Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? (46086 Views)

These Pictures Is An Indication That All Is Not Well With Nigeria. / Kanu Nwankwo Joins FIFA Legends In Russia, See His Wife's Reaction (Photos) / Wow. Who Remembers These Nigerian Female Athletes/legends In Barcelona Olympics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by CheedyJ(m): 9:38pm On Apr 28, 2018
naptu2:

These are the most famous wrestlers on Nigerian TV in their respective generations. The wrestler at number 1 is in the picture above.

1) ?

2) Hulk Hogan

3) Stone Cold Steve Austin

4) The Rock

5) John Cena

(some will include the Von Erichs between number 1 and number 2)
I am on 4 bottles but it's like u re d one getting high...where d hell is John cena from dat picz,eh...
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by HomeOfMe(f): 9:45pm On Apr 28, 2018
naptu2:
These four wrestlers were once among the most famous wrestlers on Nigerian television. Three of them actually fought in Nigeria at different times. Can you name them.

1) Here they are in cartoon form.

2) These are live pictures of the same wrestlers.

I have a very good memory of my childhood,so I remember 1&2which àre mighty igho and mill mascarah,not sure of the exact name. I was in pry 1
. Mighty igho was once lodged at stadium hotel iyun road surulere,just on the same street as my school. I remember him throwing us chocolate candies that he came with.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by grafixdon: 10:17pm On Apr 28, 2018
naptu2:
Ox Baker and Dick The Bulldog Brower were among the most hated wrestlers on Nigerian TV in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Ox Baker often wore a plaster of Paris cast on his right hand and he had a very powerful punch (called the Heart Punch). Some speculated that his punch was powerful because of something that was in the POP cast.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7023264_91af8d1d74069201b9b65a23ca2dc605_jpeg307937c7d899d969b53bb4a9fabdf966

He came to Nigeria in the late 1980s (sometime around 1986-1989) and lost to Power Uti of Nigeria at the National Stadium in Lagos.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7019080_images25_jpegfdc0c25cc0e64b891974eb2fdea8615a

There was hype that Ox Baker had killed several wrestlers with his Heart Punch and this caused a riot at one of Ox Baker’s matches in 1974. People thought that wrestling was real in the 1970s and early 1980s and Ox Baker was relentlessly punching this guy to the extent that the fans thought that he was going to kill him. The fans stormed the ring and Ox Baker and the other wrestler had to flee to safety. Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRFrOb00xnA

Sir, you have an awesome childhood. You're too smart and knowledgeable

1 Like

Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:41pm On Apr 28, 2018
naptu2:

These are the most famous wrestlers on Nigerian TV in their respective generations. The wrestler at number 1 is in the picture above.

1) ?

2) Hulk Hogan

4) The Rock

5) John Cena

what about JIMMY the super fly sunukar!
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Ishilove: 10:43pm On Apr 28, 2018
jnrbayano:

He influenced Tonga Kid, Ray Mysterio etc
Watching Mill Mascaras again after all these years, I felt like I was watching a bigger, taller version of Rey Mysterio. It's pretty obvious who influenced Rey
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by stagger: 10:57pm On Apr 28, 2018
Mighty Igor, Tex McKenzie, Mil Mascaras and Ox Baker. I remember when Ox Baker came to Lagos and got beaten up by Power Uti. See people running away from the guy when he went gaga outside the ring after the fight; that's how feared Ox Baker was.

They were part of the IWA promotion that was famous in the mid 1970s. Other wrestlers on that roaster were the Love Brothers, the Mongols, Ernie Lad, TJ Patterson, Dick "the Bulldog" Brower, Argentina Apollo, Luis "Arriba" Martinez, Rip Hawk, Luscious Larry, etc.

I believe only Mil Mascaras and one of the Mongols (Nikolai Volkoff) out of the entire roaster I just mentioned are still with us.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by stagger: 11:00pm On Apr 28, 2018
naptu2:
I can still remember that day in 1984. I had to attend a party that I really didn't want to go to. Luckily I got home by 7 and I immediately went to the TV. The 7 o'clock news was on and that's how I heard that the Mighty Igor had lost. I was shocked.

Ray Apollon messed him up. I think there was a mishap in that fight and Igor broke his waist. He was attended to with ice packs. Watched that fight on NTA, when NTA was NTA and they could broadcast anything. Not now when they can't even show Naija's matches.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by stagger: 11:08pm On Apr 28, 2018
cashful:
Chai, person don old o...lol

I saw most of the wrestlers when they came to Nigeria, some of them were lodged at Kilo hotels in Surulere and freely walked the streets..

Remembered seeing also Eric the red, Luis Martinez (Ariba).. they were two cowboys back then, Ted McKenzie and d other guy (can't remember is name now)..

@naptu you remember that song that starts the show, there's a local way we use to sing it back then..

