Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Edo APC Dumps Oyegun, State Party Chairs Shun Tenure Elongation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo APC Dumps Oyegun, State Party Chairs Shun Tenure Elongation (416 Views)

Nimi Barigha-Amange Joins APC, Dumps PDP / Ibrahim Shekarau Returns To APC, Dumps PDP / Buhari Dumps Oyegun, Solicits Governors’ Support For Oshiomhole As APC Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Edo APC Dumps Oyegun, State Party Chairs Shun Tenure Elongation by LadyNaija(f): 11:56am On Apr 08, 2018
The Edo State chapter of the APC has thrown its weight behind the decision of the APC governors to reject tenure elongation for the current NWC officials.

Speaking with one of our correspondents on Saturday, the Chairman of the Edo State chapter of the party, Mr. Anslem Ojezua, said the decision of the APC governors to support the President was in tandem with the position earlier taken by the state executive committee.

He said, “That is exactly our own position too. What the President is saying is that neither the constitution of the party nor the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria supports the extension of tenure under any guise.”

Ojezua said the APC governors were convinced by the superior argument of Buhari on the matter, rather than being forced against their personal opinions.

He added, “What will give the party respect in terms of internal democracy is to obey our own rules, which is our constitution. The constitution says when your tenure expires, the party must conduct congresses.

“It is a mandatory decision; it is not discretionary. The governors were not coerced to agree with the President; No, certainly not.

“I think it (President’s position on tenure elongation) was a superior argument. There was no pressure at all. The contents of both constitutions are very clear and unambiguous and in English language understood by all.”

Also, the APC chairman in the Ovia North-East Local Government Area of Edo State, where Odigie-Oyegun hails from, Mr. Benson Edosomwan, said the leadership of the council would abide by the decision taken by the state chapter.

“Well, that one (reaction) has to come from our state chairman. We align with whatever he tells you; it (Edo APC) is a big family,” he said.

Ojezua told one of our correspondents that he was not in a position to determine whether Odigie-Oyegun would seek re-election or not.

He said, “I think the question (about Odigie-Oyegun re-contesting) is better put to him; it is a personal decision. It is a decision he has to make and then the rest of us will respond.

“That matter (support for a candidate) has not been discussed. At the appropriate time, we will discuss it.”

Also, no fewer than eight APC chairmen from different states, who spoke with SUNDAY PUNCH on condition of anonymity, described the issue of tenure elongation for Odigie-Oyegun as a foregone conclusion.

One of them said, “I am a staunch supporter of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and he does not want Oyegun there again. My governor will tow this line and I am sure that if there is any way he can decide the fate of Oyegun politically at least for now, such decision will be in the negative.

“For instance, Odigie-Oyegun and Tinubu did not want the same candidate during the Ondo State governorship election and that animosity is still there. So, my governor will not be among those who will support tenure elongation for the national chairman or vote for him if he chooses to contest again.”

https://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2018/04/edo-apc-dumps-oyegun-state-party-chairs.html

[img]https://2.bp..com/-kXKkc8kflKY/WUA6yPbuHSI/AAAAAAAABg4/ZGbjSSJIG0UGDoBQqCUhw70IdDpGRTtZgCLcB/s640/John-Odigie-Oyegun.jpg[/img]

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Pressurized To Announce Re-election Bid – Shettima / 2019 Buhari Vs Jonathan 2 Poll / Justin Sun Founder Of Trons Reportedly Buys Apcnigeria Twitter Account For $2,00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.