Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? (7179 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. / Job Satisfaction Or The Pay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Afroprince(m): 4:16pm On May 15, 2010
Hi good people, i need constructive suggestions pls, i am married with a son, wifey is a student in 3rd yr. I worked as a tv presenter and later moved on to radio as a presenter/producer/DJ, i did this for 4years of my life and loved every minute of it. Later moved to banking where i stayed for 3yrs but now i am an asst mgr in an IT firm, i take care care of their branding issues. My problem now is that cos of skool i stay far from my young family, i am in Lagos and the are in Enugu, secondly i hate Lagos cos i awake 4:30am everyday and leave my house 5:30am to avoid traffic. I earn close to 250k a month with other incentives but yet i am not satisfied with the job, Lagos, the traffic (the fact that i have to struggle driving to & fro work against heavy traffic) and most especially not being close to my family. I just got an appointment to move back to radio in the east, 1hr drive away from my family for a salary of 90k a month, a flat, health insurance and 6months salary review. What should i do? i love media, its my life but taking a paycut of 150k for job satisfaction is scary? i need your honest contributions, u could be saving a life, waiting for your answers, one love!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by AjanleKoko: 8:25am On May 16, 2010
Hmm, tough one, my friend. My two cents:

In Nigeria, forget about job satisfaction. Money is much more important for your overall well-being. That's the truth of it.
My personal belief is to chase money first, move into some sort of position of relative comfort, and then follow your dreams later. That works as long as you don't get sucked into some sort of pseudo-lifestyle that is driven by that money. You can't work for money for the sake of working for money alone; you've got to have goals and targets that the money can help you to achieve, and that can take you some steps closer to your personal dreams.
But sometimes, one has got to be brave and follow one's heart, rather than being trapped in a difficult situation for a few coins.

That said, maybe you should also consider the following:

1. Have you sat down to quantify the impact of the salary cut on your lifestyle, expenses, projects, etc?

2. What's the probable life of your current job? I.e. in all probability, how long do you think you can last there before you would need to find another job? Everybody has to measure this for their work situation, regardless of where you are.

3. Have you evaluated the typical expenses associated with that move to Enugu? Possibly you might drop some expenses by leaving Lagos, but some new ones can show up.

Hope this helps.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Afroprince(m): 8:39am On May 16, 2010
thanks for your response, what it will mean is that i may not have savings anymore but i think i can work around the 90k with family but may need to cut down on some miscelleanous spending. my heart truly seek media but its just the money aspect and i have also put some plans ahead but still fear for the unknown! Most times money come in via adverts, sponsorships, voice-overs etc but all these aint guaranteed but if i work hard and do what i know how to do best with my voice on radio, i may be a hit there cos i believe in my talent on radio.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by AjanleKoko: 9:01am On May 16, 2010
Good one. You seem to have figured it out yourself.

If you are able to answer those three questions I asked (to yourself o, not to me!), and you believe in what you want to do, go for it!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by mamus2010(f): 5:32pm On May 18, 2010
i think you have over 7 years work experience, that should be enough to determine your focus, either money or a career. but having said that, i have discovered that if you like what you do, get paid well to do it, but dont do it in the proper environment, you will equally be frustrated. my point is you should consider who you will be working with at the radio station. do your research and make a choice.

i personally believe in the early years of work, money is more important, but with 7 years like you have, doing what you like in a conducive environment is key, otherwise you will be more frustrated than when you were waking up at 4:30 and driving in lagos traffic.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Katsumoto: 11:26pm On May 18, 2010
Forget about money for a second and think about your short term and long term goals.
1. If you have no intention of moving your family to Lagos, then it would make sense to take the job in Enugu.
2. The fact that you live away from your family probably means that you spend part of the extra income (250k - 90k) on maintaining two homes, travel costs, telephone costs, etc
3. If you don't have a problem with your family leaving in Lagos, then it might make sense to move them to Lagos and save more.