Mill mascara,
Mighty Igor,
Argentina Apollo

There were also those 2 dwarfs ... Wow, wrestling was close to real back then..

Cowboy Bob Ellis
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by excel101(m): 11:31pm On Apr 28, 2018
Bulldog Brower, Mill Mascaras, Tex Mkenzie, Ox Baker.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 28, 2018
The dude in red trousers.. cheesy grin grin grin...hilarious is an understatement.
Was that pose meant to look intimidating?

Don't know any of the others are joor.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by cosmos1440: 12:08am On Apr 29, 2018
I doff my hat for you "naptu2".
I used to think I was one of the oldest nairalanders, but reading the comments here, I realized that I must have been a primary school pulpil when naptu2 and his pals are already preparing for their final exams in secondary schools.
Also, I only remember mighty igor , mill mascra and bulldog browers names I cant remember any of their fights although I watched some of their fights.
But I remembered vividly, the von Eric brothers, the love birds, the texas tornado, and hulk hogan`s fights where they usually beat him to a stupor, but at the end he wakes up and beat his opponent for less than a minute and wins the fight.

once again, I salute naptu2.

off to YouTube to watch those old fights
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by cashful(m): 1:09am On Apr 29, 2018
naptu2:

Sandokan was also the name of a very popular adventure movie and series that was shown in the '70s and early '80s, hence the confusion.

lol.. why naa naptu2, Sandokan, the sword/cutlass carrying super hero.. lovely memories.
I had a wooden shaped sword that I kept ..hahaha
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by haryomikun(m): 1:10am On Apr 29, 2018
[color=#000099][/color]
Ishilove:

Hian. 1975. Naptu my parents were not even married in 1975
cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy Kill me
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Karence(f): 2:26am On Apr 29, 2018
armadeo:
Mighty Igor.

Mill mascara.

Ox baker

Don't know the last dude
Tito Santana
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by suremanpatriot: 3:02am On Apr 29, 2018
Mill maskara, Tex mankenze, grin grin my great grand father and uncle grin grin
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by suremanpatriot: 3:03am On Apr 29, 2018
Mill maskara, Tex mankenze, grin grin my great grand father and uncle
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by suremanpatriot: 3:04am On Apr 29, 2018
Mill maskara, Tex mankenze, grin grin
my great grand father and uncle
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Alal(m): 3:07am On Apr 29, 2018
Thank you for this, thank you
naptu2:

The Mighty Igor was the most popular wrestler on Nigerian TV in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He was billed as a strong man from Poland. He had a habit of bringing Polish sausages to the arena and sharing them with fans. He also liked taking pictures with fans, especially little kids. He rarely talked during interviews (his manager spoke on his behalf). He was probably the most popular wrestler in the IWA.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7023216_22212912223784ceb368b_jpegc0abe29ec4279434b37f2730f813d59d

In Nigeria back then, anything that was larger than usual, more powerful than usual or heavy duty was nicknamed “Mighty Igor”.

Igor came to Nigeria in 1984 and fought in what was probably the biggest wrestling event in Nigeria’s history. Wrestlers came from all over the world to fight at that event. The Mighty Igor shockingly lost to Ray Apollon of Trinidad and Tobago at the National Stadium in Lagos.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7019078_images27_jpeg9558ce497dee611b51ac395d135d559c

The other wrestler in this video would have been the fifth wrestler in my question. Dick The Bulldog Brower was fond of biting other wrestlers and acting like a wild man. Back then, any kid in Nigeria that loved to bite people was nicknamed Bulldog Brower.

The Mighty Igor vs D.ick The Bulldog Brower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUsUzQETFUw
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by thowbie7ven(m): 4:31am On Apr 29, 2018
naptu2:

1) ?

2) Hulk Hogan

4) The Rock

5) John Cena

Warrior
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Emycord: 4:51am On Apr 29, 2018
hinograce:
I don't know any and I'm among the Nintendo generation of mid 80s this wrestlers must have been in d 70s
Thanks For Your honesty hinograce
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by goodvision12(m): 6:26am On Apr 29, 2018
In as much as i appreciate and love this commentary on wrestling here not all wrestling matches are fake.Some of the matches i have watched in recent times are real.Take for instance the recent match between Roman Reigns and Brock lesnar.Can you tell me that match is fake if actually you watched it at wrestlemania?
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 6:38am On Apr 29, 2018
goodvision12:
In as much as i appreciate and love this commentary on wrestling here not all wrestling matches are fake.Some of the matches i have watched in recent times are real.Take for instance the recent match between Roman Reigns and Brock lesnar.Can you tell me that match is fake if actually you watched it at wrestlemania?

