Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? (2359 Views)

Please Recommend Affordable Family Minivan / Man Shows How Old Bad Tires Are Made New / This Is The All-new 2019 Mercedes Benz B-class Minivan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 8:14am On Apr 08, 2018
Which do you use and why?

Would you consider Nigerian highways as an on road or off-road environment?

Have you suffered tire failures and taken the time to do a post event analysis?

I did and here is what I found.

It may be time to purchase tires based on application and not necessarily what us stamped on the driver's door.

All those commercial driver's running LT tires on a sienna and 235/65/16LT instead of 215/65/16 may be onto something.

Your thoughts on this?

Maybe we could reduce the carnage on our roads due to failed tires.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Which do you use and why?

Would you consider Nigerian highways as an on road or off-road environment?

Have you suffered tire failures and taken the time to do a post event analysis?

I did and here is what I found.

It may be time to purchase tires based on application and not necessarily what us stamped on the driver's door.

All those commercial driver's running LT tires on a sienna and 235/65/16LT instead of 215/65/16 may be onto something.

Your thoughts on this?

Maybe we could reduce the carnage on our roads due to failed tires.

Spot on!

On the uber fleet we run, we are currently switching all tyres to truck as soon as the old ones fail.

The beauty of the LT, they can suffer abuse by vulcanisers, by taking air pressures up to 60psi without damaging the tyre, also when they hit pot holes at high speeds, tyre stays in tact.

Truck tyres are the way forward on Nigerian roads.

2 Likes

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by nurey(m): 8:44am On Apr 08, 2018
I changed from 205/65R15 to 195R15C LT tires on my sienna, I can't say it has been fun, but uneven tire wear is no more, I think I guaged last 4months ago.

LT tires dey kampe

2 Likes

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:53am On Apr 08, 2018
nurey:
I changed from 205/65R15 to 195R15C LT tires on my sienna, I can't say it has been fun, but uneven tire wear is no more, I think I guaged last 4months ago.

LT tires dey kampe

guy on that ur sienna? It is almost 4 years old
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by nurey(m): 9:04am On Apr 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

guy on that ur sienna? It is almost 4 years old
engine still steams in the morning, monitoring spirit everywhere grin

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:09am On Apr 08, 2018
nurey:

engine still steams in the morning, monitoring spirit everywhere grin

actually I meant the tyres, I saw them last 4years ago when you just got them. Then I was working out of the house.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by nurey(m): 9:12am On Apr 08, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

actually I meant the tyres, I saw them last 4years ago when you just got them. Then I was working out of the house.

I used the follow come tire for 8months (205/65R15), then bought double king and used for 2 and half years (you actually saw the double king (215/70R15) then I was adviced to use direct tires (195R15C LT) I have been running them for less than a year now.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:16am On Apr 08, 2018
nurey:

I used the follow come tire for 8months (205/65R15), then bought double king and used for 2 and half years (you actually saw the double king (215/70R15) then I was adviced to use direct tires (195R15C LT) I have been running them for less than a year now.

You will enjoy the LT

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2018
One great enemy of tires is heat:
https://jalopnik.com/how-goodyear-hid-evidence-of-the-worst-tire-made-in-his-1822200424

Maybe we should keep and share statistics of tire makes suffering blowouts...
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2018
P or LT it doesn't matter to me though I will always prefer P tires when appropriate.

The key is to properly maintain your tires, P or LT.

Visually observe the wheels at each gas fill up and check the pressure, physically touch and inspect the tires at each oil change and preferably before the start of every journey.

Only fill up the tires to the recommended pressure that is stamped on the side of the driver's side door jamb. Don't listen to Baba Lati Vulga who thinks Nigeria is on Saturn and not on earth. He doesn't know more than the engineers at the tire and car factories.

How many of you guys own your own personal tire gauge that will ensure a consistent measurement? Your own personal compressor?
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 1:41pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:
P or LT it doesn't matter to me though I will always prefer P tires when appropriate.

The key is to properly maintain your tires, P or LT.

Visually observe the wheels at each gas fill up and check the pressure, physically touch and inspect the tires at each oil change and preferably before the start of every journey.

Only fill up the tires to the recommended pressure that is stamped on the side of the driver's side door jamb. Don't listen to Baba Lati Vulga who thinks Nigeria is on Saturn and not on earth. He doesn't know more than the engineers at the tire and car factories.