Having said all that, I am sorry but I don't believe Maslow's theory of needs really applies in Nigeria for obvious reasons. You are a man and you have to do whats necessary to provide for your family. Maybe I am saying this because I am old-fashioned.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Seun(m): 1:01am On May 20, 2010
I think living away from your family is a big issue too; the remuneration just makes it a bit worse.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by winutech(m): 1:32am On May 20, 2010
My advice is simple. Go home, manage the lesser salary with its inherent benefits, enjoy your job as an entertainer, enjoy your wife every night, care for your child, and go to Church to serve God regularly.

Don't be deceived, the essence of making money is to enjoy it. Go and enjoy your money. It is NECESSARY!!!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by chicanita: 2:03am On May 20, 2010
I second winutech's advice.  wink
Abeg nothing can be compared 2 job satisfaction and life with your family. Move back 2 Enugu, enjoy your radio gig, who knows wot might come out 4rm that, and have d time of  your life with your family  smiley.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by oyinda3(f): 2:21am On May 20, 2010
winutech:

My advice is simple. Go home, manage the lesser salary with its inherent benefits, enjoy your job as an entertainer, enjoy your wife every night, care for your child, and go to Church to serve God regularly.

Don't be deceived, the essence of making money is to enjoy it. Go and enjoy your money. It is NECESSARY!!!

BEST ADVICE. TAKE JOB SATISFACTION!!!
If you are at a job you love, you will do a good job and move higher on the ladder more quickly and easily than if you hate your job.
moving up the ladder = higher salary, higher position

so job satisfaction is better for the long run. just cut down your expenses a bit and stay happy with your family.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Hotstepper(f): 2:44am On May 20, 2010
hmmm, tough one but if I am in your shoes, I will go home to my family and enjoy what I love doing as well. Plus I guess your marriage is still young as well. Your child needs a father figure and your wife needs your over all support. May God grant you the wisdom to chose right, AMEN!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by blank(f): 3:22am On May 20, 2010
Afroprince:

Hi good people, i need constructive suggestions pls, i am married with a son, wifey is a student in 3rd yr. I worked as a tv presenter and later moved on to radio as a presenter/producer/DJ, i did this for 4years of my life and loved every minute of it. Later moved to banking where i stayed for 3yrs but now i am an asst mgr in an IT firm, i take care care of their branding issues. My problem now is that cos of skool i stay far from my young family, i am in Lagos and the are in Enugu, secondly i hate Lagos cos i awake 4:30am everyday and leave my house 5:30am to avoid traffic. I earn close to 250k a month with other incentives but yet i am not satisfied with the job, Lagos, the traffic (the fact that i have to struggle driving to & fro work against heavy traffic) and most especially not being close to my family. I just got an appointment to move back to radio in the east, 1hr drive away from my family for a salary of 90k a month, a flat, health insurance and 6months salary review. What should i do? i love media, its my life but taking a paycut of 150k for job satisfaction is scary? i need your honest contributions, u could be saving a life, waiting for your answers, one love!

It might seem like a big paycut but consider the other factors.
The cost of living in the east is way lower than in in Lagos.
N800,000 p.a will get u a massive house in GRA, Enugu but they are already giving u a flat.
U can live in Enugu and work in Awka (just 45mins drive).
Foodstuffs are cheaper, you're closer to your family, etc.
Also, with 7 yrs experience, u can still get a job in another bank should u decide to do so.

You know what to do just pray and commit everything into God's hands.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by CHANCEMAN: 4:11am On May 20, 2010
The drop in salary is heavy,that is about 60% can you swallow that?
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by NATURESON: 4:14am On May 20, 2010
Mother Nature has this to tell you,

Life is not just about money, For if life is all about money, you wont probably need a family to worry about, you will only need money, There are some things in life that are of necessity and money cannot buy, The time you spend with your family is valuable especially in bringing up your offsprings, You might be able to supply all their financial needs, but you might be doing so at the detriment of their moral and social needs,

The only time you can give them that attention is now, when they grow up, they may not necessarily need it, so you will end up not enjoying constant family togetherness with your wife and children,

