Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family (1858 Views)

Android 13 Update For Galaxy A52: Anyone? / Qi Wireless Fast Charger Charging Pad Stand Dock For Galaxy S9+ Iphone X XS Max / Help On Metro Pcs Sim Unlock For Galaxy J3 Prime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by TechZiga: 4:16am On Apr 03, 2018
Owners of the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, and the Galaxy S6 Active, will not be getting the latest Android Oreo as the company has decided to end Android support for the devices. All the device will be ending their lives running Android 7.0 Nougat with the February 5, 2018 Android Security Patch on board.

This is according to the list revealed on Samsung’s Android Security Upgrades page which shows the Galaxy S6 family missing. What this means is that users won’t be able to get any further update than Nougat from official software, but future security updates and even further Android updates may be obtained through community development.

Source: https://www.techchairman.com/2018/04/samsung-ends-android-support-for-galaxy.html

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by graciousme(f): 6:53am On Apr 03, 2018
But why?
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by donbenie(m): 6:59am On Apr 03, 2018
graciousme:
But why?
Normal, they've reached the end of their 2 years guaranteed Samsung Android software support.. happens with all their Flagships..

1 Like

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by EarthXmetahuman: 8:22am On Apr 03, 2018
Already?

This is why I hate samsung. They put too much irrelavant features and bloatwares on phones that make it hard for them to update or continue to update their phones.

IPhone 4 is still getting update. Some google nexus series are still getting updated.

Samsung only give one major update and the update will even come when google is already preparing launch another update.

Useless company.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 03, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
Already?

This is why I hate samsung. They put too much irrelavant features and bloatwares on phones that make it hard for them to update or continue to update their phones.

IPhone 4 is still getting update. Some google nexus series are still getting updated.

Samsung only give one major update and the update will even come when google is already preparing launch another update.

Useless company.

It is not a Samsung thing, it's an Android thing. The beauty of Android is customization but that same customization is also it's Doom. Oems are able to add their skins to the phones, hence making it difficult for timely updates. The reason most iPhones get updated at the same time is because iOS is a closed system, and iOS is only available on iPhones, no customization. Nexus and pixel phones get timely updates because they are pure Android. As for me I don't like pure Android, Samsung add lots of features that make their phones unique and even Google is now borrowing some of these features to add to core Android like multiwindow (that has been available on Samsung devices for more than 4 yrs now ), smart screenshot that will be introduced on Android p (has been on Samsung since gakacy s6), etc. All these features makes it difficult for Samsung to release timely updated. And it's not just Samsung, most Android oems stop updating their phones after 2-3 yrs unless the phone is running Android one or pure Android.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by EarthXmetahuman: 9:38am On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

It is not a Samsung thing, it's an Android thing. The beauty of Android is customization but that same customization is also it's Doom. Oems are able to add their skins to the phones, hence making it difficult for timely updates. The reason most iPhones get updated at the same time is because iOS is a closed system, and iOS is only available on iPhones, no customization. Nexus and pixel phones get timely updates because they are pure Android. As for me I don't like pure Android, Samsung add lots of features that make their phones unique and even Google is now borrowing some of these features to add to core Android like multiwindow (that has been available on Samsung devices for more than 4 yrs now ), smart screenshot that will be introduced on Android p (has been on Samsung since gakacy s6), etc. All these features makes it difficult for Samsung to release timely updated. And it's not just Samsung, most Android oems stop updating their phones after 2-3 yrs unless the phone is running Android one or pure Android.
android is not the problem but samsung.
nexus and pixels have almost the same feature as samsung.
Essential phone, or some xiaomi phones run same android and they get updated regularly.
Because their android is close to stock

Samsung should tone down the bloatwares and skins. They should put close to stock android on their phones, then they should make those bloatwares or their feature apps available in their app store and let users decide if they want it or not instead of sholving it down people's throat.

The beauty of android is how highly customizable it is. Let people add their own skins and feature they want.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by MarkWayne89: 10:04am On Apr 03, 2018
As an update, they seem to re-introduce the model back on their update list:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/04/02/samsung-ends-update-support-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-s6-edge-s6-active
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 03, 2018
custom rooms don finish for xda??
I have an s5 running android 8.1 currently I received an update just yesterday. And I've updated it. I'm running crdroid. If them want make dem end am, if I get an s6 and want android p! Xda never die.
Nb*I've used Samsung for a long time. But Now I'm loving the pure Google on my phones currently . I don't know how but i don't miss any features in their stock rom anymore. Samsung is shit

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by ZAWs: 10:24am On Apr 03, 2018
Update for 2yrs is way too fair enough.
After all they have newer phones.

