Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. (4603 Views)

So I Am Getting A Divorce... How Do I Adjust? / What's The Advantage Of A Court Wedding To Men? / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2018
It's high time I enquired about processes to initiate a divorce following a separation or abandonment of marital vows,especially if a marriage component was at the court registry.

How long after a spouse moves out or separates can the partner file a divorce suit? Can a divorce suit be filed for abandonment within a year of moving out?

What are the procedures? Should such suit be filed in a magistrate or high court?

Why do young,married Nigerian women feel a court registry marriage confers more advantage on her in case of marital crisis? Why do they feel a husband will lose out in divorce, no matter the circumstances?

To my personal scenario,I am separated from my spouse for 4 months now, following verbal abuse and lies directed by her against me. Can I file for a divorce now?

Lawyers,please improve my knowledge of the Matrimonial causes act of Nigeria considering my personal scenario.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 13, 2018
Following...
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 13, 2018
@Pipedreams, were you also defrauded deceptively into an abusive court marriage like me?

After getting perspectives and viewpoints on this,I'll make known a final position on whether men should be antagonistic to court marriage or not.

For now,I need contributors to my thread.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Targatarga(f): 3:47pm On Apr 13, 2018
Sorry man, I read your previous post.. Lawyers in the house, Pls your attention is needed...
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by 4reala(m): 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2018
Op, aint u making efforts to reconcile wit ur wife again?
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 13, 2018
4reala:
Op, aint u making efforts to reconcile wit ur wife again?
After due consultations,that chapter is over.The battle begins.

The war must be won.Give your new advice on dissolution of marriage in Nigeria on account of desertion if you can.
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 13, 2018
doreto:

The war must be won.Give your new advice on dissolution of marriage in Nigeria on account of desertion if you can.

Bro watsapp me. I wana make a similar move. 08033951736
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 13, 2018
doreto:
@Pipedreams, were you also defrauded deceptively into an abusive court marriage like me?

After getting perspectives and viewpoints on this,I'll make known a final position on whether men should be antagonistic to court marriage or not.

For now,I need contributors to my thread.

Bro i was manipulated o. Men should never do court

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Muna5: 7:40pm On Apr 13, 2018
doreto:

I think you should try reconciliation first if you truly want to restore your marriage.

Show me a man that treats his wife rightly and I will show you a woman that obeys her husband sheeply.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by YourCoffin: 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2018
Why did you go for court wedding in the first place? Nothing good ever comes out of court wedding for the man

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 13, 2018
Hmmmm...

Only the high court of a state has the jurisdiction to hear matrimonial causes .

As far as you are married under the act ...the laws of the federation you have to file for divorce at the high court .

There are two arms to divorce in Nigerian jurisprudence namely - annulment and 2) dissolution of marriage .

The first means that for some reason as specifically specified by the matrimonial causes act the marriage was illegal and void . E.g consent , certain diseases or mental cases which were not disclosed , minors etc .

The second part dissolution stems from the fact that the marriage has broken down irretrievably and parties have been living apart for not less than 2-3 years . The act goes on to spell out specific instances such as non consummation of the union e.t.c .

All in all our matrimonial laws in my opinion need to be revised .

But eh what do I know .

I still believe that the only reason one should get married is for legal convenience and children.

Hypergamy is real ...and women don't care if you kill yourself .
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 13, 2018
I read somewhere that one can file for dissolution of marriage(divorce) 1 year after desertion(being abandoned) by a spouse.Can I explore this avenue?
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by coolcatty: 10:53pm On Apr 13, 2018
doreto:
I read somewhere that one can file for dissolution of marriage(divorce) 1 year after desertion(being abandoned) by a spouse.Can I explore this avenue?

Oga go and bring your wife back let's hear word.....you are obviously still in love with her. You still send this woman big time that's why you are here asking for a divorce. .....you need this woman more than she needs you....swallow your pride and go and beg her and her family.

A man that has moved on will not even bother about divorce. ...he will fall in love and find genuine happiness in the arms of another woman. ..get married to the new woman....your former wife is supposed to see your new wedding pictures on social media.

It's love struck men that file for divorce as revenge so that people will start counselling and begging you ....your woman is supposed to be the one filing for divorce and begging you to release her and come collect your brideprice sef so she can move on...forget this woman and move on if you can.

Stop disgracing real men jare

15 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by coolcatty: 10:54pm On Apr 13, 2018
Pipedreams:

Bro watsapp me. I wana make a similar move. 08033951736

when is the best time to call ?
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 13, 2018
coolcatty:

when is the best time to call ?