Finally considering the fact that this is a young family, all hands needs to be on deck to make it strong and viable, If you have made yourself a head of the family, then you need to be Naturally available to lead accordingly,

-- NATURESON --
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by NATURESON: 4:29am On May 20, 2010
If there is something that Mother Nature has made me understand, it is looking far into the future,

Yes, you can make all the money now, but considering all the stress involved, the peace of mind lost, the possibility of having wayward children as a result of not being there for them at critical times in their lives, Do you think that all the money you will make all combined will be able to take of these issues perfectly in the future?,

Imagine all the stress that will compound over a long period of time, will all the money you have,  be able to take of severe health consequences, and even if it can, will that be a good way to blow up such hard earned money?,

Life is not about money, Life is about the Nature of your life !

Choose one today, Drop in finances or drop in family,

-- NATURESON --
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by MBG4Real(m): 5:04am On May 20, 2010
@Afroprince, You didn't tell us what your wife thinks about all these. You know, now that you are married , in all your decisions you have to consider her. Does she mind the pay cut. If she wants you to come back, is she ready to live with the implication. I know women tend to look down on their men when they can nolonger foot all the bills.

Have you considered moving your family to Lagos after she graduates.
Have you considered looking for accommodation near your place of work.
Have you considered the prospect of getting a better job from where you are now.

If none these questions yielded any positive answer and you wife wants you back, then you have to move back to Enugu
However, if your wife wants you to make the money, keep your old job, you don't know what you will meet in the new Job.
I
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Ndipe(m): 5:38am On May 20, 2010
I get your point, but afroprince, you are unhappy living in Lagos and dealing with the busy grind that comes with living in a bustling city like traffic. You miss your family and you are stuck in a career that offers no satisfaction. Listen, there is more to life than money, 250k pales in comparison to your happiness, the love of your family and having insurance. When you show passion at your job, I'd like to think that it will eclipse the 250k you were earning in Lagos. Besides, there is always room for growth.

Dont overlook short term sacrifice, it may lead to long term growth in your career and personal life. Best wishes.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by larimo(m): 7:00am On May 20, 2010
blank:

It might seem like a big paycut but consider the other factors.
The cost of living in the east is way lower than in in Lagos.
N800,000 p.a will get u a massive house in GRA, Enugu but they are already giving u a flat.
U can live in Enugu and work in Awka (just 45mins drive).
Foodstuffs are cheaper, you're closer to your family, etc.
Also, with 7 yrs experience, u can still get a job in another bank should u decide to do so.

You know what to do just pray and commit everything into God's hands.

winutech:

good advice from above posters. above all, PRAY PATIENTLY! God is merciful and will answer appropriately. Best of favour.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by sayso: 7:08am On May 20, 2010
The best advice is ,Man that puts satisfaction to his family is better than Man that puts satisfaction to himself.read between the lines,that is where the world is going to.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by bigben3: 7:30am On May 20, 2010
there is definitely more to life than making money.You see before you have family,you think only about yourself,once there is family,your focus automatically change.I can tell you 15-20 years down the line,your family will not remember the amount of big money you made,but the quality time you spent with them.Moreover you talk about loving it more in the studio,that's precisely the major ingredient of success,i.e make your hobby your job,you will just be rising and surmounting obstacles as they will always come anyway.My advise,take the pay cut and adjust your life style, with 90k you can surely have a swell time in your new place with all the other goodies and above all, living miles away from your loved ones could be quite dangerous,talk about temptation from all side,hope you understand what i am saying.Cheers
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 7:42am On May 20, 2010
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Amjustme: 8:03am On May 20, 2010
@Poster; I must honesly tell you that on nairaland esp. on ur post, i have seen matured responses, all of your choices cannot be outside all of the options given to you on this thread. Honestly, am grateful on his behalf for the honesty and maturity in responding. Keep it up guys, i was almost giving up on the responses we get from NL
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by imconfused(f): 8:03am On May 20, 2010
@ poster