Wrestling is neither fake or real. It is entertainment. The WWF/WWE is one of the first organisations to admit this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by goodvision12(m): 6:46am On Apr 29, 2018
naptu2:

Wrestling is neither fake or real. It is entertainment. The WWF/WWE is one of the first organisations to admit this.
sports itself is entertainment E.G football
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 6:49am On Apr 29, 2018
goodvision12:

Read this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 6:57am On Apr 29, 2018
goodvision12:
sports itself is entertainment E.G football

You don't understand what I was referring to. The WWF/WWE has openly admitted that wrestling is scripted. I've listened to hundreds of interviews with wrestling officials, wrestlers, etc over the past almost 40 years and they easily admit that it is scripted.

It is done in a very professional way to create an illusion, for example, Abdullah The Butcher often brought small razor blades into the ring with which he cut himself in order to bleed, to create the impression that his opponent had cut him.

A good example is what the WWF did in 1985. Bob Backlund was the champion. He was very popular. The WWF wanted to transfer the championship to Hulk Hogan who was also very popular, but they didn't want to diminish either wrestler's brand. So they created a situation where Bob Backlund lost to the Iron Shiekh and then Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Shiekh at Wrestlemania 1. The wrestlers knew the results of the matches before the matches began. Of course the fans at home won't know this.

This does not mean that injuries and accidents do not happen during a match. They do.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:17am On Apr 29, 2018
naptu2:

You don't understand what I was referring to. The WWF/WWE has openly admitted that wrestling is scripted. I've listened to hundreds of interviews with wrestling officials, wrestlers, etc over the past almost 40 years and they easily admit that it is scripted.

It is done in a very professional way to create an illusion, for example, Abdullah The Butcher often brought small razor blades into the ring with which he cut himself in order to bleed, to create the impression that his opponent had cut him.

A good example is what the WWF did in 1985. Bob Backlund was the champion. He was very popular. The WWF wanted to transfer the championship to Hulk Hogan who was also very popular, but they didn't want to diminish either wrestler's brand. So they created a situation where Bob Backlund lost to the Iron Shiekh and then Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Shiekh at Wrestlemania 1. The wrestlers knew the results of the matches before the matches began. Of course the fans at home won't know this.

This does not mean that injuries and accidents do not happen during a match. They do.
I nearly cried when I discovered that Wrestling was scripted, I remember staying all night to watch Shawn Michaels versus Triple H versus Chris Benoit in wrestlemania 20 or so,

That was the last wrestlemania or mainstream wrestling I took interest in, it was so realistic, so intriguing, only to discover it was Acting.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 7:21am On Apr 29, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

I nearly cried when I discovered that Wrestling was scripted, I remember staying all night to watch Shawn Michaels versus Triple H versus Chris Benoit in wrestlemania 20 or so,

That was the last wrestlemania or mainstream wrestling I took interest in, it was so realistic, so intriguing, only to discover it was Acting.

I still enjoy wrestling, even though it's scripted. Think about it this way, Hollywood movies are scripted and billions of people pay a lot of money to watch them anyway, so why not wrestling. All you need to enjoy wrestling is suspension of disbelief, same as with movies.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by CloudResident(m): 7:21am On Apr 29, 2018
Wait what about our own Power Uti, Mike Bamidele, Ladi the African Tiger..? grin
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by supereagle(m): 7:22am On Apr 29, 2018
armadeo:
Mighty Igor.

Mill mascara.

Ox baker

Don't know the last dude

Argentina Apollo.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 7:23am On Apr 29, 2018
CloudResident:
Wait what about our own Power Uti, Mike Bamidele, Ladi the African Tiger..? grin

Elephando Bassey, Ben Lionheart

And before them, Power Mike and Killwe Nwachukwu
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by goodvision12(m): 7:46am On Apr 29, 2018
naptu2:

yes the matches are scripted i agree for the good of the game.The script here represents many things in WWE.For instance not all wrestlers can fight in a cage fight like Hell in a cell.Before they go into this fights they sign an agreement that whatever comes out of it during or at the end of the match is binding on the wrestlers.In the insurers world we call it VOLENTI NON FIT INJURIA WHICH MEANS CONSENT TO INJURY OR CONTRACT.In WWE the script is designed for rules and guidelines of the game.Any wrestler who operates outside the script is penalized.
Re: Can You Name The 4 Wrestling Legends In These Pictures? by naptu2: 7:47am On Apr 29, 2018
goodvision12:
yes the matches are scripted i agree for the good of the game.The script here represents many things in WWE.For instance not all wrestlers can fight in a cage fight like Hell in a cell.Before they go into this fights they sign an agreement that whatever comes out of it during or at the end of the match is binding on the wrestlers.In the insurers world we call it VOLENTI NON FIT INJURIA WHICH MEANS CONSENT TO INJURY OR CONTRACT.In WWE the script is designed for rules and guidelines of the game.Any wrestler who operates outside the script is penalized.

Good, so we are in agreement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet A-Jay Okocha, Jay Jay Okocha's Son (Pictured) / Osimhen And Chukwueze Led Praise And Worship During New Players Initiation / South Africans Happy Not To Have Qualified For Russia 2018 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.