Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,411 members, 7,830,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics (9934 Views)

Special Message By DSS On Social Media In Nigeria / Presidency Bars AbdulMajid Danbirni From Media In North / Yemi Osinbajo's Team Published In Today's Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by GavelSlam: 2:34pm On Apr 03, 2018
three:
This in summary is akin to mind control.

Simply

1. Locate thousands or millions of naive and gullible individuals (this you can easily find out from their posts, likes and follows).

2. Share content that they will believe WITHOUT FACT CHECKING!

3. Provoke them with skilfully designed stories that stir up ethnic, religious or highly emotional sentiments.

4. Get them to go and register, collect PVC and 'VOTE OUT' the 'enemy'.

5. Glide into office on a surprise win and satisfy yourself with the 'spoils' of war. The naive individuals are none the wiser.

BREXIT, Trump, Nigeria

embarassed cry

QED.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by obatoro: 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2018
Good write up. Facebook will soon be a thing of the past just like Myspace.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 3:11pm On Apr 03, 2018
jamael:
Very Long read.

In summary, the role of social media in today's political process can't be overemphasized and its abuse should be curtailed by constituted authorities so that it will not be used to undermine democracy.

Hard facts but very true. Most people don't have the ability to emotionally detach themselves when they are online. You can easily find out someone's bias towards religion, ethnicity, politics etc merely by what they post even on NL which is a faceless forum. How much more on Facebook and other social sites where one's life history and family details are kept open for the world to see.

Until we learn to think geometrically, billions of people will continually be scammed, molested, negatively influenced and taken for a ride and there's little the constituted authorities will do about it (even in advanced countries let alone Nigeria).

Learn to detach emotions from your posts especially on public forums.
The sad part is that people will not pay attention. As stated, when the dust settles, it will be business as usual at Facebook.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 3:13pm On Apr 03, 2018
obatoro:
Good write up. Facebook will soon be a thing of the past just like Myspace.
Easier said than done, Facebook currently has the best advertising mechanism in the world. Advertisers will not want to see it die off and Facebook has more than enough money to settle its way through this problem.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by obatoro: 3:23pm On Apr 03, 2018
Jethrolite:
Easier said than done, Facebook currently has the best advertising mechanism in the world. Advertisers will not want to see it die off and Facebook has more than enough money to settle its way through this problem.
Facebook will soon be a thing of the past. Nothing (especially technology last forever, there is always what is called "cycle" I will want you to try and get this book ,"Cycles the mysterious trigger" by Og. You will have a clearer picture of what am saying.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by J2381: 3:26pm On Apr 03, 2018
Never trust a business man, especially one who looks simple.

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 3:31pm On Apr 03, 2018
obatoro:

Facebook will soon be a thing of the past. Nothing (especially technology last forever, there is always what is called "cycle" I will want you to try and get this book ,"Cycles the mysterious trigger" by Og. You will have a clearer picture of what am saying.
Social media Is Internet Cunning Ways.
Please check our signature in blue colour below
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by obatoro: 3:38pm On Apr 03, 2018
CofOLandOfPeace:
Social media Is Internet Cunning Ways. Please check our signature in blue colour below
Is that number yours?
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by demitola(m): 3:43pm On Apr 03, 2018
Biglittlelois:
The only reason people, politicians or leaders complain about social media is when it does not favour them in any way e.g this present government in Nigeria, opposition party in USA cos Trump won etc if reverse was the case we wont hear anything so please spare us the sermon
Quite certain you didnt read the report up there. You had predisposition and you immediately laid it now. The bane of that long essay is securing your own PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY especially as regards social media exposure!
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 4:49pm On Apr 03, 2018
obatoro:

I know what you're saying. It is a matter of time, let us see what happens.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by obatoro: 5:03pm On Apr 03, 2018
Jethrolite:
I know what you're saying. It is a matter of time, let us see what happens.
Now you are talking.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Biglittlelois(f): 5:59pm On Apr 03, 2018
demitola:

Quite certain you didnt read the report up there. You had predisposition and you immediately laid it now. The bane of that long essay is securing your own PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY especially as regards social media exposure!

