Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud (21322 Views)

Angry Customer Sets Gtbank Branch Ablaze! / Angry Customer Attacks Polaris Bank On Twitter Over Poor Services / Union Bank Replies An Angry Customer Who Wants To Leave The Bank On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by PcNnews(m): 10:22am On Apr 16, 2018
Exclusive from JoelsBlog

News reaching JoelsBlog is An aggrieved customer of First bank of Nigeria Abolade Bode who resides in Nigeria, but whose account was alleged to have been fraudulently manipulated to shop in London and bought air tickets in Budapest, Hungary, in a bid to seek redress has renewed his legal battle against the bank.

Joined as co -defendant is Mastercard West Africa Limited

In an amended statement of claim filed on his behalf by a Lagos Lawyer, Barrister Ganiyu Bello the customer averred that he maintains a current account with First bank of Nigeria and he has been operating the bank account since 2006,he runs the account directly by cheques and with the master card procured from the bank after due payment which he uses electronically through Automated Teller Machine ATM. Master Card west Africa limited produced master card bearing MASTERARD Trade Mark .

The MasterCard west Africa limited’s MasterCard is internationally acceptable and acknowledged and therefore projected to have high technology protection of its user hence the plaintiff confidence in using the Master card.

However, Mr Abolade averred further that on 17th August ,2012 he discovered that his account with First bank was fraudulently debited with the sum of N750,509.77.arising from unknown and unauthorized transactions,.

He promptly complain via voice and then by e-mail, his complaint was acknowledged, thereafter he physically visited the head office of the bank at Marina Lagos Lagos state on several occasions and in response he was told that the matter was under investigation.

In its letter dated 5th of September, 2012 the bank denied any liability, Consequently, the Plaintiff on 6th September, 2012, wrote a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria on the same issue, in its response the Central Bank in an e-mail dated 27th of September, 2012 directed First bank to review his complaint and respond within 72hours and its solution on the matter should be made known to the Apex bank.

Whilst awaiting for the response of First bank, the plaintiff made formal complaint to Mastercard west Africa by e -mail on 10th of September, 2012 and in response, MasterCard advised the plaintiff to apply for the payment of provisional credit to his account within 60days, in accordance with the advice he forwarded to the bank by e -mail dated 11th September, 2012, a request for provisional credit to be placed on his account, but the bank did not respond to the request.

Pursuant to the directives of Central Bank of Nigeria, First bank by e -mail dated 27th of September, 2012 made available to the Central Bank of Nigeria via e -mail a copy of which was sent to him, the details of the unauthorized transactions on his account runs thus, namely :

(a) Online transaction receipt for 3 internet purchases of auto parts made by Mr Manuel Caser of 22 Greengate street London and third from Digital.

(b) Two Air Tickets purchased on Wizz Air in Budapest showing Passengers’ names Gamote Iordam and Alina Claudia Duma respectively.

The Plaintiff averred that he does not know any of these persons neither did he authorized the transactions, the bank neglected to demand from the merchants Turner Shop and Wizz Air or their banks the sum of N750509.77 arising from the unlawful transactions on his account within 60days of occurrence as per the charge process and as adviced by MasterCard.

The Plaintiff averred that there was never a time the details of his Master Card which is always in his possession disclosed to anyone, and in the circumstances of this matter First bank is liable for the online fraud committed on his account because it arose from card skimming and or counterfeiting.

The Plaintiff contended that the online Fraud committed on his account was not due to his negligence but has been perpetrated by means of other compromises of the defendants’ security because the information required for online transaction are open and accessible only to the staff of First bank who handed and passed the MasterCard to him at the inception and the staff of MASTERCARD who had the custody of the card before issuance.

The Plaintiff averred that the loss of his N750,509.77 from his account has put him under serious financial strains and stress much so that he could not carry out important projects already lined up for execution.

Mr Abolade also averred that his account which has been debit frozen since August, 2012,in order to avoid further complications has constrained him access to his funds in the account and therefore cannot transact any other businesses in the cashless environment of Lagos state.

The bank in spite of several demands has failed to reimburse him.

In consequence of the foregoing, the Plaintiff claims from the defendants jointly and severally for the reimbursement of N750,509.77 and N10million damages respectively plus interest at the rate of 21% per annum with effect from 17th of August, 2012 until entire sum is fully paid.

However, in its amended statement of defence filed by Novolex solicitors, First bank while describing the Plaintiff ‘s suit as speculative, vexatious and abuse of judicial process urged the court to dismiss same with substantial cost, on the ground that the reported transactions in this instance showed that the Plaintiff card was used to order Auto parts in United Kingdom and to pay for Airline Tickets.

These transactions could not have been possible without at least the initiator or enabler knowing the number and other details, thus buttressing the fact that the Plaintiff must have compromise his security information.

