Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,132 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing (32034 Views)

Glo Introduces New Mega Data Plans / Glo Introduces New Data Plan. 2GB For N500, 4GB For N1000, 180GB For N20,000 / Glo Introduces New Improved Data Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Awoofawo(m): 7:38pm On Apr 25, 2018
Andotee:
give glo a trial. Their data bundle is the best. Especially for heavy users
Glo on which my 2k worth data is hanging on their useless network....have try all the networks mtn and airtel dey zap data like basket leaking water and glo snail even fast pass am......was so vexed last week Thursday that I got myself Spectranet pebble mifi.......have relative peace of mind since.
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Operette(m): 7:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
People complaining about mtn zapping data should probably get a data counter app. (my data manager works in most cases) and then most importantly 'freeze' play store. It seems to update every 2 days or sooner. Especially when your internet is idle and when you open an app with IAP prices.
Lastly, you might want to disable data when you are not using it. Some apps like DU Apps (Battery saver, clean master, etc) download updates themselves before prompting you to 'update'. Better to avoid other apps that use plenty of data.

That said I have rolled up 5,9gb data within the last 9mths. And yes I tether to my laptop most of the time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by themanderon: 8:17pm On Apr 25, 2018
This one as usual will be the theoretical speed. The actual speed will be a far cry from what will be obtainable. Glo and their yeye claims. Don't get your hopes high people.

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by thunderbabs: 8:27pm On Apr 25, 2018
Upon all the submarine fibre optics, network go dey disappear for phone. Internet slow like buhari
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by slimdamatrix1(m): 8:31pm On Apr 25, 2018
I hope their network improves indeed.

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 25, 2018
I'm not interested my 9mobile N200 for 1GB is enough for me

3 Likes

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by alenwup(m): 8:43pm On Apr 25, 2018
Let somebody tell me Glo is good in Abuja coz the Glo I know is the worst network

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Chijohn42k(m): 8:46pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ewlery:

I am just sick of the useless network event Airtel doesn't work here
U sure say somebody else no dey tap ur data
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by nelsonebby(m): 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2018
Andotee:
every four days? That is tremendous
I have spent 20k this month on mtn.
This screenshot is for my phone alone
And I don’t even download

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by babapressy(m): 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
Great effort

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by oluwasegun007(m): 8:58pm On Apr 25, 2018
Make them ask MTN where dem buy their cable from...

So I go fit migrate.
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by neomatrix1027(m): 9:01pm On Apr 25, 2018
Glô should add another 4G band. Their band 28 is becoming useless. And their wack network.
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by nextstep(m): 9:25pm On Apr 25, 2018
dongc:
sometimes i wonder who advises companies on investment...they are now going to spend billions on an infrastructure that is readily available..main one already has this..companies can share net with main one and cut cost... in Sweden we have top 4 biggest networks(telia,telenor,tele2,comviq all use same net...companies go joint junction in stuffs like this..but no in Nigeria everyone should open the road and install fiber optics one after another...the same for electricity ..same grid and channel but different provider....our country stuck 40 years behind

... and what network do you think MTN et al use to access Facebook, Nairaland, or Google servers? Glo-1 and MainOne. They get tons of revenue from all the operators that run data over their lines, even if "their cellular network is slow".

Have you seen the number of fiber lines between UK and USA? Or Japan and USA? Each one done by different companies and consortiums over the years. I'm very proud that one private Nigerian company will soon have two self-funded fiberoptic submarine cables.

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by whiteprince(m): 9:40pm On Apr 25, 2018
Andotee:

Not true bcus Globacom is the fastest network here in Abuja

that's true
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by whiteprince(m): 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2018
vidid2all:

Chai, see your life!!!!

Glo no fast for Abuja biko.
lie mohammed
Say what u know in ur area and don't generalise it...
For me side e day blaze like fire �, infact due to the blazing power,the data day zap away like vapour
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by elonize(m): 9:52pm On Apr 25, 2018
Na una sabi,if una like,mk una do air cable, i nogo sub una again

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by dondada78(m): 10:08pm On Apr 25, 2018
Wrong. MTN has her own submarine cable system called WACS
nextstep:

... and what network do you think MTN et al use to access Facebook, Nairaland, or Google servers? Glo-1 and MainOne. They get tons of revenue from all the operators that run data over their lines, even if "their cellular network is slow".

