Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud (21317 Views)

Angry Customer Sets Gtbank Branch Ablaze! / Angry Customer Attacks Polaris Bank On Twitter Over Poor Services / Union Bank Replies An Angry Customer Who Wants To Leave The Bank On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by oshobugie22: 6:14pm On Apr 16, 2018
Gt bank own worse dem go block ur accnt anyhow
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by maxyomi: 6:29pm On Apr 16, 2018
tflourish9:
. What of if he mistakenly revealed his security information to omeone who used it against him Is that not a possibility?

How will first bank be able to prove that?
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Winneygirl(f): 6:37pm On Apr 16, 2018
The customer will win this case.
There were a series of related fraud that happened in 2012, and CBN directed banks to implement 2 factor authentication for online transactions using the card.
If FBN had not implemented this additional security feature at the time of the fraud, they would be liable.
They shld have killed this issue long ago.
Now they will spend more in legal fees than in d amount of the fraud.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Mac2016(m): 6:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
The problem is what will be the proof that the customer did not compromise the security of his card. What an interesting case... Am following duly
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by samadexy(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2018
IHATEPUZZY:
$50 Bitcoin for sale
What's your rate
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 7:57pm On Apr 16, 2018
bendike:

You do not require pin and password apparently. Few years ago i contacted a company in the uk to buy rebuilt boshe injector nozzles for a truck. After placing my order all she did was ask for my card number (nothing else). To my surprise seconds after i called the last number i received alert on my phone! the money had been debited.
Since then i fear oh. Really cant figure out how she did it. Infact i later has to call back to explain to them that that was the first time i will be giving my number over the phone and hoped that my details will be kept safe. They assured me that is is deleted after use.
lai muhammed

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by tharaomo(f): 8:04pm On Apr 16, 2018
PcNnews:
Exclusive from JoelsBlog

News reaching JoelsBlog is An aggrieved customer of First bank of Nigeria Abolade Bode who resides in Nigeria, but whose account was alleged to have been fraudulently manipulated to shop in London and bought air tickets in Budapest, Hungary, in a bid to seek redress has renewed his legal battle against the bank.

Joined as co -defendant is Mastercard West Africa Limited

In an amended statement of claim filed on his behalf by a Lagos Lawyer, Barrister Ganiyu Bello the customer averred that he maintains a current account with First bank of Nigeria and he has been operating the bank account since 2006,he runs the account directly by cheques and with the master card procured from the bank after due payment which he uses electronically through Automated Teller Machine ATM. Master Card west Africa limited produced master card bearing MASTERARD Trade Mark .

The MasterCard west Africa limited’s MasterCard is internationally acceptable and acknowledged and therefore projected to have high technology protection of its user hence the plaintiff confidence in using the Master card.

However, Mr Abolade averred further that on 17th August ,2012 he discovered that his account with First bank was fraudulently debited with the sum of N750,509.77.arising from unknown and unauthorized transactions,.

He promptly complain via voice and then by e-mail, his complaint was acknowledged, thereafter he physically visited the head office of the bank at Marina Lagos Lagos state on several occasions and in response he was told that the matter was under investigation.

In its letter dated 5th of September, 2012 the bank denied any liability, Consequently, the Plaintiff on 6th September, 2012, wrote a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria on the same issue, in its response the Central Bank in an e-mail dated 27th of September, 2012 directed First bank to review his complaint and respond within 72hours and its solution on the matter should be made known to the Apex bank.

Whilst awaiting for the response of First bank, the plaintiff made formal complaint to Mastercard west Africa by e -mail on 10th of September, 2012 and in response, MasterCard advised the plaintiff to apply for the payment of provisional credit to his account within 60days, in accordance with the advice he forwarded to the bank by e -mail dated 11th September, 2012, a request for provisional credit to be placed on his account, but the bank did not respond to the request.

