Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? (8912 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by bobofemo: 1:28pm On May 15, 2010
too bad down here. some firm will just intentionally hold on to their workers salary without been paid as and when due.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by yomifowe(m): 11:15pm On May 19, 2010
Well, u re not alone in this situation. i collected my last salary in january, and i work in lekki. comapanies now use and dum p employees. its very sad indeed.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Skidoc(m): 5:45pm On May 24, 2010
Can you please name and shame the culprits?
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by DisGuy: 1:06am On May 28, 2010
Well some business men instead of investing the start-up loan for running the business tehy celebrate the mean feat of getting loan from a Nigerian bank- no be moin moin o to get loan so they celebrate with new car new house etc etc until the end of the first month cheesy

Some business men have the feeling their idea will start making money immediately they move into the new V.I office wink

A.I.T
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by blacksta(m): 7:06pm On May 29, 2010
yomifowe:

Well, u re not alone in this situation. i collected my last salary in january, and i work in lekki. comapanies now use and dum p employees. its very sad indeed.

ol boy - God dey - how are you surviving?
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by kabarka(m): 9:21pm On May 29, 2010
Those companies are suffering from a disease known as LOW CASHFLOW.They are not good enough.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by victor28: 7:41am On May 30, 2010
most time companies think workers wil always understand by givin them flimsy excuses. At the end is the worker that sufer because of thier mistakes.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by kabarka(m): 11:53am On May 30, 2010
That is bad policy on the part of the company,victor.

Most of such companies dont outlive the founders.Wrong companies founded by opportunists.

They take advantage of law of demand and supply of nigeria labour market.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Stan24: 1:22am On May 31, 2010
yes
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by oloritinu: 3:00pm On Jun 06, 2010
well my people i will still pardon some company taking so long to pay their workers because they might not be making enough sales,

can you believe this a state in FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA take soooooooooooo loooooooooooong to pay its worker. OYO STATE is the state, the Governor ,AKALA ,paid january money in march february money in may.

the man did not pay last december salary till february 2010. and for london here we see the man they do party and spent lots of money for is daughter's graduation in machester.

shallom!!!
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by bigfather(m): 10:10am On Jun 07, 2010
oloritinu:

well my people i will still pardon some company taking so long to pay their workers because they might not be making enough sales,

can you believe this a state in FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA take soooooooooooo loooooooooooong to pay its worker. OYO STATE is the state, the Governor ,AKALA ,paid january money in march february money in may.

the man did not pay last december salary till february 2010. and for london here we see the man they do party and spent lots of money for is daughter's graduation in machester.

shallom!!!

cry This people nor get conscience at all !
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by DisGuy: 11:45am On Jun 07, 2010
or maybe beause nigerian workers are very patient, when ga buy big ride and marry new wife do wedding for him pikin sef, him go invite una, una go still go chop awooof grin
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 11, 2010
plz i need the house to clarify this issue

* When an Entrepreneur starts a business, how long is he / she suppose to pay staff salary from his / her personal purse?

* After one month of operation, Entrepreneur didn't employ marketers, he turned all the staff to marketers, gave targets and still owing salary

* Entrepreneur still slashed salary into two and yet he still pays late and incomplete

* Entrepreneur brought in relation into the business as supervisor, Supervisor is too bossy and doesn't know office ethics, he doesn't meet target, holds meeting with his subordinates and gets the praise alone from boss

* Entrepreneur asked a staff to go because she opened her mind and told him if he is not going to pay salaries that he should pay transport allowances to staff, she worked for half month and believe me its 3months now and Entrepreneur has not paid her the salary she worked for, she is working somewhere else now, yet Entrepreneur keep telling other staffs that she is begging to come back

some people open up a business without planning and expect profit immediately, its impossible, if ur staffs are not happy with u definately ur business cant move forward.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Fhemmmy: 1:12am On Jul 06, 2010
Is it not better to be without a job than to have a job and not get paid?
Cos it only means you are using your last change to get to work and eat and yet you not getting paid.
I would rather use what i have in investment or use it to look for a paying jo
b