Have you seen the number of fiber lines between UK and USA? Or Japan and USA? Each one done by different companies and consortiums over the years. I'm very proud that one private Nigerian company will soon have two self-funded fiberoptic submarine cables.
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by nextstep(m): 10:18pm On Apr 25, 2018
dongc:
sometimes i wonder who advises companies on investment...they are now going to spend billions on an infrastructure that is readily available..main one already has this..companies can share net with main one and cut cost... in Sweden we have top 4 biggest networks(telia,telenor,tele2,comviq all use same net...companies go joint junction in stuffs like this..but no in Nigeria everyone should open the road and install fiber optics one after another...the same for electricity ..same grid and channel but different provider....our country stuck 40 years behind

Have you seen the number of fiber lines between UK and USA? Or Japan and USA? Each one done by different companies and consortiums over the years. I'm very proud that one private Nigerian company will soon have two self-funded fiberoptic submarine cables. The more cables, the more capacity, the better. For a country of 170+million, we need like 50 cables: several direct to Europe, South Africa, USA, Brazil, China, India, Korea, and Japan. You can't compare Sweden - a country of 9 million, less than 1/2 the population of Lagos - to Nigeria.

For those laughing at Glo's cellular speeds, ... what fiber optic network do you think people using MTN use to access Facebook, WhatsApp, Nairaland, or Youtube? Glo-1 and MainOne. What about web hosting, payments processing, banks, email? Glo-1 and MainOne. Glo gets tons of revenue from all the operators that run data over their lines, even if "their own cellular network is slow".

*correction* Just got a reminder about MTN's cable:
dondada78:
Wrong. MTN has her own submarine cable system called WACS
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by IBBG(m): 10:39pm On Apr 25, 2018
dammiedot:
9mobile and aortell don not have a submarine cable and there data service ain't has wacked as glo...what difference will this make....crappy network
hahahahahahha
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by montumonami(m): 10:41pm On Apr 25, 2018
Andotee:
every four days? That is tremendous
mine is 3days... MTN and airtel are scammers... I have spent over 6k data in less than 4 weeks
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by IBBG(m): 10:42pm On Apr 25, 2018
justscorchone:
I'm not interested my 9mobile N200 for 1GB is enough for me
bro it seems 9mobile has stop it o.
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by storge: 10:45pm On Apr 25, 2018
Most people here didn't bother reading the part where the cable is from Nigeria to Nigeria and mainly to serve oil companies...

Nigeria has a lot of under utilised submarine cable systems so our problem is not the infrastructure... None of the 4 installed systems we have is utilised at up to 50 percent design capacity...

So this is not news

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by guji12(m): 10:47pm On Apr 25, 2018
Andotee:

Mtn zaps data faster than a lion running after a bush meat
Then Airtel runs like a Cheetah..
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 25, 2018
IBBG:
bro it seems 9mobile has stop it o.

Mine is working just fine,I subscribed 30mins ago

1 Like

Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Horus(m): 8:10am On Apr 26, 2018
BalleyB:
So when will this start? I need the fast data

The answer is in the video. Glo 2 will be executed during 18 months
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by dbynonetwork: 8:59am On Apr 26, 2018
Andotee:

Not true bcus Globacom is the fastest network here in Abuja

A big lie bros.... I once used glo here and I tell u there network was so disastrous...Even in places like maitama and some part of Garki Area 11, to open a web browser take minutes... You can't even watch an online video while in a moving vehicle....
Honestly I would never advice my enemies to use the GLO network...
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2018
GeneralOjukwu:
Nigerians, support indigenous companies to grow.

If not for Glo, MTN lied in 2004 that per second billing was impossible till 2007

The same way DSTV, Shoprite have market dominance and exploit Nigerians with the connivance of our leaders is what telecoms would have still been.

