Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,094 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why (27136 Views)

I Was Duped By A Whatsapp TV. How I Recovered My Money / What Data Does Android Back Up Automatically? / What Data Does Android Back Up Automatically? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by mubarak1996(m): 5:27pm On Apr 03, 2018
Does WhatsApp call use lots of data? This guide can demonstrate the amount of WhatsApp calling data usage per one minute call using 2G, 3G or 4G network. Truly WhatsApp data usage depends on many factors that I’ll justify and eventually observe how much MB will a WhatsApp call use per minute.

Effect of network quality over WhatsApp calling data usage

No matter what type of mobile network or Wi-Fi you are connected to, WhatsApp will forever allow us to make a call, saving the restrictions which will be placed to use by some operators. Obviously, the standard of the network depends on the quality of the call because if we are in an edge network, where calls via WhatsApp also work; aside from a very good voice quality we will also have a delay that makes the call very uncomfortable.

But precisely that's one among the benefits of these calls, which will be at the hands of any user with a smartphone with a compatible operating system, despite whether your phone has 4G or not, including 3G. however, that's why ensuring that WhatsApp calls have specific data consumption per minute is an error, and that everything depends on the network to which both parties are connected.

WhatsApp call data usage per minute – Data Obtained From My Tests

If the quality of the calls isn't the same, the data consumption cannot be the same either. With that clear observation, I tend to venture to certify that the consumption, the expense of calls via WhatsApp depends on what type of network both partners are connected to.

For this I've used 2 android phones, forcing them to connect to different networks (4G, 3G, and 2G) to see if our premise was true. After repeatedly repeating constant tests (calls of 2 minutes) this is often the common consumption of the calls I've created according to the network to which I was connected:

TYPE OF NETWORK: 2G
DATA CONSUMPTION IN TWO MINUTES OF CALL: 400 KB

TYPE OF NETWORK: 3G
DATA CONSUMPTION IN TWO MINUTES OF CALL: 600 KB

TYPE OF NETWORK: 4G
DATA CONSUMPTION IN TWO MINUTES OF CALL: 1 MB

The first issue I've found is that the data consumption depends on the worst connection of both sides of the communication. If one amongst the users is in a 4G network but the other is in an edge network, the consumption, and also the quality of the call, is the same as if both users were connected to an edge network.

I have additionally verified that the calls we've made, 2 minutes long, we've to discount the consumption of data that's done while the call is established, or what's the same, what we might pay if the opposite side did not catch us the call. As I've been able to check the data consumption of the call establishment if it's between 10-20 kb, nearly negligible.

Finally, before establishing consumption per minute I also have to take into consideration how talkative both parties are to the call. I've been able to see how a silent call consumes up to 25th less data than a call without stopping to speak.

It is assumed that no-one is going to make a call not to talk, but that there's to take into consideration this point, which makes it even harder to calculate the consumption.

In calls with at least one of the telephones connected to the 2G network, the data consumption is around 200 KB, always according to the level of coverage we've and the rhythm of the conversation. In the case of counting at least the 2 phones with 3G, the average consumption per minute is 300 KB whereas if both parties have 4G the consumption per minute won't be lower than 500 KB.

These are the results I have obtained from my tests, during which I have forced 2 Android smartphones to connect to completely different networks to see how the consumption depends on the network that we've less.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by mubarak1996(m): 5:32pm On Apr 03, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by taylor89(m): 5:33pm On Apr 03, 2018
grin[center][/center]
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Academicwizman(m): 8:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
Good job!
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Yhunoos: 9:08pm On Apr 03, 2018
Like you read my mind, just today after a whatsapp call I was wondering how much data I had consumed.
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 03, 2018
I made 4hrs of whatsapp call on 4G and i was surprised i was charged 13mb on mtn

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by AceRoot(m): 10:41pm On Apr 03, 2018
I most recently made a 3G whatsapp call from Asokoro, Abuja to Cambridge Circle, Chicago for 11 minutes, and used 3.5Mb.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by friendlyenemy: 1:30am On Apr 04, 2018
Come along and click the signature if you wanna get first class free tutorials and tools that matches all kind of hustle..... If you know you know.
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by kode12: 7:33am On Apr 04, 2018
The amount of data consumed depends on a lot of factor but most important, will be the amount of audio information that has to be sampled. So for example, a call made in a noisy environment will consume a little more than that made in a very quiet location. For optimum user experience, Whatsapp will have some kind of feature akin to PMTUD that detects the end to end network speed and tries to modify frame sizes to ensure fastest delivery. VOIP calls utilize UDP for transport, and naturally they're very low overhead protocols that are quiet efficient regardless of network speed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by omocalabar(m): 7:54am On Apr 04, 2018
Nice work..I once made a 1hr30mins call was charge abt 450mb

