Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:28 AM

Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours (7585 Views)

7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by preselect(m): 10:52pm On May 26, 2010
that will not happen unfortunately
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by AndreUweh(m): 11:11pm On May 26, 2010
Those parents are in their sixties and seventies. If they do not confess, those lies will hunt them even when they finally fall asleep. Time for repentance. Eze Frank Ekeh of Woji has done that already.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by preselect(m): 4:17am On May 27, 2010
who be ezeh frank ekeh and where be woji
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Abagworo(m): 4:51am On May 27, 2010
pres-elect:

who be ezeh frank ekeh and where be woji
eze gbaka gbaka of evoh kingdom in portharcourt.1st class nyenweli.i doubt if he could do that because he was actually one of those who went to convince the northerners that ikwerres are not igbos and should be given a minority status.if he did then he is a man of honor.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by AndreUweh(m): 1:36pm On May 27, 2010
Eze Frank Ekeh has reclaimed Igbo and has been actively involved in Igbo socio/cultural activities in Rivers state now.
Others should emulate him.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Ibime(m): 6:15am On May 29, 2010
ow11:

NOT TRUE. . . Okrika is the British way of pronouncing WAKRIKE! Wakrike in Ijo means 'we are not different'. Which is what they call themselves as in 'they are nto different from members of the villages in the creeks of the delta. That account is not accurate and very misleading.

Spot on. . . .however, a lot of Okrika villages are made up fully or partly by subsequent Igbo migration as ama-diva rightly pointed out. . .
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Abagworo(m): 7:13pm On May 29, 2010
Ibime:

Spot on. . . .however, a lot of Okrika villages are made up fully or partly by subsequent Igbo migration as ama-diva rightly pointed out. . .

okrika might as well mean okrika.is there not a popular man who goes by the name wellington okrika from ijaw in delta state?there is however a village called umuokrika in mbaise, imo state.that account sounds true and was given to the whiteman without bias since there was nothing at stake.that account accepted the ijaw influence and language affirnity.looking at their occupation of 50% traders and 50% fishermen further shows the equal contribution of igbos and ijaws in populating okrika.what however baffles me is that with the level of intermingling between igbo and ijaw there is still no much love between them.even with the continued inter marriages to this day.many people are also unaware of how deep inland ijaws settled up to aba in abia state,forming parts of mordern ngwa,asa and ndoki.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by udezue(m): 7:43pm On May 29, 2010
Ijo-Igbo relationship is quite complicated. How can both people intermarry so much yet antagonize eachother?
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by ChinenyeN(m): 8:09pm On May 29, 2010
Udezue, such a thing happens when identities are recognized as separate and distinct.

My only 'problem' (more like, what always raises my eyebrows and makes me contort my face) is the constant maintenance of Igbo settlement as a result of slave trade. All things considered, I never really understood that.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by amadiva1: 8:50pm On Jun 08, 2010
firstly ,i do not believe that the antagonism between the ijaw and other south south minorities on one hand and the igbo {south east} on the other is as bad as some igbo think. the igbo would definitely want us to be more united however like I've stated in my earlier post if the only goal of achieving better unity is biafra then it probably
will not improve much for now because the greatest fear the rest of Nigeria and the south south have regarding igbo is IGBO DOMINANCE .
the white man says "perception is reality" and the igbo on nairaland may say they don't wish to dominate anybody but we all know how an igbo man can come into yur vicinity to trade and take over yur village .what is actually a brilliant trait could also be a hindrance {just like the Jews are perceived worldwide }.the Jews have also been persecuted worldwide partly because of the same gift of industry .
as far as the current relationship btw igbo and ijaw there are lots of igbo doing ,business's in rivers state ,bayelsa
warri etc infact lots of igbo own shops in yenagoa .even in the rural areas of rivers and bayelsa there are igbos living and conducting business peacefully .the high rates of intermarriage also shows that the perceived antagonism is not so bad .i personally do not believe that in Nigeria today the ijaw have less affection for the igbo than any other majority ethnicity .
the civil war also strained political relationships between both groups . hopefully people are healing .and my igbo cousins should realise that the ijaw also lost people who fought for biafra.
i would like to know the igbo view on this "antagonism".
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by ChinenyeN(m): 9:23pm On Jun 08, 2010
ama-diva:

