Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards (4682 Views)

Poll: Which one of these 5 forwards would you pick for the final 23-man squad?

Ike Uche: 42% (3 votes)
Anichebe: 28% (2 votes)
Peter Utaka: 14% (1 vote)
Ideye: 0% (0 votes)
John Utaka: 14% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Nigerian Ambassador To South Africa Hosts Super Eagles Team At His House. Pics / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Who Would You Pick To Complete Your First 11: Messi Or Ronaldo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 9:10am On May 15, 2010
Hello there,

Based on the list of 30 players submitted by TA Lars Lagerback for the squad representing Nigeria in South Africa this summer, I believe that the final 23 would include 6 forwards, tops. Forwards = wingers + strikers.

I'm sure we will all agree that Lars will be taking:
- Odemwingie
- Nsofor
- Obasi
- Martins
- Yakubu

That leaves only 1 spot for another forward. Who do you think that would be?

1. Ikechukwu Uche
2. Peter Utaka
3. John Utaka
4. Anichebe
5. Ideye lipsrsealed

PS: Kalu Uche and Kanu are considered as midfield players for Nigeria.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by temmytanny(m): 9:50am On May 15, 2010
i would go for anichebe cos of his hunger and passion for the game
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 10:11am On May 15, 2010
Well, that makes 2 votes for Anichebe because I would DEFINITELY pick him. I like him for his pace and physical presence. He can play on the wings and as an anchor striker.
Had Ik Uche been a 100% match fit, I'd have chosen him. However, we all know that isn't the case.

John Utaka isn't that dynamic forward we once knew from the French Ligue 1. His bro, Peter, is handicapped by his Danish League price tag. Ideye. . .  must I even give a reason? Seriously.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by 12large: 2:59pm On May 15, 2010
no way would i drop ikechukwu uche, expecially when we are likely to meet france in round of 16. my 6 would be

anichebe
   martins
  obinna
  obasi
  odemwingie
  i.k uche

please who told you that yakubu is quarantedd a spot, so if he plays bad most likely in this 2 friendly game, then what makes you think lagerback will take him. anichebe can be the power striker that lagerback would use
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 4:15pm On May 15, 2010
If you say so, 12large. If you say so. u_u

If it were by personal preference, my 6 would be:

1. Odemwingie
2. Ik Uche
3. Martins
4. Anichebe
5. Obasi
6. Nsofor
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by honeric01(m): 7:42pm On May 16, 2010
12large:

please who told you that yakubu is quarantedd a spot, so if he plays bad most likely in this 2 friendly game, then what makes you think lagerback will take him. anichebe can be the power striker that lagerback would use

well, i read somewhere that largerback stated that the reason he dropped emerano was because yakubu is also as bulky as emerano and that there was no way he would have gone to the worldcup with 2 bulky strikers, that means Yakubu's got an automatic shirt, i don't see Anichebe making the list, not possible, not with largerback, so my list goes thus:

- Odemwingie
- Nsofor
- Ik Uche
- Martins
- Yakubu
- Peter Utaka
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 8:04pm On May 16, 2010
^^^ No Obasi? Yeeeeeaaah, not going to happen. He's still one of our most prolific goalscorers this season, and he isn't even a center forward. So, no, honeric01. Just no.
Good, good try though.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by honeric01(m): 8:10pm On May 16, 2010
you said Who Would You Pick? right? well, thats my pick, you shouldn't be surprise if largerbeer end up dropping obasi.

when he played at the nations cup, i only played well in just a game against Egypt, he was a shadow of himself throughout the tournament, so don't be surprised if he's dropped. what he can do, I.K Uche can do better. cool
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 8:38pm On May 16, 2010
^^^ Yes, Ik Uche at FULL POTENTIAL (match fitness and what not) can definitely do better than Obasi. But I will never pick Peter Utaka ahead of Obasi. And yes, I've seen P. Utaka play a few times so my judgment isn't biased. . . I think. tongue
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by honeric01(m): 9:25pm On May 16, 2010
well, i don't want an on and off striker like obasi, i want consistent but sorry, obasi lacks that.

i.k uche is already fit bro, he has joined the first team and has been playing, i think he played the last match too.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Gekko(m): 9:43pm On May 16, 2010
We need Victor Anichebe. cool
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 9:49pm On May 16, 2010
@honeric01
Nah, Uche aint match fit. He didn't play the last 2 matches of the season with Zaragoza. He only played for 15 minutes during his team's 3rd to last match of the season. The dude is definitely not match fit.
You must have mistaken his stats with his bro's, Kalu. He has had more regular action.

