Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Profitability Of Plantain Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Profitability Of Plantain Farming (9235 Views)

My Journey Into Plantain Farming - Challenges, Cost And Profit / Profitability Of Plantain Farming Updated / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 7:58pm On Apr 22, 2018
One of the very frequent question I am confronted with by new and intending farmers is on how profitable is plantain farming.
I will use this medium to address this question.
I am the MD of Bernoulli Farms and Food Limited based in Port Harcourt. I have been farming plantain for a couple of years now so my opinion is based on practicals and not just one academic work put together to steer your desire for quick cash.

Plantain farming is profitable. But like every other business, for you to profit from plantain farming, you need to understand how to maintain it.
One constant to ensuring you are profitable in the business is to get good specie. Thereafter, follow that up with good maintenance.

I will quickly run a feasibility using a farmer that starts with one acre of land ( 6 plots) and acquires 800 hybrid and treated plantain suckers.
I will assume the land belongs to the farmer and that the land is prepared(stumps and grasses removed) for planting of the plantain.

Cost of purchasing suckers = 150 per sucker = 150 x 800 = 120,000
Transportation (This is variable depending on where you are getting your stock but we will use #10,000) = #10,000
Cost of Planting = #20 per sucker = 20 x 800 = #16,000 ( This cost can be avoided if you plant them yourself or with family)
Cost of Poultry manure = # 200 per bag = 200 x 20 bags = #4000

Total cost for setting up= #150,000

Cost of maintenance

The major maintenance within the period is application of manure and weeding
For the weeding, you can use 2 bottles of chemical for one acre. And each time you spray, it keeps the grasses at bay for about 4 months
Each bottle cost about #2,000 which means total cost is #4,000 per time. In one year you would have spent #12,000.
For the manure, get pig dung. It is cheaper and last longer than poultry manure. One application can last for one year unlike poultry manure that wears out within a short period.
For one acre, get 160 bags at #100 each bag = #16,000
Transportation of manure = #10,000

Total cost of maintenance = #38,000

TOTAL COST OF SETTING UP AND MAINTENANCE = #150,000 + #38,000 = #188,000/Year

REVENUE/RETURNS

FIRST YEAR

If you plant a good specie and maintain properly, expect the below.

Your return will come in two folds.

1. Sale of Suckers: Each plantain stem can produce at least 8 suckers. Which means for 800 plantain stem you should expect 6400 suckers.
If you decide to sell 5 suckers from each stem, you will be having 5 x 800= 4000 suckers available for sale = 4000 x 150= #600,000

2. Sale of plantain fruits: If each of the plantain produces one bunch that you conservatively sell at #500 each, you will be making
800 x #500 = #400,000

Therefore total return for first year = #600,000 + #400,000 = #1,000,000
Profit = #1,000,000 - #188,000 = #812,000.

Plantain farming is like fine wine. It gets better with time. The second and third year is even better as you dont have to buy suckers again or plant again unless you are replanting.

We can buy your plantain fruits upon harvest if we supply you our hybrid plantain suckers.

You can contact Bernoulli Farms and Food Limited on 08138286066 (Calls only) and 08186005285 (whatsapp only) for further consultation
Visit and like our page www.facebook.com/bernoullifarmsnfood for more tips on plantain farming and Agribusiness

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by abescom: 8:25pm On Apr 22, 2018
Bookmarked
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by danolorunmo(m): 8:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
Hello guys, if you are interested in the plantain business after contacting the op, you can then contact me for a professional business plan. Allow me sell your business by putting it into writing. You can reach me on danolorunmo@gmail.com
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Mustack: 7:52am On Apr 23, 2018
What's the best spacing of planting plantain... Some say 2.5 × 2.5 is the best... I will be glad if you share more light on this area.. Also i hope its not late too plant it during the month of may/june or possible july... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by benzion72(m): 11:40am On Apr 23, 2018
You can only sell sucker for 150 at PHC, it is not so costly elsewhere. And a bunch of Plantain should be more than 500 naira depending on the season

2 Likes

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2018
Mustack:
What's the best spacing of planting plantain... Some say 2.5 × 2.5 is the best... I will be glad if you share more light on this area.. Also i hope its not late too plant it during the month of may/june or possible july... Thanks

2.5m x 2.5m is best spacing but u will get very good result with 2m x 2m.
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 6:42pm On Apr 23, 2018
benzion72:
You can only sell sucker for 150 at PHC, it is not so costly elsewhere. And a bunch of Plantain should be more than 500 naira depending on the season

In my statement, I used conservatively. Which means a bunch of plantain can sell for much higher than #500 per bunch. This is a feasibility so we use worst case scenario. Very good species of sucker sell for #150 and above. With proper negotiation bothering around quantity, you can get it for less.

