Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,572 members, 7,820,056 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck (7237 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / In Losing Power, Goodluck Jonathan Finally Finds Himself-olusegun Adeniyi / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by ud4u: 5:09pm On May 17, 2010
Right step in the right direction if only it can be achieved.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On May 17, 2010
Gekko:

I am paying roughly the equivalent of 6000 naira for uninterrupted electricty abroad, isn't Nigerians paying more to buy diesel to power generators?

But how many Nigerians can currently afford the generators and paying of diesel? If Government spends 72 Billion to generate electricity for all the country, how many people will be able to afford the uninterrupted electricity then? How many people can afford 6000 Naira a month today(in Nigeria) to afford electricity, assuming that will be the cost when we finally fix the power issue? Unless we are advocating Government not only supply electricity but also subsidize the cost for seriously low income households(which happen to be the majority in our country), the cost issue is a real problem that we need a solution to, in my opinion.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by ProAnti: 5:28pm On May 17, 2010
I think the government should start developing a policy framework for state distribution before coming out with these political statements.
How soon is SOON?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by assetstrip(m): 5:43pm On May 17, 2010
I think we should wholeheartedly support Goodluck in this endeavour, because it will be the spark ( no pun intended ) needed to actually see a realization of power generation in Nigeria. We know it can be done coz other countries have steady power so why can't naija, the simple answer is if the leaders of this country want to, it will happen.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by ijcu(m): 5:57pm On May 17, 2010
excellent grin grin grin grin grin.
cool cool cool cool cool[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by assetstrip(m): 6:21pm On May 17, 2010
I just think its a no brainer, get the states to generate their own power, hook up to the national grid and any extra power generated they will be paid.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Moves: 6:24pm On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But how many Nigerians can currently afford the generators and paying of diesel? If Government spends 72 Billion to generate electricity for all the country, how many people will be able to afford the uninterrupted electricity then? How many people can afford 6000 Naira a month today(in Nigeria) to afford electricity, assuming that will be the cost when we finally fix the power issue? Unless we are advocating Government not only supply electricity but also subsidize the cost for seriously low income households(which happen to be the majority in our country), the cost issue is a real problem that we need a solution to, in my opinion.
@ Kobo; I would say about 40% of the working population would be able to afford N6000 per month towards electricity but we all are not going to use the same amount of energy~~I dare say that most people living in face me I face you rooms accomodation should not be paying more than N1500 each  based on their consumption; and if they can afford the nice things electrical equipments that would consume N6000 per month energy then they should be able to afford paying such as amount~ example I went on holiday for a month; had my fridge and freezer running and also left a few lights on ~ and my bill for that month including standing charges was less than £15.
Moreover~pricing patterns canbe used and business users would pay more as in the west~ we energy charges during the daytime is more expensive~ affordability cannot be used as an excuse to lack of investment for 24\7 electricity.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by assetstrip(m): 6:30pm On May 17, 2010
Like i said earlier if the govt really want to make it happen it'll happen.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by netotse(m): 6:41pm On May 17, 2010
and of course no one reads previous replies before posting. . .

it is already possible for states to own their own distribution and indeed generation apparatus. . . there's a process that has to be followed that's all, and i can promise you, jonathan is not going to change the process, the statement he made was an appeal to emotions, when he asks the minister of state how far, they'll explain what's on ground to him and he'll hold his tongue. . .c'est fini
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On May 17, 2010
Moves:

@ Kobo; I would say about 40% of the working population would be able to afford N6000 per month towards electricity but we all are not going to use the same amount of energy~~
I am glad you have 40% of the WORKING POPULATION and not 40% of the POPULATION OF NIGERIA up there.
Moves:

Moreover~pricing patterns canbe used and business users would pay more as in the west~ we energy charges during the daytime is more expensive~ affordability cannot be used as an excuse to lack of investment for 24\7 electricity.
How many businesses can afford that amount right now? Many businesses have been forced to close shop because they cannot afford running their biz on diesel, and the Naira 6000 is a conservative estimate here. I actually expect it to be more than that if we spend upwards of $40 Billion on our electricity problem in Nigeria. Someone, on another thread claimed to pay less than $5 for 15 days of electricity with the current supply rate, that is practically free of charge right there. I expect that to dissappear as soon as we start spending billions from private pockets to finally fix the problem.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Nymphnode(m): 6:55pm On May 17, 2010
netotse:

it is already possible for states to own their own distribution and indeed generation apparatus. . . there's a process that has to be followed that's all, and i can promise you, jonathan is not going to change the process, the statement he made was an appeal to emotions, when he asks the minister of state how far, they'll explain what's on ground to him and he'll hold his tongue. . .c'est fini

