Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth (15171 Views)

Woman Strips Her 9-Year-Old Son For Stealing N5000 In Delta (Photo) / Mum Forcefully Brushing Her Son's Teeth ( Hilarious Photo ) / How My 10-year-old Demonic House Girl Was Having Sex With My 2-year-old Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by GlobalD2: 7:59pm On May 13, 2010
llade:

Please ma son is one year old and he has been completely weaned and started eating cooked food. I need advice on how to take care of his dental health. Thanks

Get a small piece of foam with toothpaste that suits his age; it will do the job.

Note: Eating sticky things without frequent rinsing can cause decay in both teeth and gums. If you notice any signs of gum disease, consult the dentist immediately. Good luck!
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by localexpat: 9:00pm On May 13, 2010
can't one use the conventional chewing stick?
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by cuvoguy: 9:47pm On May 13, 2010
This is a very educative thread for parents and parents to be. My wife uses baby toothbrush and paste (milk teeth) for my 2 yr old child. But one very important thing to note when brushing their teeth and they scream/cry is to check out the baby's mouth for any injury (especially the gum). This will make them reject food and you would wonder why. We used DRUJELA to stop the pain/ache/bleeding in the mouth. It's a white transparent gel in a small tube and it's very cheap. That helped our child.

This is my little contribution.

Then one more thing Nairalanders, please reduce the way you use abusive/vulgar words. There are kids that visit this site. Remain blessed as you comply.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by kabarka(m): 9:54pm On May 13, 2010
mamas,we are all ears.Whatever you use in place brush DO NOT FORGET WATER !!
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by donpaulo(m): 10:50pm On May 13, 2010
my sister uses glycerin and cottonwool, her baby would be a yr old next week.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Virtueways(f): 12:13am On May 14, 2010
what about 6 months old babbies how do u also clean their gums?
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by GlobalD2: 2:00am On May 14, 2010
Virtueways:

what about 6 months old babbies how do u also clean their gums?

Check out for my previous reply. Best of luck!
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by uyakachi(m): 4:14am On May 14, 2010
MY GRAND MA USED TOBACCO TO BRUSH MY TEETH
IS VERY HEALTHY cool coolcool
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by uyakachi(m): 4:18am On May 14, 2010
MY GRAND PA USED DRYGIN TO WASH MY MOUTH AFTER GRA MA FINSH BRUSHING MY TEETH WT TOBACCO
MY MAMMY TOLD ME
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Nobody: 4:21am On May 14, 2010
actually am not here to give advice, am here to take em grin brushing
my three years old brother teeth is a nighmare, thanks everyone for the
advice.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Nobody: 6:59am On May 14, 2010
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Mauyiwa(m): 9:58am On May 14, 2010
I am very happy for ur positive contributions towards this topic. Three gboser to u all.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by sfiea: 11:24am On May 14, 2010
@ All

Non of you mention* cleaning the tongue, which, if not cleaned even properly, result in serious mouth odor [/b]as they grow/develop.
Most especially the whitish substance on the tongue.

[b]The most important thing is to be gentle at it
, a lot of parent don't know they exert too much pressure/force on the gum while help brush.

Whilst cleaning the tongue, the feel of wanting to vomit scare the hell outta them and they don't like it.

The pain and vomit feeling, is the real reason children hate parents help brush their teeth, but love to do it themselves.

And when a child (1-3yrs) can't talk, they cry to tell you something is wrong or I don't like it.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by sfiea: 11:29am On May 14, 2010
@ All

Non of you mention* cleaning the tongue, which, if not cleaned even properly, result in serious mouth odor [/b]as they grow/develop.
Most especially the whitish substance on the tongue.

[b]The most important thing is to be gentle at it
, a lot of parent don't know they exert too much pressure/force on the gum while help brush.

Whilst cleaning the tongue, the feel of wanting to vomit scare the hell outta them and they don't like it.

The pain and vomit feeling, is the real reason children hate parents help brush their teeth, but love to do it themselves.

And when a child (1-3yrs) can't talk, they cry to tell you something is wrong or I don't like it.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by nitafummy(f): 11:45am On May 14, 2010
use a damp cloth or piece of gauze to wipe the tooth. Once more teeth begin to appear, you can use finger brushes that are worn over your index finger and use them to brush your baby's teeth.

When your baby is about 18 months to about 2 years old, you can purchase a child toothbrush and begin cleaning your child's teeth at least once a day

you can read more on care of the teeth at :

http://nutritioningtips..com
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Damysa(f): 2:50pm On May 14, 2010
@Chaircover how about a 1yr 3mths old baby, will the drama u described above work with him/her
cos I have a baby of that age, if I start making fusses at her, she will only laugh and think am playing with her.

