Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? (8924 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by axeman85(m): 2:12pm On Sep 06, 2010
Most organisation dont kno what it means to run a company effectively. especially a one man business or self owned company.

eg. a man has a oil and gas firm that i know. doesnt pay salary yet rides in exoctic cars, even the sister from the village sef drives a 2005/2008 vw passat all on the company expense. a senior managemtn stole over 29milliona naira and still working with the company and none of his benefits were withdrawn.

wont mention the name of the company as it has nothing to do with me. but these are reasons why people suffer . most companies dont even know the meaning of Human resources not to talk of understanding it and the laws of Nigeria are not even helping matters at all.

thats why i dey even look for multinational company to work with in 9ja so dat when month end reach we no go begin talk too many grammer or carry placard.

@warhorse

you couldnt have sait it better those highlighted reasons are the reasons why companies dont progress in nigeria and staffs are not being paid.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by matiltomd(f): 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
Uncle Bisi Olatilo (Biscon World) is a culprit, He paid Jan salary,Feb 17, Feb salary March 24th ans so on, He hired 3 graduates June last year and didn't pay them until November(October salary please).
Some employers are just plain wicked! He asked my cousin to resume March 16th. She did and asked him later that week that was she going to be paid for the remaining part of the month? He said of course not;so she asked him that how about starting the next month then,he said no,and she stopped going. BISCON=Sweatshop!
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by bisiaet: 4:10pm On Sep 06, 2010
A.I.T , Arik Air Major Culprits
This is unbeleiveable now I can understand Raymond Dokpesi frusration!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Redman44(m): 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2010
Thanks for this thread. I once worked for a dude who was starting out as a publisher in Nigeria back in 2006. This guy launched his Magazine about a month before I joined his firm. I had just completed my NYSC and was really looking for a job. My dad was not helping matters as he said I had to get a job and start planning to start out on my own. Due to my love for writing, I applied to many Media houses and Advertising agencies to no avail. I was nearly employed by This Day Newspapers but because I was still a Corper, my appointment was delayed until the end of the service year. After the service year, I scurried down to the paper's offices in Apapa, but I was told the company had finished recruiting new people.

Anyway, I got a 'job' with this guy I'm talking about. I started churning out stories and carrying out interviews for his Magazine. My salary was 15,000 Naira [ I'm just laughing as I type this ], yet this publisher could not pay me for months. He hired about 4 of us as writer-reporters and had a secretary. He could not pay the editorial staff and was always avoiding coming to the office. Sometimes, he gave us the Magazine to sell ourselves. I would sell my copies and he would collect the money. I discovered that I had more knowledge than the guy when it comes to publishing and Media Matters. It got to a stage I was trekking to work. The funny thing was that Mr Publisher was dressing well and sending his secretary [ They were from the same state ] to buy food for him in a big flask almost everyday. It was a horrible period for me. I was frustrated, angry and hopeless. Anyway, God had other plans for me. About four months later, I left Nigeria and I'm flourishing where I am now. If you cannot manage a business effectively, don't start it. Many Nigerian employers dabble into business because others are doing it or it seems to be profitable. God help us all.

www.vibes-extra..com

2 Likes

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by obiem(m): 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
blank:

I once worked in an indigenous oil servicing company in the finance dept.
Things were really rough we were owing banks large sums of money but we never owed staff salary.
Rather, what we did was to borrow money from banks at ridiculous interest rates to pay staff.
The only thing was that we froze salary increases, sacked redundant staff and did not pay any bonus for that period (13 months).
However, once the govt paid the money we were owed, we paid out bigger bonuses to staff for their patience.
Even those that were sacked were paid a prorated bonus.
That is an example of a responsible employer.
I still stop by to know how they are doing and they are growing bigger n bigger.

This is how it ought to be, if u ask me

But this is fast becoming a norm in working circles these days, i used to work for one company that paid salaries once every three months( i can imagine how the guy that said he was last paid in january feels but that is suicidal), These practice by companies encourage fraud and other related vices in the system.

