Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,698 members, 7,844,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Arsenal In Freefall? The Timing Of Arsene Wenger's Exit - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arsenal In Freefall? The Timing Of Arsene Wenger's Exit (488 Views)

It Will Be Difficult To Stay — Lichtsteiner Set To Leave Arsenal In Summer / Alvaro Morata Ignores Arsenal Boss Arsene Wenger When Listing Best Managers / Petr Cech Reveals Major Difference Between Jose Mourinho And Arsene Wenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal In Freefall? The Timing Of Arsene Wenger's Exit by qwenu: 4:22am On Apr 21, 2018
Full article here here

Arsenal in Freefall?
Freefall is the downward movement of a body under the force of gravity. It is also a rapid decline in value or prestige. Let's start by taking a step back and taking a deep breath at the same time. Something that once appeared impossible, actually happened today. I woke up to the news that Mr. Wenger would be leaving Arsenal at the end of the season. Are you kidding me? The great, once beloved Arsene would be leaving the Gunners.

I am not an Arsenal fan, not even close. Don't get it twisted, my allegiance lies with Manchester United who not too long ago went through (some would argue are still going through) something similar with the "graceful" departure of Sir Alex Ferguson. However, I have a lot of Arsenal fans as close friends who over the past few years appeared to be oblivious to the fact that a catharsis was needed in London. It is true that the doors seemed to be closing on good old Arsene these past few weeks, but his recent string of wins appeared to at least transiently brainwash the Arsenal fans that I know, with one of them saying that "Wenger should be kept another season to groom this crop of young talent".

As a non-Arsenal fan, I must admit that their style of play and conviction in the recent weeks was surprising in a good way. I have always been a Lacazzette fan, so getting to see him play more, particularly along with Aubameyang was a combination that I felt would yield dividend in the short term if the two were able to mesh successfully with Ozil and Mkhitaryan. It thus came as a shock to hear today that Arsene would be let go at the end of the season. I asked myself, these Arsenal executives were so reluctant to fire Arsene for years despite the yearning of the supporters, and now that they have a shot at the Europa cup which would guarantee them participation in next season's UEFA Champions League, these brilliant executives chose this time to fire him. He had made it clear that the Europa league cup was the goal for the rest of the season, and I could feel the momentum slowly build up among the Arsenal players. I don't live in London, so I don't know what transpired that led to this happening today, but I do live in the social media era where news travels fast.

To me, the timing of this firing could not be any worse. I am not a businessman and do not have any football management experience. I may also be too assuming to surmise that any chances of winning the Europa cup have been blasted to smithereens. Why couldn't they wait a few more weeks until he lost the semi-final or the final? Or even better, after he won the trophy (cough, cough) so that he could ride into the sunset in a blaze of glory. Wouldn't that be a win-win for all? There is no way that this news will not impact the dynamics and mindset of the locker room which will translate to their performance on the field. Or am I underestimating the resilience of these football superstars? Rumors are already swirling about who the next coach will be. Some say, Patrick Viera, hmm. These are unneeded distractions for a football player, and to the guy (me) who has never played a professional soccer game in his life, I see it as the start of a freefall. How long will they freefall for? I don't know, but the Arsenal executives will need to tactfully steer their ship with steady hands. Did anyone say terminal velocity?

My Arsenal friends may disagree with me and I am curious to hear their thoughts about their imminent freefall. Arsene had to go, it was long overdue, but this could have waited a few more weeks. At the start of the season, I had placed a bet with three Arsenal fans that Burnley would finish ahead of Arsenal. I had previously given up on this, but maybe I should resurrect this wager with all the impending drama of Arsene's exit from this famed football club. I may actually make money on Arsenal. Did anyone say windfall?

Read similar post here

Become a contributor/blogger contact: editor@qwenu.com
Re: Arsenal In Freefall? The Timing Of Arsene Wenger's Exit by Johnnyakins: 5:30am On Apr 21, 2018
N

(1) (Reply)

Who Is More Arrogant, Rinaldo Or Messi? / Google Drive's Magic Function Transcribes Amazing Image Characters / Mohamed Salah Makes Exit Demand, Real Madrid And Man Utd Keen - Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.