For the bloatwares,
You can always remove any bloatware on your phone(Root required).
I just dont like anything pure andriod.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 03, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
android is not the problem but samsung.
nexus and pixels have almost the same feature as samsung.
Essential phone, or some xiaomi phones run same android and they get updated regularly.
Because their android is close to stock

Samsung should tone down the bloatwares and skins. They should put close to stock android on their phones, then they should make those bloatwares or their features apps available in their app store and let users decide if they want it or not instead of sholving it down people's throat.

The beauty of android is how highly customizable it is. Let people add their own skins and feature they want.

U don't get it. Nexus, Pixel, Essential, etc run on pure android.. no skins. Samsung have their own UI which lots of Samsung faithfuls have come to love. If they remove that skin they they take away what makes Samsung phones different from others. Me for 1 I don't even like pure Android, its too boring for my likeness and that is why I hate Nexus or Pixel phones.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 03, 2018
CHESTER48:
custom rooms don finish for xda??
I have an s5 running android 8.1 currently I received an update just yesterday. And I've updated it. I'm running crdroid. If them want make dem end am, if I get an s6 and want android p! Xda never die.
Nb*I've used Samsung for a long time. But Now I'm loving the pure Google on my phones currently . I don't know how but i don't miss any features in their stock rom anymore. Samsung is shit

Of course, but u lose the touchwiz features. And u can't deny that all those CM roms don't have bugs
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 03, 2018
ZAWs:
Update for 2yrs is way too fair enough.
After all they have newer phones.

For the bloatwares,
You can always remove any bloatware on your phone(Root required).
I just dont like anything pure andriod.

Same with me, I don't like pure android.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

Of course, but u lose the touchwiz features. And u can't deny that all those CM roms don't have bugs
what the Bleep is touchwiz?
To hell with touchwiz. I've been using touch wiz since gs3. I don't want it again. Even for free. There is nothing compared to Google pure android. If you think I am lying, go to xda download leanage OS 14.1 or ResurrectionRemix rom and see what I mean.

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 03, 2018
CHESTER48:
what the Bleep is touchwiz?
To hell with touchwiz. I've been using touch wiz since gs3. I don't want it again. Even for free. There is nothing compared to Google pure android. If you think I am lying, go to xda download leanage OS 14.1 or ResurrectionRemix rom and see what I mean.

Then u don't need a Samsung phone because us that use Samsung can't stand pure Android which is totally boring. So I get to lose my smart capture, smart dial, real multiwindow multitasking (not that one that google finally included in Android 7.0}, and other smart features. Mbanu. U can be using ur pire Android, as for me I don't like it. And on top of that all those cm Tom's have a few bugs unless u just want to pretend like it's not there.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Ebubemg(m): 11:56am On Apr 03, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
Already?

Useless company.
two major update not one
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by EarthXmetahuman: 12:05pm On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

U don't get it. Nexus, Pixel, Essential, etc run on pure android.. no skins. Samsung have their own UI which lots of Samsung faithfuls have come to love. If they remove that skin they they take away what makes Samsung phones different from others. Me for 1 I don't even like pure Android, its too boring for my likeness and that is why I hate Nexus or Pixel phones.
samsung skins become boring after using it for while just like stock android.

Plus people don't buy samsung phones because of skins, far from it. They buy them because of hardware.

Its not as if you can customize the skin.

Updates over stupid skin.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

Then u don't need a Samsung phone because us that use Samsung can't stand pure Android which is totally boring. So I get to lose my smart capture, smart dial, real multiwindow multitasking (not that one that google finally included in Android 7.0}, and other smart features. Mbanu. U can be using ur pire Android, as for me I don't like it. And on top of that all those cm Tom's have a few bugs unless u just want to pretend like it's not there.
which one is smart capture, smart dial? I think you're new to this android of a thing. No insults!. But if you know android very well you won't talk like this. Do you know what we call mods? Do you know xposed module? Have you used it B4? All this things u mentioned are find in xposed installer.samsung is giving you lagging touchwiz with nonsense. You can't compare Google camera with Samsung camera.no android phone camera beats Google software camera. You have not used pure android that's why you talking. I changed to pure android after I ditched my s7. I got oneplus 5, and sold later, that what made me switch to pure android.

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 03, 2018
CHESTER48:
which one is smart capture, smart dial? I think you're new to this android of a thing. No insults!. But if you know android very well you won't talk like this. Do you know what we call mods? Do you know xposed module? Have you used it B4? All this things u mentioned are find in xposed installer.samsung is giving you lagging touchwiz with nonsense. You can't compare Google camera with Samsung camera.no android phone camera beats Google software camera. You have not used pure android that's why you talking. I changed to pure android after I ditched my s7. I got oneplus 5, and sold later, that what made me switch to pure android.

