Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars (13412 Views)

CNG Cars Are Safer Than Petrol Cars - Gazzuzz / Meet Mustapha Gajibo Who Converts Petrol Cars To Electric Cars In Borno. / Bosch Announces Breakthrough Technology That Could Save Diesel Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by midastouch: 10:35am On Apr 11, 2018
I drive a diesel truck and will not swap it for any car in the world.

On a full tank, I drive 6 weeks on my normal commute.

My truck is a "tank" and can go absolutely anywhere.

You have got to love diesel engines. They power the worlds commerce.

2 Likes

Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by airsaylongcon: 10:41am On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:

Your level of stuupidity is quite alarming. If you dont know wat it means to upgrade a car pls keep quiet..
upgrading it doesnt mean the car vin automatically changes to LR4 or the car will function like LR4.. Ode. Try get sense

Oga u are the bigger buffoon. What you have done is a retrofit! U take aftermarket fittings on a more recent model and fit it in an older model. An upgrade is what it says it is, UPGRADE. STEPPING UP! Will your so called upgrade add the conveniences that come with the newer model? Will it add the new engineering? U focus on cloning the aesthetics of a newer model and have the gumption to open your dirty buccal cavity to call a retrofit an upgrade. Stand one place so that the thunder can locate u accurately. Imb3c!le

1 Like

Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Inception(m): 10:47am On Apr 11, 2018
erico2k2:

Is torque not power ?
Is speed power ?
So how is a petrol engine powerful than a diesel if what I said was right ? Bear in mind I'm not talking speed cos these days on everyday vehicles speed is and dependant on driver .

nah bruh.

Torque and power DO NOT mean the same thing!

in the simplest of terms, Power is the rate of work and Torque is the amount of work done.

Now, Work is done when a force that is applied to an object moves that object. The work is calculated by multiplying the force by the amount of movement of an object (W = F * d). the rate at which this is done defines power, as the factor of time is put into consideration(i.e P=W/t)

Torque on the other hand is the twisting force that tends to cause rotation. The point where the object rotates is known as the axis of rotation.

Because of the high energy density of diesel fuel and the longer stroke as a result of the very design of compression-ignition engines, this naturally gives diesel engines the torque advantage. in other words diesel engines have a greater twisting force when it is running at low rpms.

Speed is not power (of course) but speed is a very important factor of power as power can also be defined as P= Force * speed (F*d/t). this is where petrol engines have the higher advantage, as they can be much higher revving (shorter stroke , lower compression ratio and lower energy density fuel)

Where is Siena when you need him grin

Cc. Egunmogaji , Gazzuzz, Kashif
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by pressplay411(m): 11:21am On Apr 11, 2018
ibkgab001:
Cool and good Autojosh
Include tachometer arrangement as well
How about th exhaust fumes? Seems diesel engines fume more init?
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by stacyadams: 12:58pm On Apr 11, 2018
huzyboy:
I learnt diesel car maintenance can be difficult because they are not so common
..diseal LR4 for our place don break down since last year ..
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by erico2k2(m): 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2018
Inception:

nah bruh.

in the simplest of terms, Power is the rate of work and Torque is the amount of work done.

Now, Work is done when a force that is applied to an object moves that object. The work is calculated by multiplying the force by the amount of movement of an object (W = F * d). the rate at which this is done defines power, as the factor of time is put into consideration(i.e P=W/t)

Torque on the other hand is the twisting force that tends to cause rotation. The point where the object rotates is known as the axis of rotation.

Because of the high energy density of diesel fuel and the longer stroke as a result of the very design of compression-ignition engines, this naturally gives diesel engines the torque advantage. in other words diesel engines have a greater twisting force when it is running at low rpms.

Speed is not power (of course) but speed is a very important factor of power as power can also be defined as P= Force * speed (F*d/t). this is where petrol engines have the higher advantage, as they can be much higher revving (shorter stroke , lower compression ratio and lower energy density fuel)

Oga you are lecturing me on physics .
Let's stick to cars for the benefit of others .
Torque is force pulled in more than three dimensions hence rotational . I used free word power to establish the general pull force of a car not going deep into tech . Two cars of same spec different fuel ie petrol diesel the diesel Engine packs more punch . Petrol is meant to be quicker but diesel technology has caught up due to difference in compression ratio .
As for the Engine warming up slow in bigger engines they have included stuff like webesto .
For fumes in trucks they now ha e spark arrestors and in smaller engines the Cat converter is been upgraded to Euro 6.why do you think Engines that needs force and give loads of power are fueled by diesel . ?
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by erico2k2(m): 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2018
stacyadams:
..diseal LR4 for our place don break down since last year ..
Poor maintanance
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by erico2k2(m): 1:19pm On Apr 11, 2018
pressplay411:

How about th exhaust fumes? Seems diesel engines fume more init?
This is where the catalyst converter comes into play
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by autotrader014(m): 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2018
airsaylongcon:

Oga u are the bigger buffoon. What you have done is a retrofit! U take aftermarket fittings on a more recent model and fit it in an older model. An upgrade is what it takes to says it is, UPGRADE. STEPPING UP! Will your so called upgrade add the conveniences that come with the newer model? Will it add the new engineering? U focus on cloning the aesthetics of a newer model and have the gumption to open your dirty buccal cavity to call a retrofit an upgrade. Stand one place so that the thunder can locate u accurately. Imb3c!le

U really sound frustrated bro.. grin

Be speaking big big grammer, while am doing my job and be collecting my money tongue grin