1 Like

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Ifebaby16(m): 7:57am On Apr 04, 2018
wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by FestacGirl(f): 7:57am On Apr 04, 2018
This is very false.
You can't even get an approximate Data Bandwidth. That's left for the server to decide.
So you saying 2g uses up to 400KB And 3G uses up to 600KB and 4G uses up to 1MB is totally crap.
There are 2g(EDGE) Which are swift and very responsive for light browsing and at the end of the day they wouldn't be any different in bandidth connection of those on 4G lte.
Do you think the server knows you're connected to lte or 3G?? I t tests the speed of your network and places you on the best Line.
Just like watching a video on youtube. You might be placed on 144p or 240 or 480 or 720 depending on your Speed.
There are times a 4G network would be slower than a 3g network..
Your write up would have made more sense if you had said the consumption depends on your network speed. Shikena.

12 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by yomalex(m): 7:59am On Apr 04, 2018
interesting research
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by wickyyolo: 8:01am On Apr 04, 2018
omocalabar:

You can lie. You probably was downloading mojo while on call

28 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by zone51: 8:03am On Apr 04, 2018
AceRoot:
I most recently made a 3G whatsapp call from Asokoro, Abuja to Cambridge Circle, Chicago for 11 minutes, and used 3.5Mb.

3.5MB for 11minutes? shocked shocked shocked, that's unbelievable. below is my history of a call to Brooklyn 8MB for 42mins cool

2 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by omocalabar(m): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2018
wickyyolo:

You can lie. You probably was downloading mojo while on call
no sir...I was making call...though it might have been more than 2hrs Sha...but I certainly was charged 450mb
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by shapman: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2018
omocalabar:

Hian! You on 10G?!!

5 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by dasphinx1(m): 8:13am On Apr 04, 2018
FestacGirl:
This is very false.
You can't even get an approximate Data Bandwidth. That's left for the server to decide.
So you saying 2g uses up to 400KB And 3G uses up to 600KB and 4G uses up to 1MB is totally crap.
There are 2g(EDGE) Which are swift and very responsive for light browsing and at the end of the day they wouldn't be any different in bandidth connection of those on 4G lte.
Do you think the server knows you're connected to lte or 3G?? I t tests the speed of your network and places you on the best Line.
Just like watching a video on youtube. You might be placed on 144p or 240 or 480 or 720 depending on your Speed.
There are times a 4G network would be slower than a 3g network..
Your write up would have made more sense if you had said the consumption depends on your network speed. Shikena.

*clapping*
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by omocalabar(m): 8:15am On Apr 04, 2018
shapman:

Hian! You on 10G?!!
Maybe it's cos of my settings

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by sujexy(m): 8:16am On Apr 04, 2018
omocalabar:
no sir...I was making call...though it might have been more than 2hrs Sha...but I certainly was charged 450mb
I sincerely dout this...maybe u didn't check well....
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by JhyMedex: 8:18am On Apr 04, 2018
ama need to try dis sometime..
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by PrincessB1(f): 8:18am On Apr 04, 2018
Nice research
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by shapman: 8:26am On Apr 04, 2018
omocalabar:
Network?
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by ipobarecriminals: 8:38am On Apr 04, 2018
sad poverty and calculator.meanwhile, it shall not be well with Glo for tapping /zapping my çredit .u load 1000,b4 3rd day,the whole thing Don grow wing /disappear. And Airtel dey do their own in bit.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Ibegtodiffer: 8:40am On Apr 04, 2018
Yhunoos:
Like you read my mind, just today after a whatsapp call I was wondering how much data I was consumed.

HEY! JISUS.. See grammar!

6 Likes

Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Ihatelove(f): 8:47am On Apr 04, 2018
i hate whatsap calls angry
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by henry007(m): 8:48am On Apr 04, 2018
Not much
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by richybanky(m): 8:48am On Apr 04, 2018
omocalabar:
How can someone check data used in making calls/video call on whatsapp?
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Ismaeelazeez: 9:04am On Apr 04, 2018
PLS. MUST BOTH THE CALLER AND RECEIVER HAVE DATA ON THEIR FAN?
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Ismaeelazeez: 9:06am On Apr 04, 2018
Ismaeelazeez:
PLS. MUST BOTH THE CALLER AND RECEIVER HAVE DATA ON THEIR PHONE?
Re: How Much Data Does A Whatsapp Call Use? It Depends And Here Is Why by Infamous(m): 9:25am On Apr 04, 2018
Ihatelove:
i hate whatsap calls angry
What do you even like?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Unveils 'Man In The Box' In Lagos - Pictures / Glo Introduces ‘no Conditions’ Tariff Plan: Offers 25k Per Second / How To Share Glo Data On Glo Self-care Portal (hsi.glo.com)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.