I totally agree with chaircover

Has your wife told you that she is willing to endure the lowering of living standard this change of jobs will bring?
People work the hardest when they are young.Your family is still a very young one and will probably expand.How will you feed them with 90k.
 I lived in Enugu almost all my life and i swore i would do my best to get out, i am fighting tooth and nail for my man to leave that place.I am shocked that a young agile man who has a lot going for him would want to move down there.
  Enugu and environs is mainly for people who are looking to live a slow paced life,people who have made it and are simply looking to relax.There are no industries,no factories,almost zero incentives for a young ambitious hustler and you will most likely be pulled into the mediocrity and suffer a loss of your ambition.Do you have an alternative business to supplement the 90k?
 Most young people there are struggling to go to better places to search for greener pastures,the ones left are either living off rich daddy's pocket,politicians or people who simply have no other options.
 Let's say you spend 10k weekly on feeding= 40k per month
Fuel about 4 or 5k a week = 20k a month
Clothing = 10k or more
Miscellanous expenses = 10-15k
Light bills = 5-6k
  Please what will you have left? How will you pay the school fees?
My dear, it is best to suffer small now while you have the energy than to spend your days huddled over a piece of paper calculating how to stretch the 90k.
 Money is not everything but i bet providing a good life for your family comes first.
You are in nija,im sorry to say that being satisfied with your job doesn't count.

You should consider transfering your wife's schooling to Lagos.I understand your marriage is fairly new and for that i feel your pain.If they can up your salary to something more decent, fine.If not,forget sentiments, stay in Lag and start looking for ways to move your family over.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by aieromon(m): 8:24am On May 20, 2010
I think you should continue with your present job and make savings out of the salary.Consider it a short term investment on your goals in life.
Majority of Lagosians work as hard as you do regardless of job satisfaction.
Going to Enugu will make you lazy except you can make use of the non-working hours to pursue a productive business.
My advise - Keep the job but have a timeline 'cos you wont be young for ever.Save up and move back to Enugu where you can consider setting up your own business.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by AroOkigbo(m): 8:30am On May 20, 2010
Man, you are not alone.
I have a similar problem. My wife, son and daughter are all in Nigeria (UNN, because of her studies). For close on two years now, my company keeps me (training course) three months in SA and two weeks (off rotation) in Nigeria. They've only visited me twice.
I learnt to accept it because of the "solid pay" and the fact that it won't be forever. Soon she will complete her studies and I'm done by August and we shall all be living in Lagos, happy together, forever.
From 250k in Lagos to 90k in Enugu (of all places),
because of family,
a colossal drop,
not for me!!
NEVER!!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by funkybaby(f): 8:41am On May 20, 2010
imconfused:

@ poster

I totally agree with chaircover

Has your wife told you that she is willing to endure the lowering of living standard this change of jobs will bring?
People work the hardest when they are young.Your family is still a very young one and will probably expand.How will you feed them with 90k.
  I lived in Enugu almost all my life and i swore i would do my best to get out, i am fighting tooth and nail for my man to leave that place.I am shocked that a young agile man who has a lot going for him would want to move down there.
   Enugu and environs is mainly for people who are looking to live a slow paced life,people who have made it and are simply looking to relax.There are no industries,no factories,almost zero incentives for a young ambitious hustler and you will most likely be pulled into the mediocrity and suffer a loss of your ambition.Do you have an alternative business to supplement the 90k?
  Most young people there are struggling to go to better places to search for greener pastures,the ones left are either living off rich daddy's pocket,politicians or people who simply have no other options.
  Let's say you spend 10k weekly on feeding= 40k per month
Fuel about 4 or 5k a week = 20k a month
Clothing = 10k or more
Miscellanous expenses = 10-15k
Light bills = 5-6k
   Please what will you have left? How will you pay the school fees?
My dear, it is best to suffer small now while you have the energy than to spend your days huddled over a piece of paper calculating how to stretch the 90k.
  Money is not everything but i bet providing a good life for your family comes first.
You are in nija,im sorry to say that being satisfied with your job doesn't count.