2 Likes

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Mustack: 6:47pm On Apr 23, 2018
Bernoullifarm:

2.5m x 2.5m is best spacing but u will get very good result with 2m x 2m.
With this how many suckers can be planted on 1 acre??

1 Like

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 6:52pm On Apr 23, 2018
Mustack:

With this how many suckers can be planted on 1 acre??

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Mustack: 7:45pm On Apr 23, 2018
Bernoullifarm:

Thanks brother..
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by SOJOSEPH(m): 10:48am On May 07, 2018
Bernoullifarm:

One of the very frequent question I am confronted with by new and intending farmers is on how profitable is plantain farming.
I will use this medium to address this question.
I am the MD of Bernoulli Farms and Food Limited based in Port Harcourt. I have been farming plantain for a couple of years now so my opinion is based on practicals and not just one academic work put together to steer your desire for quick cash.

Plantain farming is profitable. But like every other business, for you to profit from plantain farming, you need to understand how to maintain it.
One constant to ensuring you are profitable in the business is to get good specie. Thereafter, follow that up with good maintenance.

I will quickly run a feasibility using a farmer that starts with one acre of land ( 6 plots) and acquires 800 hybrid and treated plantain suckers.
I will assume the land belongs to the farmer and that the land is prepared(stumps and grasses removed) for planting of the plantain.

Cost of purchasing suckers = 150 per sucker = 150 x 800 = 120,000
Transportation (This is variable depending on where you are getting your stock but we will use #10,000) = #10,000
Cost of Planting = #20 per sucker = 20 x 800 = #16,000 ( This cost can be avoided if you plant them yourself or with family)
Cost of Poultry manure = # 200 per bag = 200 x 20 bags = #4000

Total cost for setting up= #150,000

Cost of maintenance

The major maintenance within the period is application of manure and weeding
For the weeding, you can use 2 bottles of chemical for one acre. And each time you spray, it keeps the grasses at bay for about 4 months
Each bottle cost about #2,000 which means total cost is #4,000 per time. In one year you would have spent #12,000.
For the manure, get pig dung. It is cheaper and last longer than poultry manure. One application can last for one year unlike poultry manure that wears out within a short period.
For one acre, get 160 bags at #100 each bag = #16,000
Transportation of manure = #10,000

Total cost of maintenance = #38,000

TOTAL COST OF SETTING UP AND MAINTENANCE = #150,000 + #38,000 = #188,000/Year

REVENUE/RETURNS

FIRST YEAR

If you plant a good specie and maintain properly, expect the below.

Your return will come in two folds.

1. Sale of Suckers: Each plantain stem can produce at least 8 suckers. Which means for 800 plantain stem you should expect 6400 suckers.
If you decide to sell 5 suckers from each stem, you will be having 5 x 800= 4000 suckers available for sale = 4000 x 150= #600,000

2. Sale of plantain fruits: If each of the plantain produces one bunch that you conservatively sell at #500 each, you will be making
800 x #500 = #400,000

Therefore total return for first year = #600,000 + #400,000 = #1,000,000
Profit = #1,000,000 - #188,000 = #812,000.

Plantain farming is like fine wine. It gets better with time. The second and third year is even better as you dont have to buy suckers again or plant again unless you are replanting.

We can buy your plantain fruits upon harvest if we supply you our hybrid plantain suckers.

You can contact Bernoulli Farms and Food Limited on 08138286066 (Calls only) and 08186005285 (whatsapp only) for further consultation
Visit and like our page www.facebook.com/bernoullifarmsnfood for more tips on plantain farming and Agribusiness

Good morning.

Please what is the impact of hybrid suckers?

