Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,258 members, 7,829,512 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Cultural Differences - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Differences (1757 Views)

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Differences by Lovely2010: 3:38pm On May 06, 2010
Hello all. I am new here so please be gentle with me. smiley I am a 32 year old woman currently dating a 30 year old Igbo Man from Nigeria. I was advised by a Nigerian man that goes to school with my brother, that I should become very aware of cultural differences between Nigerians and African Americans. He refused to explain anything beyond that. I am just wondering if someone here can help me. Thanks.
Re: Cultural Differences by excanny: 4:50pm On May 06, 2010
theres nuttin to be scared of. Igbos r a highly accommodating ppl with love for strangers due to their migratory nature. Also quite monoamorous. A few things to note when u meet his family: 1.Dont be pompous or trying to show ur class 2.Show ur interest in their culture, like learning to greet in igbo, they will love u for this. 3. Dont encourage ur boyfriend to distance himself from his family or friend, they may think u r d cause. If they see that u r a good influence on him, they will see u as one of their own with time.
Re: Cultural Differences by Lovely2010: 7:05pm On May 06, 2010
excanny:

theres nuttin to be scared of. Igbos r a highly accommodating ppl with love for strangers due to their migratory nature. Also quite monoamorous. A few things to note when u meet his family: 1.Dont be pompous or trying to show your class 2.Show your interest in their culture, like learning to greet in igbo, they will love u for this. 3. Dont encourage your boyfriend to distance himself from his family or friend, they may think u r d cause. If they see that u r a good influence on him, they will see u as one of their own with time.

I am glad to here this. I will be sure not to be a pompous ass =) when I meet his parents. I am actually really excited about meeting the entire family. He has been teaching me a few igbo words, although I am not picking them us as quick as i would like to. I am trying to figure out how we will be able to split our time between the US and Nigeria.
Re: Cultural Differences by deniyor: 7:27pm On May 06, 2010
The relationship part is the toughest part. If you are doing well in that area already, u dont have much to worry abt. Just remember, Nigerians are very family oriented. In my experience, dating a foreigner has its many challenges. Especially for an african man like me.
Re: Cultural Differences by meyri: 12:37am On May 07, 2010
With any culture that is diffrent to your the best thing to have an open mind and dont critize. Learn from each other. Culture is nothing to be afraid of. If you love his personality and he makes you feel good. Whats the problem? Keep it real. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Show some instrest. It just one bridge that you have to cross when people of two different background come together. Best wishes!
Re: Cultural Differences by queeneve: 1:53am On May 07, 2010
Hello Lovely!

I am an African-American woman engaged to an Igbo man myself and child, HIS FAMILY LOVE THEM SOME OF ME! If your boyfriend is open then you shouldn't have any problem. I have met few of his family members and they all gave him the go ahead and nudging him as well, which is a good thing seeing that they are very tight-knit family. My fiance love to eat so cooking is a must for me. It not much of a difference and the only thing that seperate you and your boyfriend is that You was born in America and he was born in Africa. Well, I can only speak for me and my fiance. We get along like white on rice and we understands each other. Cultural differences shouldn't be a hinderance, but a blessing. I am learning so much about his culture and he learning so much about mine.

One thing I MUST ADVISE YOU never talk about or even imply another man's name whooooweee girl, I made a mistake of talking about my best friend's ex boyfriend and I was talking about how good he was, THE LOOK ON MY MAN'S EYES! I HAD TO QUICKLY TELL HIM THAT WAS MY BEST FRIEND'S MAN NOT MINE, HOWEVER LEAVE UR PAST IN THE PAST UNLESS HE ASK YOU.

CHEA!
Re: Cultural Differences by Lovely2010: 4:25am On May 08, 2010
Thank you all so much for your comments. All the information that you all are giving me is much appreciated. I am so glad to be in an area where everyone is so positive. I have run into enough negative conversation about people from Nigeria to make me sick. You all are beautiful people and I thank you for blessing me with their wisdom. cheesy
Re: Cultural Differences by eddy1977(m): 2:04am On May 14, 2010
another thing: encourage him to be himself. he shouldnt fake anything to look good.
if you are willing to learn his ways and culture,he should return the favor and learn your ways and culture as well.

good luck on the relationship
hope you two prosper and settle down together;have a great wedding,marriage and set an example for many intercultural marriages.

(1) (Reply)

Interested In Moderating This Section? / . / ìkíniàríyöìkí Ayö Fún àlejò Sí Södõláti Odua Land!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.