3 Likes

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2010
The fact is that most companies in nigeria victoria island in lagos as an example are operating what i called modern slavery.
These days 99% is using meltdown as their reasons for not having a good welfare package for their staff.
The thing is that many even lie with the word of God such as patience and God time is the best whereas the issue is that God has given us everything we need to suceed but because of our sin we refuse to accept the creator counsel.
The bottom line is that most organizations management refuse to do the right thing on the basis of many factors:
The government policies on labour is practically not working.
They look at their work force as a tool to use and dump.
The labour market is saturated i.e supply of labour is high than demand for labour therefore price of labour fall
above all most of this companies does not have value for their workforce and majority of them is saying there is no money and that situation is bad.
Only few multinational corporation meet some level of accepted international std e.g shel,agip,Total elf,Addax ,Nestle Cadbury etc
MFM is doing something great now their G.O gave cars to staff either you are cleaner or not and you have spent a minimum of 10yrs or less and those who prefer cash would be given cash .to me this is a good organization with vision and love for their workforce and my advice is that others too should emulates this kind of vlue for work force .
The main reason is many organization have bad policies on welfare packages for their workforce and the moment this is in place even when their is plenty they will continue to say no money
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2010
1. Many companies does not have value for their workforce
2.When The Mgt does not have good mgt skills to drive the company in such a way that will affect the life of the workforce
3.Many companies are now capitalising on Credit Crunch
4.Some companies cannot break even i.e They operate at loss
5.When the company just look at their workforce as tool nothing else.
6.When companies put in place bad policies on welfare
7.When the management are dwarfs
8.They take advantage of Labour Market saturation i.e supply of Labour is more than demand for Labour therefore prices of labour fall and the same time they can easily get replacement even though labour turnover is high
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2010
Above all companies that does not have std out at all are many in this part of the world ,therefore the fail to perform their obligation to their workforce
Another reason is corporate failure & ineffective government institution on Labour Law which suppose to enforce and mandate employers of labour to carry out their responsibility to their workforce is a major factor
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by Nymphnode(m): 12:31am On Jul 21, 2010
I had worked for a company who pay on time until the meltdown, and they had it real bad during that period. They have to source for diesel money from staffs, that's how bad it was then. Now they are getting back on their feet but still owing outstandings so what they do to keep the staff is they make sure that a month salary is pending so as to tie you down to the job. You know its hard to get skilled and dedicated staffs dis days.

But if you still decide to leave then it will be paid into your account at same day others are being paid
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:12am On Jul 21, 2010
To the best of my knowledge the main reason is simply because most business practioners in nigeria does believe that it is a good thing not to pay their workforce in time ,They dont believe it is a sin.they consider their employees as tools notHING else because if not if you are employeR having respect for the contract of employment you will not cheat or denied your workforce their right because that is the only consideration in monetary terms that make the contract valid.
If you cannot meet up this obligation why dont you advice the employee to resign peacefully and it is not by force you should retain a workforce and not giving them their dues.
2.We know that there is Cashflow challenges but not as the rate that virtuely every employer in nigeria even the so called government offices are they faithfull ?They also do not pay their workforce on time ,i think the private sector got this evil from them and when the govt make excuses who are suppose to be a pascetters are also a culprit ,therefore the private sectors hid under this deceptive pretence.
The only solution to this is that Government agencies responsible for enforcement of labour should wake up and the employees should be enghliten to know how communicate about this to relavant Govt agencies incharge of Labour Law enforcement so that the employer will do the right thing because their own is profit maximazation and accummulating wealth to their unborn generations that cannot be born and sending their families to best everything in the world and the employees that contributes for the success of the business will have not than to go back and die with chronic poverty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by ayo84(m): 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
a company not paying its workers, shows that most nigerian companies are not ptoperly financially solvent to handle salaries, their cash flow is poor,they dont anticipate enough financial reserves to pay workers in advance,and due to the most nature of nigerian companies ,most nigerian companies are contractors: general contractors.They get one contract,and they recruit a lot of workers,when they money finishes, they are back to square one,and they tell their staff to bear with them.

And typical of nigerians, who are patient they wud go through anything just to keep that job, that low paying ,priced job.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2010
Major and key reasons why it take companies so long to pay their workers are as follows:
Expansion-i.e some companies in order for them to sustain other subsidiaries they denied the holding company benefits in terms of staff emoluments.

2 Mismanagement of funds:that is cashflow Crisis

3 Bad decisions Makings e.g some companies may go ahead to pay dividend to shareholders just to imprest them, why operations funds such as salary payments are not there to pay their staff.

4.poor corporate Governance in place:i.e just lack corporate ethics on staff motivation and what have you.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:11am On Jul 27, 2010
Many companies in nigeria suffer from the systoms arising from threat of going concern,therefore they fail to deliver and achieve their corporate planning and operational objectives ,which one is to meet day to day operations & Administrative cost and which regular payment of salaries & wages of staff is one.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:20am On Jul 27, 2010
Those who manage organizations lack money management ideas and skills to manage and by so doing they put the organization in a serious financial crisis.They dont plan for their staff emolument which is key to any compay.
One key factor is that it is important to plan for everything failure to plan is planning to fail.even some organizations they do have good fund flow but still bitting thier fingers at month to pay their staff
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by blank(f): 6:40pm On Aug 07, 2010
I once worked in an indigenous oil servicing company in the finance dept.
Things were really rough we were owing banks large sums of money but we never owed staff salary.
Rather, what we did was to borrow money from banks at ridiculous interest rates to pay staff.
The only thing was that we froze salary increases, sacked redundant staff and did not pay any bonus for that period (13 months).
However, once the govt paid the money we were owed, we paid out bigger bonuses to staff for their patience.
Even those that were sacked were paid a prorated bonus.
That is an example of a responsible employer.
I still stop by to know how they are doing and they are growing bigger n bigger.