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 8:41pm On May 12, 2018
[quote author=SOJOSEPH post=67350823][/quote]
Hybrid suckers are drought resistant, fruits faster and produces plenty and big fingers.
When treated, the suckers are immune to nematode and fungi attack
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Bernoullifarm: 11:23pm On Aug 03, 2018
A couple of times, people have called me to say "I bought plantain suckers from Mr. so so so..." but the yield was very poor and I am discouraged.
Yes, the plantain specie could be responsible but there are so many other factors that could result in poor yield. This is from my experience in farming plantain for a couple of years now.
Today, I will discuss the impact of nematode on plantain yield.
Nematodes are a diverse animal phylum inhabiting a broad range of environments.
The Nematode that affects plantain and Banana are commonly called Banana burrowing nematode, black head disease of banana
The scientific name is Radopholus similis
In this discuss, we will examine
1. The Symptoms of Nematodes Attack
2. The Impact of Nematode on Plantain Yield
3. Detection of Nematode Attack
4. Treatment

SYMPTOMS OF NEMATODES ATTACK

The burrowing nematode destroys the roots of bananas and plantains so that the plants are starved of water, nutrients, and lack support. Consequently, (i) the mother plants and suckers grow slowly, the number and size of leaves is smaller than normal, leaves are yellowish, and fruit bunches are small, or (ii) the plants fall down in heavy rain or winds before fruits are mature, a symptom known as "toppling"

The fine feeder roots are killed, whereas the larger anchoring roots develop dark red streaks as far as the central parts, known as the stele. The lesions join together, and turn black as they are invaded by other microorganisms. Rots occur. Finally, the rots form a ring around the root and kill it. The corms are also infected, and black areas form, known as "black heads". As roots die, new ones grow from the corms and they, too, become infected by nematodes and are killed.

IMPACT OF NEMATODE ON PLANTAIN YIELD

The burrowing nematode causes losses of between 30 and 60% in the yield of bananas and plantains. The difference depends on soil fertility, with greatest losses in "poor" soils, those lacking organic materials. There are also differences between populations around the world in the symptoms they cause, and the variety of banana preferred by the burrowing nematodes.

DETECTION

Look for mother and sucker plants that are growing slowly, with yellowish unhealthy leaves. Inspect the roots, break them open lengthways and look for the dark red streaks in the outer parts, enlarging and turning black. Look for plants that have fallen over in heavy rains and strong winds before the fruits have ripened.

TREATMENT

Nematicides are used in combating nematodes. But nematicides have the disadvantage of being toxic both to human and to the environment when applied at a certain concentration.
At Bernoulli Farms and Food Limited, we tackle nematodes from inception.
We employ the best, healthy and environmentally friendly approach in the generation of nematode and other plantain disease free plantain suckers that ensures your yield is bountiful and your plantain business is profitable.
In the next article, we will look at some other factors that can affect your plantain yield and profitability.

Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/bernoullifarmsnfood for more exciting information about plantain business and other areas of our interest in Agribusiness.
To order for your clean and disease free plantain suckers, call 08138286066 or whatsapp 08186005285
We boast of the best plantain and Banana specie

1 Like

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by GbubemiStone(m): 8:15am On Aug 08, 2018
40 DOZEN HYBRID PLANTAIN NEEDED URGENTLY FOR WEEKLY SUPPLY

Plantain farmers situated in South south and south west needed for 40dozens of hybrid plantain weekly supply.

Pls. . I need farmers/persons who can supply 40dozens of hybrid plantain on weekly basis
Situated in South south and southwest. pickup /delivery

For further details

Call/Whatssap on:

gamonetsone@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by DONKINGS10(m): 11:03am On Jun 24, 2019
i love this business i will think about it do my business plan and get back to you op you try
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by ekstopher: 1:51am On May 09, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/5832460/3-tips-manage-risks-plantain
I think you suys should also read this on managing risks in plantain farming
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by ekstopher: 1:52am On May 09, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/5832460/3-tips-manage-risks-plantain

I think you suys should also read this on managing risks in plantain farming
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by konews: 6:12pm On Nov 25, 2020
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by Incredibleme: 5:38am On Jan 21, 2021
Resourceful
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by OHGOODGOD: 9:34am On Jan 21, 2021
I base in Ekiti State can you supply me plantain sucker here
Re: Profitability Of Plantain Farming by tosine4ubodmass: 7:03pm On Jan 29, 2021
OHGOODGOD:
I base in Ekiti State can you supply me plantain sucker here
where are you in ekiti.?am also from ekiti.

(1) (Reply)

Brachiaria Grass: A Must For Cow, Sheep,Goat,etc Farmers..now Available / A Thread For Cashew Nuts Merchants And Farmer / Nigeria Loses N380bn Annually From Cashew Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.