WORD
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Fhemmmy: 7:44pm On May 17, 2010
Thanks Joe
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by oderemo(m): 7:47pm On May 17, 2010
Kobo; I would say about 40% of the working population would be able to afford N6000 per month towards electricity .
what a gross exageration of Nigeria WORKING POPULATION in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 8:02pm On May 17, 2010
If electricity is provided people will pay for it. Its not about any 40% of the population. Stop pulling statistics out of your buttholes. If constant electricity is available, there is no Nigerian that will cut his own light saying he cannot pay for it. How many Nigerians can afford BRT by all this statistics? After all they are supposed to live on 1 dollar a day.
Now for the current administration to make it possible is another case. Its still in talking phase After all, in 2007 a dead president spoke of 10000mw.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

If electricity is provided people will pay for it. Its not about any 40% of the population. Stop pulling statistics out of your buttholes. If constant electricity is available, there is no Nigerian that will cut his own light saying he cannot pay for it. How many Nigerians can afford BRT by all this statistics? After all they are supposed to live on 1 dollar a day.
Now for the current administration to make it possible is another case. Its still in talking phase After all, in 2007 a dead president spoke of 10000mw.

How will they pay for it?

How much did the BRT project cost Government? How much does Government make from the use of the service? Is the project running a loss or breaking even each month? Or does it, like most other government projects out there enjoy influx of 'free' government money to continue?

So, Nigerians who live on $1 a day( $30 a month) can afford to pay $30 a month for electricty(lets assume that is the base cost we get at the end of it all), and in addition afford rent and food?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 8:29pm On May 17, 2010
So what you are saying is that Nigerians cannot afford it and therefore electricity should not be provided because they simply cannot afford it? How is this even a point of argument?

Please, the real issue is if Jonathan can and will actually improve power in Nigeria. Is this the same old gisting that we heard when Obj and Yaradua came in? Can he come through with this his plan to sanitise distribution
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by netotse(m): 8:30pm On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

How will they pay for it?

How much did the BRT project cost Government? How much does Government make from the use of the service? Is the project running a loss or breaking even each month? Or does it, like most other government projects out there enjoy influx of 'free' government money to continue?

So, Nigerians who live on $1 a day( $30 a month) can afford to pay $30 a month for electricty(lets assume that is the base cost we get at the end of it all), and in addition afford rent and food?
well if we get the electricity up and running, it'll stimulate a lot of sectors and hopefully increasing the size of the working population. . .

while i'm glad that you understand the issues at play, you seem to be focusing on the problems and not giving any thought to the solutions, truth is we need creative people to reason a way out of this mess, cos government cant even fund the development of the sector entirely by themselves. . .best they can do is let private companies do it and subsidize. . .
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by edoyad(m): 8:32pm On May 17, 2010
I now understand it when some people say many NLers post from abroad and don't know didley squat about Nigeria. What is 6k a month for stable electricity ?
Many of those people who live in face-me-i-face-yous have i-pass-my-neighbours running on petrol bought at 70 naira per liter if you don't know grin . Even unemployed Nigerians who sell recharge cards and charge phone batteries for a living have gen. sets which they also have to service regularly. Look at the rubbish some ignoram(uses)i are saying here, that 6k is too much to pay so the plan is not viable Did anyone ever tell you that 6k was the flat rate ? Nigerians already pay some of the highest rates for phone calls so what are you on about ?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Omolulu(m): 8:33pm On May 17, 2010
edoyad:

I now understand it when some people say many NLers post from abroad and don't know didley squat about Nigeria. What is 6k a month for stable electricity ?
Many of those people who live in face-me-i-face-yous have i-pass-my-neighbours running on petrol bought at 70 naira per liter if you don't know grin . Even unemployed Nigerians who sell recharge cards and charge phone batteries for a living have gen. sets which they also have to service regularly. Look at the rubbish some ignoram(uses)i are saying here, that 6k is too much to pay so the plan is not viable Did anyone ever tell you that 6k was the flat rate ? Nigerians already pay some of the highest rates for phone calls so what are you on about ?
true,true,
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:34pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

So what you are saying is that Nigerians cannot afford it and therefore electricity should not be provided because they simply cannot afford it? How is this even a point of argument?

Please, the real issue is if Jonathan can and will actually improve power in Nigeria. Is this the same old gisting that we heard when Obj and Yaradua came in? Can he come through with this his plan to sanitise distribution

Don't pretend to know what I am saying. I only asked you questions of your own assertions in this issue.

