Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,139 members, 7,821,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff (21971 Views)

David Lyon Calls Tinubu "My Leader" During Visit / APC Crisis: Oyegun Launches Counter Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff / Obiano Begins Re-Election Campaign: Live At Ekwueme Square - PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by nairavsdollars(f): 9:23am On Apr 06, 2018
*Tinubu May Back Oshiomhole
*Oyegun Is Incompetent Says Igbokwe

By
Temidayo Akinsuyi

Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, embattled National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), is already making moves to retain his position at the forthcoming convention of the party scheduled for June.

He will, however, have to square up with some contending forces in the party who are hell-bent on his ouster after the completion of his first term.

The anti-Oyegun forces are believed to be led by Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State, and head of the party’s reconciliation team.

Leading the pack are Governors Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State and Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State.

Speaking with newsmen after Tuesday’s meeting with President Buhari, Rochas Okorocha, Chairman of APC Governors’ Forum and governor of Imo State, confirmed Oyegun’s plan to seek re-election when he clarified some points.

He said: “But let me correct one impression, the issue of congress and convention does not mean that the previous people who have served the party have done badly, and it does not mean that they cannot come back, or that they cannot re-contest. That is not it.

“We are simply saying that their tenure has ended and those who wish to re-contest can re-contest and can be elected to our party structure.

“So, we are all one as a family and we are set to go for the 2019 elections in victory.”

Though many stakeholders in the APC have alluded to the key role Tinubu played in Oyegun’s emergence, the embattled national chairman in an interview at his Benin residence last year debunked the claim, and said no single individual assisted him to occupy the exalted position.

“I don’t believe one particular person solely assisted me to this position, everybody assisted me and, someday, the story of how I became chairman of APC will be told.

“You will then see that everybody did assist me to become national chairman.

“This means that I am there for everybody. I don’t belong to any camp in the APC. I belong to all members of APC, high and below,” Oyegun had said.

However, in an interview, Chief Charles Idahosa, an APC chieftain in Benin, countered Oyegun’s claim.

“I can tell you that, that is a lie. How can he say Tinubu and Oshiomhole did not play any role? Asiwaju Bola Tinubu threw all his strength into making him the national chairman. You know, they were in NADECO together.

“So, we were not surprised because both of them have known each other for a long time. I know all these because I was an insider.

“For Oyegun to now go to Abuja and be saying what the president will want to hear, is not good at all.

“Oyegun knew what we did to make him national chairman. Tom Ikimi had already gone unopposed from Edo State.

“We had to call a State Working Committee meeting to say there is another person from Edo State who is interested in the position.

“I spoke to the state chairman of APC who is still alive; I spoke to then governor, Adams Oshiomhole, that this is what we should do because we are not very sure of Ikimi.

Read more https://independent.ng/oyegun-begins-re-election-moves-calls-tinubus-bluff/

1 Like

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Nwodosis(m): 9:24am On Apr 06, 2018
grin
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by NigelCundy: 9:34am On Apr 06, 2018
Buhari's supporters are dragging Nigeria backward

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by fashoo2010(m): 9:35am On Apr 06, 2018
My mind tells me he won't win.. They will work against him..

14 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by CowHard: 9:36am On Apr 06, 2018
Good move able chairman..... Tinubu should go and take care of his decaying teeth

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by omowolewa: 9:51am On Apr 06, 2018
There is no crime in trying, it's a nice way to get the needed factions that preceeds the fall of any party.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by omocalabar(m): 9:53am On Apr 06, 2018
WAR==old men talking, young men fighting

3 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by nabegibeg: 9:54am On Apr 06, 2018
nairavsdollars:
*Tinubu May Back Oshiomhole
*Oyegun Is Incompetent Says Igbokwe

By
Temidayo Akinsuyi

Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, embattled National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), is already making moves to retain his position at the forthcoming convention of the party scheduled for June.

He will, however, have to square up with some contending forces in the party who are hell-bent on his ouster after the completion of his first term.

The anti-Oyegun forces are believed to be led by Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State, and head of the party’s reconciliation team.

Leading the pack are Governors Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State and Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State.

Speaking with newsmen after Tuesday’s meeting with President Buhari, Rochas Okorocha, Chairman of APC Governors’ Forum and governor of Imo State, confirmed Oyegun’s plan to seek re-election when he clarified some points.

He said: “But let me correct one impression, the issue of congress and convention does not mean that the previous people who have served the party have done badly, and it does not mean that they cannot come back, or that they cannot re-contest. That is not it.

“We are simply saying that their tenure has ended and those who wish to re-contest can re-contest and can be elected to our party structure.

“So, we are all one as a family and we are set to go for the 2019 elections in victory.”

