Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,162 members, 7,829,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y (1287 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Do You Pity Nigerians Who Go Abroad And Get Diappointed? / Ok. Nigeria Is Bad, We Wont Come Home. A Graduate Parking Sh: It Abroad, Good? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by Nobody: 3:08am On Mar 14, 2007
How can one make it abroad and what is the probability that you would make if you eventually travel.
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by alabiyemmy(m): 3:12am On Mar 14, 2007
make it? What does that mean? An average Nigerian abroad is struggling to survive. How easy is it to "make it" when the system taxes you out of your pants and everything has to be paid for? You can live a good life surely, but I dont know about becoming a millionaire if that is what you mean by "make it".
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by Nobody: 3:37am On Mar 14, 2007
but no how no how
e better pass this our great niaja
but i think u are right .
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by LoverBwoy(m): 9:10am On Mar 14, 2007
alabiyemmy:

make it? What does that mean? An average Nigerian abroad is struggling to survive. How easy is it to "make it" when the system taxes you out of your pants and everything has to be paid for? You can live a good life surely, but I don't know about becoming a millionaire if that is what you mean by "make it".

wow i never knew things were free in nigeria grin
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by alabiyemmy(m): 9:57pm On Mar 14, 2007
LoverBwoy:

wow i never knew things were free in nigeria grin

Trying to play smart or dumb or either? Everything has to be paid for in terms of utilities; light, water, council tax etc.
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by Nobody: 2:08am On Mar 15, 2007
olibyno:

How can one make it abroad and what is the probability that you would make if you eventually travel.

If you get a visa and would like to move to Oyiboland.please do your homework well.
Friends and family that will house you will do it for just a short while and then you become a nuisance,they get tired of feeding you and sooner or later you know you have to move and if you don't have the right visa,it is extremely difficult now to even get a job washing corpses in a funeral home without a green card or some form of work permit.

It's not as easy as the average Nigerian thinks.
The average immigrant with no papers works many jobs and long hours on meagre wages to pay rent and eat.
There has been many cases of suicides and murders(husband killing wife) due to the stress this place brings and it's not made easy by family back home calling and demanding heaven and earth not knowing that Joe is barely scraping by.

The 3 best ways to come here without an immigrant visa is with a student visa,a J or an H visa(for exchange students or skilled workers after hire)
If you come with a visitor's visa,you have a tough road ahead.
I don't want to discourage you but I'm telling you the hard facts.
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by omoge(f): 2:56am On Mar 15, 2007
na true talk, ezeku my sister smiley
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by pete(m): 5:49am On Mar 15, 2007
Its very interesting how things aren't the way we actually thought the were before we had a first hand experience. Life in the west is amazing, but the fact remains that, its not a free zone. Citizens payed for the society and are still paying for it. Like the other threaders posited, life in the uk and america is not handled with kids gloves. papers or no papers. well i would offer a simple statistical fact from 03. "78% of americans have never seen 20 thousand dollars in their lifetime". Another 72% have never saved it up, now naijas go figure.

So i'm wondering what is meant by "making it". i had had a friend emailed me to send him 20k dollars, just likes its 20 naira.This was even when I was in school. i was like na wao!.Keep in mind some folks, africans too, have also had it nice, private business owners.but they are in the minority. some of us are able to buy one two house, not because we went to the seller with ghanna must go. Listen in 04, i walked into a bank with 2350 dollars it took the bank less than 15mins to call the police and to get them there. I was upset, well u know, maybe because I was black and from the almighty NIGERIA, but they showed me a bank policy to that effect. has nothing to do with your skin pigmentation or ethnic orientation. Its the system. Now, when u sit back in nigeria thinking once u're in the US its "heaven on west" and u will make 50k dollars in two months, a rethink may be advisable. I have friends who are doctors, make about 200k a year and they can't even afford to spare a 100 dollars, why? because they do not have it to give outside the budget.

Conclusively, its not easy here in a different as its not easy in Nigeria.Once again, we naijas would answer me by saying, I think i would prefer the not easy in america than the not easy in Nigeria. Well I would respect that, but keep in mind that,its not as easy as u had envisage. its cool, but u would need alot of grace to standout here.
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 15, 2007
You are so correct pete.
Almost  everyone in Nigeria including myself before I emigrated here has this notion that dollars grow on trees.

Your story about doctors making six figures and can't afford a spare $100 is so true.
Sadly such situations are brought on by the greedy,competitive nature of Nigerians.
Always wanting to outdo the others and ending up in debt up to the eyeballs.
That is pure stupidity.

Living in the West is great @ the poster but it does not happen overnight.
Again I add,if other people have "made it",so can you but you must be informed.

Since after 9/11,in America with a visitors visa

You cannot get a drivers license
cannot get a social security card
cannot secure employment(you need a social security card)
Cannot get a rental apartment in your name without a job,ss card or bank account

If you decide to go the illegal route(which I don't promote in any form) and marry akata for papers,they require you live with her for at least 2 years and stand a 50-50 chance of not getting it after that and when all is said and done,you may have Kehinde,Taiwo and Idowu resulting from the shady union that you must take care of and without a proper job plus child support,you would wish you never left Naija.

You also stand the risk of the akata blackmailing and exthorting you,many have suffered that fate.
And if she did not know you used her for papers and finds out,your dead body may be on the next thing smoking to Naija.
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by LoverBwoy(m): 9:08pm On Mar 15, 2007
alabiyemmy:

Trying to play smart or dumb or either? Everything has to be paid for in terms of utilities; light, water, council tax etc.

wow! i never knew those were free in nigeria  cheesy
sorry im just having fun

this is a very important thread that should be in the front page! the 3 up there have explained the situation really well

p.s a bitlot of hardwork anywhere you are helps too
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by TheOne2(m): 12:21am On Mar 16, 2007
Loverbwoy

you're just being mischievious. We all know what our contry folks go through in the west to make ends meet. Just stop this notion that the west is all in all as it isn't. For your information, there are young men in Nigeria with honest businesses who can afford to pay you all you earn in a month in London in one week (even with the 250 naira to 1 pound conversion).

My take: if Nigeria pays you very well, don't leave it oooooo. Unless you have a SOLID arrangement here
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by LoverBwoy(m): 12:31am On Mar 16, 2007
p.s a lot of hardwork anywhere you are helps too
when did this become a notion the west is all that?

and all these talks about there are young men in nigeria earning this and buying that is all relative mate! youve been saying that for a while now.

If i live in aso rock ofcourse I'll say nigeria is an easy place to make money.

like I said Anywhere you are work Hard! Dont expect anyone to give you kobo!
Re: How Can One Make It Abroad And What Is The Probability That You Would Make If Y by Nobody: 3:02am On Mar 17, 2007
GREAT NAIRA LAND!!!

it was very interesting reading your replys, atleast i have learnt something great that i have never heard before, how i wish i can get to read more replys.

one love, one 9ja

(1) (Reply)

Arik Air Sinks With Lies, Slavery And Debt Running Into Billions / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom!!! Your Thoughts? / Flight To Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.