Anytime
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 14, 2018
[quote author=coolcatty post=66690567][/quote]

I'm planning on getting a divorce at the earliest possible time.That sounds intelligent to me and within the ambit of the law.You can not let your sworn enemies find a loophole.If you get married to another woman without divorce of the initial marriage,it is a criminal offence,especially in a statutory marriage.In customary marriage ,that can be done.And that's the import of my thread: to display the wickedness of a registry marriage.

Let's look at your advice critically.Advising me to marry another wife 4 months after the end of a marriage will be counterproductive - you need to take a break,introspect,plan ahead,avoid a transitory relationship.

Discussing dissolution of marriage in Nigeria is not popular on a forum like this.So can't you think I might be fulfilling a need,if not for anything else,at least for knowledge.Obviously,like most Nigerians,subjects that require deep thoughts are untenable to you.

I'm not pleading with you to console me on my loss or otherwise,if any.I loved my wife.I don't love her now.I might love her later,posterity will tell.Let's focus on now.

If you can't make intelligent arguments please move to threads about Davido and his shenanigans.Thank you.

P.S. I expect you to delete that your aberrant post above as it exposes your ignorance and abysmal level of intelligence quotient.

More advice needed.

7 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 4:23am On Apr 14, 2018
In whatever steps you want to take, in whatever way you want to show your muscles, in whatever pattern you want to announce to the world that you don't Give AF!ck...

NEVER! I repeat NEVER EVER!!!

now read that slowly... never ever go to COURT!!!!!!!!!

In the next 365days, You would look back at your actions and most likely punch yourself to death.

Allow nature take its natural course....

This advice is not by force o, make everybody farm their farm!

By the way, I hope you have the time and resource to waste on this your new venture (divorce), I for say make you use the time go hustle hard!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by eyinjuege: 5:55am On Apr 14, 2018
I think you have to wait a year of seperation or so.

Anyway, get a lawyer and they will put you through. Hope you have thought about it very well

doreto:

There is no battle, and stop getting emotional about it. It seems you still have feelings for your wife . Things didnt work out, and you both want to free each other and start life afresh. Just do that, no need to make it more difficult for yourself and her by making it a battle
Even if you had married only traditionally, you will still feel the same way you're feeling right now.
Court marriages serve a purpose especially for record keeping.
Rushing to get married to spite your ex usually ends in regrets for most as they end up from frying pan to fire. While your divorce is still pending, take your time to study the woman you want to marry again. Get over all the bitterness in your previous union so that the new one can be sweet.

6 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Carinaflo(f): 6:19am On Apr 14, 2018
Show me a man that treats his wife rightly and I will show you a woman that obeys her husband sheeply.[/quote].
Not in all cases. I know a man that pampers his wife, provides every of her financial needs, does house chores and cooks sometimes yet the woman would always abuse the husband verbally and emotionally because she knows the husband is the calm type and would never think of beating her up.
Sometimes, the wife would just park her bag and travel to God knows where and leave her little kids without informing the husband. She then comes back after some days yet the husband kept accepting her back hoping that she would change some day.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 14, 2018
eyinjuege:

There is no battle, and stop getting emotional about it. It seems you still have feelings for your wife . Things didnt work out, and you both want to free each other and start life afresh.
Rushing to get married to spite your ex usually ends in regrets for most as they end up from frying pan to fire. While your divorce is still pending, take your time to study the woman you want to marry again.

That I shouldn't show any emotional state because my wife left me is suggesting I should become inhuman,which will be a crime against myself.I will express glee,if necessary and appropriately.

I'm a smart person,marrying for spite was never in contention,is an aberration.I was replying someone who absurdly and unreasonably thought that my seeking advice on divorce was wrong and designed to spite but marrying early was just appropriate to spite.
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 14, 2018
coolcatty:

Oga go and bring your wife back let's hear word.....you are obviously still in love with her. You still send this woman big time that's why you are here asking for a divorce. .....you need this woman more than she needs you....swallow your pride and go and beg her and her family.

A man that has moved on will not even bother about divorce. ...he will fall in love and find genuine happiness in the arms of another woman. ..get married to the new woman....your former wife is supposed to see your new wedding pictures on social media.

It's love struck men that file for divorce as revenge so that people will start counselling and begging you ....your woman is supposed to be the one filing for divorce and begging you to release her and come collect your brideprice sef so she can move on...forget this woman and move on if you can.

