Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari (19188 Views)

Why Nigeria Didn’t Sign ECOWAS Economic Partnership Agreement – President Buhari / Breaking: Lagos, Kano Govts Agree On Economic Partnership / Ortom: Why I Refused To Welcome Buhari In Lafia, Nasarawa" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by 15Ebisco: 6:42pm On Apr 05, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari, Thursday in Abuja explained why he refused to sign Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) among ECOWAS countries.

He said this was because of the need to protect the economy, especially the industries and small businesses that currently provide jobs for majority Nigerians.

Buhari spoke while receiving a Letter of Credence from the Head of Delegation of the European Union to Nigeria, Ketil Iversen Karlsen, at the State House, Abuja.

The President noted that the signing of the agreement will expose the industries and small businesses to external pressures and competitions, which could lead to closures and job losses.

“We are not enthusiastic about signing the EPA because of our largely youthful population. We are still struggling to provide jobs for them, and we want our youths to be kept busy.

“Presently, our industries cannot compete with the more efficient and highly technologically driven industries in Europe. We have to protect our industries and our youths,’’ he said.

Buhari, who commended the EU for its support for the rehabilitation of the North East, noted that the Nigerian economy was already being repositioned to attract more investments that will create jobs.

President Buhari said his administration will continually promote the culture of honesty and integrity in service, which will guarantee a better future for the youth.

“Our insistence on probity is to encourage people to be accountable, and accept honesty as a lifestyle so as to secure the future of our youths,’’ he said.

The President said more than 60 percent of Nigerians fall into the age category of youths and deserve to inherit a stable and prosperous country that they can be proud of, adding that the government will work assiduously to prevent waste and the depletion of resources by corrupt Nigerians.

In his remarks, Karlsen said the EU will continue to support President Buhari’s administration in the key priorities it listed; security, economy and the fight against corruption.

He said the EPA was designed to accommodate and protect some economies that would find it difficult to compete.

“We are hopeful that there will be a signature on the agreement,’’ he added.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/04/why-i-refused-to-sign-ecowas-economic.html

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by pembisco(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari is like the mumu guy for our street weh go impregnate the girl weh everybody de enjoy. You don't need any DNA test to know the results of his bad and evil governance

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Kizyte(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
This one will just be giving silly excuses up and down. Buhari need a good Economist as an Economic Adviser

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by apesinola001: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
shocked cool
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Politicowizard(m): 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
OK na
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by NwaAmaikpe: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
shocked

The only reason you refused to sign the ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement is because you are a dullard.

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Josnac(m): 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
An optimally confused man be forming friend of the youths because 2019 is near.

How are they even sure he understood what they asked him to sign

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by AnambraDota: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
Animal
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Vickram: 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
It is well
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Vickram: 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari, if na money for purchase of military equipment u go sharply sign am bxcos u go get ur share of d cash, just remember 6ft in any thing u are doing.

11 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by DrHighchief(m): 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
#
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by AnambraDota: 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
Idiot Man cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
Abegi
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by greatsly: 7:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
This is a great decision by the President. All over the world leaders sign agreement/partnerships that seek to protect the Economic and political interest of their countries.

the EPA if signed will simply make Nigeria a dumping ground for cheap goods manufactured in Europe and thereby lead to closure of already struggling industries. we are a large market in Africa and we must guard it jealously for our own interest.

84 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari is a Taliban Mafia.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Okrikabail: 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari na goat.... Greatest of all time

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Omooniya1: 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
Toh we hear!!!
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by ipasco: 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2018
Brilliant @least... speaking from an entrepreneurs point of view.

20 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by letusbepieces: 7:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
ECOWAS DID NOT SUPPORT KILLING OF BIAFRANS.

ECOWAS DID NOT SUPPORT THE MURDER OF NNAMDI KANU.

ECOWAS DID NOT SUPPORT FULANI AGENDA.

ECOWAS COURT DID NOT DO AS BUHARI SAY.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by bigpicture001: 7:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
it's a very good move by the President, but a very stupid reason given..nigeria is the most industrialised west african.nation so his excuse is not valid.instead the reason his decision is ok,is cuz of the lack of competitiveness of our local produce, not in the genuienty,but on the cost of production. our lack of infrastructure is driving the cost of our local produce to be relatively expensive among other west African state

6 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by promise4040: 7:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari Weda U Like It Or Not You are going back to daura to take care of your homosexual cows.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by AAlozie(m): 7:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
What do you know about business?
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Ademat7(m): 7:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
though i dislike PMB but i must give him thumbs up on this one

16 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by fukushaki(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
Buhari is a fool
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by Flyingngel(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
Look at the above comments, no body seems to understand what is written there. Nigerian youth, una no try oo.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by gmoni2(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
protectionist economic policy doesn't work in this global village, you have to upgrade our infrastructures and open a lot of technical schools like Germany to be the Economic powerhouse in West Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by boxypane(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The only reason you refused to sign the ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement is because you are a dullard.

We don't need to type sometimes...

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by jibbish(m): 7:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
Most of the pole please commenting are just pure dullard who has nothing to offer.

PMB please make the best decision for our best interest.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by lajuto: 7:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by babdap: 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2018
Cluelessness gone regional.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Sign ECOWAS’ Economic Partnership Agreement – Buhari by LastSurvivor11: 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2018
Your decision "might" be right but the truth is that we have run out of confidence in you sir..

U have proven to be an unprecedented failure...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Just In: I’m Not In Abuja, But Monitoring - Melaye / I Didn't Buy N187m Official Vehicle, Sanwo-olu Replies PDP / Some Senators Attend Reps Plenary Out Of Ignorance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.