First bank also stated that as a precautionary measure to prevent further dissipation of the funds therein and to enable the bank carry out full investigation into the complained withdrawals,another account was opened for the Plaintiff to enable him to continue with his normal banking transactions.

©JOELSBLOG MEDIA NEWS
https://joelsblog.com.ng/aggrieved-customer-sues-first-bank-to-court-over-alleged-mastercard-fraud/

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by PcNnews(m): 10:23am On Apr 16, 2018
If na me... I will sue them to death

8 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 16, 2018
Chai, First bank's elephant too don swallow money!

33 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by dominique(f): 11:58am On Apr 16, 2018
I'm trying to get this. So the bank issued the complainant a MasterCard debit card and he never got to use instead it was used for several fraudulent transactions. They deserve the lawsuit, all the unsolicited deductions they make off thousands of customers is more than enough to reimburse the poor man

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by divinehand2003(m): 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2018
Since 2012. This is 2018. Maybe the conclusion of the matter in court will be by 2038.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Edu3Again: 5:32pm On Apr 16, 2018
slotA4:
Chai, so true true the elephant don swallow money
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 16, 2018
'Sues to court', it's okay

What's up with First Bank and these negative vibes these days sef? Even Bet9ja has removed them from their withdrawal page.

7 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by wwwtortoise(m): 5:32pm On Apr 16, 2018
angry

These commercial banks always fail to take responsibility for such financial mishaps.

With a good lawyer, Mr Abolade Bode will get his money back for sure.

3 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Aventador: 5:34pm On Apr 16, 2018
They don enter one chance
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by splmosixx(m): 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2018
Naso dem debit me 10k while 3k Comot for ATM machine....

I just tire for the bank

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by ednut1(m): 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2018
Post legit source
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Timagex(m): 5:37pm On Apr 16, 2018
Me could not access my money because its public holiday
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by ipobarecriminals: 5:37pm On Apr 16, 2018
embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Flexherbal(m): 5:38pm On Apr 16, 2018
The bank was slow in handling the issue.
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by PETUK(m): 5:40pm On Apr 16, 2018
Sue First Bank to Court?

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by fourhayz: 5:40pm On Apr 16, 2018
Am also planning a Law suit against them

5 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Silvano34: 5:41pm On Apr 16, 2018
I will like to see the end of this case.

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by nelsonebby(m): 5:41pm On Apr 16, 2018
some should summarize what the topic is talking about. thanks
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 16, 2018
dominique:
I'm trying to get this. So the bank issued the complainant a MasterCard debit card and he never got to use instead it was used for several fraudulent transactions. They deserve the lawsuit, all the unsolicited deductions they make off thousands of customers is more than enough to reimburse the poor man

I'm yet to see where the bank is at fault here. Can you please make me understand how exactly the fraud was committed by the bank even when an online transaction requires card details and a password which is SOLELY owned and known to the plaintiff?

9 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by seunlayi(m): 5:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
Nigeria banks and politicians are miking Ńaija since 1914

2 Likes

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Tberry01(f): 5:45pm On Apr 16, 2018
First Bank
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Freeman59: 5:49pm On Apr 16, 2018
Most guys who have commented on this issue didn't read the post.

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 16, 2018
slotA4:

since 2012, dat means first bank was the pioneer animal swallower of money in nigeria b4 jamb snake et al and co bt it wasn't known to us ..NA BUHARI CUZ AM SHA CUZ RECESSION DON WIRE MY OGA DATZ Y HE IS RE-DOUBLING HIS EFFORT TRU d SUE 2get d doo..
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by chymes0359(m): 6:00pm On Apr 16, 2018
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2018
divinehand2003:
Since 2012. This is 2018. Maybe the conclusion of the matter in court will be by 2038.

them go put interest inside na.. u dey sleep?
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by tflourish9: 6:05pm On Apr 16, 2018
dominique:
. What of if he mistakenly revealed his security information to someone who used it against him Is that not a possibility?

1 Like

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by NaijaCover(m): 6:06pm On Apr 16, 2018
Too Bad

Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by Thebrightest(m): 6:10pm On Apr 16, 2018
NAWA OOO
Re: Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud by bendike: 6:14pm On Apr 16, 2018
Bluetooth2:

I'm yet to see where the bank is at fault here. Can you please make me understand how exactly the fraud was committed by the bank even when an online transaction requires card details and a password which is SOLELY owned and known to the plaintiff?

You do not require pin and password apparently. Few years ago i contacted a company in the uk to buy rebuilt boshe injector nozzles for a truck. After placing my order all she did was ask for my card number (nothing else). To my surprise seconds after i called the last number i received alert on my phone! the money had been debited.
Since then i fear oh. Really cant figure out how she did it. Infact i later has to call back to explain to them that that was the first time i will be giving my number over the phone and hoped that my details will be kept safe. They assured me that is is deleted after use.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn How I make Money Online as a Freelancer / The Success Of Tecno: A Business Lesson For All / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.