These days she collects the cloth from me and attempts to brush herself, also feeding has become a nightmare as she will always want to feed herself. I end up using about five spoons for each meal and she will still collect all from me if I refuse giving her come and see drama, she will cry and wail profusely, roll on the ground, hit her head on anything ha I don see, okay if eventually leave to please herself, she will spill all the food and dirty/scatter everywhere kai women dey try abeg.

I now feed her with my bear hands(properly washed though) and she has followed suit except for liquids but I dont think it's hygienic enough but what can I do cos she will never eat.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 14, 2010
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by kshow1(m): 10:20pm On May 14, 2010
kokoye:

sand-paper can be used as well.
grin

If these was how you were treated at that age, i guess you should be gumless by now. grin grin grin
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by pak: 12:21pm On May 15, 2010

Use charcoal and scrub

Aro Okigbo:

best answer. no microbe stands this treatment!!!

I dont know if these guys meant these ti be jokes but its quite true !!!

Charcoal has amazing cleansing powers

Check out these links
http://www.herbal-supplements-for-you.com/homeremedies/home-remedies-toothache.htm
http://www.dherbs.com/articles/carbon-activated-charcoal-177.html

Dont know how it works for children though !
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by llade(m): 3:11pm On May 15, 2010
Am thrilled by all the avalanche of responses and advice, i must say thanks to u all for all ur thoughtful and useful contributions and advice.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Dabbs: 10:24am On May 16, 2010
Get a small piece of foam with toothpaste that suits his age; it will do the job.

Note: Eating sticky things without frequent rinsing can cause decay in both teeth and gums. If you notice any signs of gum disease, consult the dentist immediately. Good luck!

Thanks Global-D. It works fine. I did and I wash the tongue very well. It wasn't that easy but my baby showed the sign that she enjoyed herself. Thumb up.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by GlobalD2: 12:03pm On May 16, 2010
Dabbs:

Thanks Global-D. It works fine. I did and I wash the tongue very well. It wasn't that easy but my baby showed the sign that she enjoyed herself. Thumb up.

You welcome, ! Best wishes to him/her.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by swintec: 11:18pm On May 16, 2010
Use of soft cloth with toothpaste on it works just fine. it will enable you reach the tongue (carefully, oo!) since that' s where the odour lies.  wink
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by FBS: 2:56pm On May 17, 2010
My BIG man will be clocking a year old soon and I remember we tried to brush his teeth as early as when he was 7 months. Initially he was ok with it, then later he showed some kind of discomfort. Afterwards he will just collect the brush and well, you know what babies do.  grin

Later we figured out that it may not be right especially for his gums and we stopped. Now that he has more (teeth), we will be switching to the old school style. . . Cotton Wool. . .at least even the doctor/dentist agreed!  cheesy
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by farrybabe: 3:54pm On May 17, 2010
I don't know where u base but dere is kiddies toothbrush n toothpaste from 4month old dey r very soft dat's wat i use 4 my kids. if u r in 9ja it might be hard 2 get dem because i was home last yr n i went 2 ojuwoye market lookn 4 kid's toothpaste i cud'nt get, i later got dem in shoprite. anoder alternative will be cotton wool with water or tiny bit of d adult toothpaste.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by FBS: 7:29am On May 18, 2010
^^^ Ok now we know that you are not in 9ja. clap clap.  grin
You forgot that kids are different and can react differently - The gum can be very sensitive for some.

Cotton wool and baby toothpaste it is.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by shemy: 2:59pm On May 18, 2010
hi,
the thread is educative indeed, but my children are 7- 810 years now and i don't like the colour of thrie new teeth, could ot be from toothpaste or what do i do?
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by GlobalD2: 2:12am On May 19, 2010
shemy:

hi,
the thread is educative indeed, but my children are 7- 810 years now and i don't like the colour of thrie new teeth, could ot be from toothpaste or what do i do?

I read somewhere the teeth colour depends on nature or some diseases. Heredity may also be at work. Whatever, consult the dentist,  They know better
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Centkaycee(f): 3:35pm On May 19, 2010
Women, una well done o!. I just de pass say mek I greet una,,
When I was a baby, I used all, Brushed with paste, used Alum, Clothe, Warm water & charcoal with salt.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by namski(m): 9:16pm On May 19, 2010
chewing stick will more than do a good job!

Being serious, clean soft cloth with a smear of baby toothpaste is what you need for a start and then introduce toothbrush later, say about 15months. But be prepared as your baby will swallow almost everything, although it should not be a source of worry to you so far you stick to baby tooth paste.
Re: How To Brush My One Year Old Son's Teeth by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 20, 2010
Una fit use VIM [scouring powder] and iron sponge

(1) (2) (Reply)

Single Ladies: Let's Share Our Experiences Here / Between Your Mom And Dad, Who Gave You The Real Beating Of Your Life? / Domestic Violence: A Time To Fight Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.