Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? (995 Views)

Go Back To School At Age 40 / Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? / The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by emperorlaqrin: 3:30am On Apr 21, 2018
Good morning great minds ,
Please I need a candid advice on my issue cos it's really causing me sleepless nights , I will try to be very brief but I will really appreciate your advise and opinion on what to do.

I was a commercial student in my secondary school and I must say and admit that my education as been very slow due to finances, fate and luck .

I finished my secondary school in the year 2006 and but had to reseat for it in year 2007 which I eventually made all my papers with the Gce I did in the year 2006 so am actually combining two results Gce of 2006 and 2007. during this year's when I was in school I did not do literature but I opted for geography and to be sincere back then what I knew it's I was saying it's I wanted to become an accountant but to be sincere I was just following the friends cos I don't think I knew what I wanted to do .

I wrote jamb that same year which I passed and did my post jamb also which I also passed but the university I chose did not admit me that year I applied for an A level prog which I did till 2009 but unfortunately I only had a pass mark. I wrote jamb again and failed though I did not bother to check the result but I knew I performed woefully.

Eventually I did a part time program for 3 years at a polytechnic from 2010 to 2013 , so since then I tried to apply for HND full time in year 2014 and 2015 but I was not admitted as well and in year 2016 I decided to apply for a part time program at oou and my name did not come out but eventually when my name came out when the programme as started I did not have money to pay for school fees. so I had to abandone it.

so last year 2017 I went to apply for Noun for a biz course so I can work and study at the same time but unfortunately after taking the form and other stuffs I could not meet up with the final clearance cos I was asked to get the original of some documents.

so that's as been how the years just went in my academic area but during all this periods I was working at a school and to be sincere I receive a lot of advices I should go into the profession but I don't love the work cos am not happy with it but it seems am good at it also I worked in a company as an assistant account officer but since last year I have been working in a law firm as a litigation assistant and it seems I just discovered what I want.

I have to make a decision and decide a lot of things and that's the reason am seeking advice and opinions from pple around Me cos I want to decide if I should proceed with the Noun prog. or write a GCE cos I did not have literature at all and it means I would have to seat for it cos of literature and apply for a law prog.

*IS IT POSSIBLE I CAN STILL STUDY LAW AT MY AGE ? ALthough I know is possible but doing the calculation it's a long journey with my age

*CAN I GET A PART TIME PROG TO STUDY LAW? I am not really sure about this but am really looking at my options carefully cos I would want to retain my job and school cos of the expenses to pay school bills and other bills

* DOES LAW SCHOOL ACCEPT THOSE WHO FINISH PART TIME LAW? I dont know if I eventually get a part time for law would law school accept me ?

*IS IT ADVISABLE I GO FOR FULL TIME WITH MY AGE AND ALSO WITH THE EXPENSES ATTACHED TO IT KNOWING THE FACT THAT I DONT HAVE A SPONSOR

PLEASE I WILL KINDLY APPRECIATE YOUR OPINIONS AND ADVICE COS I TRUELY NEED IT AND AM NOT MARRIED NOR HAVE A KID YET.
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 3:47am On Apr 21, 2018
You have tried your best, I can't and won't judge you. The peak is in you, if you can concieve it; you can achieve it. But then, putting your financial challenges into consideration; Law is not for you.

Law needs concentration, connection and enough money. I doubt if there is any Nigerian University running LAW part-time programme. Even NOUN LAW graduands are not admitted into Law School. Stick to your job, go for another programme, marry and adivise your children NEVER to follow multitude

2 Likes

Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by Saintmary(f): 5:29am On Apr 21, 2018
spend your time in growing your money. You are not getting any younger.
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by idu1(m): 8:18am On Apr 21, 2018
Saintmary:
spend your time in growing your money. You are not getting any younger.
He's not making money. Where he's working now probably won't pay him more than 30k. How he won take grow money? Nigeria is harsh if your family no get money to push you. You are in trouble.

I ll suggest you apply to study business administration at noun instead of going back to rewrite waec to study law. Nothing dey inside law. My opinion though...

