Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,224 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst (3847 Views)

How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD / Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / Would One Be Arrested If Driving A Car With A Cracked Windscreen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by ajoks533: 7:37pm On Apr 05, 2018
So I got a call today, "Oga the catalyst on this car needs to be cut open and removed"... You say wetin? ... Before I can even understand he said he has cut it open and freed the exhaust...
Please can a Toyota Highlander 2002 perform well without a catalyst?
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by dammytosh: 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2018
Open a filling station.

Best of luck my broda

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Kingdante(m): 8:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
Yes it can.... my 2 cars don’t have, my Toyota Camry 2010 drives normal and all.... the only slight difference is that it consumes more fuel with is slightly noticeable anyway......... my advice after removing the catalyst tell them to put in a pacer or some panel beater have stuffs they forge and put inside or better still you can get a new catalyst and get it installed.
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:00pm On Apr 05, 2018
You guys don't even feel for the environment chei sad cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by aieromon(m): 10:14pm On Apr 05, 2018
ajoks533:
So I got a call today, "Oga the catalyst on this car needs to be cut open and removed"... You say wetin? ... Before I can even understand he said he has cut it open and freed the exhaust...

Who is the Oga here,you or the mechanic who makes modifications on your vehicle with/without your consent?

2 Likes

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 10:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
Kingdante:
Yes it can.... my 2 cars don’t have, my Toyota Camry 2010 drives normal and all.... the only slight difference is that it consumes more fuel with is slightly noticeable anyway......... my advice after removing the catalyst tell them to put in a pacer or some panel beater have stuffs they forge and put inside or better still you can get a new catalyst and get it installed.

Evil advice cheesy
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Kingdante(m): 10:54pm On Apr 05, 2018
mayor2013:

Evil advice cheesy

Bros no b evil ooo..... na where I know reach I talk
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 11:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
Kingdante:

Bros no b evil ooo..... na where I know reach I talk

Ok na. You would just need a new engine that's all
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Kingdante(m): 11:06pm On Apr 05, 2018
mayor2013:

Ok na. You would just need a new engine that's all

For using a pacer? Or using a new catalyst? How na? If it’s about the mesh used by some panel beaters I agree with you sha ..... but it’s not a must that the engine will and must die..... that is actually better than having the pot empty.
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by autologic: 4:13am On Apr 06, 2018
Kingdante:

For using a pacer? Or using a new catalyst? How na? If it’s about the mesh used by some panel beaters I agree with you sha ..... but it’s not a must that the engine will and must die..... that is actually better than having the pot empty.
It is much much better to drive without catalyst than choking your engine to death by stuffing your exhaust with undesiredable dirty element .
If you cannot afford the expensive original catalyst ,leave it bare or use spacer.
Finally ,u need to know that effect of catalyst absence on fuel is not significant as exaggerated by most people .The main purpose of cat is to filter out toxic exhaust gases .

2 Likes

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Sunymoore(m): 6:03am On Apr 06, 2018
Prepare for extreme fuel consumption is your back pressure is affected
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:25am On Apr 06, 2018
autologic:

It is much much better to drive without catalyst than choking your engine to death by stuffing your exhaust with undesiredable dirty element .
If you cannot afford the expensive original catalyst ,leave it bare or use spacer.
Finally ,u need to know that effect of catalyst absence on fuel is not significant as exaggerated by most people .The main purpose of cat is to filter out toxic exhaust gases .

I assume u r referring to the second cat underneath the vehicle...... no?
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by bravolad(m): 7:30am On Apr 06, 2018
ajoks533:

I wondering what kind of mechanic you have that will cut off you catalyst converter without your express approval & knowledge. Apparently, he has a high level control over you.

What was wrong with the catalyst? Are you sure it was faulty & how did he or you determine that? I hope he hasn't played a smart one on you?

Rather than stuff anything in their, drive the car like that but remember it won't be environmental friendly & you will have a slightly higher mpg & the sound of your car will also change & gradually damage your engine.

Personally, I will suggest parking the car until you can afford to replace it.
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by autologic: 9:14am On Apr 06, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I assume u r referring to the second cat underneath the vehicle...... no?
What is no?
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by ajoks533: 9:43am On Apr 06, 2018
I actually took the car for repairs as it was smoking badly and was told fuel mixes with the oil. So after the whole repairs, he called to say the car is not sounding normal as if it was having difficulties breathing and which I noticed before the smoking issue. He said the manifold was redhot, and on a proper check he discovered it was blocked. In fact all three (Front, rear and center) were bad.
bravolad:

I wondering what kind of mechanic you have that will cut off you catalyst converter without your express approval & knowledge. Apparently, he has a high level control over you.

What was wrong with the catalyst? Are you sure it was faulty & how did he or you determine that? I hope he hasn't played a smart one on you?

Rather than stuff anything in their, drive the car like that but remember it won't be environmental friendly & you will have a slightly higher mpg & the sound of your car will also change & gradually damage your engine.

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Mrcharming(m): 7:46am On Apr 07, 2018
Missing Cat can’t damage your engine....the assertion is incorrect, pls.

bravolad:

Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 7:53am On Apr 07, 2018
Mrcharming:

Pull off from recent vehicles you would have yourself to blame
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by autologic: 8:32am On Apr 07, 2018
Mrcharming:

Spot on
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 8:42am On Apr 07, 2018
mayor2013:

Pull off from recent vehicles you would have yourself to blame

Eg of recent vehicles Can u please explain how missing CAT will damage an engine
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2018
thebigkendo:

Eg of recent vehicles Can u please explain how missing CAT will damage an engine

Are u on the field at all or you are here for theories. I do not need to explain anything about this.... Get to the field of play and carry out some experiments.