God help us all
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by otondo55: 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
Nigeria labour condition is killing !

3 months no pay !

Have to go on leave without pay.

Who do you tell , federal govt ?
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Jarus(m): 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2010
All these sharp practices are perpetrated by one-man businesses and some small to medium size companies. It is very rare in MNCs as well as well big Nigerian companies. I don't think a bank will even do this.

Here, 25th day of the month is for sure, and on very rare occasions, 26th-27th, except at the height of the liquidity crunch when we had it inadvertently delayed till 3rd of the next month.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by faithin9ja: 5:58pm On Sep 06, 2010
In some cases I blame both the employees and the employer. Leaving aside those stupid employers who are just plain wicked and selfish, many people work for companies where it clear the company is not making any money and they are still there. Graduates and other job seekers look for work without checking the viability of the company they intend to work for.

Companies often employ more people than they require. You go into an office and find people milling around doing nothing but expecting salary at the month end.

In the Europe and America many staff are paid weekly, not monthly, they are paid directly from cashflow, no waiting for month end.

Nigerians need to be more realistic, we need to ask ourselves how much have I contributed to this business? If I am a salesman and I bring in 5 million naira a month then I deserve a salary, but if my sales are only N25K a month , then how can expect a salary of N50k. This can be used in other jobs, if you are a teacher in a private school, you have 30 students in your class, paying N7000 a month, total turnover is N210k a month before rent, diesel and other costs then you can expect to be paid. But if your school only has 15 students paying N1500k, total turnover N22,500 a month how much can the teacher earn? But in Nigeria the school with 15 students will employ 20 teachers, one bursar, headmaster, deputy headmaster, driver, gardener, etc and they will all expect salary.

The moral of my story, check the viability of your potential or current employer.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by eroticme: 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2010
Its so sad that the labour force in Nigeria is taken advantage of by either a greedy Govt or Greedy entrepreneur all because the supply of labour is more than its demand. It is now common to pay fees before one is interviewed. Once the job is gotten, u are either not paid on time or not paid at all. Even after retirement pensions and benefits arnt paid. When does respite come for the poor nigerian who has been exploited by his govt, his employer and his fellow citizens? God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by maltinal(m): 6:17pm On Sep 06, 2010
some of the boss in the so called companies dont want some one to be like them
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by hackney(m): 6:28pm On Sep 06, 2010
I suspected that this type of rubbish will still be happening in nigerian companies.
wont be shocked if it happens in shell nigeria.
That country needs to tumble into a bottomles pit of no return.
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 06, 2010
Men this is Nigerian factor, even when the money is there, the will delay it to make some money for themselves tru bank interest. Even big companies do this, we nigerians r wicked, too selfish and self-centerd
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Reference(m): 7:28pm On Sep 06, 2010
At last someone has the guts to mention names. What is wrong with people. If your accusations are correct then don't hesitate to TELL. If this was Yahoo or BBC online and the companies were american or spanish their names and CEO's would be exposed proper. It is important not just for employees but vendors, creditors, analysts, what have you that information is accessible and these companies are exposed. Staff salaries are true indicators of how healthy these companies are. I for one will be cautious henceforth in doing business with them where CRITICAL funds are involved.

Talking of AIT and Arik grin, I'm not too surprised. The media particularly electronic cannot maximise its earning potential until we seriously tackle the issue of piracy. Terrestrial tv worldwide is unviable particularly with competition from cable (subscription tv)

