Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,100 members, 7,842,167 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country (612 Views)

Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors / Nigeria Medical Association Explains Why Doctors Are Leaving The Country / 38,000 Nigerian Doctors Are Working In The Diaspora- Eko University Of Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by IbnIbrahim: 9:30pm On Apr 03, 2018
There has been a reported massive brain drain in the medical sector in recent years as many medical doctors are leaving the country on daily basis.

Nigerian doctors have been migrating to U.S, Canada, Saudi Arabia, the UK and many other nations across the globe, investigations reveal.

Statistics from General Medical Council (GMC) UK, as at July 2017 shows that over 4,765 Nigerian doctors are working in the UK. This is 1.7 per cent of the total of the UK’s medical workforce.

Also, experts say the ratio of medical practitioners to patients in the country is very low. Official records reveal that Nigeria currently has one doctor to attend to 3, 500 patients in the country, which is a far cry to the WHO recommendation of one doctor to 600 patients.

According to a new survey by Nigerian Polling organization (NOIPolls), 8 out of every 10 medical doctors in Nigeria are currently seeking work opportunities abroad, and this includes junior, mid and senior level doctors in both public and private medical institutions.

The following are the major reasons why Nigerian doctors are leaving in droves:

1. High taxes and salary deductions are one reason, 98% of the respondents gave.

2. 92% of the medical personnel says there is very low work satisfaction in Nigeria.

3. Poor salaries and emoluments are a big problem for 91% of the medical personnel.

4. The knowledge gap in the medical field between Nigeria and these other countries is a source of concern.

5. Poor quality of practice was stated by 8% of Nigerian medical staff as a reason for wanting to leave.

6. Poor relationship among colleagues

7. Inadequate opportunities for career growth

8. Poor working environment

9. Lack of proper infrastructure

10. Poor treatment by government

11. Insecurity.

Credits: premium times, Naij.com.

Dominique
Lalasticlala
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by vikacydevato(m): 9:40pm On Apr 03, 2018
OK!
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by IbnIbrahim: 10:09pm On Apr 03, 2018
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by mankan2k7(m): 10:12pm On Apr 03, 2018
Greed and lack of respect for other health professionals is a major factor in Nigeria
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by DrPurple(m): 12:32am On Apr 04, 2018
Doctors Are Not Treated Well In Nigeria, So Niggas Have To Find Their Way
#Purple
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by sweetilicious(f): 6:33am On Apr 04, 2018
My In-law was considering Leaving to Australia. The only barrier is that my sister has been promoted to a higher rank with CBN and there is no certainty she will get a job there to be supportive. But they are working on it.
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by Phythondancer(f): 8:50am On Apr 04, 2018
The list is endless and conditions deplorable, three of my course mates from the university left last month alone.
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by IbnIbrahim: 11:03am On Apr 04, 2018
sweetilicious:
My In-law was considering Leaving to Australia. The only barrier is that my sister has been promoted to a higher rank with CBN and there is no certainty she will get a job there to be supportive. But they are working on it.

With her experience and certifications, I am confident she will definitely get a job, it is just a matter of time. Of course, one has to weigh the options to make a strategic decision.
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by IbnIbrahim: 11:04am On Apr 04, 2018
Phythondancer:
The list is endless and conditions deplorable, three of my course mates from the university left last month alone.

Even though it is not easy there too, you know your hustle has a destination.
Re: 11 Reasons Why Nigerian Doctors Are Trying To Leave The Country by Phythondancer(f): 2:22pm On Apr 04, 2018
IbnIbrahim:

Even though it is not easy there too, you know your hustle has a destination.
i agree and wont blame them. i hope things get better.

(1) (Reply)

Natural Man Power Booster / Pimples Wants To Destroy My Face, Please Recommend Natural Remedy / Natural Treatments For Gastritis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.