Pursuant to the directives of Central Bank of Nigeria, First bank by e -mail dated 27th of September, 2012 made available to the Central Bank of Nigeria via e -mail a copy of which was sent to him, the details of the unauthorized transactions on his account runs thus, namely :

(a) Online transaction receipt for 3 internet purchases of auto parts made by Mr Manuel Caser of 22 Greengate street London and third from Digital.

(b) Two Air Tickets purchased on Wizz Air in Budapest showing Passengers’ names Gamote Iordam and Alina Claudia Duma respectively.

The Plaintiff averred that he does not know any of these persons neither did he authorized the transactions, the bank neglected to demand from the merchants Turner Shop and Wizz Air or their banks the sum of N750509.77 arising from the unlawful transactions on his account within 60days of occurrence as per the charge process and as adviced by MasterCard.

The Plaintiff averred that there was never a time the details of his Master Card which is always in his possession disclosed to anyone, and in the circumstances of this matter First bank is liable for the online fraud committed on his account because it arose from card skimming and or counterfeiting.

The Plaintiff contended that the online Fraud committed on his account was not due to his negligence but has been perpetrated by means of other compromises of the defendants’ security because the information required for online transaction are open and accessible only to the staff of First bank who handed and passed the MasterCard to him at the inception and the staff of MASTERCARD who had the custody of the card before issuance.

The Plaintiff averred that the loss of his N750,509.77 from his account has put him under serious financial strains and stress much so that he could not carry out important projects already lined up for execution.

Mr Abolade also averred that his account which has been debit frozen since August, 2012,in order to avoid further complications has constrained him access to his funds in the account and therefore cannot transact any other businesses in the cashless environment of Lagos state.

The bank in spite of several demands has failed to reimburse him.

In consequence of the foregoing, the Plaintiff claims from the defendants jointly and severally for the reimbursement of N750,509.77 and N10million damages respectively plus interest at the rate of 21% per annum with effect from 17th of August, 2012 until entire sum is fully paid.

However, in its amended statement of defence filed by Novolex solicitors, First bank while describing the Plaintiff ‘s suit as speculative, vexatious and abuse of judicial process urged the court to dismiss same with substantial cost, on the ground that the reported transactions in this instance showed that the Plaintiff card was used to order Auto parts in United Kingdom and to pay for Airline Tickets.

These transactions could not have been possible without at least the initiator or enabler knowing the number and other details, thus buttressing the fact that the Plaintiff must have compromise his security information.

First bank also stated that as a precautionary measure to prevent further dissipation of the funds therein and to enable the bank carry out full investigation into the complained withdrawals,another account was opened for the Plaintiff to enable him to continue with his normal banking transactions.

©JOELSBLOG MEDIA NEWS
https://joelsblog.com.ng/aggrieved-customer-sues-first-bank-to-court-over-alleged-mastercard-fraud/

Good evening but is it possible to sue a bank for disclosing private details??
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Spidermon: 8:24pm On Apr 16, 2018
First bank, western union and G boys.

all their young bankers sef na scammer

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by akum78: 8:26pm On Apr 16, 2018
Choi ..
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by linearity: 8:48pm On Apr 16, 2018
Bluetooth2:

I'm yet to see where the bank is at fault here. Can you please make me understand how exactly the fraud was committed by the bank even when an online transaction requires card details and a password which is SOLELY owned and known to the plaintiff?

The Bank is negligent, they failed to file the incident with MasterCard within the required 60 days.

The guy reported to MasterCard, who then responded and asked the bank to file the incident with them within 60 days, which the bank neglected to do.

MasterCard would have issued a refund as card holders are protected from fraudulent uses.

As to who actually exposed his card info, I doubt if he can proof that, but on the negligence front, he will win. My guest is, first bank will pay him off to kill the case as I don’t see any benefit for them either they win or loss.

2 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by enonche85(m): 8:55pm On Apr 16, 2018
Flexherbal:
The bank was slow in handling the issue.

Exactly, they could have contacted the bank of the sale merchant where the items were purchased. But I think the hack came from MasterCard and first bank is refusing to acknowledge that.