Stop disgracing real men jare

Coolcatty is making sense. Pls let ur wife be the one to file. Highest he does only trad with his new wifey. bigamy is 5years in jail

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by coolcatty: 8:02am On Apr 14, 2018
doreto:

I'm planning on getting a divorce at the earliest possible time.That sounds intelligent to me and within the ambit of the law.You can not let your sworn enemies find a loophole.If you get married to another woman without divorce of the initial marriage,it is a criminal offence,especially in a statutory marriage.In customary marriage ,that can be done.And that's the import of my thread: to display the wickedness of a registry marriage.

Let's look at your advice critically.Advising me to marry another wife 4 months after the end of a marriage will be counterproductive - you need to take a break,introspect,plan ahead,avoid a transitory relationship.

Discussing dissolution of marriage in Nigeria is not popular on a forum like this.So can't you think I might be fulfilling a need,if not for anything else,at least for knowledge.Obviously,like most Nigerians,subjects that require deep thoughts are untenable to you.

I'm not pleading with you to console me on my loss or otherwise,if any.I loved my wife.I don't love her now.I might love her later,posterity will tell.Let's focus on now.

If you can't make intelligent arguments please move to threads about Davido and his shenanigans.Thank you.

P.S. I expect you to delete that your aberrant post above as it exposes your ignorance and abysmal level of intelligence quotient.

More advice needed.

You are baby...I have been through more shiiit than u can ever imagine .....so when people like me talk babies like you should sit down with a jitter and pen and take notes.

You are gloating over a woman that has obviously moved on....opening thread upon threads to elicit sympathy. ....things don't work that way.....for you to stay 4 whole months alone without your wife finding a way to reach out to you and massage your lousy ego means that you have no game whatsoever. ....you are also gamelesss if you have not mastered or gotten the emotional strength to move on after 4months.

Humble yourself and learn.....seek advise and learn from people around you. ....no man with lovely character, charming do charisma files for a divorce first.....he would have moved on tey tey and will hardly remember he once had a wife......see the way that actress mimi was shouting all over social media begging her estranged husband to come and collect his brideprice. ...that's how real men behave. ....you ignore and move on...let nature take its cause.

yettymuse:
In whatever steps you want to take, in whatever way you want to show your muscles, in whatever pattern you want to announce to the world that you don't Give AF!ck...

In the next 365days, You would look back at your actions and most likely punch yourself to death.

By the way, I hope you have the time and resource to waste on this your new venture (divorce), I for say make you use the time go hustle hard!

Please advise the man-boy with a loud mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 14, 2018
yettymuse:

The courts will b the wrong place to go as the man. She can file for divorce no p. If he wants to remarry let him don trad first b4 he is fully released by the courts. Nigeria is changing o
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by coolcatty: 8:07am On Apr 14, 2018
Pipedreams:

Coolcatty is making sense. But bigamy is 5years in jail

No bro......you don't have to do church/court marriage.

Marrying multiple women traditionally is not a crime

Having a live-in lover is not a crime too

Having baby mamas is no crime.

That nigggah needs a distraction. ....he needs a woman that will take his mind off his ex. ....that's what he needs now....not looking for divorce.
His wife is supposed to beg him for a divorce. ..not the other way round.

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 14, 2018
coolcatty:

No bro......you don't have to do church/court marriage.

Marrying multiple women traditionally is not a crime

Having a live-in lover is not a crime too

Having baby mamas is no crime.

That nigggah needs a distraction. ....he needs a woman that will take his mind off his ex. ....that's what he needs now....not looking for divorce.
His wife is supposed to beg him for a divorce. ..not the other way round.

Naso bro. Watsapp me bro make we reason
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by appsdope(m): 8:35am On Apr 14, 2018
Doreto,