Regardless of who, in the end, does provide us electricity, I believe we will have to deal with the cost issue. If the private sector is going to handle this, then Government might have to provide subsidies, just as it has had to in so many other areas. Can our government afford it? The private sector will definitely not want to supply electricity in a situation where they might not be able to recoup their costs in the time shareholders expect. And to the average Nigerian, the issue of cost is definitely of concern.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 8:35pm On May 17, 2010
netotse:

well if we get the electricity up and running, it'll stimulate a lot of sectors and hopefully increasing the size of the working population. . .

while i'm glad that you understand the issues at play, you seem to be focusing on the problems and not giving any thought to the solutions, truth is we need creative people to reason a way out of this mess, cos government cant even fund the development of the sector entirely by themselves. . .best they can do is let private companies do it and subsidize. . .

Absolutely, the private sector must come in to help develop power distribution. After all, how many Nigerians could afford telecom bills when only Nitel was running 090. If these things are available as desired, people will purchase.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On May 17, 2010
netotse:

Don't worry about reading my mind or figuring out what I am choosing to focus on. The discussion I am involved in here is on potential increase in cost of electricity when we finally get this solved for the average person and why that issue needs to be addressed from the start in order to make the best decision on what sources we go for. Even if we eventually solve the power issue 30 years from today, cost to the average Nigerian to ensure we can all afford it will definitely have to be dealt with. Other Governments deal with issues in similars ways, I don't see why we should be one-track minded even on this.

I believing in hoping for the best but at the same time, I also believe in doing some work or putting in a backup plan. You mention government subsidizing, which is what I have been saying all this while may have to happen. But have you confirmed that your govermment is even making such a plan or are you just here to tell me what to think instead, only to repeat exactly what I said in the end?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

Absolutely, the private sector must come in to help develop power distribution. After all, how many Nigerians could afford telecom bills when only Nitel was running 090. If these things are available as desired, people will purchase.

Nigeria currently pays some of the higest rates out there for telecomm service and what we have now is so many times more expensive than what we had back when Nitel was sole runner. Just something to add their.

Nitel was run 100% on government money and not a lot of thought was given to making sure to make a profit on services and all.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 8:46pm On May 17, 2010
edoyad:

I now understand it  when some people say many NLers post from abroad and don't know didley squat about Nigeria. What is 6k a month for stable electricity ?

Exactly!!

Abeg, who here actually thinks that Nigerians will have stable electricity and not pay for it? Or do we expect it free?

Kobojunkie:

Don't pretend to know what I am saying. I only asked you questions of your own assertions in this issue.

Regardless of who, in the end, does provide us electricity, I believe we will have to deal with the cost issue. If the private sector is going to handle this, then Government might have to provide subsidies, just as it has had to in so many other areas. Can our government afford it? The private sector will definitely not want to supply electricity in a situation where they might not be able to recoup their costs in the time shareholders expect. And to the average Nigerian, the issue of cost is definitely of concern.

You have highlighted one problem: That people will not be able to afford electricity. The issue of cost is a concern to everybody around the world not the average Nigerian. What you have said is not peculiar to Nigeria, or a problem that affects Nigerian electricity specially. What is your point, if you are even trying to make a point?

Can Johnathan make good on his promise in 12 months or was it all speech? and HOW can it be done?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by denony(m): 8:49pm On May 17, 2010
thats will be a great beginning
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 8:49pm On May 17, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Nigeria currently pays some of the higest rates out there for telecomm service and what we have now is so many times more expensive than what we had back when Nitel was sole runner.  Just something to add their.

Nitel was run 100% on government money and not a lot of thought was given to making sure to make a profit on services and all.

You've just shown yourself that your argument of cost is baseless.
Nigerians pay some of the highest rates, but you ask how the average Nigerian will be able to afford electricity? What is this?
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

You have highlighted one problem: That people will not be able to afford electricity. The issue of cost is a concern to everybody around the world not the average Nigerian. What you have said is not peculiar to Nigeria, or a problem that affects Nigerian electricity specially. What is your point, if you are even trying to make a point?

Can Johnathan make good on his promise in 12 months or was it all speech? and HOW can it be done?

um . . . . . When did we decide this is about providing electricity to the whole world? Does the world also have the same POWER problems that Nigeria has or is this the usual WE ARE NOT ALONE, even thoiugh we really are' take again? Why do you NEED me to be more concerned about Jonathan and his electricity plans when I never mentioned being concerned about that in any of my posts on this issue?

Again, I am more concerned on our considering solutions that are cost effective in the end. It makes little sense to me to have to burden the Nigerian people with cost of things like Electricity and Water. These ought to be essentials and not luxuries and so for the Nigerian who makes $30 a day, I would like to focus on how we can supply him electricity he can afford, rather than just assuming he can afford it because a number of people are able today to get themselves a cell phone, and a couple of minutes a month on it.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

You've just shown yourself that your argument of cost is baseless.
Nigerians pay some of the highest rates, but you ask how the average Nigerian will be able to afford electricity? What is this?

