 2018
Ookkk......what's on
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Samsimple(m): 7:02am On Mar 31, 2018
ajepkako like me e don way I use seat belt since wen my papa Mercedes Benz don spoil for 2005... na God be my seat belt anytime I enter molue for Lagos abi danfo...

even all the intercity or interstate buses for nija sef their belt no dey work only if u get ur own car...

God has really been helping me, one day while travelling we had a head on collision with a truck I no know how e happen I see my sef outside d bus unscratched grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by bigcil2(m): 7:09am On Mar 31, 2018
jenesee:
educative
Bros you’re a criminal and you’re not hiding it
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Pabloosas(m): 7:10am On Mar 31, 2018
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Madukaele(m): 7:11am On Mar 31, 2018
the technology is high tech, never knew Volvo invented this, I do hate seat belts but I love my like more than the hate. lol
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by mctfopt: 7:15am On Mar 31, 2018
I'd always implore people to use their seatbelts. Do not wait until you sight the men of the Federal Road Safety unit before scrambling to put on one. My cousins are still alive today because of the common sense to put on one. There was a crash which made the vehicle flip a couple of times. Had it not being for the seatbelts, they could have been either seriously injured or dead. They only suffered minor scratches which did not need any treatment other than an X-ray with revealed no broken bones and some painkillers.

Another instance, a fellow I know was driving someone to the nearby park. He drove without the seat belt after all; people think seatbelts are for long or interstate journeys. Barely 100m from their home, a crazy truck driver slammed into the SUV; it was a head-on collision. He smashed his chest into the steering wheel and is still in a coma as I type. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Always put one on, even if the distance is 20m. It does not kill if you put one on, but it may kill you if you don't.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Alejob: 7:18am On Mar 31, 2018
Life saver invention!

Kudos to the inventor!

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by benjamin007: 7:34am On Mar 31, 2018
#Teamiseeroadsafetyiwearsitbelt
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by prodiG(m): 7:47am On Mar 31, 2018
bigcil2:

Bros you’re a criminal and you’re not hiding it
Abeg wetin the guy do?
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Agadsman(m): 7:49am On Mar 31, 2018
If you know you hardly clean your seatbelt and it has stained your clothes before... Join in let us know ourselves. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by AreaFada2: 7:52am On Mar 31, 2018
Kudos to Nils & Volvo. Scandinavians are very humanitarian & altruistic. Till today. Some over capitalist Western people would have made billions of dollars from it.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by ironheart(m): 7:58am On Mar 31, 2018
The very best in car crash safty

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 31, 2018
mctfopt:
I'd always implore people to use their seatbelts. Do not wait until you sight the men of the Federal Road Safety unit before scrambling to put on one. My cousins are still alive today because of the common sense to put on one. There was a crash which made the vehicle flip a couple of times. Had it not being for the seatbelts, they could have been either seriously injured or dead. They only suffered minor scratches which did not need any treatment other than an X-ray with revealed no broken bones and some painkillers.

Another instance, a fellow I know was driving someone to the nearby park. He drove without the seat belt after all; people think seatbelts are for long or interstate journeys. Barely 100m from their home, a crazy truck driver slammed into the SUV; it was a head-on collision. He smashed his chest into the steering wheel and is still in a coma as I type. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Always put one on, even if the distance is 20m. It does not kill if you put one on, but it may kill you if you don't.
what happened to the air bags?
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by sunnyeinstein(m): 8:32am On Mar 31, 2018
Agadsman:
If you know you hardly clean your seatbelt and it has stained your clothes before... Join in let us know ourselves. grin

grin grin me me me! *hides face* cheesy
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Paschy88(m): 8:34am On Mar 31, 2018
mctfopt:

Thank You
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by lilkech(m): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2018
sirusX:
Nice to know the history of it all

I always wondered why race car drivers use different though

I think race car seatbelts are designed to better hold the body in the middle of the seats at all times as they are always in high gears and in corners their car and body roll sometimes makes them lose grip of their steering wheel

If it’s not the reason I believe it must be one of it

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by oluwayemisi1960: 11:00am On Mar 31, 2018
Still in place
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by mctfopt: 12:25pm On Mar 31, 2018
Benz4pimp:
Didn't deploy.
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by Agadsman(m): 1:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
sunnyeinstein:

grin grin me me me! *hides face* cheesy

Lol...guilty as charged grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by olenyi: 11:07am On Apr 01, 2018
Benz4pimp:

In modern cars, the air bag won't deploy if the seat belt is not fastened. This is to prevent the air bag from snapping the drivers/passengers neck.

Regards.
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by OKUCHI11(m): 10:31pm On Apr 01, 2018
Samsimple:
ajepkako like me e don way I use seat belt since wen my papa Mercedes Benz don spoil for 2005... na God be my seat belt anytime I enter molue for Lagos abi danfo...

even all the intercity or interstate buses for nija sef their belt no dey work only if u get ur own car...

God has really been helping me, one day while travelling we had a head on collision with a truck I no know how e happen I see my sef outside d bus unscratched grin
no insult bros but this your comment is uncalled for ...the people who had died as a result of not using seat belt... can t the Deity you called protect them...this is one thing that is drawing Black Nations backward we tend to overlook things on the altar of being protected by one Deity or the other...
Re: The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts by OKUCHI11(m): 10:35pm On Apr 01, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Are you curious as to who invented the seat belt used in all today's vehicles? The Swedish car manufacturer Volvo had begun seeking enhancements to seat belts since mid-twentieth century. At the beginning, the company experimented with a single strap over the belly but sadly, abdominal injuries were still unavoidable in high-speed collisions. More than that, Volvo's engineers also tried a diagonal chest restraint yet, it beheaded crash-test dummies.

Afterwards, the Swedish marque turned to Nils Bohlin – a 38-year-old engineer who had developed Saab aircraft company’s pilot ejector seats. Since passengers in cars want both safety and comfort, transferring aerospace tech to automobile would be a demanding task, according to Bohlin.

However, after a year of experimentation and research, he achieved a significant breakthrough - the most effective safety device ever – "the 3-Point Seat Belt" which includes one strap across the hips and another across the chest, each tied up at the same point. This kind of seat belt was so straightforward that driver and occupants were able to fasten with one hand. Volvo then made the new seat belt design patent open in the interest of safety and made it available to other car manufacturers for free.

About 60 years on after its invention in 1959, we cannot count exactly how many lives Nils' 3-Point Seat Belts have saved but we are certain it runs into millions of lives. 

Have you ever been saved by the 3-point seat belt of your car? Tell us in the comment section. 

https://autojosh.com/the-origin-of-3-point-seat-belts/

sometimes I begin to embrace the environmental theory of Development... the Causal/mechanical explanation method of the advanced peoples instead of the one used by Africans ...they are so embedded in invention and research... while Sub saharans are so embedded in religious activities and spirituality

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Extent Of Repair That 3rd Party Insurance Covers / Location Of OBD2 Slot In Honda CRV 1999 / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.