Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 (5631 Views)

World's Richest Became ₦360 Trillion Richer In 2017(Photos) / How Much Did You Save In 2017? / Follow Me To See How You Can Make Over 150k Weekly On This Product in 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by storge: 7:54am On Apr 24, 2018
Thank God for remittances. I wonder how this country will look especially the South

1 Like

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by BigIyanga: 7:55am On Apr 24, 2018
This amount is more than the national budget of Naija. GMB will call this laziness?? Or tomorrow some drunks will start saying that Diasporans are suffering more in abroad than in Naija,
Oh btw, they have not included goods like cars, trucks, electronics, clothes, accessories, consumables-food, wine, drinks, medicine, diapers etc
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by dominion001(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2018
This is just the official one. The ones sent through black market is more. Black market pay more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by 247Dior(m): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2018
bikerboy1:
And someone said that Nigerian youths are lazy, abi you think this money being remitted are from people above 60

Haba!!! Bubu use your head next time.
#NigerianyouthsareNOTlazy
lol..bro na yahoo boys o
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by ChidiAlaigbo: 8:34am On Apr 24, 2018
franudi:
These diasporans are mostly biafrans.

Rubbish! So bleeping untrue. YORUBA in Europe and USA. ....

Where are the Biafrans?

1 Like

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by ChidiAlaigbo: 8:37am On Apr 24, 2018
kaen1317:
Hardworking Igbo's. They deserve some accolades

Nonsense! Where us your statistics.

Come to UK and see the sheer number of Yoruba professionals, Yankee nko?

Always trying to measure dick with your masters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by desmond2pk: 8:51am On Apr 24, 2018
Ibo presidency
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Cooly100: 9:03am On Apr 24, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

Nonsense! Where us your statistics.

Come to UK and see the sheer number of Yoruba professionals, Yankee nko?

Always trying to measure dick with your masters.

Ogbeni forget UK...Igbos be your god for this one...

You are more ONLY in UK...

What about US, Canada, Russia, France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia, China, India, Brazil, Spain Holland...etc,etc,

Please take you dick measuring somewhere else.

2 Likes

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MadamT(f): 9:28am On Apr 24, 2018
I’ve been remitting money for more than 30 years and have used various money transfer organisations over the years to remit money to Nigeria.

Not once, have I or any Nigerian abroad ever been asked to state our tribe before we can remit money home. If anyone knows any different, they can present the facts here.

When we go to Western Union or wherever you go to send your money, you present (or would have presented) your ID, usually a current passport. No Data is collected regarding tribe. You send money as a Nigerian, or whichever nationality you hold, - to Nigeria. That’s it. No data is collected from us here to do with tribe. We just send money to Nigeria that’s all. So no one should come and claim that one tribe is the most hardworking, therefore remits money the most!

2 Likes

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Saintsquare(m): 9:52am On Apr 24, 2018
MadamT:
I’ve been remitting money for more than 30 years and have used various money transfer organisations over the years to remit money to Nigeria.

Not once, have I or any Nigerian abroad ever been asked to state our tribe before we can remit money home. If anyone knows any different, they can present the facts here.

When we go to Western Union or wherever you go to send your money, you present (or would have presented) your ID, usually a current passport. No Data is collected regarding tribe. You send money as a Nigerian, or whichever nationality you hold, - to Nigeria. That’s it. No data is collected from us here to do with tribe. We just send money to Nigeria that’s all. So no one should come and claim that one tribe is the most hardworking, therefore remits money the most!
You need understand inferiority complex has taken a better part of some, hence the dick measurement

2 Likes

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Cooly100: 10:27am On Apr 24, 2018
Saintsquare:
You need understand inferiority complex has taken a better part of some, hence the dick measurement

Continue deceiving yourself...that people don't know the region that remits most...

If it were your region now this thread would have reached 5 pages by now...
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Saintsquare(m): 10:41am On Apr 24, 2018
Cooly100:

Continue deceiving yourself...that people don't know the region that remits most...

If it were your region now this thread would have reached 5 pages by now...
OK your region remits most, happy now?
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by nonix22(m): 10:45am On Apr 24, 2018
what's the significance of this to the economic advancement of Nigeria

Financial Analyst help us break it down please
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Susungusu(m): 10:50am On Apr 24, 2018
Alexchubee:
Yahoo boys loot included..
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Cooly100: 11:35am On Apr 24, 2018
Saintsquare:
OK your region remits most, happy now?

Truth hurts no one!
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by Ebeano49(m): 2:06pm On Apr 24, 2018
Favbolu:
God plz make me a Nigerian living in diaspora.

Be careful what you wish for
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by BigIyanga: 2:26pm On Apr 24, 2018
Ebeano49:

Be careful what you wish for
Better than living in hell called Naija
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by ogahug: 2:31pm On Apr 24, 2018
Truth234:
Nigerians living outside the country remitted $22 billion in 2107, according to the data published by the World Bank on Monday. The amount is 16.4 percent higher than the amount sent home in 2016.

The total amount sent home reached a new record-high in 2017, however, the costs of transferring funds also surged, the report noted. The better than expected rebound in remittances, used in supporting economic activities in poor nations, was bolstered by growth in the United States, Europe, and Russia.

Also, the total remittances to low and middle-income nations rose from $429 billion in 2016 to $466 billion in 2017, an increase of 8.5 percent. While remittance inflows improved in all regions, the largest inflows were from India with $69bn, followed by China ($64bn), the Philippines ($33bn), Mexico ($31bn), Nigeria ($22bn), and Egypt ($20bn) in 2017.