First of all, I personally think that people worry too much over this. BUT, Secondly, they also make this antagonism seem really bad, and quite honestly, I'm convinced that it is. You mentioned intermarriage and doing business. I agree that's all good and well. Socio-economically, there is no issue, but socio-politically though, there seems to be deep-rooted, unavoidable tension. The 'Fear of Igbo Domination' (although I have never really understood this) seems to be a very real part of this antagonism. This fear is the foundation for the socio-political distrust I have observed.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by AndreUweh(m): 11:27pm On Jun 08, 2010
@Ama-D: The fear of Igbo dominance should not arise at all. They should see Ndigbo as a people they should challenge. Competitions brings out the best in any person. If an Igboman is first in a class, A kalabari man should see it as a challenge that next term it should be his turn to come out tops. All this Igbo people and communities are where they are because they challenge each other.
It is only the weak who is fearful of competitions or challenges. I remember when Chelsea f.c won the league back to back 2005 and 2006, Man U saw it as a challenge. As aresult they raised their game and you know what happened.
The west today have been able to attain enviable heights because of the challenges they pose to one another.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by udezue(m): 3:56am On Jun 09, 2010
The fear of Igbo domination is just a lazy man's excuse. You make it seem like the Igbo get supernatural power. I beg we are just humans that are hardworking. Get off ur lazy behinds and quit thinking that oil, properties dashed to u by govts, is the only way to survive.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 04, 2010
Are Ijaws the only neighbours of the IGBOS ? Why are Igbos always on Ijaw matter and always trying to cajole Ijaws to be Igbo brothers ? Igbos simply need to start doing their own things and be proud to be Igbos along Igbo boundary. No Ijaw is afraid of Igbo domination. The fear is the adulteartion of our beautiful culture By migrant Igbos. Bonny and Opobo are very good example where Igbos have so messed up the beautiful Kalabari ijaw tradition of the people. and now you find a Tonye, Boma, Priye, Belema, Dawari, Ibinabo of Bonny and Opobo speaking either Igbo or a messed up Ibani ( Ubani ) which is an adulterated KALABARI . Igbos wear Kalabari attire wrongly and call them Igbo wears instead. They do Kalabari IOjaw things wrongly and claim them to be their tradition.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2010
ABAGWORO wrote,

.All the Okrika know, or will tell of themselves, is that
their forefathers originally came to Okrika from Afam, a place
beyond Obu-akpu in the interior Ibo country, which points to,
if it does not determine, an Ibo origin ; and the fact of their
close contact with the Ibani on one side, and to a lesser
degree with the New Calabar on the other, at once accounts
for their dialect being affiliated to both of these as well as to
the Ijo.

One version maintains that the New Calabar(kalabari) people are
an offshoot of the Efik from Old Calabar, from whom they
divided themselves because of civil war. Driven out of their
town, they took refuge, it is said, in the Ibo country, and were
conducted by some Aro down to the locality lying between
Isokpo Market(headquarters of ikwerre lga) and Bugama.

Here it was that, during one of their fishing excursions
towards the sea, they fell in with a Portuguese ship at the
entrance of the channel now known as the New Calabar
river. The captain of the vessel having made an offer to
trade with them, they were so pleased at the idea that they
left Isokpo and formed a settlement on the right bank of
the river close to its mouth, which resulted in a large slave
trade being carried on between them and the Portuguese or
Spaniards.

According to the New Calabar(kalabari) section, who now live at
Bakana, a portion of their tribe at all events originated from
the Ijo ; and the tradition is that formerly when the people of
a town or community went hunting it was customary to make
an equal division of all the game that had been killed. On
one occasion, however, the division appears to have been
carried out unequally,

why are IGBOS always this sick and mental ? Writing fake history of others always just to please themselves.

Okrika, Ibani and Kalabari are one and the same people bearing the same names and speaking the same language. They are Ijaws. How ever the Igbos among them were Igbos bought by various alapus ( rich men ) especially during the slave trade. Many of such Igbos gained freedom and became part of the people with equal right.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by asha2: 5:33pm On Oct 04, 2010
killayut:

Are Ijaws the only neighbours of the IGBOS ? Why are Igbos always on Ijaw matter and always trying to cajole Ijaws to be Igbo brothers ? Igbos simply need to start doing their own things and be proud to be Igbos along Igbo boundary. No Ijaw is afraid of Igbo domination. The fear is the adulteartion of our beautiful culture By migrant Igbos. Bonny and Opobo are very good example where Igbos have so messed up the beautiful Kalabari ijaw tradition of the people. and now you find a Tonye, Boma, Priye, Belema, Dawari, Ibinabo of Bonny and Opobo speaking either Igbo or a messed up Ibani ( Ubani ) which is an adulterated KALABARI . Igbos wear Kalabari attire wrongly and call them Igbo wears instead. They do Kalabari IOjaw things wrongly and claim them to be their tradition.

Guy you make no sense here.

So igbo culture is bad and ijaw culture is beautiful that any igbo contact means adultration?

The Opobo and Bonny you are talking about i hope you know that alot of their descendants are igbo?

Tonye belema etc speaking igbo how is that the fault of the igbo Did igbos force any one to speak igbo language?

The messed up Ibani you are talking about i hope you know that a lot some Opobians see the language as their original language but you calling it messed up kalabari as if na igbos cause am.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by ezeagu(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2010
killayut:

Are Ijaws the only neighbours of the IGBOS ? Why are Igbos always on Ijaw matter and always trying to cajole Ijaws to be Igbo brothers ?