I actually read everything on that report bro, and it wasnt all about PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY, it talked about the negative influence it has on politics, citing Facebook, USA and how politics in general can be influenced.

The fact that i didnt type what you like doesnt mean you can just conclude whatever about someone else
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by demitola(m): 9:59pm On Apr 03, 2018
Biglittlelois:

I actually read everything on that report bro, and it wasnt all about PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY, it talked about the negative influence it has on politics, citing Facebook, USA and how politics in general can be influenced.

The fact that i didnt type what you like doesnt mean you can just conclude whatever about someone else
Very happy you read it through, then why would you just zero in on the influence on politics alone? Google as a company was drawn in because of its unwarranted access to customer's location via GPS even when switched on an android device. So why would you need to just jump to PDP or APShit? I feel we can learn far more from all these infos without our already tainted filthy nigerian political mentality.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 10:06pm On Apr 03, 2018
Mark Zucherberg must have stepped on the wrong toes. Imaging the figure 50 million people in privacy breach cases during the last election alone which is still attracting criticism in the country and putting President Trump on the defensive in public eyes. This is really bad for a man who has pride himself in the integrity of running a business empire yesteryears and today national/world politics. Zucky being a business man should have known better than to be getting himself hobnobbing with politicians in public eyes, this should have been settled underground long before it hit the media. He should just do the needful and resign as fb CEO otherwise I see him getting into politics too soon. Imo
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 10:24pm On Apr 03, 2018
Jethrolite:

The way out is if Zucky resigns as CEO. Only that single act will shut the mouth of the media
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Biglittlelois(f): 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
demitola:

Very happy you read it through, then why would you just zero in on the influence on politics alone? Google as a company was drawn in because of its unwarranted access to customer's location via GPS even when switched on an android device. So why would you need to just jump to PDP or APShit? I feel we can learn far more from all these infos without our already tainted filthy nigerian political mentality.

Why are you soo particular on what i base my opinion on? It's just like me asking why you cite your opinion on PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY when i know everyone is entitled to their own opinion so why are you concerned about mine? where did you see that i even mentioned Nigeria or any party if that is not what is on your mind MR. ?
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Biglittlelois(f): 10:29pm On Apr 03, 2018
demitola:

Why are you soo particular on what i base my opinion on? It's just like me asking why you cite your opinion on PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY when i know everyone is entitled to their own opinion so why are you concerned about mine? where did you see that i even mentioned Nigeria or any party if that is not what is on your mind MR.?
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 10:35pm On Apr 03, 2018
brodalokie:

The way out is if Zucky resigns as CEO. Only that single act will shut the mouth of the media
We both know Mark will rather die than relinquish direct control of Facebook. He didn't fight this far to give up, the crazy practise behind this scandal is the foundation Facebook was built on. Remember how facemash spread like fire, accessing and exploiting database without authorisation.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by demitola(m): 10:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Why are you soo particular on what i base my opinion on? It's just like me asking why you cite your opinion on PRIVACY and PERSONAL SAFETY when i know everyone is entitled to their own opinion so why are you concerned about mine? where did you see that i even mentioned Nigeria or any party if that is not what is on your mind MR.?
Let me take you back..... you posted this: " "The only reason people, politicians or leaders complain about social media is when it does not favour them in any way e.g[b] this present government in Nigeria,[/b] opposition party in USA cos Trump won etc if reverse was the case we wont hear anything so please spare us the sermon.
You were even the first to comment on the thread, you have 100% right to your opinion i concur, but it was enough to derail the whole thread.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 10:45pm On Apr 03, 2018
Jethrolite:
We both know Mark will rather die than relinquish direct control of Facebook. He didn't fight this far to give up, the crazy practise behind this scandal is the foundation Facebook was built on. Remember how facemash spread like fire, accessing and exploiting database without authorisation.

