Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,148 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed (17656 Views)

Left Handed People Evil? / Left Handed People: Whats So Special About Them! / Left Handed People Are more Intelligent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by chiogo(f): 5:22am On May 19, 2010
I'm a rightie but I sometimes passed my mom stuff using my left hand, I remember she would always yell at me. I stopped for a while.

Now I don't think she cares. I know a whole bunch of people who are left-handed. I think it's cool!!

It's just a superstitious crap  tongue Naija people believe in, many people don't care much about it these days esp. those not in Nigeria.

Many Americans are left-handed, it's nothing new to them and no one reprimands anyone for that.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by dallasbeau(f): 5:23am On May 19, 2010
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Outstrip(f): 5:27am On May 19, 2010
Can you guys please stop quoting the scriptures.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 5:28am On May 19, 2010
Foolish culture for very foolish people!

One of the most useless proverbs based on one of the stu.pid cultures in Nigeria goes something like this:

"Only a lost son (bas.tard?) will point at his father's house with his left hand".

With so many Nigerians steeped in such discriminatory and myopic cultures, why won't our country be so backward? Nonsense!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 5:30am On May 19, 2010
samquad:
PROPHET MUHAMMED FORBIDS MUSLIM FROM USING LEFT HAND. HE SAID THATIT IS THE DEVIL THAT DOES THINGS WITH HIS LEFT HAND SO HE URGE MUSLIMNOT TO EMULATE HIM

Only an im.becile will agree with such a retarded view. Is this why some Muslims behave like animals?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Outstrip(f): 5:57am On May 19, 2010
Cohomology:

Foolish culture for very foolish people!

One of the most useless proverbs based on one of the stu.pid cultures in Nigeria goes something like this:

"Only a lost son (bas.tard?) will point at his father's house with his left hand".

With so many Nigerians steeped in such discriminatory and myopic cultures, why won't our country be so backward? Nonsense!

PREACH
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Princek12(m): 6:10am On May 19, 2010
supereagle:

Princek12, what is the relevant of that passage of the Bible to the discussion at hand?

It is relevant because it may provide a reason as to why people associate left handedness with negativity.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Ranoscky(m): 6:32am On May 19, 2010
Rano walks in.

read what the thread is all about . . .

RUBBISH! . . . If i born pikin and my pikin na lefty, make i come see person wey go tell am make him/her change to right

weda OGUN no go fire that person to picies . . . ID!OT.

Rano walks out angrily!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 6:48am On May 19, 2010
I was left-handed as a child. I remember eating quite happily with my left hand, and my dad yelling at me, and smacking me to get me to switch to my right.

It didn't work - till he deviced a different method. He got into the habit of putting one of his filthy, stinking socks on my left hand, and tying a shoe lace round it. Of course the cheesy stench from the sock meant I would naturally not want it anywhere near my mouth, never mind my food! It worked though, but I did feel a lot of resentment towards my dad for a while.

If my kids choose to use their left hands, I wouldn't do anything to change them!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 7:51am On May 19, 2010
Princek12:

It is relevant because it may provide a reason as to why people associate left handedness with negativity.
while they do so they should also remembr that God delivered Isreal once with a left-handed judge [ Ehud]
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by geosegun(m): 7:55am On May 19, 2010
This normallly occur in Yoruba culture. When i was small I had similar problem. But Today It hank God because i never succumb to my relatives victimization. Infact i am proud to be a lefty and i am always happy when i remember that i never succumb to waywardness and ignarance of my relatives. I am easy fascinated when ever i meet Chics using left hands. I am always honoured COS I AM BEATIFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE.

NB. PLS DO NOTE LFTY THEY ARE UNUSUALLY BRILLINT EVEEN TH bIBLE RECOGNIZE THEM. THEY WERE WARRIORS AND WERE GREATLY FEARED DURING THE REIGN OF KING DAVID.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by skfa1: 8:02am On May 19, 2010
Some people use both left and right, what do u want to say about that ?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 8:27am On May 19, 2010
Okay, well, even without any of you explicitly responding to my post, I think I can now see (through a lot of the posts here) the aspect you all are vexing. Alright then. Vex away.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Bletherer: 8:34am On May 19, 2010
---------
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Pain(m): 8:46am On May 19, 2010
I wonder why the human mind is so easy to manipulate with just a little dose of information.

Has any one here pondered a little to come up with the Endless list of Successful Right Handed People?