How many of you guys own your own personal tire gauge that will ensure a consistent measurement? Your own personal compressor?

I prefer P tires, but I am considering sets of tires because of my research P for use in the city and LT if traveling.

Even if tires are properly maintained, Nigerian roads require additional considerations because most of them are not paved.

I apply the visual checks and even stop to measure and either reduce or increase tire pressure every 100 miles or 3 hours on long trips.

Personal tire gauge? Yes

Personal compressor? Not yet.

Given how heavily loaded the aforementioned vehicles are subjected to, my research indicates that tire size is not the only consideration, speed rating,, load index rating, the tire pressure at the start of the trip and during the trip itself are relevant because of issues like overloading aka severe application, load transfer during cornering, etc.

Because of this, P tires are considered inappropriate unless the loading restriction influencing the factory stock tire are obeyed.

Otherwise, LT tires may be the way to go.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/27-tires-wheels-tire-pressure-monitors-tpms/3011-215-65-16-215-60-16-any-issues.html#/topics/3011?page=2

But see also http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311494/lt-or-p-metric-tires-for-light-trucksuv-applications
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 09, 2018
AutoElectNG:

I prefer P tires, but I am considering sets of tires because of my research P for use in the city and LT if traveling.

Even if tires are properly maintained, Nigerian roads require additional considerations because most of them are not paved.

I apply the visual checks and even stop to measure and either reduce or increase tire pressure every 100 miles or 3 hours on long trips.

Personal tire gauge? Yes

Personal compressor? Not yet.

Given how heavily loaded the aforementioned vehicles are subjected to, my research indicates that tire size is not the only consideration, speed rating,, load index rating, the tire pressure at the start of the trip and during the trip itself are relevant because of issues like overloading aka severe application, load transfer during cornering, etc.

Because of this, P tires are considered inappropriate unless the loading restriction influencing the factory stock tire are obeyed.

Otherwise, LT tires may be the way to go.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/27-tires-wheels-tire-pressure-monitors-tpms/3011-215-65-16-215-60-16-any-issues.html#/topics/3011?page=2

But see also http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311494/lt-or-p-metric-tires-for-light-trucksuv-applications

There’s nothing special about Nigerian roads that requires straying from prudent methods.

People should stick to manufacturers recommendations.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There’s nothing special about Nigerian roads that requires straying from prudent methods.

People should stick to manufacturers recommendations.

if the manufacturers knew about Nigerian roads, they would change specifications for us.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

if the manufacturers knew about Nigerian roads, they would change specifications for us.

They do know.

They do test this vehicles on various test tracks.

The Nigerian issue is that you use the wrong tool for the job wink

Toyota has everything from Yaris to Corolla to Camry to Avalon to RAV4 to Highlander to Land Cruiser and others in between like 4Runner like Tacoma.

But still you’ll Mr. Chinedu that lives in basically off road forest like me who will go and buy Camry.

Dem take Camry swear for una in Naija? grin
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by thebigkendo(m): 2:20pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

They do know.

Toyota has everything from Yaris to Corolla to Camry to Avalon to RAV4 to Highlander to Land Cruiser and others in between like 4Runner like Tacoma.

But still you’ll Mr. Chinedu that lives in basically off road forest like me who will go and buy Camry.

Dem take Camry Pencil light swear for una in Naija?
grin

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:23pm On Apr 09, 2018
our roads are off roads, tyres for off roads are not same with regular roads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:26pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

They do know.

Dem take Camry swear for una in Naija? grin

if nah by like this, every one should go and buy land-rover defender be dat
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

if nah by like this, every one should go and buy land-rover defender be dat

RAV4 will do.

2003 RAV4 is better for Nigeria than 2019 Camry.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
our roads are off roads, tyres for off roads are not same with regular roads.

There are as such as All Terrain Tires. If anything that’s what might be necessary.

You guys are killing me here. You want to start using off road tires with near zero on road grip on the road? grin
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

RAV4 will do.

