Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? (1546 Views)

Sanwo-Olu List Achievements In Health In 2 Years / COVID-19: 3 Returnees Evacuated From Dubai To Nigeria Have Tested Positive / Who Has Heard About Turbo Max Blue, Does It Truely Makes Penis Bigger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 10:49am On Apr 22, 2018
Okay! There is this misconception about mental health in Nigeria. In fact when asked, if you are mentally okay that's when folks remember they have muscles to flex. cheesy grin

Mental health isn't all about the people you see running on the street with tarred clothes eating whatever the hand touches. It is bigger than that.

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.

So it's not an Oyinbo thing. It just as important as our physical health.

Mental health discussion are still seen as taboos in this country, because of this stigma related to this. An organisation has stood up to fight for the vulnerable ones who are affected by this.

I introduce to you MANI smiley

Who are they?

Mentally Aware Nigeria Initiative (MANI) is a non-profit organization focused on raising awareness on mental health and illnesses as well as working to connect service users to mental health professionals. MANI was founded and registered in Nigeria in December 2015 with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/IT NO 83725), but was officially launched on the 11th of June 2016 by a team of young doctors and concerned individuals led by Dr. Victor Ugo.

How do they work

Online, MANI has successfully adopted and developed various social media techniques and strategies to shine the light and draw public attention to mental health. In the second half of 2016 several online chats and pictures messages were hosted on Twitter and displayed on Instagram and Facebook with the organization’s official handle with the use of highly relevant hashtags.

MANI currently maintains an organizational presence through their primary online channels: a website, a blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages as well as employs the use of offline media channels, such as TV and radio. One of their main services offered is the suicide/distress hotline, which serves to provide suicide intervention as well as mental health first aid to callers; all of whom are subsequently referred to appropriate quarters for specialized care.

So far the online campaigns have experienced remarkable success as MANI, since mid 2016, has grown its community base to more than 500 young people spread across the country and even the world, with a social media following of more than 20,000 followers; which has even only increased the potency of the campaigns so far, both online and offline.

People that use MANI’s services include but are not limited to individuals coping with mental illness, family members of service users, as well as individuals who feel some concern for their mental state. Potential users include those in the area where MANI hopes to expand its hotline and awareness services to.

What makes them unique?

MANI is uniquely positioned as the largest and most active organization that offers a specialized community where no one is discriminated for their illness and where people can speak up freely.

They are focused on removing the stigma that surrounds mental health issues, and creating a comfortable environment for an open conversation about mental health issues. As an organization, they aim to achieve this through online campaigns especially via their social media channels. We will also organize grassroots sensitization in rural communities, workshops, seminars, partner events

Their most unique selling point is the community of acceptance they provide as well as the opportunity for people to tell their stories without fear of stigma.

Source: https://mentallyaware.org/about/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MentallyAwareNG
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mentallyawareng/

3 Shares

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 11:27am On Apr 22, 2018
"We are well within the time of the Social Media, and these apps have come to serve as the platform for people to share their lives publicly, in real time. In these times where suicide rates are rising across the world, we have to now recognize that Social Media is the New Suicide Note, and we all have to listen."

Victor Ugo, 2017

4 Shares

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 11:41am On Apr 22, 2018
The organisation has different chapters though it's head branch is Lagos.

Chapters are in Abuja,Ibadan and Ph. If you are in any of this places or surrounding areas you can volunteer in their activities

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 11:50am On Apr 22, 2018
You can follow up on their YouTube channel.

This is one out of the others on the channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCqW2IU-6Q

According to the country's penal code (Nigeria Penal Code, Chapter 27, Section 327) Any person who attempts to kill himself is guilty of a misdemeanor and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 3:03pm On Apr 22, 2018
cc: seun, dominique,Sissy3, cao, lalasticlala,RoyalRoy, OAM4J,mynd44

Nice topic to move to front page smiley Abeg people need to be informed. Help move this!!

Luckymay, TeHN, UncleSnr, CatfishBilly, BennyDGreat, samiechuks, okadigbo200, LagLeatherbacks, Sexxkillz, hahn, 3KINGZ18, Milonis, foolinlove, Happiness87, dearpreye, Loluores, MoNickk, johnydon22, gameaddict, MarieSucre, plaetton, morethanadoll, Illuminatus, Cetona, MissTechy, davien, ronald4lif, princeidris222, cococandy, CoCoLav, luxanne, haywhy28, NigAmbassador, Missyetty, Nimen, Guykhena, sosiqdude, GIYAZZ, saintneo, bellong, pweetyz, MadCow1, Gloria3389, kandiikane, tjskii, jayriginal, Ariyke, chiboy429, akay48,ERF, obainojazz, onegig, Lucario007

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by bellong: 10:36pm On Apr 22, 2018
My O my.... Happy new yearssss. Long time, where have you been?

1 Like

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 11:34pm On Apr 22, 2018
bellong:
My O my.... Happy new yearssss. Long time, where have you been?