As for Arik whenever the deep pockets run dry its bye-bye baby. Another foolish venture for thieving politicians. The airline business is not viable. Many have come and go and even the brightest soon fade away. Who would have thought Bellview would vanish. Kabo air, Okada, etc. The truth is that the industry is too big for a developing country with the peculiarities as Nigeria. Aircrafts - imported and maintained abroad - forex, operational expenses - crew salaries, Jet A1, landing, taxing, parking fees - take your pick, overwhelming. Who can survive this when the average Nigerian still can't afford to fly. Air travel is elitist so the customer base remains shallow. It is one of those industries that I'm afraid has to wait for the creation of a middle class that unfortunately has been destroyed by several of its owners one time or the other. Talk of shooting oneself in the foot.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 06, 2010
is this new?
i rem leaving 4 moths salary with my ex-oga b4 i left naija and my dad(R.I.P) was owed for 15months by daily times back then
maybe i am reading wrong but this aint new
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Agibecky: 8:00pm On Sep 06, 2010
Over 70% of Nigerian companies are guilty of owing their workers.
Majority o the workers are even the poor low income earners.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by horny4u(f): 9:14pm On Sep 06, 2010
I own a growing business and used to pay staff on the 3rd of every month and realised that staff turnover was very high.I looked at my mum's business too and noticed same so i did a little research and realised that neighbours and friends who pay at the middle of the month and have lower staff turnover.
I have been paying salary on the 15th and i have now retained the same staff for over 8 months and they are alot more creative,from time to time i give out incentives for meeting targets .
[s](My mum still pays every 3rd and still has high turnover.)[/s]
Its a real shame because i do feel guilty delaying salary but past studies have shown:
I hate to think people are so used to salary being withheld that anything otherwise they kick the system.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by tunde1200(m): 9:45pm On Sep 06, 2010
bisiaet:

This is unbeleiveable now I can understand Raymond Dokpesi frusration!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arik air is something i dont understand they spend alot of money on expertrate but i dont see what they are here for. and delayed salary till 19th of every month is painfull where is our government to intervain this the airline that flies to jfk lht jnb and west coast.despite all this workers are not receiving the toking in time and the chairman dont even seems to care about this. allahu ahlam
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by byHismercy: 12:45am On Sep 07, 2010
typical naija factor cant happen anywhere else. A friend got around £20,000 in back pay after it was discovered he had been underpaid for about 3 years.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by DisGuy: 1:36am On Sep 07, 2010
bisiaet:

you meant desperation!!
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by latepa(m): 2:02am On Sep 07, 2010
If your company doesn't pay on time,you should thank God atleast they're still paying smiley
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Outstrip(f): 2:32am On Sep 07, 2010
What is the law? Do you people know the law that your employer has to go by. The first step is knowing what his responsibilities are by law and then go from there
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by smasher1(m): 3:45am On Sep 07, 2010
I think most of d time, Nigerian businessmen are plainly wicked. Some make serious money and still owe for @ least 6 months. Especially in Lagos. Yet their branch in other countries like Ghana where they make next to nothing they dont owe. They go to states where the boys dey vex like Benin, Warri, Port Harcourt where people would even refuse a ghost worker job owing salaries and they hardly owe. Are they afraid of being kidnapped, killed etc? Whatever d case is they owe less than in Lagos. I had to leave Lagos due to such reasons. My last wages was paid into bank a year after working and u have to beg for d money to be paid. Just leave and expect your money to be paid into bank dey wont. Simply wickedness. I believe dey use jazz for there business to grow that includes inhumanity to their staff.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by smasher1(m): 3:52am On Sep 07, 2010
By the way the name of the company is Research and Marketing Services Limited(RMS) owned by Tejumola one of Africa's biggest research firm and as at then dey dont owe expatriates dey pay millions or top management.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Kilode1: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2010
smasher1:

By the way the name of the company is Research and Marketing Services Limited(RMS) owned by Tejumola one of Africa's biggest research firm and as at then dey dont owe expatriates dey pay millions or top management.

@Post

Follow this guy's example and Name and Shame those companies. At least that will help prospective job-seekers make up their mind when they have a choice of where to work. I know a lot of Nigerian Business men are like our politicians, they don't give a damn about public humiliation.

Let's keep "Naming and Shaming" them abeg.