2003 RAV4 is better for Nigeria than 2019 Camry.

you want me to arrive wedding in auchi with a 2003 rav4? You want them to think I am suffering in lagos? angry

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

you want me to arrive wedding in auchi with a 2003 rav4? You want them to think I am suffering in lagos? angry

grin

That’s how someone lambasted me in Ibadan in my 2002 4Runner, “shebi na londoner you be, learned person and you’re driving pangolo” cool

The difference between us and oyinbo plenty.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2018
It is OK to use a sturdier tire, read that to mean LT especially of the vehicle will be heavily laden.

It is not OK to change the tire size without adjusting ECU logic to address speedometer discrepancies as well as ABS response to panic braking.

If using LT tires, the tire pressure on the driver's door becomes irrelevant, you must use the minimum supported tire pressure for the LT tire of your choice to take full advantage of its load carrying capacity and prevent self destruction.

This post is for the records, lest someone takes my advice out of context and brings harm to life and limb, whether his or that of others.

See also https://www.autosphere.ca/tirenews/tires-management/2013/09/27/light-truck-tires-vs-passenger/ as well as http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311703/there-s-nothing-light-about-light-truck-tires
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 09, 2018
Hopefully people will do research and focus on the specifics of their car.

A wrong car like LT tires on a passenger will render the suspension useless in short order.

Olorun ma je ki afi owo wa ra ijogbon grin

Here’s an excellent website to read up on this subject

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colintirerackcom/lt-tires-vs-passenger-tires

Use LT tires in place of P and look forward to wrecked suspension bits, horrendous MPG. Also remember that your speed needs to be reduced too.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 4:39pm On Apr 09, 2018
I absolutely recommend research.

Research has led me to understand why the TPMS complains bitterly on sienna vehicles running 235/65/16 and 235/65/17

That's what most commercial vehicles use. Readers check this out before riding the next Sienna, but that's a major problem waiting to manifest the next time ABS is called into play.

The only thing commercial driver's do that is OK as far as tires are concerned is upgrading to LT tires to accommodate the extra load or as has been recommended by egunmogaji, all terrain tires.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 09, 2018
EgunMogaji:

grin

That’s how someone lambasted me in Ibadan in my 2002 4Runner, “shebi na londoner you be, learned person and you’re driving pangolo” cool

The difference between us and oyinbo plenty.

You no tell them say na corpse you dey wash for Yankee?

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2018
oyb:

You no tell them say na corpse you dey wash for Yankee?

grin
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by diportivo: 8:42pm On Apr 09, 2018
well

after all have been said and done

I have learnt new something

I'm slapping 215/15LT (hopefully it exists) on my 99 honda accord

grin
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by Nobody: 4:33am On Apr 10, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4443986/many-passengers-killed-accident-enugu (GRAPHIC PICTURES)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6951562_zacam7_jpg72002ce87cab3c96a60330e75cdaf4af

1) Dry road

2) Divided highway

3) Multi-lane

4) Broad daylight

5)

Cause of the accident? Oya monitoring spirits what says yee.
Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:46am On Apr 10, 2018
EgunMogaji:
https://www.nairaland.com/4443986/many-passengers-killed-accident-enugu (GRAPHIC PICTURES)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6951562_zacam7_jpg72002ce87cab3c96a60330e75cdaf4af

1) Dry road

2) Divided highway

3) Multi-lane

4) Broad daylight

5)

clear case of village people. grin

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by 9icetoo(m): 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2018
EgunMogaji:

1) Dry road

2) Divided highway

3) Multi-lane

4) Broad daylight

5)

possible causes:
1. swerved to dodge a jay walker or hawker. we have lots of them on the highways.
2. high on any of the widely available concoctions at the motor park.
3. worn out or wrong tire spec for the car. I've seen a bus with a 16 rim and 15 rim tyre and wheel combo on the same axle.
4. bad brakes.
5. village people. lol

1 Like

Re: P Or LT Tires....what Does Your Minivan/light Truck/suv Use? by AutoElectNG: 3:39pm On Sep 16, 2018
I have not had any brush with potholes for years until two days ago.

During that last brush I lost a brand new Michelin Energy tire that had not quite done 100 miles since purchase

I got into one due to a moment of indiscretion

I bent a rim but the tire was intact

I guess I owe it to running Light Truck tires

Been in that situation before with P tires, the sidewall was ripped apart

It was a Michelin Agilis tire

(1) (Reply)

Purpose Of The Stabilizer Bar, Links, & Bushings / Post Pics Of Geely Cars / Planning On My First Car.... Golf 4?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.