Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,108 members, 7,814,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay (27546 Views)

Yakassai: I Knew Buhari Can’t Fix Any Of Nigeria’s Problems / Boko Haram: Why Buhari Can’t Lead Our Troops Like Chadian President– Tony Momoh / 2019: Obasanjo, Jonathan, Governors Storm Yola For Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Limitednow: 12:58pm On Apr 07, 2018
ITSE Sagay, chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), has revealed why President Muhammadu Buhari cannot prosecute former Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan.

The federal government led by Mr. Buhari of the All Progressive Congress (APC) has always complained of the misrule it met in power, blaming the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The PDP until 2015 had been at helm of affairs in the country and has produced three presidents on its platform since the return to democracy in 1999.

Two of those it produced as presidents (Obasanjo and Jonathan) are still alive while one (Umaru Musa Yar’adua) is late.

The incumbent government had from the day of its Inuaguration been blaming its predecessors of misrule but some Nigeria are calling for the prosecution of the former leaders if so much looting was carried out under their regimes instead of persistent lamentation.

But in an interview with Punch Newspaper, Sagay disclosed that the nation was not ripe for such hence the former leaders could not be tried.

“Speaking from a peripheral level, unlike in South Africa, Brazil, and other countries, we don’t have a history or culture in this country of prosecuting our former presidents. It will take a long time, when we’ve developed and become more mature, to do that kind of thing. Right now, if you touch a former president, the storm that it will bring will be so diversionary and disturbing that it will affect your capacity to do positive things for the citizens. In my own thinking, you have to leave them alone and go for those who carried out the act of looting,” Sagay was quoted by the paper to have said.

He also said there should be media trial for looters who amassed wealth illegally from the nation’s treasury.

Mr. Sagay said looters needs to be tired in the media so that people will know how they got their wealth and shame them should they appear in public.

He stated this while reacting to claims by former president Olusegun Obasanjo that the current administration was just making noise about the war against corruption.

“I don’t agree with him. Noise should be made because you cannot reduce us to this level of poverty and wretchedness and think the government will continue to hide your name from the public. Even if a person has yet to be convicted, let them be subjected to the odium of public contempt so that when you see his child driving a Rolls Royce, you should be able to point at him and say, ‘That’s a car bought with our stolen treasury that you are driving.’ I support media trial; let the looters be tried in the press. If they feel there is anything wrong with it, let them sue the government; they have the right to sue if they didn’t steal.”

When asked what will happened to the reputation of the alleged looters soiled due to the media trial if they are eventually found to be innocent, Sagay could not give a straight answer.

He said: “Why there should be media trial is that it’s not every corrupt person that will be convicted. Therefore, something should be done to mark them so that when they appear in public, everybody will know and say, ‘Here is another looter who is not in prison!’”

He also noted why the looters’ lists contained names of mostly members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

“…I am not surprised that the list contains mostly the PDP members because they were the ones in charge of our common wealth before the APC came in. APC wasn’t the party in charge of our common wealth before.”

When asked what the fate to those perceived to be corrupt who left the PDP for APC citing a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro who was alleged to have taken part in the same $2.1bn arms scam that led to the inclusion of PDP members on the looters’ list as an example, he said there must have been a development which led to the omission of Obanikoro’s name.

Sagay noted that the government is going to publish name of 55 persons it said allegedly looted N1.34tn under the Jonathan regime.

Giving more insights he said the list includes former governors, ministers, bankers and so on, noting that the expected list is another one entirely.

The PACAC chairman also said looting of public funds was still ongoing at the national assembly through budget padding.

He said the implementation of treasury single account (TSA) by the Buhari administration has shown that country is making trillions of naira that “nobody knew about.”

“Nobody is sharing any money again — but perhaps at the national assembly looting is still ongoing due to budget padding. Some sharing may be going on at that level, but at the executive level, I can assure you that no sharing is going on.