@Gekko
Good choice. cool
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by honeric01(m): 10:33pm On May 16, 2010
nope bro, he's fit, i still prefer him as he's now to obasi, i repeat, i can't take an obasi who's hardly consistent to the worldcup to the detriment of strikers like i.k uche, p. utaka, ahmed musa and co just because he knows how to score for his club.

how many goals has he scored for us since he's been playing for the S.E?
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 17, 2010
Its definitely going to be Anichebe i would pick from that list. That young man would like to prove himself in WC.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by ElPipita(m): 4:20pm On May 17, 2010
Odemingwe
Anichebe
Obafemi
Sadly, Yakubu
Obasi
Ikechukwu Uche
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by deb(m): 4:20pm On May 17, 2010
Peter Utaka my number 1 choice based on current form
Obafemi Martins (pedigree)
Osaze Odemwingie (pedigree)
Ike Uche
Yakubu then
Obasi
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by ElPipita(m): 4:24pm On May 17, 2010
@deb, although I think Peter Utaka is the highest scoring Nigerian striker for last season, I think the quality of the league has to come into the question.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by otokx(m): 4:29pm On May 17, 2010
I can't believe that someone is talking of round of 16 already.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by deb(m): 4:46pm On May 17, 2010
@ ElPipita

My brother If you can score in the Danish league you can score anywhere. Peter Utaka can score with his eyes closed
and its not all great footballers that start out playing from the top leagues, your talent announces you and you get
noticed by the big clubs. That is what is happening to Peter Utaka now. He deserves a world cup place based on his
current form.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by ijcu(m): 4:48pm On May 17, 2010

plizzzz employ amodu again  what is happening in this land ?
selection of players without training/ camping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
infact argentina should be encouraged to beat nigeria silly or maybe angola should be drafted in place of nigeria so that we go only to the world cup when we are ready cool cool cool cool.
fifa should monitor nations and have instruments they can use to punish unserious nations or better still make them give way to more serious nations. grin wink grin wink.
i think all nigerians deserve a public apology and anxiolytics(free of course) for being subjected to the farce called "preparation". cool cool
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by gidson12(m): 4:48pm On May 17, 2010
dont really care undecided
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Iyineda(m): 4:58pm On May 17, 2010
^^^ Yeah, now I know you don't. But I didn't need to in the 1st place. Why leave such a useless comment and mock my thread? Wtf? Seriously. . .
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by kayjasper(f): 5:04pm On May 17, 2010
[color=#990000][/color]
Odemwinge
Nsofor
Martins
Rashidi Yekini
Abiodun Baruwa.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by KGREAT(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2010
@Iyineda,
I'm annoyed with this list for seeing Yakubu in that list. please remove him before anything! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by shoboy9: 5:23pm On May 17, 2010
Martins is a prime example of how nigerian media can hype a superflop. He can't cut it on the big stage never will, sorry.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Agbalanze(m): 5:49pm On May 17, 2010
I dont know who should be there but i know who shouldn't be, Yakubu angry angry sad
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Kgdavid(m): 6:24pm On May 17, 2010
well i think lagerback has already indicated a strong interest in peter utaka so my list of 8(it has to be eight if it includes both strikers and wingers as each position usually is represented by two players) would be
peter utaka(CF)
obafemi martins(CF)
ike uche(flank) (fit or not though i dont think his fitness will be an issue)
anichebe(CF)
odemwingie (flank)
nsofor(CF)
john utaka(flank)
ogbuke(flank)

its interesting to note that all the above players with the exception of john utaka play their club football as strikers but since nigeria has refused to produce notable wingers then i guess we will have to adapt based on who has the most pace, skill and crossing ability.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by comechop(m): 6:47pm On May 17, 2010
I dont get this. Is the squad really the very best Nigeria can bring to the WC Its either that our skill level has drastically gone down from back in my playing days, or just wayyyy too much politics involved in this.

Either way, tragic story.

Spain all the way!!
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by sultan003(m): 8:55pm On May 17, 2010
My pick is b/w Peter Utaka and IK Uche. But if am to choose, then it will be P.Utaka. Am not fully convinced that IK uche is fully fit for the task ahead.

Anichebe is not a big game player and he doesn't live up to expectation attimes.

My pick : 1. Yakubu
2. Martins
3. Obasi
4. Osaze
5. Nsofor
6. P. Utaka
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Onaolamipo: 10:26pm On May 17, 2010
I also vote for Ike obasi because he is a very good player
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by Kgdavid(m): 12:03am On May 18, 2010
comechop:

I dont get this. Is the squad really the very best Nigeria can bring to the WC Its either that our skill level has drastically gone down from back in my playing days, or just wayyyy too much politics involved in this.

Either way, tragic story.

Spain all the way!!

my friend the name of your capital city is not Paris, Buenos Aires, Madrid, Lisbon and most definitely not Rio de Janeiro! it is Abuja! wake up o! an agbalummo tree must bring forth agbalummo fruits and not apples and therefore nigeria must bring forth yakubu and not ronaldo.
Re: Who Would You Pick - Super Eagles Forwards by toluxa1(m): 12:25am On May 18, 2010
First of all Let me assure you guys that We'll be going to the World Cup with nothing less than 7 Strikers. Secondly I don't see Peter Utaka being omitted from that list at all. Someone said he has seen him play. I don't think so. Or maybe once. I've been following this guy for sometime and he's simply amazing. I've watched some youtube videos of some of His goals last season. Total goals He has scored this season is more that the combined goals of ALL the other strikers on the list. I think He'll be on the starting 11 sef.

(1) (2) (Reply)

All About Latest News, Gist, Gossip, Health, Fitness, Sports, Worldnews, / The Abuja International Marathon Has Been Postponed To April 2023 / Uk Pool Week 20 Live Draws 3/3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.