He made the rules and broke it by selling 50 million privacy data's for money. Now he's facing class action lawsuits everywhere, he's even agreed to defend himself in congress. Abeg tell me, waiting concern agbero with overload? Him na politician? What do you think?

May I add. Facebook is nothing without me and you. And our privacy is important.
God gives riches and can still take it...
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Biglittlelois(f): 10:52pm On Apr 03, 2018
demitola:

Let me take you back..... you posted this: " "The only reason people, politicians or leaders complain about social media is when it does not favour them in any way e.g[b] this present government in Nigeria,[/b] opposition party in USA cos Trump won etc if reverse was the case we wont hear anything so please spare us the sermon.
You were even the first to comment on the thread, you have 100% right to your opinion i concur, but it was enough to derail the whole thread.

Derail the whole thread? Are you for real? i'm done with you
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by demitola(m): 11:03pm On Apr 03, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Derail the whole thread? Are you for real? i'm done with you
Better you did! after you initially denied you didnt mention anything Nigeria. Please stop diving into threads you cant get a full grasp of.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
brodalokie:

He made the rules and broke it by selling 50 million privacy data's for money. Now he's facing class action lawsuits everywhere, he's even agreed to defend himself in congress. Abeg tell me, waiting concern agbero with overload? Him na politician? What do you think?

May I add. Facebook is nothing without me and you. And our privacy is important.
God gives riches and can still take it...
True, it is nothing without us but most users are nothing without it too. There is no direct replacement for Facebook as it is. Nothing connects the world as Facebook does.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by gabng(m): 11:55pm On Apr 03, 2018
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by gabng(m): 11:56pm On Apr 03, 2018
Behavioural Science mixed with IT & AI

The new gold mine
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 4:47am On Apr 04, 2018
Jethrolite:
True, it is nothing without us but most users are nothing without it too. There is no direct replacement for Facebook as it is. Nothing connects the world as Facebook does.

I have to say, that's really narrow minded. What do you think about the scandal, the class action lawsuits, the effects and what are the solution you can think of?
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 9:00am On Apr 04, 2018
brodalokie:

I have to say, that's really narrow minded. What do you think about the scandal, the class action lawsuits, the effects and what are the solution you can think of?
This could go anywhere, let us watch the whole thing unfold.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 9:44am On Apr 04, 2018
Jethrolite:
This could go anywhere, let us watch the whole thing unfold.

Sidon look na dog name brah. Take a stand on the right side. Zucky has cocked up... This should not have spread far if it wasn't hot. If I was him I'd just settle however I needed to settle and try to be careful about doing that kind of business next time.. Or better still just resign. I'm sure he must have contemplated that
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by Jethrolite(m): 9:49am On Apr 04, 2018
brodalokie:

Sidon look na dog name brah. Take a stand on the right side. Zucky has cocked up... This should not have spread far if it wasn't hot. If I was him I'd just settle however I needed to settle and try to be careful about doing that kind of business next time.. Or better still just resign. I'm sure he must have contemplated that
If you're insisting Facebook will die off then I'm not in support, I gain nothing from Facebook and came to my conclusion from a logical premise. This is not Facebook's first security scandal.
Re: Facebook Data Scandal: The Malicious Role Of Social Media In Today's Politics by brodalokie: 9:58am On Apr 04, 2018
Jethrolite:
If you're insisting Facebook will die off then I'm not in support, I gain nothing from Facebook and came to my conclusion from a logical premise. This is not Facebook's first security scandal.

There's nothing in my post that said that. I'm always referring to Zucky in case you haven't noticed... I am not the one who started this, we are only analysing the trend, situation and effects. You see many office holders involved in scandals who resigned and the issue is never heard again? This is not different from it... Facebook will continue but Zucky will just have to go.
We started off with Yahoo, MSN, tagged and the rest. Facebook is just one of them. Don't you agree?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attack: Buhari Heads To Chad / Akwa Ibom: Gov Umo Eno appoints 372 Personal Assistants / Nigeria Reiterates Call For A Humanitarian Truce In Israel-Gaza Conflict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.