“Remember, we have the treasury single account, though initiated by the Jonathan administration, but never implemented. The TSA has revealed the trillions of naira that this country had been making but which nobody knew about.”

https://www.headlineng.com/looting-buhari-prosecute-obasanjo-jonathan-sagay/

2 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by dignity33: 1:54pm On Apr 07, 2018
What a nonsense can this man listen to himself or his sense is now with APC?

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by 4kDdullard: 1:59pm On Apr 07, 2018
Senseless people

1 Like

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by tribalistseun: 2:06pm On Apr 07, 2018
This man sounds stupidd, can he even listen to himself? That's why he's as ugly as kemen

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by ganye1: 2:06pm On Apr 07, 2018
On the so-called media trial I agree with him because the looters are conniving with the judiciary to avoid conviction. At least let them feel the discomfort of media trial.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Paperwhite(m): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2018
The incumbent government had from the day of its Inuaguration been blaming its predecessors of misrule but some Nigeria are calling for the prosecution of the former leaders if so much looting was carried out under their regimes instead of persistent lamentation.
But in an interview with Punch Newspaper, Sagay disclosed that the nation was not ripe for such hence the former leaders could not be tried.

Thought "fight against corruption is one of the cardinal campaign promise of the APC So they're waiting till eternity? APC obviously have their own defination of corruption.
Fact is all past leadership of Nigeria have their corrupt past including the sanctimonious Buhari.Torch on any of them & see what will become of you. undecided
Useless government.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Paperwhite(m): 2:09pm On Apr 07, 2018
"Even if a person has yet to be convicted, let them be subjected to the odium of public contempt...................... I support media trial; let the looters be tried in the press. If they feel there is anything wrong with it, let them sue the government; they have the right to sue if they didn’t steal.”
So was Amaechi,Fashola,Buratai,Danbazzao,Lawal Babachir,Baru,Yusuf Buhari among the many high profile corrupt elements of the APC regime subjected to this?
No wonder no conviction have been attained with this idiot as the PACAC chair as EFCC have been losing court cases in torrents. Sagay-it shall never be well with you.
When asked what will happened to the reputation of the alleged looters soiled due to the media trial if they are eventually found to be innocent,
Sagay said: “Why there should be media trial is that it’s not every corrupt person that will be convicted. Therefore, something should be done to mark them so that when they appear in public, everybody will know and say, ‘Here is another looter who is not in prison!"

"Asked what the fate to those perceived to be corrupt who left the PDP for APC citing a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro who was alleged to have taken part in the same $2.1bn arms scam......................... he said there must have been a development which led to the omission of Obanikoro’s name."

See a once legal luminary of great repute. undecided undecided undecided See what APC can turn sound reasoning fellas into undecided undecided.This will surely be one of their greatest undoing.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by KenOne: 2:25pm On Apr 07, 2018
I think Itse Sagay is right on these arrest GEJ and see my Niger Delta people sorry militant starts giving Federal government ultimatum to release him or they start bombing oil installations. Then go to South West arrest OBJ you will start hearing Afenefere start releasing press statement through Yinka Odumakin like they are witch hunting OBJ because he's criticising the government.
Then arrest from South East the worst, you'll hear them say arrest past leaders from 1914. Oh! we are being treated like this because we are Biafras. We are marginalized APC is evil no road in South East as if PDP built one for us. Ohanaeze will shout as if Nigeria took away their wives. Just like in the case of Ike Ekweremandu accused of owning undeclared choice properties across the world to the CCB and Ohanaeze is backing him. The only tribe I know today that if you arrest their past leaders for corruption they will not go on protest are the Arewas like we have seen in the Dasuki case and other of their people being held.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 07, 2018
Sagay is just a very incoherent human, being a renouwned lawyer.. the obanikoro quote got me ashamed for his children

Lets hope mynd44 does not push that of the "the nations NG (Tinubu's diaries)" to front page.

When asked what will happen to the reputation of the alleged looters soiled due to the media trial if they are eventually found to be innocent, Sagay could not give a straight answer.