1 Like

Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by Funkybabee(f): 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2018
I don't think u discover what u want self,maybe becuz of ur working condition by and by that influence u to begin to look all starry eyed at it,I to will advice you if u are my kin to sit and find your ambition either to proceed with ur accounting in NOUN, inside four years u are ready with ur work experienced even without having no one u have risked with a superior paying job..bro/sister u are not kid any longer

Find what u will like and how it will be simple for u in the following five years
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by emperorlaqrin: 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2018
Paulpaulpaul:
You have tried your best, I can't and won't judge you. The peak is in you, if you can concieve it; you can achieve it. But then, putting your financial challenges into consideration; Law is not for you.

Law needs concentration, connection and enough money. I doubt if there is any Nigerian University running LAW part-time programme. Even NOUN LAW graduands are not admitted into Law School. Stick to your job, go for another programme, marry and adivise your children NEVER to follow multitude

Thanks and I appreciate your opinion I am a very disciplined person but will just say have not been lucky but I know have tried without any sponsor right since I finished My A level , so it was myself all through. for the Noun I am have been admitted already it's just for me to go finish my clearance once admission is open and the Law it was something I have interest in since 4years ago I guess starting afresh was what cost me not taking that path but right now I have found myself In a Law working environment and I do help out in research which makes me more interested but sincerely looking at the years to concentrate on it with my age now is what is making scared cos pressure is already mounting up from some path of the family that I should settle down
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by emperorlaqrin: 2:14pm On Apr 21, 2018
Funkybabee:
I don't think u discover what u want self,maybe becuz of ur working condition by and by that influence u to begin to look all starry eyed at it,I to will advice you if u are my kin to sit and find your ambition either to proceed with ur accounting in NOUN, inside four years u are ready with ur work experienced even without having no one u have risked with a superior paying job..bro/sister u are not kid any longer

Find what u will like and how it will be simple for u in the following five years

Thanks and I appreciate your words and yes you are been factual that may be I don't know what I want but I will accept it cos right from the onset I don't seem to know what I want but right now is either I go into biz cos I already had a company name registered or I study law so am weighing my options closely which will be best .

the fact Is I have a lot of opportunity if I eventually study law cos I already have a lot of contacts who will definitely employ me but if I finish up with noun prog I all have to set up my own biz and remember I still have to consider the finances involved between both options but the fact is if I had the financial capacity I would definitely go for law
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by emperorlaqrin: 2:17pm On Apr 21, 2018
idu1:
He's not making money. Where he's working now probably won't pay him more than 30k. How he won take grow money? Nigeria is harsh if your family no get money to push you. You are in trouble.

I ll suggest you apply to study business administration at noun instead of going back to rewrite waec to study law. Nothing dey inside law. My opinion though...

yes I am not making much but its above 30k and I get weekly impress of at least 3k every week which usually covers my transportation. in terms of the finances to study law full time I might not be able to bear it on my own and I am already admitted at Noun for a biz course
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by Funkybabee(f): 7:56pm On Apr 21, 2018
emperorlaqrin:

Thanks and I appreciate your words and yes you are been factual that may be I don't know what I want but I will accept it cos right from the onset I don't seem to know what I want but right now is either I go into biz cos I already had a company name registered or I study law so am weighing my options closely which will be best .

the fact Is I have a lot of opportunity if I eventually study law cos I already have a lot of contacts who will definitely employ me but if I finish up with noun prog I all have to set up my own biz and remember I still have to consider the finances involved between both options but the fact is if I had the financial capacity I would definitely go for law

So it's next for u to decide what u want now and what convenience for u based on ur current situation..

Best of luck
Re: Can I Study Law At Age Of 29? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 21, 2018
I take an exception to what you said about having contacts.

Let me put it to you - "Do NOT PUT YOUR TRUST IN MAN"

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Top Notch Secrets On How I Made N30,000 Weekly With Tugrow Logistics / Sell Your Car In Dubai / What Is The Buzz About Affiliate Marketing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.