Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) (43727 Views)

See What Reno Omokri Said About Achebe And Soyinka / Gbenga Olawepo And Fela Durotoye: The Clash Of New Political Titans / In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Shugavee(f): 1:37am On Apr 13, 2018
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Shugavee(f): 1:38am On Apr 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

Are you angry shocked

Alright, sweet dreams.
lol angry that what!! I aint good with arguments!!! Just stated my points!! N just so u know I know all the writers u wrote up there!! Sleep tight

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 1:40am On Apr 13, 2018
Shugavee:
lol angry that what!! I aint good with arguments!!! Just stated my points!! N just so u know I know all the writers u wrote up there!!

I am tempted to get back into the chat but..let us just go to bed cheesy

Sweet dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by calliope(f): 1:52am On Apr 13, 2018
ameri9ja:
Who is greater?
Does it matter?
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by perdollar(m): 2:06am On Apr 13, 2018
one represent a typical Igbo man while d other represent a typical Yoruba man
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by ameri9ja: 2:38am On Apr 13, 2018
calliope:

Does it matter?

It matters (like in Messi vs Ronaldo) but it doesn't apply because they are in different fields.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by ameri9ja: 2:40am On Apr 13, 2018
lastempero:

Nairaland is suppose to be a plus but unfortunately the reverse is the case,more division.

There is 10 times more tribalism in NL than in real life.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 2:45am On Apr 13, 2018
Please guys I join nairaland yesterday to raise 25k for my house rent which is due by April end. Please if you can assist with any amount, I will be grateful. Please send donations to 6171828068....Fidelity bank savings account. Thanks and God bless.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by brightlinse(m): 3:03am On Apr 13, 2018
noble71:
There was a country! embarassed
Call Biafra shocked
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:40am On Apr 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

That book is overhyped.

It didn't liberate Africa in anyway. Instead, it presented Africans as barbaric. Achebe talked about killing of twins, human sacrifices (Ikemefuna's murder) and then painted the whites as liberators. Things Fall Apart is just exactly the same note made by the whites. Achebe was not original.

In another of his novels, No Longer At Ease, he portrayed the Africans as thoroughly corrupt and the whites (symbolized by Mr Greene) as incorruptible.

Achebe simply painted the whites as good in his novels set in precolonial and colonial era.

He doesn't come close to Soyinka in depth, originality and the sustained voice.

Tell me how Things Fall Apart liberated Africans. The only thing it did was even expose us as savages and portrayed the whites like Mary Slessor for instance as our liberators from the worship of dead gods. Read Things Fall Apart, and you will see that Achebe revered the whites and even couldn't hide his disdain for the African religions.

Is it now? I thought it deplored the fact thar we stopped worshiping the Gods.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by lastempero: 5:59am On Apr 13, 2018
ameri9ja:

There is 10 times more tribalism in NL than in real life.

Yea because most NL are jobless, so they try to vent their angers away through that medium.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by planetzoom: 6:29am On Apr 13, 2018
Chinua Achebe was a radicalised ethnic bigot from the east,till he died he didn't see himself as a Nigerian neither did he accept all the national honours the Nigerian Government offered him. His opinions were too subjective and tilted towards Biafra as was seen in that last book he wrote'' There was a country '' Yet The Nigerian government gave him a state Burial
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by J2381: 6:55am On Apr 13, 2018
Wow! that's all I can say.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by J2381: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2018
ameri9ja:

It matters (like in Messi vs Ronaldo) but it doesn't apply because they are in different fields.
That's why it doesn't matter.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by CowHard: 7:45am On Apr 13, 2018
Fela was a rascal and an irresponsible chap that impregnated women at will
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 8:30am On Apr 13, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

Is it now? I thought it deplored the fact thar we stopped worshiping the Gods.

Bro, have you read Attahiru by Ahmed Yerima.

Even though it was a historical play and Attahiru was killed, Yerima's sympathy and voice was with the blacks. In Things Fall Apart, Achebe was writing fiction as close to history as possible and yet failed to even give the gods some dignity. Everything happened so fast and there was little resistance to the power of the whiteman's God.

Things Fall Apart is overrated. It is unoriginal. If you are looking for real African novel, try Elechi Amadi's The Concubine. That is purely African and with a sustained voice. Things Fall Apart never liberated Africa in anyway. It just has the hype.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:01am On Apr 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

Bro, have you read Attahiru by Ahmed Yerima.

Even though it was a historical play and Attahiru was killed, Yerima's sympathy and voice was with the blacks. In Things Fall Apart, Achebe was writing fiction as close to history as possible and yet failed to even give the gods some dignity. Everything happened so fast and there was little resistance to the power of the whiteman's God.