The list of Left handed US Presidents is made up of only 8 out of 44 a mere 18%

You can carry out further statistics if you have the time and skills, but may I ask? Where is George Washington? Was Einstein Left Handed? Was Isaac Newton L.H?, Was Max Planck? etc

The Point is that you we have both dumb and brilliant lads on both "Sides of the Arm"

Enough of This. Besides, Im Ambidextrous, and I dont think im a Genius. Im just brilliant.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Bletherer: 8:56am On May 19, 2010
[--------
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by bisiaet: 9:13am On May 19, 2010
There is no reason for anyone to persecute or been bully for using left hand it is so painful when some people tends to refer to leftist as a sign of devil, evil or whatever they called it where does that history written or what is the evidence to supported this?

I dont need to mention names the record are there that left users are presidents, ministers, governors, billionaires, business leaders, political leaders, profesors, doctors , great footballers and sportmen and women so where does the ideology of calling left user evil or bad hold ground? No where

Can a hand term evil or bad become a president or ministers or billionaire? So which hand is good or angelic then? This kind of belief are one of those belief that has be putting Africa behind in so many things, it's just unecessary believing in superstitious that is no longer relevant with 21st century idea or belief anylonger.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by bigben3: 9:19am On May 19, 2010
@ topic
absolutely nothing is wrong,just our plain ignorance in this part of the world.Worldover,left handed people are specially endowed and talented lots hence,no one should discourage them
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by CIEthel(f): 9:26am On May 19, 2010
i really dont see what is wrong with being left handed except that African tradition frowns at it. Besides i believe that God gave us two hands to make use of properly and not to tag one good or bad. I always have problems with some of my colleagues when i use my left in place of my busy right hand. i dont say being traditional is bad but we should also know that not all our traditional believes are right. damn thats why we ought to research.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by kemisuga(f): 9:42am On May 19, 2010
Lefties nothing wrong with them. But notice their hand writings are the best. wink
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by sylve11: 9:43am On May 19, 2010
Funny enough, i like most left handed people so much. . . . intelligent dudes and birds! kiss cool
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by AroOkigbo(m): 10:05am On May 19, 2010
NIGERIANS! Always talking about US and UK presidos and celebs.
Let's come back home! How many of our presidos (past and present) are left handed?

Could this be the starting point of our numerous problems?

I'm right handed though and I"M DAMN PROUD OF IT. grin
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by samquad(m): 10:22am On May 19, 2010
people are giving statistics of people in US and UK, but the issue here bothers on African culture, CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE NAMES AND STATISTICS OF NOTABLE PEOPLE IN AFRICA THAT USE LEFT? i think that will help
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by samquad(m): 10:31am On May 19, 2010
Only an im.becile will agree with such a retarded view. Is this why some Muslims behave like animals?[tt][/tt]

WHY CANT PEOPLE ON NL JUST EXPRESS THEIR OPINION INSTEAD OF RESULTING TO OFFENSIVE WAR. I ONLY CONTRIBUTED THE ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE ABOUT THE THREAD AND I SEE NO REASON WHY YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT THIS FAR, WELL I SEE NO REASON WHYRIGHT HAND GUY LIKE ME WILL RESULT TO USING ABUSIVE WORD WITH YOU, YOU ONLY DEMOSTRATED YOUR LEVEL OF MATURITY!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by baconline(m): 10:43am On May 19, 2010
I am left handed,and I use my left hand to do what others use theiright for and vice versa,but I must tell you. Most of we (south paws) are very intelligent. I aint bragging but its the truth. When I was young ,I had my share of beatens for eating with my left. Today,I eat confidently with my left. Write with my left even , , u know cool
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ELEOVIE(m): 11:03am On May 19, 2010
I am above 30 and I still eat with my left, even in public, who cares. Cut your left hand off if it is evil, Or maybe God should have created you with two right hands, that would be great to see on some of those die hard right-handed obsolete culture advocates.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by upc: 11:30am On May 19, 2010
I am not against it but my child cannot dine with me with his/her left hand. any other thing can be done with the left.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by atilla(m): 11:32am On May 19, 2010
From reading this thread it seems a lot of Nigerians are lefties  but were actually forced to change to right hand.
I know that when ur abroad people dont really get suprised if you use ur left but in nigeria people always notice straight away when i use my left to do something.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by nellaluv(f): 11:51am On May 19, 2010
@ kemisuga. . .
you're wrong, most lefties hand-writing is like chicken butt, it's not everyday you see a lefty with a beautiful handwriting.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Freiburger(m): 11:52am On May 19, 2010
Because our culture is a dull wicked and a backward one.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by kemisuga(f): 11:54am On May 19, 2010
@ nellaluv - is okay, but all the ones I know, have good hand writings.

Why are market women/men concerned when customers touched their goods/products with their left hand? They believed left hand will bring bad luck to their sales.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Bletherer: 11:55am On May 19, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Was Mansa-musa Really A Great Man? / Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Prof. Paul Okumagba Crowned As Orosuen Of Okere Urhobo Warri, Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.