Been there, done that. I've used basically all version of Android. Look Google are just adding features that have already been available on Samsung phones for years into the core Android software. And if u don't know smart capture then u never used galaxy s7 edge like u claimed because that feature is also available on the s6. It's a feature that allow u take long screen shots, like trying to screenshot a webpage, it would take the screen shot and u keep scorlling down and it will keep taking the screenshot in just 1 image.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

Been there, done that. I've used basically all version of Android. Look Google are just adding features that have already been available on Samsung phones for years into the core Android software. And if u don't know smart capture then u never used galaxy s7 edge like u claimed because that feature is also available on the s6. It's a feature that allow u take long screen shots, like trying to screenshot a webpage, it would take the screen shot and u keep scorlling down and it will keep taking the screenshot in just 1 image.
lol. See Google stock rom has come to the point that nothing can beat it again. Tell me what phones have now Google stock don't have? Google has picture in picture mode. Stock android now has multiple window, has double recent to go to previous apps, now has ambient display. Thanks to Samsung for some of the ideas. But now, you can't beat the stock Android. Most stock phones are running android 8.1 ore already, is your s7 edge running 8.1 now? Is the update available. Google is already making android p and you are still stuck in nougat. B4 u enter oreo Google must have left p to another android. For the pix u talked about, android 8.0 oreo has it, you can even drag the particular place you want on the screen. Let me screen shot and snap to you for example now

Here is a picture I just took now to prove to you.

As you can see in the pix, I can even go immersive mode, with my hardware keys. Yes can you see my 3g icon or battery percentage? Making every bit on the screen useful and full

You must have used the versions of android 2014 not now. Just admit the last time u used pure android?

Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by TheBulusNotes(m): 4:19pm On Apr 03, 2018
Thank God for project treble,,, basically all phones that come with Oreo pre installed (minus One plus) comes with project treble.

Project treble makes all customizations of OEMs separate from the main android stock.

A person was able to boot into stock android on a Galaxy S9 and everything worked except iris scanner.... Note he didn't flashed any rom

Samsung no longer uses touchwiz, all Samsung phones updated to nougat above uses Samsung Experience
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 03, 2018
TheBulusNotes:
Thank God for project treble,,, basically all phones that come with Oreo pre installed (minus One plus) comes with project treble.

Project treble makes all customizations of OEMs separate from the main android stock.

A person was able to boot into stock android on a Galaxy S9 and everything worked except iris scanner.... Note he didn't flashed any rom

Samsung no longer uses touchwiz, all Samsung phones updated to nougat above uses Samsung Experience

They have stopped calling it touchwiz for a while now, we just call it touchwiz for easy understanding. And to be frank the software is no longer heavy like the touchwiz of old, they have really polished it.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by TheBulusNotes(m): 6:26pm On Apr 03, 2018
greenhulk:

They have stopped calling it touchwiz for a while now, we just call it touchwiz for easy understanding. And to be frank the software is no longer heavy like the touchwiz of old, they have really polished it.

Actually they discontinued it secretly just like how s voice was secretly discontinued.

Samsung Experience is the new Custom OS starting with S8 upwards.

But if your Samsung phone was updated to nougat. You are automatically updated to Samsung Experience
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 03, 2018
TheBulusNotes:

Actually they discontinued it secretly just like how s voice was secretly discontinued.

Samsung Experience is the new Custom OS starting with S8 upwards.

But if your Samsung phone was updated to nougat. You are automatically updated to Samsung Experience

Samsung didn't officially call the skin on s6 and s7 touchwiz, But I agree the whole thing was overhauled with the S8 especially since they also ditched the physical home button.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by friendlyenemy: 1:29am On Apr 04, 2018
Come along and click the signature if you wanna get first class free tutorials and tools that matches all kind of hustle..... If you know you know.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Mofe72: 5:05am On Apr 04, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
Already?

Useless company.

The iPhone 4 isn’t getting updates bro. It stopped at iOS 9
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by Ghostnick: 7:44am On Apr 04, 2018
Many times we say what we don't know....check phonearena/gsmarena before you can openup a topic.android 8.0 is the last updated for galaxy S6 and it's siblings.
Re: Samsung Ends Android Support For Galaxy S6 Family by henry007(m): 8:51am On Apr 04, 2018
TechZiga:
Owners of the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, and the Galaxy S6 Active, will not be getting the latest Android Oreo as the company has decided to end Android support for the devices. All the device will be ending their lives running Android 7.0 Nougat with the February 5, 2018 Android Security Patch on board.

This is according to the list revealed on Samsung’s Android Security Upgrades page which shows the Galaxy S6 family missing. What this means is that users won’t be able to get any further update than Nougat from official software, but future security updates and even further Android updates may be obtained through community development.

Source: https://www.techchairman.com/2018/04/samsung-ends-android-support-for-galaxy.html

Too soon.

(1) (Reply)

Huawei Y3 (2018) Specification / Water Resistant Test Between Iphone And Xiaomi / What Phone Can I Get With 40k.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.