Things Fall Apart is overrated. It is unoriginal. If you are looking for real African novel, try Elechi Amadi's The Concubine. That is purely African and with a sustained voice. Things Fall Apart never liberated Africa in anyway. It just has the hype.

hmm Even I wondered why Achebe was given a very christian funeral upon his death.

Anyways I'll try this book - The Concubine. Thanks!
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Halo22: 9:52am On Apr 13, 2018
Neoblacks.......
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 9:56am On Apr 13, 2018
PAGAN9JA:

hmm Even I wondered why Achebe was given a very christian funeral upon his death.

Anyways I'll try this book - The Concubine. Thanks!

Try it, my brother. It is a fine book. There is another wonderful writer too. Isidore Okpewho. Try reading his "The Victims". I love the man die cheesy Achebe has nothing on that man. One thing with life is that luck sometimes plays a great deal even if you are very gifted. Achebe was a great writer (or should I say, storyteller). His novel, "Arrow of God" is one of my favorite African novels of all time but I don't really fancy him even in the top ten very good African writers.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by judgedredd22(m): 10:05am On Apr 13, 2018
AuntLaVIV:
Throwback picture of the father of modern African literature Chinua Achebe and Afro beat king Fela Kuti in the 1970s.

Lalasticlala

this was the 80s not 70s cool
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:04am On Apr 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

Try it, my brother. It is a fine book. There is another wonderful writer too. Isidore Okpewho. Try reading his "The Victims". I love the man die cheesy Achebe has nothing on that man. One thing with life is that luck sometimes plays a great deal even if you are very gifted. Achebe was a great writer (or should I say, storyteller). His novel, "Arrow of God" is one of my favorite African novels of all time but I don't really fancy him even in the top ten very good African writers.

Ah yes . very true.

Sure thing I'll check out these books. At times we tend to get brainwashed by the mainstream media.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by jchioma: 12:34pm On Apr 13, 2018
salvationproject:
This are legend and Buhari have also prove himself one too.
Greatest fellow Nigerians, President Muhammadu Buhari have put up the mandate to us to make Nigeria great again by declaring his intention for second term.
This man means we'll for Nigerians,
He entered office in 2015:
1. And since 2016,boko-haram became handicap to attack and other terrorist groups like ipob are now exterminated and their leader dead somewhere.
2. And now Looters are afraid of the name Nigeria.
3. And all is set for the payment of 5000 to all Nigerian youths.
4. And now bag of rice that was N22000 is N5000.
5. And now though dollar is high, it decreasing rate shows that in the next quarter of the year, 000.01 naira will be equal to 1 dollar and perhaps people have never been this rich in other regime compare to our great PMB regime.
6. Millions of employment everyday as those who were even sack are now getting more better jobs.
7. No strikes in our tertiary institutions again.
8. Great infrastructures now showing up every now and then both in the SS, SE, NE, NW, NC, SW... Just name it.
9. Improvement in public health care that even the president son and family are now attended to medically in Nigeria.
10. Nigeria is now written with integrity all over the world that if we can extend PMB tenure to 2023 and even add more years, a permanent seat in the UN is sure for us.
11. Industry are now working that we can now see self-driven cars on our highways.

Let support this man of change forever.
#ISaiBaba #ISaiChange
Written by an educated elite.

If you check well, you will see the 'hand' of "President Muhammadu Buhari" in the deaths of these great patriots by "Unknown soldier; Animal in human skin". Nothing good ever came from your saviour. I once thought Buhari was the best alternative for Nigeria, but with all these emerging facts and realities, he is certainly more clueless than GEJ and has poor comprehension and decision making capabilities.

How he managed to fuul Nigerians into believing he had changed, beats me hollow. Never again, Never again, Never again!
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by juddy4life: 2:07pm On Apr 13, 2018
Great men. May you gentle souls RIP.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 14, 2018
BluntBoy:

I doubt you know anything about African literature. Those two you mentioned cannot lace Achebe's shoes. Even Elechi Amadi copied Achebe form and style of writing. Achebe was not just the father of African literature because of his book "Things Fall Apart", he was because he nurtured African literature through his editorship of the African Writers Series and changed the way African's tell their story by introducing a new form of writing colored with proverbs, fables and cultural symbolism to which every writer of African origin could tell their stories. Achebe was the first African writer to write a true African novel, that today in the west the Achebian style of writing has become a yardstick scholar judge your writing as an African.