You really have a way of analysing issues, don't you? So, telling you that Nigerians already pay some of the highest rates in communication MEANS/EQUALS average Nigerians can afford electricity? WOW lipsrsealed

Ugh!!! Dude, please ignore me. Focus on arguing your way while I choose instead to focus on what I have been on before you came in to drag this into the mud with the logic you continue to offer here.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 9:08pm On May 17, 2010
Edoyad, netotse and I have shown you that your argument is flawed, but you dont want to 'gree'. LOL. Its not by anger.
Whatever, dont take it harshly.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On May 17, 2010
Choco5:

Edoyad, netotse and I have shown you that your argument is flawed, but you dont want to 'gree'. LOL. Its not by anger.
Whatever, dont take it harshly.

How did you show me this?  Can we also safely conclude, applying the logic you have offered me so far, that because the cost of telecom in Nigeria is one of the highest in Africa, Nigerians can afford healthcare? Come on!!

Snap out of this NEED TO LEAD/WIN arguments, and use your head. That the people you see and know have cell phones and receive calls on them DOES NOT MEAN all NIGERIANS can AFFORD CELL PHONES, let alone the costs that come with it. THINK! THINK!! THINK!!!

What next? Because SOME Nigerians you know have generators and buy diesel, even if for one hour for their generators means ALL NIGERIANS CAN AFFORD electricity?  You do realize someone tried that argument earlier and we dissected it and showed how it is flawed generalization. Yet, you come back at me with something exactly same, only using telecomm in this case and think it makes sense?

If you are having a hard time reasoning this one out, think of Obama's healthcare( funny I have to continue to use Obama examples to help people think better now) plan, and how it is designed in such a way as to offer over 40 million Americans who CANNOT afford healthcare, subsidies to help them afford it. Now, think of our electricity issue in sort of the same way and see how it is possibly a good idea to start thinking along the lines too. . . .Yeah USE THOSE BRAIN CELLS . . . they are there to be used! Not insulting you but come on!
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Gbawe: 9:32pm On May 17, 2010
netotse:

Indeed . I really can't understand why some folks are pedantically focusing on non-arguements that matter very little in the grand scheme of things . The considerations are really very simple. Match a large population of tenacious, innovative and enterpreneural people with stable power supply and we will witness , almost overnight, a huge growth of the SME (small-to-medium enterprise) sector with all the attendant benefits that will accrue from that.

In many developed nations (the UK for example) the SME is the backbone of the economy as it is the largest employer of labour!!! If the Government has to subsidize the end cost of electricity then so be it. The benefits of stable power supply will be huge and revolutionary for Nigeria. Besides, the power sector is different to the Petroleum sector where Government subsidy is associated with innefficiency and corruption.

Subsidizing the cost of fuel was , rightly or wrongly , deemed neccessary by Previous Government as the consideration was that it would be hard to justify high petrol cost in a nation that is the 8th largest producer of crude in the World. It can then be argued that Petroleum subsidy is not of great economic value to Nigeria - and this is why deregulation of the downstream sector is now underway.

Stable electricity , on the other hand , will directly impact positively on the economic fortune of Nigeria almost immediately . Discussion about the many benefits of stable power supply is for another day but , along with a growing SME sector, attracting FDI (foreign direct investment) will certainly become easier if foreign investors and companies , already conscious of the huge Nigerian labour market - the largest in Africa , can be assured that power supply is sufficient.

Whereas Petroleum subsidy has been of little tangible benefit to the Nigerian economy , any subsidy utilised to guarantee stable electricity will result in a counterbalancing income boost , almost overnight,  due to the various increased business, employment and economic activities that will swell Goverment and private coffers. To that end , and if we really understand what stable electricity will mean for Nigeria, we should focus on making sure that the Government of the day deliver instead of obsessing over how the average Nigerian can afford tariffs when it is obvious that commercial and industrial utilisation of power is , at this stage , perhaps more important to the survival of Nigeria than domestic consumption.

We must, at the very least, look at the aspect of stable power supply that will boost, employment, national prosperity and growth.
Re: Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck by Choco5: 9:44pm On May 17, 2010
@Kobojunkie

Choco5:

dont take it harshly.

Okay okay. . . Thanks for your points, they are valid and intelligent. okay? Thats what you want to hear. LMAO
Electricity cost, not the actual generation is the big issue - I concede.

Theres no point chatting with you, even you will admit theres little sense in your argument. Whatever.

Sorry and goodnight.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GEJ Contacts Retired Military Chiefs Over Escalating Attacks / A Country's Frustration - Chimamanda Adichie On Fuel Subsidy (NYT Article) / Obama Committee Versus Jonathan Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.