If e pain u too much, hug the nearest transformer.. Ewu
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Inception(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2018
erico2k2:

This is where the catalyst converter comes into play
i think the better word is DPF (diesel particulate filters). This is different from catalytic converters from a design standpoint..
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by erico2k2(m): 2:38pm On Apr 11, 2018
Inception:

i think the better word is DPF (diesel particulate filters). This is different from catalytic converters from a design standpoint..
Does the Vw polo 2018 have a DPF ?
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Inception(m): 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2018
erico2k2:

Oga you are lecturing me on physics .
Let's stick to cars for the benefit of others .
Torque is force pulled in more than three dimensions hence rotational . I used free word power to establish the general pull force of a car not going deep into tech . Two cars of same spec different fuel ie petrol diesel the diesel Engine packs more punch . Petrol is meant to be quicker but diesel technology has caught up due to difference in compression ratio .
As for the Engine warming up slow in bigger engines they have included stuff like webesto .
For fumes in trucks they now ha e spark arrestors and in smaller engines the Cat converter is been upgraded to Euro 6.why do you think Engines that needs force and give loads of power are fueled by diesel . ?

Bros,

This is the (basic) principles on which these engines operate, cars or not.

The word 'general pull force' is kind of ambiguous. Why, because pull or push is the the very attribute of a force when a body is accelerated (or decelerated ) from a point.

Torque has always been the definition i stated earlier, and not proven otherwise

Yes diesel technology has always been catching up and has become cleaner and more powerful ( no need to go into that detail)

Applications that requires more torque will defineitely find diesel more economical. (diesel generators, tractors etc come to mind)

BTW, i am an Engineer, that is my my language is like this grin
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Inception(m): 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2018
erico2k2:

Does the Vw polo 2018 have a DPF ?

Do you mean the diesel engine variant?
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by erico2k2(m): 3:08pm On Apr 11, 2018
Inception:

Bros,

This is the (basic) principles on which these engines operate, cars or not.

The word 'general pull force' is kind of ambiguous. Why, because pull or push is the the very attribute of a force when a body is accelerated (or decelerated ) from a point.

Torque has always been the definition i stated earlier, and not proven otherwise

Yes diesel technology has always been catching up and has become cleaner and more powerful ( no need to go into that detail)

Applications that requires more torque will defineitely find diesel more economical. (diesel generators, tractors etc come to mind)

BTW, i am an Engineer, that is my my language is like this grin
Bross me to nah Mechanic Engineer with 13 years barground xpirience in fluid mechanics in the UK . So you are not speaking to a novice .. when I said power it's for the a everage reader to comprehend . Howmany people here do you think knows what a torque convertor is?.so let's keep it simple. grin
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by airsaylongcon: 3:18pm On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:

U really sound frustrated bro.. grin

Be speaking big big grammer, while am doing my job and be collecting my money tongue grin

If e pain u too much, hug the nearest transformer.. Ewu

Making what money? People that make money from retrofits don't come to beg for patronage on NL. U are one mo'f*cking hustling asswipe. Bow down and kiss the f*cking ring twerp
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:
Nice thread

Meanwhile we do upgrade of cars, incase you want to upgrade your Land Rover LR3 to LR4, Range Rover sports, Landcruiser jeeps, Lexus jeeps. It is our job.

Below is a pics of an upgraded Land Rover, before and after pics

Our office is at No 50 stadium road, Port Harcourt. No matter where you are, we can upgrade your car and give you a feeling of a new car.

Call or whatsapp 09056222781

How much is all 4 wheels and tires?
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2018
Inception:

nah bruh.

What is the argument?

Thanks.
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by autotrader014(m): 7:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
airsaylongcon:

Making what money? People that make money from retrofits don't come to beg for patronage on NL. U are one mo'f*cking hustling asswipe. Bow down and kiss the f*cking ring twerp

Am done replying u.. U should focus on fixing ur life and minding ur small computer business, dan displaying ur foolishness for the world to see..

Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by airsaylongcon: 8:21pm On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:

Am done replying u.. U should focus on fixing ur life and minding ur small computer business, dan displaying ur foolishness for the world to see..

Computing is a hobby! It's obvious you've been through my posts profiling me. Tell me where I have peddled a fraudulent scheme like you. I provide solutions for free. Unlike you stupid apprentice con man "upgrading" a 4x4 to a Limo. Poosie 455 n3gr0
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by autotrader014(m): 9:28am On Apr 12, 2018
airsaylongcon:

Computing is a hobby! It's obvious you've been through my posts profiling me. Tell me where I have peddled a fraudulent scheme like you. I provide solutions for free. Unlike you stupid apprentice con man "upgrading" a 4x4 to a Limo. Poosie 455 n3gr0

No wonder u cant be in a stable relationship, because of your ugly character.. Get a life ewu grin
Re: These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars by airsaylongcon: 10:26am On Apr 12, 2018
autotrader014:

No wonder u cant be in a stable relationship, because of your ugly character. Get a life ewu grin

Stable relationship?! N3gr0 puhliz. U need to get a life not the yahoo yahoo "upgrade" of L3 to "L4" you are doing. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Do you "upgrade" Audi A4 to A6 too?

I said bow down and kiss the ring

(1) (2) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Key Won't Turn During Ignition / What Kind Of Car Can ₦1 Million Get Me? / Which Exterior Colour Will Suit A Brown Leather Seat Interior Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.