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by enonche85(m): 8:57pm On Apr 16, 2018
If am the guy I will sue them for N100m!, then strike a deal with a SAN that we will share the money 40% for me and 60% for him if he wins the case.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by enonche85(m): 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2018
linearity:

The Bank is negligent, they failed to file the incident with MasterCard within the required 60 days.

The guy reported to MasterCard, who then responded and asked the bank to file the incident with them within 60 days, which the bank neglected to do.

MasterCard would have issued a refund as card holders are protected from fraudulent uses.

As to who actually exposed his card info, I doubt if he can proof that, but on the negligence front, he will win. My guest is, first bank will pay him off to kill the case as I don’t see any benefit for them either they win or loss.

There's truly no case of fraud from the part of first bank, but negligence will make them loose the case if the guy has a good lawyer to prove that because he actually reported to them and they failed to act on time.

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by jidobaba(m): 9:03pm On Apr 16, 2018
Bluetooth2:

I'm yet to see where the bank is at fault here. Can you please make me understand how exactly the fraud was committed by the bank even when an online transaction requires card details and a password which is SOLELY owned and known to the plaintiff?
Be advised.
This same scenario played out with my mastercard with gtbank last month. It was just about $50 total equivalent in naira that was debited to Hotels.com/taxify in the usa! My mastercard was just issued this year, never been out of my sight and definitely never used on Hotels.com by me ever.
Thankfully I saw the debit alerts in time and hotlisted the card in minutes. The money was still in block and was reversed after 2weeks of 'investigations'.
Needless to say I'm not collecting another atm card any time soon. Cardless withdrawals and a virtual debit card will do for the now.

P.S.
I had an idea where/when the card skimming likely happened and that may have helped my case( it was the gtbank atm at computer village)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by enonche85(m): 9:07pm On Apr 16, 2018
tharaomo:
Good evening but is it possible to sue a bank for disclosing private details??

U can sue them for their whole money sef because it's a breach of contract. You signed an agreement that they should not reveal ur details when opening the account. It's stated in that account opening form u fill.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Johnrake69: 9:08pm On Apr 16, 2018
splmosixx:
Naso dem debit me 10k while 3k Comot for ATM machine....

I just tire for the bank

You didn't go back to complain? I have experienced same. The following day went back to complain. It didn't take more than 3hours and I was credited with the balance. Although, that was Gtbank.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Henon: 9:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
PcNnews:
If na me... I will sue them to death
It can't be you since you don't have bank account, not even akawo.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Cutehector(m): 10:09pm On Apr 16, 2018
dominique:
I'm trying to get this. So the bank issued the complainant a MasterCard debit card and he never got to use instead it was used for several fraudulent transactions. They deserve the lawsuit, all the unsolicited deductions they make off thousands of customers is more than enough to reimburse the poor man
cry issues like this arise when people arent security conscious
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by bendike: 10:48pm On Apr 16, 2018
mrsefan:
lai muhammed
And what do I stand to gain from you by lying?
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by einsteino(m): 10:58pm On Apr 16, 2018
bendike:

You do not require pin and password apparently. Few years ago i contacted a company in the uk to buy rebuilt boshe injector nozzles for a truck. After placing my order all she did was ask for my card number (nothing else). To my surprise seconds after i called the last number i received alert on my phone! the money had been debited.
Since then i fear oh. Really cant figure out how she did it. Infact i later has to call back to explain to them that that was the first time i will be giving my number over the phone and hoped that my details will be kept safe. They assured me that is is deleted after use.

thats all the details you need. it is worrisome. all you need to make an online transaction is written on the face of your atm card, a pin is not needed. so if someone takes a picture of your Atm card, they can empty your account by shopping on the internet. those who buy stuff from aliexpress regularly would know this. though mastercard allow you to add a securecode request as a means of authenticating your online transactions but then again not all sites require that.

there are so much vulnerabilities sef, with your sim card and account number, one can carryout transactions via ussd for some banks.. they really dont need to know much.

So yeah it is possible. we havent even started talking about the hacks that could happen, for now any rookie can actually steal from you without needing anything bespoke.