Big headed statement. Right now you should learn that the majority of the Igbo care less about "Ijaw matter".

killayut:

Igbos simply need to start doing their own things and be proud to be Igbos along Igbo boundary.

Since when have Igbo people not been doing their own thing? When Jaja enforced the Igbo langauge into his kingdom, and when the Igbo speakers of Ubani rose to predominance, were they not doing their own thing? What about the IGBO founder of Ubani? grin

killayut:

No Ijaw is afraid of Igbo domination. The fear is the adulteartion of our beautiful culture By migrant Igbos. Bonny and Opobo are very good example where Igbos have so messed up the beautiful Kalabari ijaw tradition of the people.

And what has this got to with the Igbo, did the Igbo force the Ijaw to speak their language?
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by ow11(m): 7:02pm On Oct 06, 2010
This is becoming a bore! Every few weeks a thread pops up trying to understand Igbo boundaries in RV state. Issues will be trashed and tomorrow another pig head will open another one!

I take it as an ego massaging exercise giving various respondents some form of importance if the expanse of his home empire can be increased virtually. It's pathetic!
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by AndreUweh(m): 7:13pm On Oct 06, 2010
ow11:

This is becoming a bore! Every few weeks a thread pops up trying to understand Igbo boundaries in RV state. Issues will be trashed and tomorrow another pig head will open another one!

I take it as an ego massaging exercise giving various respondents some form of importance if the expanse of his home empire can be increased virtually. It's pathetic!

Don't mind Killayut and his unreasonable logic.
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by asha80(m): 7:19pm On Oct 06, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Don't mind Killayut and his unreasonable logic.

How do you know he is referring to killayut?
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by Onlytruth(m): 9:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
ama-diva:

firstly ,i do not believe that the antagonism between the ijaw and other south south minorities on one hand and the igbo {south east} on the other is as bad as some igbo think. the igbo would definitely want us to be more united however like I've stated in my earlier post if the only goal of achieving better unity is biafra then it probably
will not improve much for now because[b] the greatest fear the rest of Nigeria and the south south have regarding igbo is IGBO DOMINANCE .[/b]
the white man says "perception is reality" and the igbo on nairaland may say they don't wish to dominate anybody but we all know how an igbo man can come into yur vicinity to trade and take over yur village .what is actually a brilliant trait could also be a hindrance {just like the Jews are perceived worldwide }.the Jews have also been persecuted worldwide partly because of the same gift of industry .
as far as the current relationship btw igbo and ijaw there are lots of igbo doing ,business's in rivers state ,bayelsa
warri etc infact lots of igbo own shops in yenagoa .even in the rural areas of rivers and bayelsa there are igbos living and conducting business peacefully .the high rates of intermarriage also shows that the perceived antagonism is not so bad .i personally do not believe that in Nigeria today the ijaw have less affection for the igbo than any other majority ethnicity .
the civil war also strained political relationships between both groups . hopefully people are healing .and my igbo cousins should realise that the ijaw also lost people who fought for biafra.

Oh I know! cool

The thing about fear though is that it is mainly based on illogical and unrealistic things. undecided undecided

Let me explain quickly.

What makes the Igbo a dominant force in Nigeria (and potentially the world), is the same thing that made the Igbo the first Nigerian tribe in this year's commonwealth games to win a gold medal. The Igbo was also the first Nigerian tribe to win an Olympic gold medal.

That same spirit is why Enyimba football club became the only Nigeria team to ever win the African champions league cup, and they did so[b] TWICE[/b]. No other Nigeria team has achieved that feat.

That same spirit is why a novel written by Chinua Achebe in 1958 is still mesmerizing the world in 2010. I can go on.

My point is that the Igbo spirit will dominate THE WORLD in one field or another, sooner or later. So if fear is the appropriate response by Nigerians and our neighbors to our achievements, then, you guys should be very very very fearful because we are not done yet. In fact we are only warming up! cool cool cool

My least concern as a rampaging and hard working Igbo man is what my insecure neighbor thinks. undecided
If he cannot rise to the challenge of competing with me, well, tough luck. undecided

If Igbo continue with their ways, and I believe we will cool, then all these fears will happen. My question to you then is,
What if it turns out not to be as bad as you feared?

The sooner you guys start accepting us for what we are, the better for you, or get ready to fight us. Nonsense. cool cool cool
Re: Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours by nanidee(f): 1:35pm On Oct 09, 2010
As far as I am concerned (i dont care if anyone thinks otherwise), the igbo origin can be traced to the jews, take it or leave it. Even some renowned men in the bible spoke igbo.

Wait, let me look for the passages in the bible where igbo was spoken. (I'll be back to type it here)

If you disagree with me, then too bad.

THE IGBOS ARE DESCENDANTS OF THE JEWS

(1) (2) (Reply)

African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery / Aliko Dangote Started Out Like An Igbo Man / Oriki Omo Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.