Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,930 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Volkswagen Beetle Restoration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Volkswagen Beetle Restoration (3559 Views)

The Production Of The Volkswagen Beetle Ends Today / Old 1966 Volkswagen Beetle Transformed By Nigerian Man (Photos) / This Is Not The Regular Volkswagen Beetle; It Has Been Customized For Offroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by iniruo: 8:42am On Apr 22, 2018
Hi Guys! After seeing various threads a while back of guys here the likes of (Deen) restoring and getting this iconic bug back on the road, i decided to search around town(Lagos) lo and behold i got a good deal on this classic.

The bug was actually RUN & DRIVE but has a lot of wear and tear up close, I am currently searching for anyone that has links or info of how i can get parts, upholstery & basically mechanics here in Lagos as i'll like to do a clean back to stock restore.

I have had to change a couple of things recently like coil, armature for the ignition, And i also noticed that when am on top speed the car sways and the steering wiggles so i can feel that i'd have to do alignment .

Please kindly inform me if you have any info/suggestion on this build.

Thanks smiley

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by xreal: 8:56am On Apr 22, 2018
First, remove that Toyota's logo and replace with Volkswagen logo.

10 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by iniruo: 9:19am On Apr 22, 2018
Obviously! It would be done when its time for body work .
xreal:
First, remove that Toyota's logo and replace with Volkswagen logo.

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by xreal: 9:52am On Apr 22, 2018
iniruo:
Obviously! It would be done when its time for body work .

Thumbs up.

Pls update this thread as the 'restoration' progresses.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 22, 2018
Iniruo nice purchase, interior pics and restoration updates as you go on so that we will flow along with you even if we are not there grin
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 5:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
don't drive at top speed with this bug. all the weight is in the back. it can cause the car to be abit unstable in windy conditions. the top speed should be about 120 km/h. so just stay at around 70/80 km/h.

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by diportivo: 5:53pm On Apr 22, 2018
where is oga denn?

u r needed here o

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 22, 2018
iniruo:
Hi Guys!

Please kindly inform me if you have any info/suggestion on this build.

Thanks smiley

grin I do, yes I do cool

3 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
Octaves:
don't drive at top speed with this bug. all the weight is in the back. it can cause the car to be abit unstable in windy conditions. the top speed should be about 120 km/h. so just stay at around 70/80 km/h.

I disagree.

The issue is not the vehicle itself or the design but lack of maintenance.

Surprisingly many do not understand that there should not be any slack in an automotive suspension and steering system.

The issue he's having is due to bad joints or worse rack and pinion.

Any motor vehicle, even a semi truck should be able to take the vehicle right to the red line in the highest gear and only limited by aerodynamics.

3 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Inception(m): 8:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

grin I do, yes I do cool

I saw this coming grin

3 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by mayor2013: 8:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

grin I do, yes I do cool

Bazuka in there. grin

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by iniruo: 9:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
Thanks bro, i'll upload the interior pic asap, and yes i will post restoration updates as i go
dumo1:
Iniruo nice purchase, interior pics and restoration updates as you go on so that we will flow along with you even if we are not there grin
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by iniruo: 9:11pm On Apr 22, 2018
Lol this looks tooooooo to the extreme bro! am trying to restore to stock and am not necessarily interested in modifications for now, but am sure this would be in the pipeline.. grin grin
EgunMogaji:

grin I do, yes I do cool

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by iniruo: 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2018
Hmmm I see your point. Thanks for your input smiley
EgunMogaji:

I disagree.

Surprisingly many do not understand that there should not be any slack in an automotive suspension and steering system.

Any motor vehicle, even a semi truck should be able to take the vehicle right to the red line in the highest gear and only limited by aerodynamics.

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 4:29pm On Apr 24, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I disagree.

you are right though but this particular car is well known to have an uneven weight distribution

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2018
Octaves:
you are right though but this particular car is well known to have an uneven weight distribution

Oh please stop it.

What is your opinion based on?

How many of it and it's variants have you owned?

It's a perfectly good and sound car that is proportionately balanced. It was very popular in the 60's and 70's with tuners who built all sorts of kit car upon it's chassis.

4 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Oh please stop it.

What is your opinion based on?

How many of it and it's variants have you owned?

It's a perfectly good and sound car that is proportionately balanced. It was very popular in the 60's and 70's with tuners who built all sorts of kit car upon it's chassis.
see this one o. na fight? OK you have won the argument. oya carry your cup

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by mayor2013: 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2018
My dad had one in the 80's. I rode in one when I was training outside the country. The Volkswagen was damn too clean. No modifications though

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 24, 2018
Octaves:
see this one o. na fight? OK you have won the argument. oya carry your cup

Fight with who? You? That's a laugh.

I called out your inept and actually moronic automotive submission that is an insult to VW Beetle owners. If you don't know then sit back and fgn learn.