2 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Ceejay8: 7:15am On Apr 17, 2018
OP THERES NOTHING LIKE SUES FIRSTBANK TO COURT, EITHER YOU SAY, SUES FIRSTBANK OR TAKES FIRSTBANK TO COURT, THANKS

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Assassin101: 9:59am On Apr 17, 2018
THEY SHOULD ARREST THAT ELEPHANT ON THEIR LOGO, I THINK ITS CULPABLE
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 17, 2018
bendike:

This is exactly what I'm saying. You gave your card number out before the money could be debited from your account. This man card was compromised as a result of negligent which I still presume was on his part.

All Online business platform have secured payment system that require your card number, the expiry date, your Security and sometimes your password which in any case ought to be secretly guarded by you. Even a brilliant hacker still needs you to be careless to get into your account which I believe the man may have fallen victim.

Cards are picked at random, processed and configure for a particular user at the point of collection where you will be given a pin and advised to change it immediately. Where did the bank err in all of this?
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Wakago: 3:36pm On Apr 17, 2018
mrsefan:
lai muhammed
There is no lie about that. I have purchased apps on play store many times with the same procedure and it is safe.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by splmosixx(m): 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2018
I have gone to complain, but they haven't refunded it till now

Johnrake69:

You didn't go back to complain? I have experienced same. The following day went back to complain. It didn't take more than 3hours and I was credited with the balance. Although, that was Gtbank.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by mediclife1987(m): 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2018
jidobaba:

Be advised.
This same scenario played out with my mastercard with gtbank last month. It was just about $50 total equivalent in naira that was debited to Hotels.com/taxify in the usa! My mastercard was just issued this year, never been out of my sight and definitely never used on Hotels.com by me ever.
Thankfully I saw the debit alerts in time and hotlisted the card in minutes. The money was still in block and was reversed after 2weeks of 'investigations'.
Needless to say I'm not collecting another atm card any time soon. Cardless withdrawals and a virtual debit card will do for the now.

P.S.
I had an idea where/when the card skimming likely happened and that may have helped my case( it was the gtbank atm at computer village)

You mean the ATM card at Computer Village skimmed your card? Never knew such things dey happen oh...

Also what's a virtual debit card pls?
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by jidobaba(m): 11:17pm On Apr 23, 2018
mediclife1987:

You mean the ATM card at Computer Village skimmed your card? Never knew such things dey happen oh...

Also what's a virtual debit card pls?
It happens believe me.

With a virtual card you can make online purchases without the added risk of carrying a physical card on you that can be stolen or otherwise compromised(e.g. At the atms)
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by wakes: 5:58am On Sep 23, 2018
jidobaba:

Be advised.

P.S.
Thanks for this post. I have a similar case now. My card has been fraudulently used to pay for TAXIFY and UBER services worth over N90,000! I went to the bank to hotlist my card, fill card dispute form, etc since 14th, waiting to see the funds reversed.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by PierreAbutu(m): 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2021
PcNnews:
Exclusive from JoelsBlog

News reaching JoelsBlog is An aggrieved customer of First bank of Nigeria Abolade Bode who resides in Nigeria, but whose account was alleged to have been fraudulently manipulated to shop in London and bought air tickets in Budapest, Hungary, in a bid to seek redress has renewed his legal battle against the bank.

Joined as co -defendant is Mastercard West Africa Limited

In an amended statement of claim filed on his behalf by a Lagos Lawyer, Barrister Ganiyu Bello the customer averred that he maintains a current account with First bank of Nigeria and he has been operating the bank account since 2006,he runs the account directly by cheques and with the master card procured from the bank after due payment which he uses electronically through Automated Teller Machine ATM. Master Card west Africa limited produced master card bearing MASTERARD Trade Mark .

The MasterCard west Africa limited’s MasterCard is internationally acceptable and acknowledged and therefore projected to have high technology protection of its user hence the plaintiff confidence in using the Master card.

However, Mr Abolade averred further that on 17th August ,2012 he discovered that his account with First bank was fraudulently debited with the sum of N750,509.77.arising from unknown and unauthorized transactions,.