YES, i use a GLOBACOM line kiss though they have network issues in a lot of places, very good in the North kiss
Why is their network good in North?
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by GeneralOjukwu: 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2018
asuustrike1:

Why is their network good in North?

I don't know...you tell me
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 26, 2018
Operette:
People complaining about mtn zapping data should probably get a data counter app. (my data manager works in most cases) and then most importantly 'freeze' play store. It seems to update every 2 days or sooner. Especially when your internet is idle and when you open an app with IAP prices.
Lastly, you might want to disable data when you are not using it. Some apps like DU Apps (Battery saver, clean master, etc) download updates themselves before prompting you to 'update'. Better to avoid other apps that use plenty of data.

That said I have rolled up 5,9gb data within the last 9mths. And yes I tether to my laptop most of the time.
That doesn't change the fact that mtn still zap data even with data counter
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 26, 2018
GeneralOjukwu:

I don't know...you tell me
I don't know that is why I asked
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by dongc(m): 5:09pm On Apr 26, 2018
nextstep:

Have you seen the number of fiber lines between UK and USA? Or Japan and USA?[b] Each one done by different companies and consortiums over the years. I'm very proud that one private Nigerian company will soon have two self-funded fib[/b][b][/b][b][/b]eroptic submarine cables.

i do not agree that having many makes it better ..main has a capacity of 1280 Gbit/s .. running ten sub marine cables of 40gbsits does not show improvement.. companies need to build and utilize almost max capacity..how many fiber lines are running through europe ? https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

The ACE (African Coast to Europe) submarine communications cable is a cable system along the west coast of Africa between France and South Africa managed by a consortium of 19 operators & administrations headed by Orange

Atlantis-2 design capacity 160 Gbit/s
Currently lit capacity 40 Gbit/s

SAT-3 has a capacity of 340 Gbit/s while SAFE has a capacity of 440 Gbit/s. The SAT-3 system together with SAFE was built by a consortium of operators .[1] As of 2006, major investors included Telkom Group (about 13%),[2] France Telecom (12.08%), Nitel (8.39%); TCI, a subsidiary of AT&T Inc. (12.42%); and VSNL (8.93%).
Re: Glo Introduces Glo 2 Submarine Cable For High Speed Data And Browsing by Konquest: 10:28am On Apr 27, 2018
Andotee:
In line with its status as the game changer in telecommunications services provision in Nigeria, Globacom limited has again taken another step towards the transformation of the ICT landscape in Nigeria with the construction of a multi-billion naira optic fibre submarine cable.

[B]Glo 2,[/b] the road map for the project was unveiled at a contract-signing ceremony between the national operator, Globacom, and global telecom solutions vendors, Huawei at Eko Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, on Tuesday.

According to Globacom’s Regional Director, Technical, Mr Sanjib Roy

“The new submarine cable will be approximately 850 kilometres long and will be integrated to Globacom’s existing terrestrial Backbone Network to provide additional service redundancy”, especially in Abuja and other parts of the country. Glo 2 will have the capacity of 12 Terabytes per second and will provide ultra-high speed connection to oil platforms and communities to empower data coverage and support Enterprise market growth in this part of Nigeria.”

Also speaking, the Managing Director of Huawei Nigeria, Mr Li Beifang, said that:

“Huawei is proud to partner with Globacom to build a revolutionary submarine cable using innovative and leading technology. We believe the cable would bring a new era of digitalization to Nigerian economy”.

Glo2 complements the Glo 1 international submarine cable built by Globacom in 2010. It is the only international submarine cable in Nigeria managed end to end, from Lagos to London, by one Company and currently provides sufficient bandwidth for the West Africa sub-region.

Source:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/broadband-penetration-glo-huawei-sign-contract-for-laying-glo-2-submarine-cable.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzO4Nwo9JjY?t=12
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
Slow unlimited... Slow with pride! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Do You Think About People Who Use A 'tablet' As A Phone? / A Nairalander Unboxes His Brand New BB OS 7.1 Device / 5 Must Have Accessories For Smartphone Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.