When asked what the fate to those perceived to be corrupt who left the PDP for APC citing a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro who was alleged to have taken part in the same $2.1bn arms scam that led to the inclusion of PDP members on the looters’ list as an example, he said there must have been a development which led to the omission of Obanikoro’s name.

2 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by GavelSlam: 2:40pm On Apr 07, 2018
Spot on Sagay.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Igba123: 2:42pm On Apr 07, 2018
I can only shake my head at d hypocrisy of dis asslicking fool of a man. I pity those whose father he is.

2 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by deji17: 2:45pm On Apr 07, 2018
GavelSlam:
Spot on Sagay.
This is fake news bro. The source is suspect.
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by bjayx: 2:46pm On Apr 07, 2018
Media trial before court acquittal is useless.

2 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by GavelSlam: 2:48pm On Apr 07, 2018
deji17:
This is fake news bro. The source is suspect.

Source looks suspect but there are lots of quotes.

It would become clearer shortly.
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 2:48pm On Apr 07, 2018
Waoo.... Sagay impressed me on this. One wrap of indian hemp for him

3 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by deji17: 2:51pm On Apr 07, 2018
GavelSlam:

Source looks suspect but there are lots of quotes.

It would become clearer shortly.
Sagay will not say those things. The language is not that of Sagay.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by adjoviomole(m): 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2018
Just arrest them already if they are guilty
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by HeyCorleone(m): 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2018
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by veacea: 3:26pm On Apr 07, 2018
So Obasanjo also looted
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Bossontop(m): 3:26pm On Apr 07, 2018
undecided
YEs because they are "sacred cows" a term buhari understands very well

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by tiredoflife(m): 3:29pm On Apr 07, 2018
KenOne:
I think Itse Sagay is right on these arrest GEJ and see my Niger Delta people sorry militant starts giving Federal government ultimatum to release him or they start bombing oil installations. Then go to South West arrest OBJ you will start hearing Afenefere start releasing press statement through Yinka Odumakin like they are witch hunting OBJ because he's criticising the government.
Then arrest from South East the worst, you'll hear them say arrest past leaders from 1914. Oh! we are being treated like this because we are Biafras. We are marginalized APC is evil no road in South East as if PDP built one for us. Ohanaeze will shout as if Nigeria took away their wives. Just like in the case of Ike Ekweremandu accused of owning undeclared choice properties across the world to the CCB and Ohanaeze is backing him. The only tribe I know today that if you arrest their past leaders for corruption they will not go on protest are the Arewas like we have seen in the Dasuki case and other of their people being held.

So dasuki is a past leader
Fuckinng asslicker

7 Likes

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Dannyset(m): 3:30pm On Apr 07, 2018
100% support for media trial. Looters need to be shamed and stoned

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by ednut1(m): 3:31pm On Apr 07, 2018
Ibb and shagari are still alive na
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by unknownsolja: 3:31pm On Apr 07, 2018
i didnt even waste my time reading this poo
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by ednut1(m): 3:32pm On Apr 07, 2018
Dannyset:
100% support for media trial. Looters need to be shamed and stoned
people like orji uzor kalu, amaechi, fashola,tinubu shud have been in the list too na
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 07, 2018
undecided
Re: Looting: Why Buhari Can’t Prosecute Obasanjo, Jonathan – Sagay by FLYFIRE(m): 3:34pm On Apr 07, 2018
What about the $2.8B in UK Midland bank of the 80s? What about how buhari RAN PTF as chairman? What about the 28 Pounds/Dollar-stuffed suitcases at the airport? Lets not talk about the IDP camp grass. Lets not talk of Maina. Lets not talk of the PADS on the budget. Was bubu involved in any of these?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Converts Badeh’s Property To Office - The Punch / Lagos DPO's Missing Pistol: Police Release Lady, Removes DPO Over PUNCH's Report / My Successors Dare Not Return Stolen Assets To Looters – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.