I've read your previous post and I must say that divorce is not an option. You wife is not insensitive but pride is her problem. She doesn't call when their is a misunderstanding until you call her. The truth is, no marriage is perfect but we should try to carry our own crosses. You won't tell me that you're a saint, nah!. You have your own flaws just like she has hers. 4 months and not speaking and I can bet my head that she hasn't moved on. Its still the ego we are talking about. I'm guessing she doesn't have good friends or is not social cos if she did, they would've talked her into calling you. I don't know your wife but you know her too well. You've seen these flaws but somehow you still love her enough to want a reconciliation. Oga, in a marriage one must be better than the other. Its very bad if the woman is more mature than the man. As the head of your home, you must be more mature than her. What I'll advise is this,
Call her and ask her to meet you and then discuss your marriage. Ask her if she still wants it. If you have money to file for divorce then you should have money for a councillor. The councillor will ask you both to bare you minds on each other. She won't tell you your flaws to your face but she will tell the councillor and same as u too. The councillor will now help you. Divorce is not option. You might just be managing a girl with decayed teeth not knowing that your neighbour's own has mouth odor. There is no perfect woman. You'll make her perfect for you. If she is too stubborn, you take away some of the goodies you give to her. If she has you 8 hours out of 24 then you cut it to three. Oga there are so many ways to kill a rat. Most people shouting divorce here are not even married. If she is just your wife then you make her your best friend. Friendship is better. Someday the love will no longer be there, but the friendship will keep you. Man up and take the right steps. Nobody online knows her better than u. She's not entirely stupid. There is something in her that attracts u. Oga stand up and shake body. Get her back and make her bend down. You're overpetting her and thats what she still wants. that petting you've been doing all along. Na u start am na. Stop am

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by eyinjuege: 8:46am On Apr 14, 2018
doreto:

That I shouldn't show any emotional state because my wife left me is suggesting I should become inhuman,which will be a crime against myself.I will express glee,if necessary and appropriately.

I'm a smart person,marrying for spite was never in contention,is an aberration.I was replying someone who absurdly and unreasonably thought that my seeking advice on divorce was wrong and designed to spite but marrying early was just appropriate to spite.

My point is, get a divorce because that's what you want and what's appropriate for you as an individual. You need to be clear headed when you make certain important and life changing decisions like divorce, marriage. Letting your emotions get a hold of you and influencing your decisions oftentimes makes one take the wrong decisions.
Be pragmatic about your marriage, if its a bad one that needs to end, so be it. Let it end because that's what's right for you, not because you want to show her pepper. This is a time for personal reflections most importantly. You can be relieved or even glad a bad marriage is over.
However if you're not over her, and deep down you still want the marriage, then try and fight for it. Go for counselling as a couple if need be, take time off on holiday alone together to reflect on your relationship and how it can be better. I understand it takes 2 to tango, and if she doesn't want same thing as you, there's nothing you can do.
But this is about what you want, that's why I said fight for it but if the divorce will give you peace of mind and as you said- glee, then go for it too.
I expect there's a separation already, and if divorce is the right thing for you just use the time pending for the divorce to do your reflections. What went wrong, where did you go wrong as an individual? how can you work on your own flaws to be a better person. this will help your next relationship and possibly make it better than the previous.

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 14, 2018
I trust the Nigerian marital legal system, them go frustrate your life enh, you would wish you didn't even open a file. Hehehehehehe don't start what you can't finish young man. Your ex abi na wife is busy healing, building her life, retracting her steps and adjusting to reality. Na you go tire!

Drops mic!

I officially sign out of this thread!

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by coolcatty: 11:26am On Apr 14, 2018
yettymuse:
I trust the Nigerian marital legal system, them go frustrate your life enh, you would wish you didn't even open a file. Hehehehehehe don't start what you can't finish young man. Your ex abi na wife is busy healing, building her life, retracting her steps and adjusting to reality. Na you go tire!

Drops mic!

I officially sign out of this thread!

No mind the guy

Instead of him to work and develop himself. ..he is busy looking for ways to revenge. ....

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Ishilove: 1:39pm On Apr 14, 2018
coolcatty:

No mind the guy

Instead of him to work and develop himself. ..he is busy looking for ways to revenge. ....
Don't be too hasty to judge. He who wears the shoes knows where it pinches.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 14, 2018
Pipedreams:

Coolcatty is making sense. Pls let ur wife be the one to file. Highest he does only trad with his new wifey. bigamy is 5years in jail
Pipedreams,when you say it like this,it makes better sense.You're obviously a smart man.I knew this before now,just trying to share the knowledge.

No mind that moniker coolcatty.The guy does not have any sense.That coolcatty one was insulting nonsense to me.
Coolcatty seems dull ,cannot express himself intelligently,with extremely morose posts as if he's still in secondary school.
Re: Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 14, 2018
coolcatty:

No mind the guy

Another nonsense. I won't allow a slowpoke like you kill my thread.
Look at this useless non-entity.
Feeling relevant as if I even know him.Guy,you're faceless and I believe you're a jobless secondary school student on midterm break.You don't know me.So when you come online,go to the threads for video games.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Life Is Simple, Life Is Easy / Pls Judge Between My Husband And Me Who's Wrong / Whose Surname Should The Baby Bear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.