Though many stakeholders in the APC have alluded to the key role Tinubu played in Oyegun’s emergence, the embattled national chairman in an interview at his Benin residence last year debunked the claim, and said no single individual assisted him to occupy the exalted position.

“I don’t believe one particular person solely assisted me to this position, everybody assisted me and, someday, the story of how I became chairman of APC will be told.

“You will then see that everybody did assist me to become national chairman.

“This means that I am there for everybody. I don’t belong to any camp in the APC. I belong to all members of APC, high and below,” Oyegun had said.

However, in an interview, Chief Charles Idahosa, an APC chieftain in Benin, countered Oyegun’s claim.

“I can tell you that, that is a lie. How can he say Tinubu and Oshiomhole did not play any role? Asiwaju Bola Tinubu threw all his strength into making him the national chairman. You know, they were in NADECO together.

“So, we were not surprised because both of them have known each other for a long time. I know all these because I was an insider.

“For Oyegun to now go to Abuja and be saying what the president will want to hear, is not good at all.

“Oyegun knew what we did to make him national chairman. Tom Ikimi had already gone unopposed from Edo State.

“We had to call a State Working Committee meeting to say there is another person from Edo State who is interested in the position.

“I spoke to the state chairman of APC who is still alive; I spoke to then governor, Adams Oshiomhole, that this is what we should do because we are not very sure of Ikimi.

Read more https://independent.ng/oyegun-begins-re-election-moves-calls-tinubus-bluff/

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by akeentech(m): 9:54am On Apr 06, 2018
peroschinda:
Victory is all that matters
If he wins good, better than tenure elongation
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by qualityovenbake(m): 9:54am On Apr 06, 2018
Oyegun will boldly resist and Challenge Tinubu.

1 Like

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 06, 2018
Do they all believe in one term in office Who are these fools deceiving sef cheesy cheesy
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Nobody: 9:56am On Apr 06, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Dizu(m): 9:57am On Apr 06, 2018
His chances are very slim, I think it is a good development for the disintegration of the party..... PDP TAKE OVER

4 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Firefire(m): 9:59am On Apr 06, 2018
Fight to death!

3 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by lascopes(m): 10:00am On Apr 06, 2018
Mr Oyegun, show them say you be original Edo pikin. Tinubu don mislead people too much

3 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by autotrader014(m): 10:00am On Apr 06, 2018
The greatest mistake Nigerians ever made was allowing this people deceive them with change mantra. I warned them, but they didnt listen.. undecided

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Aliru: 10:01am On Apr 06, 2018
Oyegun should go. He is very ineffective as APC Chairman. There's the need to elect a new APC Chairman that will command the respect of all stakeholders in the party. Oshiomole is the man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by RZArecta2(m): 10:02am On Apr 06, 2018
Idiót people, idiót party cool

1 Like

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 06, 2018
which kind yeye journalism be this? who does not know that Oyegun will re-contest? they just picked old quotes from Rochas and a year old quotes from Oyegun and Idahosa; kabooom, them use am formulate outrageous headline. this government really needs to ban so many media houses for junk and lazy journalism.

6 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Flyingngel(m): 10:05am On Apr 06, 2018
Ok
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by denjjy(m): 10:05am On Apr 06, 2018
if everyone must step on JAGABAN toes it shouldn't be this ruling party national chairman that cannot deliver his polling units. Shame on him

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by fasho01(m): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2018
I wonder how people expect a party like APC with a lot of infighting in their camp to bring about peace and stability to a diverse country like Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by computer0810(m): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2018
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by itsene: 10:09am On Apr 06, 2018
Recycling gossip!
Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by tribalistseun: 10:16am On Apr 06, 2018
Tinubu should stop scattering our party, enough of his selfish interest

3 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 06, 2018
CowHard:
Good move able chairman..... Tinubu should go and take care of his decaying teeth

Who is the chairman of your dead party...oh! I remember now - Secondus the crying baby!

#bring back remains of Llamdi Cownu from the seas! grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by computer0810(m): 10:21am On Apr 06, 2018
oyegun of all people.....if his not in APC nobody will miss him but if tinubu is not in APC again then d party is dead

6 Likes

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by Angelawhite(m): 10:22am On Apr 06, 2018
grin I simply want Oyegun to be re-elected, not because I like him, but to spite and shame Tinubu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyegun Begins Re-election Moves, Calls Tinubu’s Bluff by donbachi(m): 10:26am On Apr 06, 2018
"When a man's ways please the lord,he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him"...prov16:6.Abeg politicians no follow ooo!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mass Exodus Looms In APC - Dailytrust / IPOB Scatters “Orji Mbaise” In Imo, Chant 'No Election' (Video) / Even If Allegations Against Onnoghen Are True, CCB, Was Wrong … – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.