1 Like

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by dailydolla4u(m): 10:40am On Aug 08, 2010
Gud day guys. I once wok in a company that delay the salary 15th of new month 4 no reason @all. I thing something need 2 be done
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by cream2(m): 5:45pm On Aug 20, 2010
whine whine whine

Nigerian employees, what revenue or extra value add are YOU bringing to the company? instead complaining about MY emoluments, leaches
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by AjanleKoko: 5:27am On Aug 21, 2010
cream2:

whine whine whine

Nigerian employees, what revenue or extra value add are YOU bringing to the company? instead complaining about MY emoluments, leaches

So they should slave on? That's daft. Why hire people if you're not going to pay them?

@Topic,
Don't hang about in a company that doesn't pay.
Save your funds and use them to find another job.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by domorehill: 12:09pm On Aug 22, 2010
the economy is bad.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 1:00pm On Aug 27, 2010
One of the major reason is that employers of labour take undue advantage of the labour law that is not be proper implemented by Government .Otherwise when at the particular period as agreed with employees due and no payment and if the employees seek redress from the law court and it properly handled by the judiciary arm of the government then many employers will know it is unlawful to refuse and not to pay their workforce as when due and again they will know that they are commiting sin to humanity and severely punishable by God almighty.it is just that God judment is beyond human comprehension.
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by WarHorse1(m): 3:35pm On Aug 27, 2010
The following are my reasons:

1. Lack of Knowledge of Business Management
Nigerian private business peoples assume they know what it take to run a business. The becomae the CEO, accountant and cash manager at the same time. There are no checks on the running of the business. The are poor on sensitivity analysis and so cannot understand the direction of the business. The business plan stops when they acquired loans from the bank. That my definition of gross mismanagement

2. Lack of Creativiity
Almost everybody claims to be creative. A big lie. Nigerian companies feel creativity stops at coming up with a business idea and starting it up. Sorry! All along in the implimentation, growth, stability, maturity and even death stages of a business, creativity is needed. We are poor creators of business strategy all along the way of business operations. This has a big and negative implication on cash flow and payment of salaries.

3. Mindset of "The Boss"
Can you believe that Bill gates is not the Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft? Bill used to be but he later stepped down from the position for someone better that he is in the job of CEO - Steve Ballmer(or something like that). Nigerian business men? Almost never. they want to be Chairman, CEO even after death. bad business oooooooooooooo. Business is driven by varied functions. you must use the right person for the right job. That leads to the fourth reason -

4. Leadership
I laugh a lot when I see and hear the many programs of leadership that go on in Nigeria and the many person that go with the notion that leaders are made or can be made. my dear all, as controversial as this issues, I wish to state and re-state that a true leaders thatcan lead human organizations with a strong sense of the combination of goal, human nature and fame can never be made. He/she must have to be born with the bio-inherent tendencies to lead these functions. it has to be someone who prizes fame much more than money. American leadership is based on fame and not money. look at the rich entrepreneurs of America, Japan, and Europe - even when the money comes, they give it away.
We need persons who will practice shephard leadership-source for human resources, find and exploit their potential while leading them to greener pastures as and at when due. unfortunately, Nigeria has few if at all any of such. Even if they exist, there are "trample upon". Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. never say the beautiful onse are not yet born; they have been born but were trampled opon and are still been trampled opon. The propaganda itself that a business leader can be nurtured tramples of the truism that business leaders, as long as they will lead people and their initiatives, are actually natured - Born in other words.

5. In Our Character
Nigeria is a class society. Most previlleged people want to remain the previlleged and do not want others to become previlleged. Most private company owners feel bad paying money to workers even when the workers has worked for it. They feel they are enriching others rather than themselves. They pride themselves with the balance money in their account or business account and any reduction in that money hurts them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:39am On Aug 30, 2010
ONE MAJOR REASON IS THAT MANY COMPANIES JUST TAKE UNDUE ADVANTAGE OF THE LABOURLAW WHICH IS PRACTICAL DEAD AS PER IMPLEMENTATION.
2. UNDUE ADVANTAGE OF LABOUR MKT SATURATION I.E SUPPLY OF LABOUR IS MORE THAN DEMAND FOR LABOUR
GOODDAY

TAIWO
Re: Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? by vassilli(m): 1:59pm On Sep 06, 2010
A.I.T , Arik Air Major Culprits

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do / How To Avoid Wardrobe Malfunctions During Online Interviews / Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.