Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop (19182 Views)

I Need A Neat Second Hand Laptop / What Specs Can I Get On A Second Hand Laptop With This Budget? / Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 1:08am On Apr 13, 2018
MizyB:

Wow! Comprehensive! Thanks for the hard work sir.

When buying a used laptop, is it possible to detect if the laptop was stolen or not?

It will be very hard to detect, just mk sure you're buying from a good seller and not from road side, most times you will know its a stolen laptop if price is just too cheap.

Always ask for receipt, you do a little search about the company on CAC if it registered and make sure the serial number on the reciept is same with the one the laptop.

2 Likes

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 1:12am On Apr 13, 2018
INCREDIBLEGUY:
guys please I need your advice as,, I am new to laptop things,, should I buy this laptop at the rate of 100k,HP250 G6,, It has 4gb ram, core 13,,, and also,, I discovered it's the laptop raining now,, cause virtually all the store I went to,,, around ring road,, they all seem to have it,,,,,,,,, please your advice n3eded, cause I would want to use it for gaming,,,, movies,,,,typing,,,, and browsing,,,,,,, please,,, I don't know if I should buy it,, or can any body recommend for me,, from either lenovo or HP,,,,, brand new laptop tho,,, thanks,,,,
For gaming? Naa don't buy it if you want to use it for gaming.

If you want laptop for gaming, get a laptop with 2gb+ dedicated graphic card with Nvidia chip.

Yeah hp250 is reigning just like hp 15 no much difference,but concerning that gaming, won't advice u to.
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by MizyB(f): 6:54pm On Apr 13, 2018
udemzyudex:

It will be very hard to detect, just mk sure you're buying from a good seller and not from road side, most times you will know its a stolen laptop if price is just too cheap.

Always ask for receipt, you do a little search about the company on CAC if it registered and make sure the serial number on the reciept is same with the one the laptop.

thank u very much sir. You've been very helpful

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Viralmilez(m): 1:59pm On Apr 18, 2018
udemzyudex:

For gaming? Naa don't buy it if you want to use it for gaming.

If you want laptop for gaming, get a laptop with 2gb+ dedicated graphic card with Nvidia chip.

Yeah hp250 is reigning just like hp 15 no much difference,but concerning that gaming, won't advice u to.

Which laptop will be good for video editing and gaming?? Video editing especially pls
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by udemzyudex(m): 4:18pm On Apr 18, 2018
Viralmilez:

Which laptop will be good for video editing and gaming?? Video editing especially pls

Just get a laptop with at least core 2gb dedicated graphic, core i5 and 16gb ram, you can get 8gb ram then upgrade it later.

1 Like

Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Viralmilez(m): 7:29pm On Apr 18, 2018
udemzyudex:

Just get a laptop with at least core 2gb dedicated graphic, core i5 and 16gb ram, you can get 8gb ram then upgrade it later.

Thanks
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by cooldipo(m): 2:23am On Apr 19, 2018
Insightful read!

Well done Op
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by Qhalifah: 9:37am On Oct 15, 2018
udemzyudex:
1. Take a look at the carcass, make sure there is no broken part and the body is okay.

2. Hold the top and bend it a little as if you want to close the laptop, this will allow you to notice if the hinges is broken or not screwed well. Also when u do it that way, it will allow you to notice if the screen flickers, which means the signal cable might be bad or the screen. Request for a change.

3. Check the screw holes to see if the laptop has been repaired, if it has been tampered with you will definitely see screw driver marks or different screw size or color.
Note: some engineers can open a laptop without you even noticing any sign.

4. Open the laptop and make the top carcass stand vertically, stand close to it and see if the screen is okay.
There are some bad screen you won't notice if you're just looking at it at the front, unless you take a closer look.

Look out for any white or black spot.

5. Open notepad to test the keyboard, make sure all the keys are working (you might not be able to check all the function keys if they are working if vga is not driven.)

From the letters to numbers, shift, arrow keys for left, right, down and up to tab keys, check them out. If one key is not working, then ask for change.

6. Check the speaker, play music with laptop and make sure no cracking sound is heard, check WiFi, connect your phone to see if it working.

7. Check camera, if the laptop have cam check it and make sure it is working well, check all USB ports.

I'll advice you use external keyboard, external USB mouse or USB flash to check all the USB ports to confirm they are working well.

Some faulty USB port will charge your phone but won't detect the phone, so don't use your phone to check.

8. Check dvd rom, insert a good disc and see how fast it loads, if it takes longer time or doesn't load ask for a change. (unless laptop doesn't come with one)

9. Some times the only way to test if the hdd is good is how fast the operating system take to load, since most engineers don't install the software to check hdd health.
Just make sure it is not taking forever to boot into desktop.

10. Check the battery, make sure it is charging, and the ba3 indicator is plug in charging, allow the battery to increase (charge) then remove the charger and play music or video with it, see how quickly it reduce.

If it reduce quickly, then the battery is bad.

11. Ask for original charger, original charger cable are always thick and body look dull (not shiny)

New charger looks shiny, kinda light and cable is not that thick.

Some laptop develops fault due to bad charger, so ask for original charger and if the engineer doesn't have, you can negotiate with him to remove the amount from the price so you get one yourself.

I didn't talk about the ram, processor and hdd size here, cos I believe you already know what you want to buy and how many ram size you need.
They also determine the price too, you can negotiate.

It's advice able you read reviews concerning a particular laptop you want to buy, some problems are specific to a particular laptop, though it still depends on how you use it. Reading reviews will make you decide better.

Cc: MizyB
Jesu.....baba hope you work at Ikeja so someone can contact you when he wants to buy....some sellers are bastard, you ll check and check and u no go see anything
Re: Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop by africanman85: 9:19pm On Oct 15, 2018
udemzyudex:

Do u stay in Computer village ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Ma Modem No Longer Recognises Sim Card! / Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration / I Forgot The Password To My Laptop, Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.