He promptly complain via voice and then by e-mail, his complaint was acknowledged, thereafter he physically visited the head office of the bank at Marina Lagos Lagos state on several occasions and in response he was told that the matter was under investigation.

In its letter dated 5th of September, 2012 the bank denied any liability, Consequently, the Plaintiff on 6th September, 2012, wrote a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria on the same issue, in its response the Central Bank in an e-mail dated 27th of September, 2012 directed First bank to review his complaint and respond within 72hours and its solution on the matter should be made known to the Apex bank.

Whilst awaiting for the response of First bank, the plaintiff made formal complaint to Mastercard west Africa by e -mail on 10th of September, 2012 and in response, MasterCard advised the plaintiff to apply for the payment of provisional credit to his account within 60days, in accordance with the advice he forwarded to the bank by e -mail dated 11th September, 2012, a request for provisional credit to be placed on his account, but the bank did not respond to the request.

Pursuant to the directives of Central Bank of Nigeria, First bank by e -mail dated 27th of September, 2012 made available to the Central Bank of Nigeria via e -mail a copy of which was sent to him, the details of the unauthorized transactions on his account runs thus, namely :

(a) Online transaction receipt for 3 internet purchases of auto parts made by Mr Manuel Caser of 22 Greengate street London and third from Digital.

(b) Two Air Tickets purchased on Wizz Air in Budapest showing Passengers’ names Gamote Iordam and Alina Claudia Duma respectively.

The Plaintiff averred that he does not know any of these persons neither did he authorized the transactions, the bank neglected to demand from the merchants Turner Shop and Wizz Air or their banks the sum of N750509.77 arising from the unlawful transactions on his account within 60days of occurrence as per the charge process and as adviced by MasterCard.

The Plaintiff averred that there was never a time the details of his Master Card which is always in his possession disclosed to anyone, and in the circumstances of this matter First bank is liable for the online fraud committed on his account because it arose from card skimming and or counterfeiting.

The Plaintiff contended that the online Fraud committed on his account was not due to his negligence but has been perpetrated by means of other compromises of the defendants’ security because the information required for online transaction are open and accessible only to the staff of First bank who handed and passed the MasterCard to him at the inception and the staff of MASTERCARD who had the custody of the card before issuance.

The Plaintiff averred that the loss of his N750,509.77 from his account has put him under serious financial strains and stress much so that he could not carry out important projects already lined up for execution.

Mr Abolade also averred that his account which has been debit frozen since August, 2012,in order to avoid further complications has constrained him access to his funds in the account and therefore cannot transact any other businesses in the cashless environment of Lagos state.

The bank in spite of several demands has failed to reimburse him.

In consequence of the foregoing, the Plaintiff claims from the defendants jointly and severally for the reimbursement of N750,509.77 and N10million damages respectively plus interest at the rate of 21% per annum with effect from 17th of August, 2012 until entire sum is fully paid.

However, in its amended statement of defence filed by Novolex solicitors, First bank while describing the Plaintiff ‘s suit as speculative, vexatious and abuse of judicial process urged the court to dismiss same with substantial cost, on the ground that the reported transactions in this instance showed that the Plaintiff card was used to order Auto parts in United Kingdom and to pay for Airline Tickets.

These transactions could not have been possible without at least the initiator or enabler knowing the number and other details, thus buttressing the fact that the Plaintiff must have compromise his security information.

First bank also stated that as a precautionary measure to prevent further dissipation of the funds therein and to enable the bank carry out full investigation into the complained withdrawals,another account was opened for the Plaintiff to enable him to continue with his normal banking transactions.

©JOELSBLOG MEDIA NEWS
https://joelsblog.com.ng/aggrieved-customer-sues-first-bank-to-court-over-alleged-mastercard-fraud/

Please, if you have the citation or law report for this cade, kindly quote me with kt

Thanks in advance

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Success Of Tecno: A Business Lesson For All / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days / Guidelines For Company Registration In Nigeria (register Your Company)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.