You should consider transfering your wife's schooling to Lagos.I understand your marriage is fairly new and for that i feel your pain.If they can up your salary to something more decent, fin[b]e.If not,forget sentiments, stay in Lag and start looking for ways to move your family over.[/b]

most realistic answer  on this thread.

whats the gurantee that you will be happy with the radio job?

and as my partner will say ''there is no perfect workplace''. even people working for oil companies have one or two complaints about their job.

people pray for promotion. but it seems you want to demote yourself or how else can you explain a salary cut of 160k ?

its best you stay in lagos and look for another job that will pay you 500k sef or higher. that way you can rent an apartment on the island and you wont have to wake up 4am every monring
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by 2busy: 8:55am On May 20, 2010
The reason why most of us ask questions like this or seek advice is because of "the fear of the unknown"

But in my own opinion, God Almighty sees and knows what we know not. Pray for God's guidance and you wont regret whatever option you choose.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by GboyegaD(m): 9:00am On May 20, 2010
In my own opinion, I will suggest you stay back in Lagos and try as much as you can to relocate your family down to Lagos. As for your passion as a radio entertainer, there r quite a number of radio stations here in Lagos dat can employ U once dey know U have what they want. As such, I will advise U consider forwarding ur application to them and I am sure U wil be considered. Don't be surprised dey pay very well too.

It is not easy coping with a pay cut particularly a sharp cut as N160k per month. As a banker, I have my salary slashed by about N70k per month and I can tell U I am feeling it though my salary is still much.

Wish U d very best in all.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:17am On May 20, 2010
Dear poster you are in a tough situation.I see it like this if you move back to be close with your family you also get job satisfaction and in short you are happier right? but this is the catch the new job pays less than the present one you have which has some hassles.its job satisfaction over pay.I think one of the qxns you should ask is is there going to be growth for you if you go for the next job?if there are opportunities for growth and development in this new job pls take it money isnt everything and you deserve to be happy only you wearing the shoe knw where it pinches the most.I was in a present situation myself recently where i was working in a bank but decided to leave everyone thought i was crazy but i had to be selfish in this case i wanted the best for myself and i was tired of enduring life and today i am much happier.but then again you have a family so cant afford to be selfish i am single and can afford to be selfish.and again if this new job is your dream job i.e what you enjoy most go for it NOW also people also tend to excel if they enjoy what they are doing i knw this is no news to you butplease take it into consideration.My reasons are obviously you are still a young man  since your wife is in her third year in school,after this period in your life,you are going to be majorly taking care of bills bills bills probably with more kids and cant afford to do this kind of job change the earlier there is an adjustment the better for the family.The world turns aside to let any man pass who knows where he is going and you my friend sound like someone who knws where he is going.Finally pls talk it over with your wife she may be a student but deserves to understand what is going on and and communicate with her.wish you the best
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:19am On May 20, 2010
@poster 48% of the post here says you should accept the pay cut and go leave with ur family in Enugu WHILE 52% says you shld remain in lagos and find a possible way to bring ur family close. U want my opinion on this? It's simple, FOLLOW DUE PROCESS, TAKE THE ADVICE WITH THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:33am On May 20, 2010
sometimes the most popular voice is wrong
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:50am On May 20, 2010
@poster come to think of it, 90k is so little compared to 250k. Those saying you should accept the pay cut won't ever think of such if they're in ur shoes. You've been liveing ur life with 250k it'll be very defficult to adjust ur life to 90k per month. ur wify is in her third yr in unn as u stated, it's just 1yr left for her to finish studies and come join u in lagos. IF YOU DROP THE JOB IN LAGOS FOR ENUGU, I THINK IT WILL BE THE GREATEST MISTAKE OF THY LIFE. @AFROPRINCE, DON'T BE DECIEVE BY DEVILISH WRITE UPS. In a nutshell remain in lagos and wait for just 1yr, for ur woman to finish her studies and come join u and i'm very certain that with my advice u and thy family will surely live happily thereafter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

13 Months Salary - I Need Your Advise / Managing Job Stress: Strategies For Coping And Thriving At Work / Police To Promote Junior Officers With Higher Qualifications – IG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.