There's only one unstable entity here and it's not the VW Beetle.

#LazyNigerianYouth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 5:16pm On Apr 24, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Fight with who? You? That's a laugh.

I called out your inept and actually moronic automotive submission that is an insult to VW Beetle owners. If you don't know then sit back and fgn learn.

There's only one unstable entity here and it's not the VW Beetle.

#LazyNigerianYouth
go and sit down kid. you have too much time on your hands. that's why you would be getting bitter and writing long epistles over an ijapa. get off your parents house and get busy. silly brat!
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2018
Octaves:
go and sit down kid. you have too much time on your hands. that's why you would be getting bitter and writing long epistles over an ijapa. get off your parents house and get busy. silly brat!

And you that don't have any time on your hand, I apologize for sidetracking you from your world-saving duties.

Frustrated village rat grin

2 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Freciprocal: 11:33am On Apr 25, 2018
Iniruo if you are in Lagos, I have Videos that would help motivate you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 27, 2018
Iniruo any updates with your beetle?
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Denn(m): 12:54pm On Apr 29, 2018
Octaves:

Weight at the back is actually a good thing especially when the driven wheels are at the back too.

Where do you think F1 and some hypercars cars put their engines?

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Denn(m): 12:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
diportivo:
where is oga denn?

u r needed here o

Reporting for duty sir
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by diportivo: 1:33pm On Apr 29, 2018
Octaves:

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 3:28pm On Apr 29, 2018
Denn:

Weight at the back is actually a good thing especially when the driven wheels are at the back too.

Where do you think F1 and some hypercars cars put their engines?

the super cars like Porsche actually try to achieve a near 50:50 weight distribution which is ideal. sometimes they put 'part' of the engine in the back not all. if you put both the full engine and the axle in the back, the front becomes lighter which is unideal. it can definitely move at top speed but destabilizing conditions like strong winds etc will have a more pronounced effect. I was never suggesting it is unstable at normal conditions. if you have a personal experience with the car, I'd be pleased to hear your insights
Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 29, 2018
Octaves:
the super cars like Porsche actually try to achieve a near 50:50 weight distribution which is ideal. they put 'part' of the engine in the back not all. if you put both engine and the axle in the back, the front becomes lighter which is unideal. it can definitely move at top speed but destabilizing conditions like strong winds etc will have a more pronounced effect. I was never suggesting it is unstable at normal conditions. if you have a personal experience with the car, I'd be pleased to hear your insights
Smh! This one does not know anything about car weight distribution. Why then do you think Lamborghini and Ferrari make some mid-engine cars?

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Octaves(m): 4:11pm On Apr 29, 2018
dumo1:

Smh! This one does not know anything about car weight distribution. Why then do you think Lamborghini and Ferrari make some mid-engine cars?
MR cars are not the same as RR cars. RR cars have some outstanding advantages that front mounted engines don't have like stronger acceleration and braking. apart from that, they have some inherent over steering and stability issues, which of course can be minimized in high performance cars with ingenious engineering. mid engine cars have a nearer even weight distribution than rear engined cars. The VW beetle is a nice classic car that drives well, but that won't stop some of the disadvantages inherent in its design to manifest in extreme conditions.

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Denn(m): 4:40pm On Apr 29, 2018
Octaves:
the super cars like Porsche actually try to achieve a near 50:50 weight distribution which is ideal. sometimes they put 'part' of the engine in the back not all. if you put both the full engine and the axle in the back, the front becomes lighter which is unideal. it can definitely move at top speed but destabilizing conditions like strong winds etc will have a more pronounced effect. I was never suggesting it is unstable at normal conditions. if you have a personal experience with the car, I'd be pleased to hear your insights

I have owned many beetles and used it as a daily driver for some months, travelling across abeokuta to Lagos through ifo at least once a week during these periods.

Top speed was around 120km/h but the car got to that speed really fast.

Traction was sure and vehicle felt like a German through corners.

Front gets too light if the power delivery is proportionally too huge. A beetle with less than 100hp at the wheels will do just fine, infact too fine with that set up

3 Likes

Re: Volkswagen Beetle Restoration by Denn(m): 4:42pm On Apr 29, 2018
Octaves:
MR cars are not the same as RR cars. RR cars have some outstanding advantages that front mounted engines don't have like stronger acceleration and braking. apart from that, they have some inherent over steering and stability issues, which of course can be minimized in high performance cars with ingenious engineering. mid engine cars have a nearer even weight distribution than rear engined cars. The VW beetle is a nice classic car that drives well, but that won't stop some of the disadvantages inherent in its design to manifest in extreme conditions.

You sound too theoretical. Have you driven a beetle at high speeds before?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Should I Go For Between Lexus RX 350 & ES 350 Both 2007 Model? / My Honda Accord 2003 (EOD) Engine Oil Problem / Nissan Quest Problems. Advice Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.