Nigerians are too nice sometimes. Name the sweatshops here!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by babaogun(m): 8:34am On Sep 07, 2010
War Horse:

3. Mindset of "The Boss"
Can you believe that Bill gates is not the Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft? Bill used to be but he later stepped down from the position for someone better that he is in the job of CEO - Steve Ballmer(or something like that). Nigerian business men? Almost never. they want to be Chairman, CEO even after death. bad business oooooooooooooo. Business is driven by varied functions. you must use the right person for the right job. That leads to the fourth reason -

I do not totally agree Steve Balmer is better than Bill Gates on the job. Bill Gates had to step down from running the business mainly due to anti-competition/monopolistic strategy and agreements made thereafter.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by hayo(m): 8:58am On Sep 07, 2010
Most of these one man company don't do proper analysis before opening their businesses. They also don't have good backing and maybe a board that can aid them. I worked for one of those in 2004 and it was tough. The first month, the salary was paid. We were in a big building (nonsense as we didn't need such a luxury). The MD and top management had big cars (cars were later repossessed). The business plan was faulty because most of what we were doing will most likely not bring in so much. In fact, at a point Police started harassing us in the office. Our boss was owing a lot of people including staff salaries. He started letting people go and at a point, I voluntarily resigned without having gotten another job. Till today, the company owes me 3 1/2 months salary. Imagine walking from home to the office, not small journey o. And I was supposed to be developing web and sms applications for the organization, I suffered, chei. The decision to leave was the best thing I ever did. I did better on my own than in the time I spent there.
My advice, if you are ever going to take appointment with a small business; do your homework and maybe interview people working there. It will save u a lot of heartache. But in these days when jobs are scarce, I bet people don't have much choice.

BTW, the company died a total death a few months after I left. The CEO is back working for a bigger company now smiley
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:38am On Sep 07, 2010
I still strongly belief that the major reason reason is that companies many company fails to recognise corporate governance and by so doing they fail.is just the case study of the rich vs poor man.
One exploit the fact that i will give my children the best opportunities for them to be great in life while the poor man belief in what yoruba people called olorun lo ba ni to ju omo.
The truth is that many companies fails to manage well and in ability to pay their workforce well isone of greatest failure of many corporation in nigeria
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by nuga10: 10:14am On Sep 07, 2010
wow,when l was just thinking l ve been paid last in May,yours is something else.l wonder wat this country is turning into
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by femicool: 10:53am On Sep 07, 2010
Arik Air is top on the list, the CEO is never bothered and even believes he is doing the naija populace working there a favour by employing them in the first place while he worships the fake oyinbos and treats them like gods, what a disgrace to the black race, lipsrsealed
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by tweenytee(f): 12:22pm On Sep 07, 2010
Is it not better to be without a job than to have a job and not get paid?
Cos it only means you are using your last change to get to work and eat and yet you not getting paid.
I would rather use what i have in investment or use it to look for a paying job

Trust me! its better to leave your house every morning and return home at night. Yeah its annoyin nt to get paid in tym angry. am a victim as well. THEY LL EVENTUALLY PAY, smiley
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by SanFranc(m): 12:41pm On Sep 07, 2010
This topic is sooo interesting!
But unfortunately there is hardly anything we can do about it cos no law regulates such activities and every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to be called a CEO/Managing Director or even Chairman. But it does not end with one man businesses, some 'big' organizations are invloved in this devilish act of delaying salaries as well. For instance, Glo. On appointment, you are not told about the 50/50 rule, but once you start work, you will be paid 50% of your salary when due, but the remaining 50% is tied to your target performance, so if your salary is 200k, you get 100k automatically, then whatever percentage achieved in your monthly target is paid you as the balance! And this gets paid so deep into the next month. Whats that??
God help you if you score below 50% of your ever increasing target, na hunger and debt go kill you.

Abeg help me pray that my August salary is paid by Wednesday oooooo
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ekea2001: 12:48pm On Sep 07, 2010
crazy crap.often intentional.sorry plight for some workers. As if they'll have do shift jobs elsewhere.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which One Is Better? Social Work Or Political Science? / My Company Owe Me Money!!! How Can I Get It Back / My Ordeal With A Former Subordinate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.