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 14, 2018
BluntBoy:

I doubt you know anything about African literature. Those two you mentioned cannot lace Achebe's shoes. Writers who could not stand toe to toe with Ngugi wa Thiongo, the greatest of Achebe's influences. Even Elechi Amadi copied Achebe form and style of writing. He as well as the likes of Okpewho and so many other, are called the "sons of Achebe" by the African literary cycle because their style of writing was influenced by Achebe himself. Achebe was not just the father of African literature because of his book "Things Fall Apart", he the was the greatest because he nurtured African literature through his editorship of the African Writers Series and changed the way African's tell their story by introducing a new form of writing colored with proverbs, fables and cultural symbolism to which every writer of African origin could tell their stories. Achebe was the first African writer to write a true African novel that today the Achebian style of writing has become a yardstick scholars all over the world judge your novel as an African.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 10:28pm On Apr 14, 2018
Chiwude:
I doubt you know anything about African literature. Those two you mentioned cannot lace Achebe's shoes. Writers who could not stand toe to toe with Ngugi wa Thiongo, the greatest of Achebe's influences. Even Elechi Amadi copied Achebe form and style of writing. He as well as the likes of Okpewho and so many other, are called the "sons of Achebe" by the African literary cycle because their style of writing was influenced by Achebe himself. Achebe was not just the father of African literature because of his book "Things Fall Apart", he the was the greatest because he nurtured African literature through his editorship of the African Writers Series and changed the way African's tell their story by introducing a new form of writing colored with proverbs, fables and cultural symbolism to which every writer of African origin could tell their stories. Achebe was the first African writer to write a true African novel that today the Achebian style of writing has become a yardstick scholars all over the world judge your novel as an African.

SMH...

The arrogance with which you people display your ignorance is just baffling.

Show me articles or audios where these writers claimed to have Achebe as an influence. If you talk about Adichie, fine. But to say the likes of Okpewho were influenced by Achebe is rather moronic.

First of all, Okpewho's style of writing is totally different from Achebe's and many of these writers have been writing before the publication of Things Fall Apart. Yes, Things Fall Apart brought African literature largely to the world and Achebe did help many African writers get published through the African Writers Series, but it is rather dishonest to call these writers the children of Achebe. On what basis should you even call these greats the children of Achebe?
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Ejorchris: 10:29pm On Apr 14, 2018
Aboki don't have such legends but good in producing killers.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 10:35pm On Apr 14, 2018
Chiwude:

Writers like Soyinka had a later publication with African Writers Series and that was after he had established himself as a playwright and poet.

Nadine Gordimer also has just one publication under AWS and it a novella and some short stories.

I bet you really think Soyinka and Gordimer are also Achebe's children.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by NdiaraIGBO: 10:36pm On Apr 14, 2018
BluntBoy:

That book is overhyped.

It didn't liberate Africa in anyway. Instead, it presented Africans as barbaric. Achebe talked about killing of twins, human sacrifices (Ikemefuna's murder) and then painted the whites as liberators. Things Fall Apart is just exactly the same note made by the whites. Achebe was not original.

In another of his novels, No Longer At Ease, he portrayed the Africans as thoroughly corrupt and the whites (symbolized by Mr Greene) as incorruptible.

Achebe simply painted the whites as good in his novels set in precolonial and colonial era.

He doesn't come close to Soyinka in depth, originality and the sustained voice.

Tell me how Things Fall Apart liberated Africans. The only thing it did was even expose us as savages and portrayed the whites like Mary Slessor for instance as our liberators from the worship of dead gods. Read Things Fall Apart, and you will see that Achebe revered the whites and even couldn't hide his disdain for the African religions.

This is the reason the racist whites like "Things fall apart" - for its savagery account of IGBO way of life, which the ready racists took for African life. A savage cultureless land of the Igbos.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 10:40pm On Apr 14, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:

This is the reason the racist whites like "Things fall apart" - for its savagery account of IGBO way of life, which the ready racists took for African life. A savage cultureless land of the Igbos.

Exactly.

Even though Achebe matured and produced much better and sustained works such as No Longer At Ease and A Man Of the People and his last novel (Anthills of the Savannah), the white race continue to promote Things Fall Apart as a great work of fiction because it blatantly promotes their superiority over the black race.
Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by NdiaraIGBO: 10:45pm On Apr 14, 2018
BluntBoy:

Exactly.

Even though Achebe matured and produced much better and sustained works such as No Longer At Ease and A Man Of the People and his last novel (Anthills of the Savannah), the white race continue to promote Things Fall Apart as a great work of fiction because it blatantly promotes their superiority over the black race.

The book should be burned by the Nigerian government. Very terrible book though it was factual about Igboland. But unfortunately igboland was extremely insular and uncivilised to be the setting for such a book which the racists gave a high profile.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) by Malawian(m): 12:23am On Apr 15, 2018
Fela Kuti was begging for Unity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FFK Replies Trump On Twitter: "Do Not Waver! Hold The Line And Be Strong!" / Ezekwesili Cries Over Freed Chibok Girls / Cabal Attempts To Bring Buhari Home Before Closure Of Abuja Airport - Sahara R.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.