The global average cost of sending $200 was put at 7.1 percent in the first quarter of 2018, and sub-Saharan Africa remains the most expensive at an average cost of 9.4 percent.

“While remittances are growing, countries, institutions, and development agencies must continue to chip away at high costs of remitting so that families receive more of the money,” said Dilip Ratha, lead author of the report.

By region, Europe and Central Asia saw the largest jump in 2017, rising by 21 percent, while Sub-Saharan Africa climbed by 11 percent in the same year.

http://investorsking.com/diasporans-remit-22-billion-in-2017/
Most of the money came from IPOB supporters abroad. That amount is going to drop this year following the proscription of IPOB.
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by omoola007(m): 2:33pm On Apr 24, 2018
That's about N7.9 trillion about same as Nigerian budget. So without this money. The economy would be comatose. Mind you this is the trackable amount there is probably about half that out that's informal.

One day we will garner our resources and build Nigeria.
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:37pm On Apr 24, 2018
humilitypays:
I said it that if not for Nigerians living abroad and the ever hardworking Nigerian youths engaging in legal online freelance jobs thereby bringing in huge FOREX into Nigeria, the recession would have continued till 2020 or beyond.

Nigerians are very hardworking and creative people. Despite the useless leaders and governments they have had over the years, you can't take away the fact that Nigerians are super hardworking and creative.
so hardworking yet can't feed themselves

But sadly, since 2016, CBN increased the bank charges on funds sent from abroad for no justifiable reason and still we can't see what they use these taxes for.

Sometimes I imagine how great Nigeria would have been if we had visionary leaders who are not selfish, wicked, clanish, tribalistic and corrupt like the government we have in power now, seriously, Nigeria would have been like Australia cry
nigeria can never be like Australia when Hart citizens don't understand that doing hard work is not the same as working hard
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:37pm On Apr 24, 2018
omoola007:
That's about N7.9 trillion about same as Nigerian budget. So without this money. The economy would be comatose. Mind you this is the trackable amount there is probably about half that out that's informal.

One day we will garner our resources and build Nigeria.
Nigeria's gdp is about 80 trillion.w can survive without oil and remittances
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:38pm On Apr 24, 2018
nonix22:
what's the significance of this to the economic advancement of Nigeria

Financial Analyst help us break it down please
not much
Missy of it is spent on consumption
No production

1 Like

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:39pm On Apr 24, 2018
bikerboy1:
And someone said that Nigerian youths are lazy, abi you think this money being remitted are from people above 60

Haba!!! Bubu use your head next time.
#NigerianyouthsareNOTlazy
very lazy
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:40pm On Apr 24, 2018
great664:
Why only Nigerians living abroad?

What about Freelancers living in Nigeria that are using same remittance to receive their earnings?

What about Bloggers using Adsense and other ad agencies

Also, remember Yahoo guys as well as yahoo plus people too.

Please give every party their due respect
how many una be
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by BigIyanga: 9:22pm On Apr 24, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
Nigeria's gdp is about 80 trillion.w can survive without oil and remittances
Zombie and lazy reasoning.
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by ChidiAlaigbo: 3:07pm On Apr 25, 2018
Cooly100:

Ogbeni forget UK...Igbos be your god for this one...

You are more ONLY in UK...

What about US, Canada, Russia, France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia, China, India, Brazil, Spain Holland...etc,etc,

Please take you dick measuring somewhere else.

1 million strong Yoruba community in UK and 2nd generation. ....

USA Germany France

You are such a big liar!

1 Like

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MIKOLOWISKA: 1:05am On Apr 26, 2018
BigIyanga:

Zombie and lazy reasoning.
wetin we go call you wen no reason at all
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by kabarka(m): 12:56pm On May 18, 2018
MadamT:

Madam, if I want to receive money from abroad to nigeria via western union.what do I do?
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by MadamT(f): 8:41am On Jun 02, 2018
kabarka:

Madam, if I want to receive money from abroad to nigeria via western union.what do I do?

Hello.
Just seeing your post.
Do you mean if you want to remit money from abroad or receive the money sent from abroad in Nigeria?

Can’t speak authoritatively about WU’ workings in Nigeria as I don’t live there. However, I believe that money sent via any Western Union abroad can be collected in any of their branches in Nigeria or banks.

I don’t use Western Union here anymore anyway. Many of us now use other reputable money transfer organisations as these ones offer services where our remitted money is transferred, within minutes, directly into recipients’ personal or business bank accounts.

1 Like

Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by yinkeys(m): 3:15pm On Sep 08, 2018
grandstar:

Use worldremit.com.

Best in the world, low fees (£2.99) and direct into your account!
Please do expect the same exchange rate in naira that shows on worldremit site
I don't know the $ to naira exchange rate of recieve when using worldremit
Re: Diasporans Remit $22 Billion In 2017 by grandstar(m): 10:43pm On Sep 08, 2018
yinkeys:

Please do expect the same exchange rate in naira that shows on worldremit site
I don't know the $ to naira exchange rate of recieve when using worldremit

It is my sister that uses it to send money down. I've seen her use it. They tell you their rate which is actually quite good.

Download their app to know more

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ideas Please - Need To Send Cargo From Lagos To Accra / Blog Comment Exchange "(let's Do This) / What Is A Ibpu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.