N.B: carry out the experiment at your own risk and with your ride. Mayor never said the above grin grin
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07, 2018
mayor2013:

Are u on the field at all or you are here for theories. I do not need to explain anything about this.... Get to the field of play and carry out some experiments.

N.B: carry out the experiment at your own risk and with your ride. Mayor never said the above grin grin

Drove my car for a year with P0420 & no CAT, Installed a spacer like 3 months ago just to clear the MIL.. So experiment has been performed.. Car is 06 Accord, I guess it is not a "recent vehicle"..

No significant difference in MPG with or without CAT or spacer..
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 5:40pm On Apr 07, 2018
thebigkendo:

Drove my car for a year with P0420 & no CAT, Installed a spacer like 3 months ago just to clear the MIL.. So experiment has been performed.. Car is 06 Accord, I guess it is not a "recent vehicle"..

No significant difference in MPG with or without CAT or spacer..

Like you said it's not a recent vehicle. Go try it on a beemar wink
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by thebigkendo(m): 6:50pm On Apr 07, 2018
mayor2013:

Like you said it's not a recent vehicle. Go try it on a beemar wink

Dat was why I asked example of recent cars you were talking about.. The term you used "recent vehicles" is very vague..

We learn everyday

I will like to know how lack of CAT will damage a recent Beemer engine... I read somewhere that Beemer engines are like "armoured tanks"
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by erico2k2(m): 7:07pm On Apr 07, 2018
Kingdante:

4get mesh, tricks they play you ot,The internet is at ur finger tips do research on waht materials is used to make the cat converter and tell me if a mesh can function same,Read up the use of cat convertors plz angry
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by erico2k2(m): 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2018
thebigkendo:

Dat was why I asked example of recent cars you were talking about.. The term you used "recent vehicles" is very vague..

We learn everyday

I will like to know how lack of CAT will damage a recent Beemer engine... I read somewhere that Beemer engines are like "armoured tanks"
your heated O2 sensor is after your cat in these BMW, so wrong readings streight away. which means no accurate Air fuel mix ratio, you want me to go on? grin grin
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by erico2k2(m): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2018
ajoks533:
I actually took the car for repairs as it was smoking badly and was told fuel mixes with the oil. So after the whole repairs, he called to say the car is not sounding normal as if it was having difficulties breathing and which I noticed before the smoking issue. He said the manifold was redhot, and on a proper check he discovered it was blocked. In fact all three (Front, rear and center) were bad.
But was the smoking fixed??
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 7:17pm On Apr 07, 2018
thebigkendo:

We learn everyday

You talk about cheat Toyota and honda were you install spacers has any one installed spacers on a beemar. Pick up your books and read. I wouldn't be in the right position to tutor you through this.
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 7:18pm On Apr 07, 2018
erico2k2:

your heated O2 sensor is after your cat in these BMW, so wrong readings streight away. which means no accurate Air fuel mix ratio, you want me to go on? grin grin

Let him continue arguing blindly there. He wants me to tutor him on this while he uses his internet to go on attacking what is not.
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Kingdante(m): 10:24pm On Apr 07, 2018
erico2k2:

4get mesh, tricks they play you ot,The internet is at ur finger tips do research on waht materials is used to make the cat converter and tell me if a mesh can function same,Read up the use of cat convertors plz angry

Already did...... but u can’t say the mesh is totally useless tho
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by mayor2013: 10:27pm On Apr 07, 2018
Kingdante:

Already did...... but u can’t say the mesh is totally useless tho

By the time back pressure is sent back to your engine you would know how useless the mesh is
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by Lexusgs430: 11:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
You guys don't even feel for the environment chei sad cry

Which environment? The abuse of generators, excessive traffic congestion + cars without a catalytic converter, are simply doing their best to poison us all......

Noise Pollution from churches + blaring horns nko? The environment is simply beyond redemption........
Re: Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst by ajoks533: 7:51am On Apr 08, 2018
OK... The story got a bit twisted now and I have been having serious headache... I was supposed to go pick my car up on Friday evening. I called a family friend who sales car parts at Aba Auto Spare Parts Market. He said I can actually use a center Cat from a different car at cheap price to replace the cat under the car and the 'Y' shaped Cat... He advised I should by the original Cat for the front. I enquired from 2 other mechanics and I was told I can go ahead with the plan.
On getting to where my dear car was, I was told that the worst has happened. "Oga, I go test the car finish, brought it back for the panel beater to work on the exhaust as it was leaking, he started the car and fired it and the car gave one sound and stopped... Since then it has refused to revolve"
I was left in a confused state, weda to slap him or hit him with an iron I saw lying on the ground. I just summoned courage and left the place. Called the colleague who directed me to the guy and told him to call his mech to fix my car before Thursday or face my other side.
Am just heartbroken right now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Second Hand Fuelpump And New One Fuel Pump / P0335 Code On A Infiniti. NISSPART: HELP / Please Help With 2010 Honda Crosstour Navigation Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.