Lol. same to youuu. cheesygrin I have been around, acting as a ghost mostly nowgrin What about you?
Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by bellong: 12:08am On Apr 23, 2018
joywendy:

Lol. same to youuu. cheesygrin I have been around, acting as a ghost mostly nowgrin What about you?

I don't have your contact anymore. I thought you deactivated here already.

I am doing good by His grace.
Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 9:32pm On Apr 23, 2018
bellong:

I don't have your contact anymore. I thought you deactivated here already.

I am doing good by His grace.

deactivated ke? I'm too attached to the account to leave cheesy

I will email you now, apparently the email I was using for this account is no longer functional.So I wouldn't have been able to read Pms. I just changed it so we can still talk.

I noticed you aren't active on Facebook
Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 9:33pm On Apr 23, 2018
seun, dominique,Sissy3, lalasticlala,

Una should help na. You could be saving a life with this thread.
Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 11:10am On Apr 24, 2018
Good morning beautiful people, it’s my pleasure to introduce to you, the first series where they would be having #QnA on different #mentalhealthmatters .
On this series, they are addressing the ‘External Influence on Drug Abuse’
Do you think video games are more addictive than drugs?”
This was done by the Mani Abuja chapter
Join the discussion by clicking the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8caxTjda_M

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 10:51am On May 31, 2018
Mani Abujà conversation cafe was wonderful as the attendants met with a clinical psychologist who spoke about Emotional transition. After wards the organisation partnered with Bellefulnaija to give out food stuffs to the children at Wuse Market who hustle for their daily bread.....

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by Loluores: 1:22pm On Oct 03, 2018
joywendy:
Okay! There is this misconception about mental health in Nigeria. In fact when asked, if you are mentally okay that's when folks remember they have muscles to flex. cheesy grin

Mental health isn't all about the people you see running on the street with tarred clothes eating whatever the hand touches. It is bigger than that.

Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.

Mental health discussion are still seen as taboos in this country, because of this stigma related to this. An organisation has stood up to fight for the vulnerable ones who are affected by this.

Who are they?

Mentally Aware Nigeria Initiative (MANI) is a non-profit organization focused on raising awareness on mental health and illnesses as well as working to connect service users to mental health professionals. MANI was founded and registered in Nigeria in December 2015 with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/IT NO 83725), but was officially launched on the 11th of June 2016 by a team of young doctors and concerned individuals led by Dr. Victor Ugo.

How do they work

Online, MANI has successfully adopted and developed various social media techniques and strategies to shine the light and draw public attention to mental health. In the second half of 2016 several online chats and pictures messages were hosted on Twitter and displayed on Instagram and Facebook with the organization’s official handle with the use of highly relevant hashtags.

MANI currently maintains an organizational presence through their primary online channels: a website, a blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages as well as employs the use of offline media channels, such as TV and radio. One of their main services offered is the suicide/distress hotline, which serves to provide suicide intervention as well as mental health first aid to callers; all of whom are subsequently referred to appropriate quarters for specialized care.

So far the online campaigns have experienced remarkable success as MANI, since mid 2016, has grown its community base to more than 500 young people spread across the country and even the world, with a social media following of more than 20,000 followers; which has even only increased the potency of the campaigns so far, both online and offline.

People that use MANI’s services include but are not limited to individuals coping with mental illness, family members of service users, as well as individuals who feel some concern for their mental state. Potential users include those in the area where MANI hopes to expand its hotline and awareness services to.

What makes them unique?

MANI is uniquely positioned as the largest and most active organization that offers a specialized community where no one is discriminated for their illness and where people can speak up freely.

They are focused on removing the stigma that surrounds mental health issues, and creating a comfortable environment for an open conversation about mental health issues. As an organization, they aim to achieve this through online campaigns especially via their social media channels. We will also organize grassroots sensitization in rural communities, workshops, seminars, partner events

Their most unique selling point is the community of acceptance they provide as well as the opportunity for people to tell their stories without fear of stigma.

Nice finding you here once again, Joywendy. I hope you still play your chess from time to time.

Very interesting initiative here. Whether we like it or not, mental health is here to stay, as it has been even before this era. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by joywendy(f): 1:12pm On Oct 04, 2018
Loluores:

Nice finding you here once again, Joywendy. I hope you still play your chess from time to time.

Very interesting initiative here. Whether we like it or not, mental health is here to stay, as it has been even before this era. Keep up the good work.

Hey! long time. I sent an email. I still do. Are you following up on the chess Olympiad? I don't think folks are really following it up on nairaland

Thanks a lot
Re: Mental Health in Nigeria: Have you heard about M.A.N.I? by CuteSommy: 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2018
joywendy:

Who are they?

How do they work

What makes them unique?

Okay okay okay... You can't talk about mental health without mentioning the healing effect and amazing effect of CBDoil

You can get online via www.hempworx.com/healthville

(1) (Reply)

Premature Ejaculation – Causes & Treatment / Man Dies After Maggot Infestation mouth (PHOTOS) / Resident Doctors Begins Strike Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.